Subject: Bearpaw's Nightmare at Hill Manor IC Game 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the In Character thread for the Nightmare at Hill Manor PBF game for game 1.

Rules Reference Thread
Character Geeklist
Game 1 OOC thread

Players in Game 1:

James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Thomas Booth

(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Playing Nicky Sims

Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Rachel O' Hara

Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Michael Nero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hill Manor Apartments is an eight-story apartment building dating from the early 20th century. While not exactly up to modern standards, the rent is low and the building lies right in the city center, which is quite convenient.

Being all tenants in the same building with apartments on the 6th floor, you are familiar with each other because of that proximity, and know each other well enough to get together for biweekly poker games, put together by Janice from 3C. Beyond that, a nod in the hall, a hand getting furniture into the old-fashioned elevators or maybe a few short conversations here and there is the extent of your interactions.

It was Janice that has always been the glue that binds the community together. She’s an average looking woman in her mid-to-late 30’s, with shoulder-length brown hair and glasses. Janice makes the effort to go from door to door and invite neighbors to various social gatherings she puts together. She moved to the city from a small town – the kind, she says, where everyone knew one another like family. You suspect she misses that connection, which is why she does what she can to foster a microcosm here in Hill Manor.

The character backgrounds might have some additional info on relationships within the building. I'll leave the amount of details you know about each other up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have all lived in the Hill Manor long enough to have a vague sense of the history of the building, if only from reading the plaque from the local historical society on the wall outside.
Apparantly the architect incorporated salvaged metalwork and tile taken from the original manor house, and the keystone of the building bears the original engraved Hill Manor sign.

We start our story at your biweekly poker game, set up in the common room on the sixth floor, which is used for birthday parties, neighborhood watch meetings and other events. The walls are the same dingy beige as the rest of the building, and the plaster is cracked and flaking. The once-green carpet is almost black with wear under the folding table Janice drags out from a storage closet in the corner each game. A cheap chandelier lights the room adequately. It's not a dive, but it's not exactly new, either.

The table's set up, and the chips are down. You were all a little late in getting home from work, thanks to road construction out front. Even Janice was late, and she's the one who keeps everything organized and sets up the game. But there she is, in her green dealer's visor, shuffling the deck. She smiles at each of you as you take your seats.

"Sorry guys," she says. "I didn't have time to get the snacks together. I figured it'd be best if I got you set up and going before I run back down to grab them."

Regarding the poker game, you can ante up 10 dollars in chips to buy into the hand, and you now have two choices to try and improve your chances: you can try and bluff (roll Manipulation + Subterfuge) or cheat (roll Wits + Larceny). Or offcourse you can play it fair and take your chances!

Decide what you want to do, and then we'll see who wins the hand afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to bluff my way through. 1d10rr[10]c[8] = (1) = 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 103931. Jamesbv7
  • 1d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (1) =
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 1:50 am
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When at home, Nicky plays for fun: he actually enjoys an opportunity, for a change, to do things that are not pushed on him. So certainly no cheating here. But a game is a game, and he knows how to play it.
Although his hand is nothing to write home about, he imitates a satisfied smile and a clumsy attempt to hide it.
Nicky is going to bluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael's had a rough day at work, and it shows. His mind is not really on the game. He'll play his cards as he gets them, without trying to bluff or cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas tries to bluff his way through the first hand, unfortunately the others don't seem quite convinced by Thomas' fake grin as he is dealt his cards. After everyone has been dealt their cards, Janice gets up and leaves the room to fetch the snacks from her apartment.

Nicky's bluff 4d10rr[10]c[8] = (10 (10 10 6) 4 1 4) = 3

Nicky on the other hand, is a lot more successfull into fooling everybody that he's got that killer hand. Now everyone waits on what Rachel is gonna do with her cards.

Nicky succeeds at his bluff, and gets +3 dice on the final roll when playing this hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104170. Bearpaw
  • 4d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (10 (10 10 6) 4 1 4) =
  • Nicky's bluff
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:29 pm
  • [+]
  • 104173. Bearpaw
  • 3d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (9 3 8) =
  • Thomas
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:33 pm
  • [+]
  • 104174. Bearpaw
  • 3d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (4 7 8) =
  • Rachel
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:33 pm
  • [+]
  • 104175. Bearpaw
  • 4d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (10 (5) 4 10 (2) 4) =
  • Mike
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:34 pm
  • [+]
  • 104217. Bearpaw
  • 2d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (1 10 (10 5) =
  • Nicky
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 7:28 pm
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
As cool as the diceroller is, this would have been awesome with real dice. 10 - reroll - 10 - reroll - 10!

Michael shifts uneasily in his chair, watching the -fake?- smiles on the other guys' faces, and the ponderous look in Rachels eyes. Checking his cards again, he shrugs, noticeably. Eh, it might be enough. Michael's hoping Janice returns quickly with the snacks. He hasn't eaten much, and there's a funny taste in his mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachel, while certainly one for justice and the truth, loves Poker as it gives her a chance to shove the truth where the sun don't shine. The Irish gambling streak in her comes out and she bluffs her way into the first hand of the night.

Manipulation 3
No Subterfuge.

Bluff roll 3d10rr[10]c[8] = (9 3 4) = 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104215. Bifford
  • 3d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (9 3 4) =
  • Bluff roll
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 7:18 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachel feebly tries to act cool as she receives her cards, but the boys all see clear through it. The time has come to call or fold, and show people what you've got!

Everyone can now play their hand by rolling Manipulation + Subterfuge, with Nicky getting +3 bonus dice on his roll due to his very succesfull bluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachel lays her hand down.

Manip+Subter=My hand 3d10rr[10]c[8] = (9 10 (7) 5) = 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104221. Bifford
  • 3d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (9 10 (7) 5) =
  • Manip+Subter=My hand
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 7:40 pm
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike flips over his cards 2d10rr[10]c[8] = (3 10 (4) = 1, then slumps back in his seat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104242. purplewurple
  • 2d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (3 10 (4) =
  • Mike flips over his cards
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 8:21 pm
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nicky shows his hand: 7d10rr[10]c[8] = (10 (3) 4 8 8 8 6 10 (6) = 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104313. schizoid
  • 7d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (10 (3) 4 8 8 8 6 10 (6) =
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 10:02 pm
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Satisified, he turns to Thomas: "They call it showdown on purpose, you know. What have you got?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1d10rr[10]c[8] = (3) = 0

here goes nothing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104472. Jamesbv7
  • 1d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (3) =
  • Wed Feb 8, 2012 6:08 am
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Whoa, Nick! Way to start the evening! I hope Janice returns quickly, so we can play the next hand. Unfortunately, I have to leave you guys early tonight; they got me doing another ambulance shift again." Michael suppresses a yawn, as he looks towards the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachel looked at Mike. "Seriously? Mike, I admire hard work and determination to succeed but you are running yourself into the ground! Pretty soon it will be you in the back of an ambulance having collapsed. Or worse yet, you'll hurt someone else!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicky wins the hand with a huge bluff and a three of a kind! He pulls his winnings towards him, the cards get dealt again and the game moves along.

Suddenly, from upstairs, you hear POP! POP!, two gunshots! Then, after a few seconds, POP! a third shot goes off. Almost immediately, there's a tiny, almost imperceptible shudder in the building, which feels like a minor earthquake that shakes the poker chips on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Obviously I hadn't seen the previous post yet

"Eh, you know how it is, Rachel. Gotta do what you gotta do, right? But thanks... I'll be fine. How 'bout you, though? Caught any killers, lately?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the moment I hear that I start running up stares to the sound. this may be a pore area but we look after our own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Whoa, gunshots?!" Michael jumps up, hitting his knee on the edge of the table, grimacing. Chips scatter over the table, and Michael's chair falls back with a loud clatter. "Somebody call the cops! Oh, uh, Rachel?" Michael fumbles in his pocket for his phone, but his hand finds a bottle of pain pills instead. With his left hand clenched around the bottle, Michael slaps his face with his right hand, to get some focus back in his weary mind. "Thomas! What are you... I've seen what a gun can do to a man! Don't try to be a hero!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
"Everyone be quiet!" Rachel says as she stands up quietly, pulling the .45 out of her handbag. She's not supposed to carry that while off-duty but Rachel never thinks of herself as off-duty so she doesn't see the harm in it.

"Let me listen! There's not that many ways out of this place.

By the end of that sentence Rachel was to the side of the common room door and ready to open it a fraction, gun held up ready and cocked.

GM: Once the others have gone quiet Rachel will pause to listen for noises on the other side, and if she hears none will open the door enough to see out. Still empty? Open door and check hall both ways. Total of about 10 seconds work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Note to GM 2: The simple fact that she heard "pop, pop. pop" and not "bang, bang. bang" tells Rachel the gun has a silencer.

However that being the case, she really should not have heard it at all. So she is very cautious as she is a bit puzzled by this.

IGNORE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nicky pushes the prize money into the inner pocket of his jacket, grabs an empty wine bottle from the table and stands on the other side of door. He keeps his eyes on Rachel, while gesturing to Michael to keep quiet.

Nicky is ready, if needed, to break the bottle's bottom and use it as a slicing weapon. Anybody who spent his teen years in a Caucasian gang can do this without thinking. ("Caucasian" like in "Chechen" )
Edited: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gunshots were quite loud, and there was no mistaking them for anything else, but they clearly came from quite a distance away, from one of the floors above you.

Once you open the door of the room, you find Janice in the hallway, without snacks and looking a bit disturbed.

"Ok, look. I'm sure it's my fault or maybe the elevator's broken, but... I can't get down to my apartment to grab the snacks. Could you come show me what I'm doing wrong?"
she asks as she nervously pushes her glasses up her nose.

I was debating what sound to use, so don't attach too much meaning to the fact that I used pop pop instead of bang bang ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] |