Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venture-Captain Dennel Hamshanks ignored all pretense of pleasantries as he pounded into the meeting room in the Grand Lodge in Absalom. "Never time to do it right, is there? Gorum see us through this, then." He grunted loudly and leveled his glare at the entire room. "Ever been to Qadira? Religion is almost a fad down there, with new cults springing up like weeds and getting crushed just as quickly. It has been that way for centuries.

"But some make a mark - on Qadira or in the Pathfinder Chronicles. Three centuries ago, the archdevil Moloch, preaching surrender to the desert heat, suddenly became the rage. Qadirans walked into the desert just to die, just as if the heat was their paradise. The most devout sought out the hidden Citadel of Flame, where a fearsome bull-headed idol of Moloch judged them and sent the worthy to Malebolge, the sixth layer of Hell. No surprise that Sarenrae’s priests launched a mighty crusade to demolish the citadel. After two weeks, a great sandstorm swallowed the expedition - and, it seemed, the citadel and its idol. Nothing more was heard from either.

"Until ten days ago, that is. Sandstorms regularly scour the Qadiran highlands, and this time they emptied an entire valley of dunes. Poking out of that valley, visible only to those soaring above - such as a flying Pathfinder wizard - was the lofty spire of a fortress: the Citadel of Flame, presumably.

"Hopefully we are the first to learn about its reappearance and we need to act fast. The Decemvirate doesn’t expect any trouble, so they’re sending you. But I do expect trouble - who knows what’s infesting that citadel? Get in there fast and find that idol - it could be the key to the entire cult. It’s likely statue-sized, maybe as big as me, and should have a bull’s head on it. And, for Gorum’s sake, be careful."

Hamshanks levels a warning glare at each of you, shaking his head in disappointment after examining the lot of you. "Any questions? You'll be on the next ship south, and you've got about an hour to gather your belongings and get on that ship!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the IN CHARACTER thread for the Newbie-Friendly Citadel of Flame game. Please subscribe to this thread; for future ease of locating it I also recommend using a quicklink.

This thread is specifically for IN CHARACTER actions and conversations. In this thread you should put in quotes and either bold or colorize what your PC is saying. You can describe the PC’s actions in regular color and non-bold text.

To perform rolls for the gam,e we will use the in-thread dice-roller. Please use this gray for out-of-character comments or mechanical discussion. For extended out-of-character discussion, please use the Out-of-Character/Character Generation thread.

As a reminder, I’d like to keep this moving with posts every day or two. If you will be unavailable for longer than that, just let me know and we’ll figure out what to do (most likely try to arrange things to have that time be a slow period anyway). Hopefully we’ll hit a rhythm once we get going!

Also, it is usually a good idea to thumb posts as you read them; that way we can each check to make sure everyone is keeping up, and I'll know when to make a new post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of background: remember you are in the Pathfinder Society, and Hamshanks is an officer in that organization. Their primary goal is to find treasure and ancient artifacts, and you'll be working on their behalf here. In-party fighting is strongly frowned upon, but friction and disagreements do happen. Just don't draw your blade!

Ask any questions of Hamshanks that you'd like, and let me know if you wish to purchase anything (also add it to the character geeklist). Then we'll allow you all to introduce yourselves on the journey, and then jump right into the Citadel!

Once everyone has responded to this post, I'll move on to the journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here and ready to go.

Testing the grey text. Is this the right color, or close enough? Do we buy any additional supplies now or later?

Edit:Ok, figuring this out, should be right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Let me hear you hissssssss...."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ready to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerubbaal wrote:
Here and ready to go.

Testing the grey text. Is this the right color, or close enough? Do we buy any additional supplies now or later?

Edit:Ok, figuring this out, should be right now.

I'm not picky about the exact gray you use (I just use [ color=gray] [ /color ] without the spaces)!

Yes, feel free to purchase equipment/ask the Venture-Captain any questions now - we don't need to wait for everyone for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Great, just what I was in the mood for, trekking through the desert with this lot. Best I go get ready then"

After bundling up my personal belongings that I'll need for the trip, I make a stop by the general merchant for the society.

"Merchant, I'm in a bit of a rush, but I'm looking to purchase a few things before my upcoming departure. Can you show me your wares and prices?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Deems
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Testing the grey color font

This is not working out for me. Any help? I am choosing what appears to be a grey color palette from the small window, but it isn't appearing that way. It is showing {color=#CCCCFF] [/color]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Captain Hamshanks, do you have any clue what kind of... problems you might expect from the Citadel. I will confess, I know practically nothing about the cultists who worshiped there, other than they supposedly consorted with demons. I think you owe us some help."

"Quartermaster, do you carry exotics around here? If so, I was hoping to get my hands on a siangham, and of course, I'll like a length of rope. Hemp would be fine, only a fool of an adventurer would head into the wilderness without a decent rope."

Also, am I naked at this point? I mean, a monk garb isn't in my inventory anywhere, so do I need to buy it or is it just assumed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CpaGuy wrote:

Testing the grey color font

This is not working out for me. Any help? I am choosing what appears to be a grey color palette from the small window, but it isn't appearing that way. It is showing {color=#CCCCFF] [/color]
Just use the formatting vestige is using, [ color=gray] [ /color ], and take out the spaces in the brackets. Or just Click "quote" under any post w/ the grey in it and it will show you the format in the quote. Don't use the color palette window, it's easier just to put the code in yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dixon
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yagnar looks at the bustle around him, then down at his prepared pack. He gives a nod to Hamshanks to show his understanding, and figuring it's always better to be safe than sorry, heads to the general merchant a few steps behind Arcanis. "Watcha got?" he grunts.

Is using third-person okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerubbaal wrote:
"Captain Hamshanks, do you have any clue what kind of... problems you might expect from the Citadel. I will confess, I know practically nothing about the cultists who worshiped there, other than they supposedly consorted with demons. I think you owe us some help."

"Owe you!" Hamshanks roars. "By the grace of Gorum, some fool saw fit to let you into this Society, I've no idea why. I don't owe you anything, boy - you owe this Society your future and your past!

The half-orc's face softens slightly as he continues. "But do not think I take this quest lightly, and I wish you the best. I wish that flying wizard had seen fit to swing by the structure and take a peek, so that we know what we were getting into. Alas, I know nothing more than...well, expect some good desert heat!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You make your way to the Society's quartermaster and find his shelves well-stocked indeed - nearly any mundane item you can think of is available, as well as weapons of all shapes and styles. He even has some potions and scrolls for purchase.

You can purchase any item on this page - it's a long one, non-weapon equipment is pretty far down, but it's all available for purchase. You can also purchase scrolls of any 1st level spell for 25 gp and potions of a 1st level spell (I particularly recommend cure light wounds) for 50 gp. If you want something you don't see, just give a shout and I'll figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedmon reconsiders the purchase of the siangham, it's really no better than a quarterstaff in the end, but still purchases a hemp rope. After thinking a bit he decides some healing wouldn't be a bad plan, so he also grabs a potion of cure light wounds, hands the quartermaster 51 gp, and sets off for the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dixon
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yagnar looks dubiously at Caedmon's new rope and wonders if it would hold his weight. He looks at the chain behind the counter, but an equal length would be far out of his price range and a hassle even for him to carry around. Turning his attention to more useful items, he looks longingly at some of the weapons for sale. It would be nice to trade in his trusty double axe for something a little shinier. He didn't know if he could part with his own weapon though. The two of them had been together for many years now and been through a lot of hard times. A man had once told Yagnar that great warriors always gave names to their weapons. Yagnar had thought for days about a good name for his axe, even considered giving it his mother's name, but decided she would not like an instrument of destruction bearing her name. In the end, he had decided to just call it Axe. Yagnar was not a very heroic sounding name, he wouldn't want to be shown up by his axe when they sang songs about him someday. He could imagine children begging their fathers, "Tell us the one about Yggdrasum the axe and the lumbering half-orc that carried it!" No, Axe would be a perfectly suitable name.

In the end, Yagnar is just too low on gold to afford much of anything useful. He pushes his almost-empty pouch back into his pocket and grumbles to the merchant, "Never mind." He turns and heads to the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'll take 2 sheets of paper(4 sp each), and an inkpen, ink vial, and a scroll case(9 gp, 1 sp). Here's your coin, it's my last. I'm sure I'll be back with a small fortune before long though".

Now I'm completely broke.

Arcanis heads to the ship to get a secluded room, and is ready to depart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not liking the mockery that Hamshanks delivered, Daveak decides to fight back a little: "Hey Hamshanks, do you want some sort of souvenir? Maybe a cultist head or a horn from the statue will do?"

The experienced halfling than heads to the general store and decides to invest in some form of moisture. "Hey merchant, how's it going? Got anything that will repel the desert heat?" and just as he finished the question he notices a fine wine bottle. "Nevermind, I think I will take that." *big grin*. Than Daveak hands over 10 newly acquired GP while cursing the Rogue Guild's petty allowance. Not much left in his pocket, so he decides it's time to get going for the ship. He does not want to be late again. He opens the bottle, takes a sip to ensure the quality is right, than starts going for the ship with a new energy in his steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imba19 wrote:
Not liking the mockery that Hamshanks delivered, Daveak decides to fight back a little: "Hey Hamshanks, do you want some sort of souvenir? Maybe a cultist head or a horn from the statue will do?"

Hamshanks only smirks at you. "Bring the idol, little halfling, and don't bother with any detours to your shoddy little guild. Yes, we know about that. Don't forget who holds the true power in this grand city."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Deems
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dwarf sidles into the shop and drops a list onto the counter. The shopkeeper scurries about with the list in hand and gathers each item listed. The shopkeeper piles the purchases on the counter:

Bullseye Lantern
Shovel
Two sets of Caltrops
Block & Tackle
Steel Mirror
Flask of oil
Dwarven Waraxe
Dwarven Urgosh

The shopkeeper quickly totals the purchases and announces the total as 111 gold pieces and 1 silver piece. The dwarf tosses a bag on the counter and begins to gather his purchases. The shopkeeper tells him to wait just a minute so that he can count the coins in the bag. Without so much as a word spoken to the shopkeeper Harur simply examines the edge on the waraxe, stares at the shopkeeper, then quickly turns and leaves the shop with his purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sorry I'm late friends" Tayber's deep voice rumbles out across the Lodge, "But it simply could not be avoided. What did I miss?"

Tayber listens patiently as Hamshanks irritably recaps the situation and berates Tayber for his tardiness.

"Aye, as I said my delay was unavoidable, though I admit the fault is my own. The uncovering of this ruin is surely no accident, and it's investigation should prove enlightening. Qaditha is a hotbed of religious idolism and cultism, and I'm sure we won't be the only ones interested in the return of the Citadel."

Tayber takes a glance at the merchant, does a quick mental inventory of his pack, and saunters off towards the ship, content that he has what he needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6/6 on the ship!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut through Indiana Jones-style travel montage...

Now, after a swift voyage to Sedeq and a tiring trek through the endless Qadiran dunes, the sun beats down on a maze of red slickstone, with delicate arches and towering columns called hoodoos dotting the landscape. Somewhere within this expanse lies the Citadel of Flame and within, the idol of Moloch.

I'll pause here for any introductions or banter you guys would like on the journey. Also, watch your Geekmail over the next day or so....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well everyone, in the interest of full disclosure I think it's important you all know that I received a letter just prior to our departure. Here it is"

Quote:
Good Sir,

I bid you welcome to our grand organization! I understand that you seek perfection, and you shall find it in my homeland, a teeming metropolis of ideas and pursuits. I was hoping that, while there, you could do me a small favor - in return, I shall arrange a meeting with one of my nation's most learned dervishes, who can teach you much.

This cult of Moloch is a sad chapter in the history of our glorious state, especially so because of its mysterious ending. Sarenrae’s crusade was just and apparently successful, but many of the Satrap’s servants vanished without a trace. If you discover any signs of these valiant souls, report them to me.

History also suggests that Moloch’s cultists had great power over sandstorms, and the recent storms in our beloved desert worry the Satrap. Learn what you can of their powers, and discover what arcane rituals can produce such might. Perhaps their knowledge can even be used for our benefit, sending sandstorms to disrupt our enemies' movements and trade.

Most graciously,
Pasha Muhlia al-Jakri

As I suspected, these sandstorms are likely only part of the inevitable ebb and flow of Moloch's power in the region. We will undoubtedly not be the first to visit the ruins.

Furthermore we should keep our eyes peeled for signs of Sarenrae's servants, and bring back what knowledge we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our loyalty lies with the Society first, and while I am not opposed to helping the satrap should it prove convenient, I have no desire to become a cog in their political machine. If the sandstorms which presently threaten them are tied to this cult of Moloch, apparently their crusaders were a greater disappointment than previously thought. A man may only serve one master well, and the Society certainly seems more worthy than this satrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dixon
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Convenient or not, a bit of extra coinage would be welcome if it could be had. With a face like this, gold is the only way to avoid a lonely bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] |