Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
371 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

The Caverns of Thracia» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Thracia 2012 - Chapter 1 - The Lost City of Thracia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You collect your wits and regain your bearings. Then you press on. As the sun is rising high overhead you come across a small stone foundation. A quick search reveals nothing of interest, but you are heartened that you must be on the right path. Soon afterwards you find occasional pieces of cut stone lying half buried on the jungle floor.

Then you come to a place where the trees ahead are thinner. You can see that the jungle itself parts to reveal a section of ancient cobble street running north and south and a stone wall, perhaps 10' tall, edging it for some distance on the far side. You are standing in a close group still in the concealment of the jungle, perhaps 120 yards from this bit of road you can see ahead.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Owl looks up and down the road, then studies the wall. " Tough choice. We would be foolish to use the road as we would be easy targets, but it would also get us to where we seek a lot quicker. Maybe travel behind the wall? Why is the wall so tall?"

Looking at its height Owl turns to Deree and says, "As the lightest of us all might I impose on you to aid me by going on my shoulders to see over the wall?. It appears to be just too big for any one of us to see over, and there has to be a reason for that."

Hands: shield and staff still
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The sight of the ancient road excites Arrowstopper, as he figures they're nearing their destination.

"Not long before we're rolling in gold now. Hey Lazlo?" He says giving the Elf a gentle nudge with his elbow.

Hands: Crossbow

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ye have the right of it. We'd do well to be cautious. Lemme see...". Durik squints at at the wall, muttering to himself, attempting to see how stable it may still be after so many centuries. He's also checking for any pits in the road, since it's mainly stone work, he's figuring he should have a chance to spot any anomalies.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toryn glances at the wall and then back at the road.

"I'm all for being inconspicuous but roads usually lead somewhere. I'd say let's not stray too far from it."

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are some distance away, so you can't see the road well enough to spot any defects. There is chest high grass -for a dwarf- growing up among the cobbles in places, which you know isn't good for durability.

The wall is composed of large square cut and closely fit pieces of sandstone. As you look more closely you can see that at one time it was sculpted with a slight relief to create a rhythm of large rectangles breaking up the length. You think that treatment more consistent with the base or foundation of a building and realize that the southern end of the wall you can see may actually be where it returns away from you to the west.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, says Owl, "I still say we should have a closer look, but just be very careful, and some of us keep watch while the others inspect thing.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Bah, I tink you're being too safe." Arrowstopper stated with a touch of incredulity in his voice. "I'd prefer to be inside whatever shelter we might find, 'dan spend anudder night out here with giant flying bugs about."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Deree says "I think I could walk on that road without being seen. The grass is tall enough"

He moves forward towards the road cautiously using whatever cover he can find. Once he believes he's out of the site of the others he moves at a normal pace - who would lay an ambush out here in the open when there were a million better places in the jungle?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deree moves away from the group and quickly slips from view. The party catches an occasional glimpse of him darting from brush to high grass and so forth until he finally is completely out of view.

Deree reaches the road without difficulty and finds that the tall grasses are a perfect height to give comfortable natural cover. Other than a background odor from the nearby swamps the day is pleasant and sunny out here in the grasses. You can see from here that the wall runs perhaps sixty feet long on the far side of the flagstone roadway, stopping at sharp corner returns. The road itself is lost under the accretion of the jungle just to the south of the end of the wall, but appears to continue northward another twenty or thirty yards.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazlo motions to the others. It looks safe enough. Let's catch up to Deree.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Durik nods in agreement and jogs off after the scout.

Hands: Hand axe and shield.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few minutes of calm and quiet you decide that must mean Deree is okay and you all move forward to the road. The remnants of the flagstone road is about eight paces wide and extends perhaps fifty yards in length. Standing in the open sun feels good after the oppression of the jungle. You notice that the trees are few here, one right by your position at the edge of the road and others on the far side of the road just off each end of the wall.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Let's scout around for the remains of a building or other sign of ancient civilization.

We should so totally split up. We can cover more ground with blood that way.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazlo examines the solitary tree near us. If nothing becomes of that, he joins in looking for signs of ruins.

Hands: Sword and shield
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an oak tree. Not as gnarled and twisted as most of those in the dense jungle, but otherwise unremarkable.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Owl stays in the cover afforded by the tree until he is sure there is no danger.

Are there birds and animal sounds in the forest? If there is:

Assuming no danger Owl moves with Lazlo to wherever he heads. He will constantly turn and turn about with shield up to watch for danger or sudden bird flight.

Hands:Shield and Warhammer
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toryn follows the rest of the group after the halfling.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazlo slowly walks along the wall looking for any openings that might allow entrance inside.

Hands: Sword and shield
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Lazlo slowly walks along the wall looking for any openings that might allow entrance inside.

Hands: Sword and shield

Lazlo and Owl follow the wall to its southern end. Here the jungle presses closer. You reach the end and find it is a corner. It returns back to the west, and it appears perhaps back south again perhaps twenty yards farther along. You are now in the shadow of a large sycamore growing just off the southern corner of the wall. As you look at the markings on the south facing side, it appears that at one time the bottom edge of the embossed panel pattern sloped upwards to the west, and the stone below it is stained dark as though soil once pressed against it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazlo examines the panel. Checking for secret doors.

1d6 = (6) = 6

Hands: Sword and shield
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 103443. bulldog93
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Mon Feb 6, 2012 5:14 am
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrowstopper follows the bulk of the group trying to remain alert for possible threats. When the group moves next to the corner formed by the wall, Arrowstopper will try to climb up for a better view. "I'm going to see if anyting might be on the other side of dis."

Anticipatory die roll. Climb Wall 1d100 = (85) = 85
Arrowstopper will pause before starting his climb long enough to allow the group to object should they feel its a bad idea.

Hands: Wall
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 103461. Astinex
  • 1d100 =
  • (85) =
  • 85
  • Climb Wall
  • Mon Feb 6, 2012 7:07 am
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Owl stands watch as Lazlo searches.

...and if Arrowstopper is with us (I'm unsure if he is).....
Owl nods and smiles to Arrowstopper to go ahead.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazlo peers closely at the corner panels, but sees no evidence of any sort of door or opening. Indeed they are a bit mossy from the overgrown jungle around.

Arrowstopper begins attempting to climb the sheer vertical stone, but cannot find good grip. Then he notices some vines making their way up the panels just about twenty feet farther west. These make for an easy way to climb up the wall five feet in order to see over.

Arrowstopper and thus far Arrowstopper alone see that the wall is indeed the support of some sort of plinth or platform, because at the top it stretches out to the north and west as you can see without climbing fully on top. Like the flagstone road below, it is in places broken up with tall grasses, and it appears that a handful of trees have taken root and are growing from this upper stone surface.

Arrowstopper, please give me a check against your Wisdom +2 to see what else you can spot from this perch. Others who haven't posted recently can add what their characters are doing in the meantime. Lazlo and Owl, please hold on.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, having failed to find anything unusual about the wall or the road, Durik is standing near the base of the wall and the vines that Arrowstopper climbed. He's scanning the surrounding jungle to make sure nothing approaches without the party being aware of it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |