The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Star Crossed
Thousand Year Old Vampire
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
D&D Essentials Kit
Autumn Slipstream
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
LOAD ""
Kids on Bikes
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Ironsworn
Rough Nights & Hard Days
Magical Kitties Save the Day
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Highfell
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Dinky Dungeons
Drowning and Falling
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
The North Sea Epilogues
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Beyond Bightwater
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
Ubersreik Adventures: The Mad Men of Gotheim
Tatters of the King
De Profundis
Wushu Open
Big Rubble
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
The Quiet Year
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Star Sector Atlas 04: The Galactic People's Republic
Tales from the Loop
English Eerie
Black Void
Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition Core Book
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Philohuman BBQ
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
Courts of Stone
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Modern AGE Companion
No Future
Recommend
20 
 Thumb up
 Hide
334 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

The One Ring» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: The Fellowship of Esgaroth - The Marsh Bell [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Out of Character thread and index
Characters

The land extending from the Misty Mountains as far as the Running River are known as Wilderland. There are many reasons for this name, perhaps most of all, the great forest of Mirkwood. The Wilderland has changed a lot in the last five years. The region is safer now, and the different cultures, in the past distrustful of each other, has started to cooperate more. Much of this is because of the death of the dragon Smaug five years ago, and the defeat of evil in the Battle of the Five Armies. It is a good time for adventure. And one of the starting places for such adventures is Esgaroth.

Esgaroth, or Lake Town as it is also called, lays to the east of Mirkwood, built upon the Long Lake. It is a gathering place for many kinds of people, especially since Smaug's death.



From beyond the Misty Montains comes the Hobbits. They live in the Shire, and the don't usually venture this far east. Peregrin "Grin" Gamgee is one of the few since Bilbo went here, travelling through Mirkwood with Grimbold sharing honey cakes and delicatessens from the Shire along the way. Grimbold has followed Beorn since he first welcomed followers, and travelled east to bring important news to people of Dale

Caane is a Woodman from south of the Old Ford on the west side of Mirkwood, he to has travelled through Mirkwood with companions, but is now left to himself. They all came to Esgaroth in the late autumn, travelling through Mirkwood, and staying through the winter. They all plan to return west during the spring, but their wishes aren't simply for travel. All three have a different calling, but they all wish to explore Mirkwood, perhaps also make it safer for everyone. There is still much to be reclaimed. The land is safer than ever before, but if that is to remain, vigilance is needed.

As spring nears, one more figure comes out off Mirkwood, but he hasn't passed through it, he has lived in it. And while elves rarely mingle with men, Arongwai is an exception. Embittered by lose he wishes that Mirkwood, his home, was completely cleansed of the Shadow that haunts it. And while an elf might no stay with humans, Arongwai enjoys the company, and has decided to stay with the fellowship

Finally, there is one that has never seen the inside of Mirkwood. The Lonely Mountain is close to Esgaroth, and can easily be seen in the distance. There are also plenty of dwarves that live, and visit, Esgaroth. As spring begins, Bofia comes. A wise dwarf, with a thirst for adventure. While in Esgaroth, Bofia has looked for people to travel with. She becomes friendly, over a cup of ale, with Peregrin.

Bofia wish to travel to the Misty Mountains, but to do that she needs to go through Mirkwood. All the members of the fellowship need to take this journey to travel home. One long evening, the five adventurers are discussing the perils of Mirkwood, and how, perhaps, that might be helped. In the discussion, Bofia can reiterate a rumour to the others. Some are saying that a couple of Dwarves has gone missing. This is what Bofia has heared:
Hraf, son of Habrin, a Raven of the Mountain, has brought to Erebor some sinister tidings: two Dwarven messengers who left the Lonely Mountain on an errand are nowhere to be found. The Kingdom under the Mountain is astir , and Glóin the Dwarf himself, and envoy in Esgaroth to the Dwarf King, has spread word that whoever provides news to him of the missing Dwarves to him, wil be richly rewarded.

The discussion quickly turns to the new subject. How can they, the fellowship of Esgaroth, help the situation.


12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Putting down the Ale, Bofia looks into the faces of the fellowship.
"This rumour may be a golden opportunity for us. So I suggest we try and find them.
There is a rich reward for an easy task and besides that, it is our duty to help. What say you?"

7 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Grimbold shakes his head..."Dwarves, always meddling in affairs of others."

He glances at Bofia. "Too concerned with Treasure they are. It's their greed that woke the Dragon, and if it wasn't for the men of Dale and that quick thinking Hobbit," at this he winks at Peregrin, "the whole North of Middle Earth would be in Ruins right now."

Grimly he remarks, "Treasure? I have no need of treasure. My treasure is a moon filled night along the Anduin. And it's precisely there that I hope to return. Why should WE help the Dwarves of Erebor?"

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
"The fools promising a reward." Caane says as he takes another sip from his pint of ale. "The forest will be swarming with those without the experience or skill to survive long against the evils that are lurking in those woods of late."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Raises the tankard to Grimbold as winks at him, takes a gulp and slams the mug on the table: "I'd go for it!", then looking at the astonished companions, adds: "Fools or no fools, those dwarves might still be alive and astray somewhere. Besides, I do think dwarves are cool, at least those of the wandering company I met on my way here seemed so."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Grimbol considered the Hobbit's comments. They'd already been through much on their journey through Mirkwood together. He couldn't just let the little guy go unprotected.

"These Dwarves don't know what evil is lurking out there in the shadows of the eaves of Mirkwood. More than likely, they just got what they deserved for messing with things they don't know about. But if Grin's in on this, I'll join the company as well. But the Dwarves can keep their stinkin' treasure."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Arongwai calmly looks around the table at the newly formed fellowship. He thinks to himself, "What an interesting group we have assembled here. A dwarf, a Beorning, a woodman, and a hobbit. We shall have to work together if we are to survive..."

After a long draw from his Elvish made pipe, Arongwai says, "It seems that Fate has brought us together. I came from the Halls and service of King Tharanduil to avenge my family, to help clear Mirkwood and make it, once again, a fair and beautiful place to wander. Those in need should find a helpful hand from our Fellowship, as I would not want anyone to suffer a loss of a loved-one. I say we help find these Dwarves and clear the long Shadows from Mirkwood."

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
"Besides, if we ever come outta there alive, I might see the great Gloin himself! Wowsy!"

So where particularly do we go?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Grimbeorn looked sidelong at his new Dwarven companion.

"Why don't we ask the Dwarf," he replied.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Bofia looks gruffly around and states: "Well I don't know where they went, do I? If I did, I had rescued them already!
No, all I heard was a rumour. If we need information on where to go, we will have to ask around.
It's my first visit to Esgaroth as you know.. so I do not know where to start.
"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Datura wrote:
Bofia looks gruffly around and states: "Well I don't know where they went, do I? If I did, I had rescued them already!
No, all I heard was a rumour. If we need information on where to go, we will have to ask around.
It's my first visit to Esgaroth as you know.. so I do not know where to start.
"


Grimbold shakes his head. "I meant YOU, the DWARF, ya' son of a warg. Maybe you would know something being as they're your kinsmen. Well, perhaps there's someone in this tavern or in town that might help."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
Finishing his pint of ale Caane gets up from the table. "I'll ask the barkeep if he has heard anymore about these dwarves. Besides I could use another pint."

"Barkeep. Another pint please." Caane says as he approaches the bar. "These dwarves that have gone missing, have you heard anything about them that hasn't already been passed around in rumor?"

D12 1d12 = (2) = 2
1st D6 1d6 = (2) = 2
2nd D6 1d6 = (6) = 6
3rd D6 1d6 = (6) = 6
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 102295. edjrjr
  • 1d12 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • D12
  • Thu Feb 2, 2012 12:17 pm
  • [+]
  • 102296. edjrjr
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • 1st D6
  • Thu Feb 2, 2012 12:17 pm
  • [+]
  • 102297. edjrjr
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • 2nd D6
  • Thu Feb 2, 2012 12:17 pm
  • [+]
  • 102298. edjrjr
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • 3rd D6
  • Thu Feb 2, 2012 12:18 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
OOC: What skill would that be?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
OOC I don't know. You had said if there is something we do that we think may require a roll just roll. If one is not needed disregard. I am new to role playing SOS really am not sure what I am doing, but I am having fun doing it so bear with me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
While Caane is talking with the barkeeper, Peregrin views his two companions already having grudges at each other. "Now, Grimbold, Bofia, just don't fight then and there! I'll buy you another pint if you can bear each other for at least an hour "

Courtesy roll:
1d12 = (11) = 11
#1 1d6 = (6) = 6
#2 1d6 = (6) = 6
#3 1d6 = (1) = 1

"Grimbold, by the way, what's that you have against dwarves? I hear even Beorn was okay with them, or so Master Bilbo wrote in his tale".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 102307. nadgamgee
  • 1d12 =
  • (11) =
  • 11
  • Thu Feb 2, 2012 1:03 pm
  • [+]
  • 102308. nadgamgee
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • #1
  • Thu Feb 2, 2012 1:03 pm
  • [+]
  • 102309. nadgamgee
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • #2
  • Thu Feb 2, 2012 1:04 pm
  • [+]
  • 102310. nadgamgee
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • #3
  • Thu Feb 2, 2012 1:04 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
OOC: That's fine Ed The rest of what you did was perfect. Skill rolls have to be tied to a skill. So, when you want to try something, pick a skill, then roll.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
The barkeep hands Caane a pint, "Ah yes, I have heard talk about them missing dwarves. Who knows what trouble they have gotten themselves into. I guess you've heard that Glóin has offered a reward. Earlier today two bardings was over at Glóin's mansion to talk to him about it, and they came back mighty perturbed. I guess Glóin didn't think they were good enough for his little quest. He is beting rather tight lipped about the details."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
OOC ok I see what you mean. Looking at my character sheet it appears I would not be the one the fellowship would want asking around for information. I will get better at this as it progresses. I am a pretty quick learner.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
OOC: Lucky for you, the barkeep gave up his information willingly. This time...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
nadgamgee wrote:
While Caane is talking with the barkeeper, Peregrin views his two companions already having grudges at each other. "Now, Grimbold, Bofia, just don't fight then and there! I'll buy you another pint if you can bear each other for at least an hour "

Courtesy roll:
nadgamgee previously rolled 1d12 = (11) = 11
nadgamgee previously rolled 1d6 = (6) = 6 (#1)
nadgamgee previously rolled 1d6 = (6) = 6 (#2)
nadgamgee previously rolled 1d6 = (1) = 1 (#3)

"Grimbold, by the way, what's that you have against dwarves? I hear even Beorn was okay with them, or so Master Bilbo wrote in his tale".


Grimbold stared down at his small companion, "You could also say those dwarves stirred up a lot of trouble in the Mts. with the native goblins...who had to deal with THAT mess? We had to hunt down those rogue goblins for a couple of years thanks to those 13 dwarves."

"Besides, the way Beorn recounts the meeting, he was tricked by Gandalf into hosting that many dwarves. At least they returned his ponies."

"I don't trust dwarves as far as I could throw them." With this, Grimbold gave Bofia a stern glare.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
OOC: Hey, that was a good courtesy roll! Now, guys, remember the pint!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
nadgamgee wrote:
OOC: Hey, that was a good courtesy roll! Now, guys, remember the pint!


OOC: Actually, 14 is the standard difficulty. 6+6+1 is 13, so that's a failure. A roll of 11 on the feat dice is an eye of Sauron. So the failure is infact extra bad...devil
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
karlkrlarsson wrote:
nadgamgee wrote:
OOC: Hey, that was a good courtesy roll! Now, guys, remember the pint!


OOC: Actually, 14 is the standard difficulty. 6+6+1 is 13, so that's a failure. A roll of 11 on the feat dice is an eye of Sauron. So the failure is infact extra bad...devil


OOC: Oops, sorry, so I even get beaten by them for the failed roll, eh?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
nadgamgee wrote:
karlkrlarsson wrote:
nadgamgee wrote:
OOC: Hey, that was a good courtesy roll! Now, guys, remember the pint!


OOC: Actually, 14 is the standard difficulty. 6+6+1 is 13, so that's a failure. A roll of 11 on the feat dice is an eye of Sauron. So the failure is infact extra bad...devil


OOC: Oops, sorry, so I even get beaten by them for the failed roll, eh?



OOC: It's just a bit of flavour and roleplaying. I doubt any heads will roll over it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Marsh Bell [IC] - Table 2
"Well once Grimbold is done with insulting the Dwarfes, we might want to head over to Gloins Mansion. The courtesy rewarded you there will hopefully change your opinion to the better! "

Turning to Peregrin, I whisper "Thanks for defusing the situation, I wouldn't have liked it if I had to use my axe to convince him that Dwarfs are decent people, if you know what I mean!"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.