Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
255 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

The Window (2nd edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: The Window - Call of Cthulhu - PbF IC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boston, 1920.

Martin McKinney was someone you knew in passing. Not a friend by all means, but still, he was a rather affable guy and people generally liked him. He was always ready to help a friend, and so, when he called upon you to join him at his office 'to help him solve a problem' you decided it was worthwhile paying him a visit. At the agreed date you all went to his office and found yourselves sitting in his cramped office.

He thanked all of you for coming, and, in typical fashion, went straight to business. He had a problem. And an unusual one. In one of the properties he let, members of the family living there suddenly where committed to Roxbury Sanitarium, ending a series of mishaps that felled upon them since moving into the property.

As he explained, the property had an '...odd reputation.' Neighbours talked to him about it being an haunted house. He laughed at the suggestion, bought for a bargain, and quickly let it to the Macario family. As disgrace fell upon them, neighbours talked more and more. He was worried that the property was not impossible to sell or let, if the reputation it now had was not squashed. 'Or the issue solved' he said with a shudder. He asks you all to help him in this. he is happy in paying any legitimate expenses you incur, and would be eternally grateful for your help. He then puts the house keys in desk and asks if you have any questions, and if you would be so kind as to help a friend in need.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarvis shifts uncomfortably in his chair and looks at his watch.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I march forward, confident smile belayed only by a brief flash of terror in my eyes.

"'Course we'll help you old chap. Nothing to it. Anything in that house, we'll find it and gut it. I'm sure these other gents will be glad to help as well. I'm sure it'll be fun!"

I slap Jarvis on the back, "Buck Up", and grab the keys off the desk. You chaps need anything before we head over there? I'll send my valet to pick us up a few days worth of food, some rifles, pistols, rope, hunting knives and candles.

I'm sure we'll be old friends in no time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarvis thinks to himself: Goodness. Did he have to slap me so hard?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never actually been a part of any investigation of the occult, but what good's a decade of research if I can't put it to use? I've got to appear confident.

I stand up, tripping over my shoes. I'm in, Martin. I turn to everyone else and talk loudly. My name's Avery, and I'm a world traveler. I've read a lot about haunted houses, and it can get really creepy, really fast. You've gotta prepare yourself mentally for this stuff, you know? You guys all seem like a decent enough lot, but are you sure you've all got what it takes?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Not so fast, sons - says Padre Virgilio with a benevolent smile on his ruddy face and a calm and paternal voice with a strong Italian accent - I am more than ready to help and I am as sure as you a good friendship will come out of all this, but shouldn’t we first look more carefully into the matter before rushing into it blindly? And, even admitting that this house is really "haunted" by evil spirits, I really don’t see how guns and knives could be of any help at all."

Padre Virgilio, sitting straight in his chair, both hands clutched around the pommel of his walking cane, now turns to the host: "Mr McKinney, first of all I would like to thank you for the confidence you are putting on us to solve this delicate problem and I would like to assure that I will do my best to be of help. As a priest and as your friend is my duty to provide my advice when requested but, before, I would like to have a clearer picture of the situation. May I ask what mishaps exactly fell on the Macario family? And, more importantly, has the police been informed?"

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I would like to try and see if by any means Mr. McKinney is lying to us, Padre Virgilio is a bit afraid that this could be some sort of insurance fraud and that we could be used as pawns in a larger scheme.
I think I should roll my A good judge of character (D10).
Here it is: 1d10 = (7) = 7
I put this into spoiler cause I thought the other players should not see it, correct me if I’m wrong.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 100625. rastacanaja
  • 1d10 =
  • (7) =
  • 7
  • Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:33 am
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarvis puts his hands on each side of the chair. He begins to hoist himself up, slowly. But then Father Virgilio starts speaking. Jarvis quickly settles back down into the chair.

I'll wait my turn, then.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler text to Padre Virgilio:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
*failed roll*

Virgilio cannot determine the truthfulness of Martin's words, but there is no hint of nervousness or other indications of foul play in him.

OOC - You're quite right about spoilers!


Martin shuffles in the chair, visibly not at ease to delve into the Macario's predicaments. He finally puffs some air and tells you how the family's father had an accident in the house and was committed, shortly after moving. The family soldiered and struggled on, until the mother was committed last week. This presented the end of their fortunes.

Martin knows no further details of the accident or details of the circunstances, but he does know that the family had two young boys, now being cared by relatives in Baltimore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I see - mumbles Padre Virgilio - then even yourself dear Mr. McKinney are not that well informed about what actually happened in the house. I would be most interested in having the possibility to meet with these two unfortunate souls. Do you think it feasible to visit them at Roxbury Sanitarium? I would like to listen to their account of the facts as well as the opinion of the doctors. I am quite sure we could gain much more insight into the situation this way than by rushing into an empty house.- Padre Virgilio smiles and turns his head around addressing all the people in the small room - Do you agree gentlemen?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin looks pensive for a second. 'I don't see why not, as far as I know they can be visited... if you'll be able to gather something from them, that's a different story...'
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the only one who hasn't spoken, Jarvis stands up. "I will do this for you Martin. What you say is awful and I would like to help this family."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
'I can only thank you my friends.'
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC - Should we split up? Two go to the asylum and maybe two go to the house? Or go talk to the neighbors?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC: To split is ok for me, in that case I`ll go to the sanitarium. I just want to collect as much info as possible before actually entering the house. Talking with the neighbours sounds like a good idea too. To me we can either play this information gathering thing post by post or have the master give us a summary of the info we have collected to save some time. Up to you guys and the master, both are ok for me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC - It's also good with me if we split up. One group to the sanitarium and one group to the neighbors. But I do think we should all enter the house together.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC - So, who goes to the Sanitarium (besides Virgilio)?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarvis looks to Father Virgilio, "Padre, I think your idea is right. I can accompany you to the sanitarium. That is not a place that haunts me."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Avery, let's let those boys head on to the nut-house. Not our kind of place. We can survey the area around Martin's house. One thing I learned in hunting- always know your terrain before stalking your prey. We can ask the neighbors about our quarry.

In the meantime- Padre when we get to the house, you can use your words all you want, but I'll keep my Smith and Wesson handy, thank you very much.

Any other questions boys before we head out?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Padre Virgilio bursts into a hearty laugh: "I guess you`re right son! It is always better to have one of those things at hand than not! Melius abundare quam deficere as the Latins said... do not underestimate the power of words anyway, they can often accomplish greater deeds than guns and knives!"
Padre Virgilio raises from his chair: "Shall we go then?".

OOC: What time of the day is it right now?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC - Forgot that bit, but it's morning, plenty of time to go and visit the Sanitarium or ask questions to the neighbours.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: The Window - Call of Cthulhu - PbF IC Thread
Yes, let's.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC - Moving on then. I will need to know how each of the groups are going to do their research? How will the sanitarium approach the staff to see the Macarios? Are they wanting to see first the wife or the husband?

Same for the group going to the neighbours, what questions will you ask?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC - I would like to speak with the doctors first. I don’t want to tell them the truth about Martin sending us, cause they may forbid us to visit the Macarios. I want to tell them that one of their relative, and old very catholic aunt, who is my parishioner, asked Padre Virgilio to please visit them to bring some relief to their souls. I would like to ask the doctors about the circumstances of their commitment to the sanitarium and about their present condition. In special way I would like to know what similarities there are between the husband and the wife, for example they say the same delirious things about seeing a ghost, etc. Then if possible I would like to visit both the Macarios in any order. Padre Virgilio is sincerely concerned about these poor souls so he will ask them earnestly how they feel, if they need anything or if they have anything they want to say to their children. He will then ask them about what happened in the house and try to understand what made them lose their mind. Padre Virgilio will say some prayers for them and, if they ask for something reasonable, he will try his best to help them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC - I think that is a great idea. I would like to have Jarvis search their rooms while Padre Virgilio is speaking with them. I wonder if they have made any notes or have his away some things from the past that may shed some light on things.

Another note: Should we be having this discussion in the OOC thread?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Folks, we're going to head out to the house and scout the neighborhood. I think we'll tell the neighbors that we are thinking about buying the old house and ask them about it. Fish around a bit and see what they have to say. We'll just canvas up and down the block, and then wait for you guys to show up before heading inside. We'll pick up supplies on our way to the house though.

Any questions you want us to ask or any other supplies other than what I listed earlier?

Avery- you with me?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |