Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted this, Geeklist Request - Trail of Cthulhu System, over in the Trail of Cthulhu forums, but after doing so, I thought I'd post a general request here for all RPG's.

As a newer RPG player, I'm currently doing a lot of research into what game systems might interest me, and in doing so, I've been having trouble finding good lists of all books within that system to have a good idea of what books are worth your time beyond the core books.

In contrast, when I was looking into purchasing Memoir '44, I almost immediately found this Geeklist on BGG, MEMOIR'44 SYSTEM . A good list, in chronological order of publication date, with a few quick bullet points about what a casual fan would think, a hardcore fan would think, and how that expansion adds to the game as a whole.

Interestingly enough, that Geeklist led me to this one, The Completist's Guide to Memoir '44: Scenarios, Expansions and Everything Else You Need, this one, The Essential Memoir '44 ? , and this one, What Order to Buy Memoir '44.

Granted, Boardgame expansions are different than RPG senario books, campaign guides, and adventures, but the basic premise for giving an overall rundown of the system is similar. People new to a game want to know what are the book's positives, what are the negatives, what do they add to the game, is this for GM's only, is this written worse than every other book in the system, etc.

That being said, I know that RPG Item pages have reviews which people can read and help them decide what's best for them, as I have used these to help me choose which books to pick up or not pick up already. But having a quick Geeklist that can help you narrow down your choices would be great.

The option I've used currently to find books is to go to the RPG page and try to sort the RPG Items by Rank (somewhat skewed right now) or publication date (not a good option since multiple items come out in a year) or some other way. Plus, those little buttons to go between pages of RPG Items within the RPG page leaves much to be desired.

Basically what I'm suggesting is that experienced players of various RPG's post a good summary Geeklist for particular systems to better assist us inexperienced players looking to get into the game. You don't necessarily need to post ratings for games, as that could turn in to a flurry of dissenting comments for each Geeklist items, but rather a small synopsis as suggested above with what the book is, what it adds, what it lacks, where it fits in, how it's used, or some other criterium.

EDIT: Some of our RPGG community leaders have done a great job taking this idea and running with it. For people looking for what systems have had this type of Geeklist created, RPGG user dysjunct has created this Geeklist, RPG System Metageeklist. Feel free to create additions or make suggestions to help create better resources and references for all these RPG's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. I will start work on a few of these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
Great idea. I will start work on a few of these!

I could do some, too! In fact, anyone who's interested in building such a list might want to coordinate with the others in order to avoid duplication. It could be something as simple as posting "I'll do Game X!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
Dibs on Pendragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dibs on Savage Worlds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
Dibs on Castle Falkenstein and Changeling the Lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great everyone! I'm glad that you guys are running with the idea.

Just an update on what happened with my original Trail of Cthulhu Geeklist request.

User edige23 set up a solid system overview Geeklist here, Trail of Cthulhu: System Guide for New Gamers.

Feel free to look this over, use it as a guide, or suggest ways to make it better. Lowell did a great job indicating what the items are, who could use them, etc...but he also linked each item to RPGG reviews as well as linked related games where applicable.

I really think these will be great resources for new players like myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I can do Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition) and OpenQuest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I just recalled and added to the ToC list- if one exists, be sure to reference any existing "Share a Game" thread. I put a link to that in the header. You can find a list of those games here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edige23 wrote:
Something I just recalled and added to the ToC list- if one exists, be sure to reference any existing "Share a Game" thread. I put a link to that in the header. You can find a list of those games here.

Great idea. The Share a Game is a great resource to go to in the process of researching a game. I like the idea that the Geeklist gives a summary, but also provides links to deeper reviews related games and "Share a Game" for one to dive into and learn more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I could add the Exalted line to my list of things to do in the new year. It's going to be an awfully long list though ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Savage Worlds list is started...Savage Worlds: System Guide for New Gamers

I've got a lot to go, but, it's a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's a question on format.

Take Savage Worlds for example. There's publishers who have multiple settings with multiple products.

Would people prefer a structure of:

Entry for each product (and list organized in Publisher, Setting groups): see the 'Deadlands' setting in my geeklist.

or:

Entry for each setting, with product details in the setting entry? See 50 Fathoms in my geeklist.

What do people think would be more useful?

Please note that my items are a little rough, mostly just for illustration to sort out format.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, an entry for each product is good because then people can comment on each product and have a conversation about it without having to parse through the conversations that may crop up about other products in the same item entry.

Did that make sense - I feel it is a bit unclear - bottom line = one item in the list per product item. i.e. like you did the deadlands items - I can now comment on coffin rock without having to ignore, interrupt, or wade through a conversation about deadlands as a whole to discuss just the coffin rock scenario.

The disadvantage is that you have a longer list with more items - perhaps you can, in the game entry, say "This includes items 2 through 7 on this geeklist. For information about other settings, skip to item 8 on this list." or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:

The disadvantage is that you have a longer list with more items - perhaps you can, in the game entry, say "This includes items 2 through 7 on this geeklist. For information about other settings, skip to item 8 on this list." or something similar.

Great idea! I agree that the 'setting entry' does potentially ruin discussion opportunities about individual products. The vast number of products in different games made a daunting list.

Now, here's one further wrinkle...

Products like the Deadlands Player's Guide and Marshal's Handbook are just the Deadlands: Reloaded book split in half. Do these items deserve their own entry, or just a summary in the "main" entry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:

This seems like a good candidate for inclusion in the header. The header can serve as a mini-TOC for the entire geeklist. I imagine I will have to do something similar for Call of Cthulhu. Or multiple geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
lorddillon wrote:

This seems like a good candidate for inclusion in the header. The header can serve as a mini-TOC for the entire geeklist. I imagine I will have to do something similar for Call of Cthulhu. Or multiple geeklists.

I was thinking that it could be a good addition in the initial item AND for the header.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Bazin wrote:

Products like the Deadlands Player's Guide and Marshal's Handbook are just the Deadlands: Reloaded book split in half. Do these items deserve their own entry, or just a summary in the "main" entry?

In this case, I don't think they should be listed individually. Since there's a currently in print product that contains the material, that should be the item. Reference should be made that this book is a rehash of what came before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the size and breadth of Savage Worlds, I think on the big list those items ought to be condensed. I like the format you have there- a statement of description and premise for the setting, which is a placeholder I'm assuming right now, and then a list of the core or key books with links.

Now, a deeper approach, more time-consuming but I think perhaps more useful would be a slight modification of the approach you have there. Present the key or core rule books and the various setting lines as you have. Then those entries should have a link to another Geeklist- essentially a "Sundered Skies: System Guide for New Players" or "50 Fathoms: System Guide for New Players". I'd think that would be useful for the settings, series and lines which have a ton of support or material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edige23 wrote:
Given the size and breadth of Savage Worlds, I think on the big list those items ought to be condensed. I like the format you have there- a statement of description and premise for the setting, which is a placeholder I'm assuming right now, and then a list of the core or key books with links.

Now, a deeper approach, more time-consuming but I think perhaps more useful would be a slight modification of the approach you have there. Present the key or core rule books and the various setting lines as you have. Then those entries should have a link to another Geeklist- essentially a "Sundered Skies: System Guide for New Players" or "50 Fathoms: System Guide for New Players". I'd think that would be useful for the settings, series and lines which have a ton of support or material.

Yea, I was thinking that this might just turn into Inception:The Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Bazin wrote:

In this case, I don't think they should be listed individually. Since there's a currently in print product that contains the material, that should be the item. Reference should be made that this book is a rehash of what came before.

I agree - you can simply include a note that says:

If you are only going to be a player and never GM this game, buying the player's guide only is a valid option for you if you can't find the core book with both Player and GM sections.

This is akin to a recommendation and is totally appropriate in my mind, since the material is no different, just split. If there was inclusion of all new material (which in this case there isn't) then it may warrant its own item listing, but that can be up to the discretion of the list maker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting plan and idea. I may have to jump on board with it, can do one for Dragon Age and Warhammer, granted I'd be a bit on the slow side.

ooo...Could make it an RPG Hero Quest!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
So, here's a question on format.

Take Savage Worlds for example. There's publishers who have multiple settings with multiple products.

Would people prefer a structure of:

Entry for each product (and list organized in Publisher, Setting groups): see the 'Deadlands' setting in my geeklist.

or:

Entry for each setting, with product details in the setting entry? See 50 Fathoms in my geeklist.

What do people think would be more useful?

Please note that my items are a little rough, mostly just for illustration to sort out format.

Thanks.

My suggestion would be to do your best to look at the list from the perspective of someone who has not played the game, but is interested in learning more. Do they need all that info? Do they need it organized in a particular way? Personally, without knowing anything about Savage Worlds, I'm not sure how to tell you to organize it.

However, this could be a good system to think about making two separate Geeklists. One being "The Completists Oveview of Savage Worlds" and the other being "Savage Worlds - Where To Start." (Tentative titles)

If you look at my original post and click on those Memoir '44 Geeklists, they all give you a good overall synopsis of the game and its expansions, but they serve different purposes in how you would make a decision on what expansions are right for you.

Maybe Savage Worlds is a little too big for a single Geeklist synopsis and might require a couple Geeklists that have different qualities and goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
Interesting plan and idea. I may have to jump on board with it, can do one for Dragon Age and Warhammer, granted I'd be a bit on the slow side.

If you're going to do Warhammer, take note of these great lists:

A complete list of official WFRP1 adventures
A complete list of official WFRP2 adventures
A complete list of official WFRP3 adventures

A link to them would be nice.

Thinking of creating a list myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:

Maybe Savage Worlds is a little too big for a single Geeklist synopsis and might require a couple Geeklists that have different qualities and goals.

Yea. I'm thinking this is the case. A bunch of the settings are almost their own games on themselves, in terms of number of additional materials.

I think what I'm going to do is go to setting geeklists, as suggested. It will keep the introductory list cleaner and easier to navigate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.