Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dinky Dungeons
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Rough Nights & Hard Days
Courts of Stone
LOAD ""
OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game
Grimtina's Guard
Kids on Bikes
Ironsworn
Black Void
D&D Essentials Kit
Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
Trail of Cthulhu
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pacific Rim Sourcebook
Melee
Powers & Perils (Basic Set)
Catapult Run
Big Rubble
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Second Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Starter Set (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Amazing Tales
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Forbidden Lands Card Deck
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Magical Kitties Save the Day
No Future
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
The Scroll or the Blade
GM's Maps 87: Warehouse
Highfell
Sanderson Distillery
Lokis: Sacred Isles of the Northmen
Death Star Technical Companion
Cyberspace
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1281 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Winter's Curse - (IC) In Character Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Winter's Curse!

Story Introduction

You have gathered in the tavern of the main village of Dunn. Most of the village has shown up to witness the gathering of council and heroes. When there was no longer room inside, people stacked outside, peering through windows trying to catch a glimpse of the proceedings. One by one, the various heroes have arrived in town. Today, the final hero has arrived. It is time to act.

The village elder speaks,

"Today is the Dunnhavens first day of summer. Traditionally the longest and brightest day of the year and yet we had another inch of snow fall on the ground this morning. The early planting season has come and gone. Food supplies dwindle and the animals are becoming sick and weak with the never ending bitter cold. Our lands are cursed, though we do not know the cause. You are our hope. Find the cause of this curse and lift it. The villages cannot long withstand the forces of nature and without help I fear we may all perish before long. The council has decided to send you north to the village of Torlos where the severity of the cold weather was reported first. A few have escaped from Torlos in the past few weeks, but none recently. Our messenger who was sent to Torlos recently has also not returned - we grow more convinced that Torlos is the root of the problem. With the driving wind, blowing snow and bitter cold, no horse will make the journey with you. But you may take supplies and know that our prayers go with you. The Dunhaven heroes of old have long since gone... but the stories of their great deeds remain. This is now the beginning of your story."
He pauses briefly to survey those assembled. He continues with the roll call of heroes:

Trahern the Woodsman
Silas the Holy
Daperin the Magnificent
Dorvik the Stout
Repka the Honorable
and Maximillian... the... (he pauses) finder of missing things

Finally, he adds, "Do you have any questions for the council? Otherwise, rest well tonight and we will see you off in the morning. As always,go forth with the spirit of all who have come before you and never relinquish until your task is complete."

you may also talk amongst yourselves... some of you have rumors. Some might even be true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si OldschoolDM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Do not go gentle into that good night
mbmbmbmbmb
Nudge Dorvik and whisper if he knows the name of the last Messenger the elder sent to Torlos?

Then scanning room between peoples legs etc to see if there is anyone I havent seen before apart from the gathered heroes, having lived here for years, strangers should stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirsly wrote:
Nudge Dorvik and whisper if he knows the name of the last Messenger the elder sent to Torlos?

Dorvik will answer as he can.

Quote:
Then scanning room between peoples legs etc to see if there is anyone I haven't seen before apart from the gathered heroes, having lived here for years, strangers should stand out.

You have been around quite some time and know most of the folks of the village (and more than a few know enough to avoid you!). You don't spot anyone suspicions our out of place. Most look tired, hungry and frightened. But there is also some hope in their eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
"I, Repka of Enu, have a question for the Council. Are there any present in this room today that have have left Torlos in recent weeks? Or if not, any in the village?"

I'll look around the room, check out the people there. Do any look noticeably wealthier than the others? Maybe drinking wine rather than what's left of the rancid ale? If I happen to see any 'obbits scurrying around, I'll keep my hands on my belt pouches.

Edit: There's been no mention of pay so far, but I'll keep that thought to myself. These people don't have much, I'll get what I need though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vosarnath wrote:
"I, Repka of Enu, have a question for the Council. Are there any present in this room today that have have left Torlos in recent weeks? Or if not, any in the village?"

The village elder looks around the room, "Is Tomas here?" A brief scuffle as people look around and then a small boy emerges from outside and comes into the main room. He looks a few winters short of adulthood and shakes off the cold. He nods to the elder. "This is Tomas, he escaped from Torlos with his parents. He father died on the journey and his mother died days after arriving. The trip was harsh. Tom, if these men have questions for you please answer them."

Tomas nods a chilly nod. He looks half frozen.

Quote:
I'll look around the room, check out the people there. Do any look noticeably wealthier than the others? Maybe drinking wine rather than what's left of the rancid ale? If I happen to see any 'obbits scurrying around, I'll keep my hands on my belt pouches.

Nobody seems to be doing much better than the rest. A few are clearly well fed, but likely the attrition of hunger hasn't really taken off as many pounds on their larger frames.

Quote:
Edit: There's been no mention of pay so far, but I'll keep that thought to myself. These people don't have much, I'll get what I need though.

The villages have offered up what mundane equipment they have - free to take of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Please. Somebody. Some hot soup for Tomas"

"Now Tom, be brave good lad, and tell us why your parents took you away from your village."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vosarnath wrote:
"Please. Somebody. Some hot soup for Tomas"

One of the serving girls ladles some warm soup into a bowl. She places it onto the corner of one table as another slides a seat up for the boy.

Quote:
"Now Tom, be brave good lad, and tell us why your parents took you away from your village."

Tomas sits and answers, "We were running out of food. The lambs were raided one night - we don't know who did it, but that was our last real supply of meat. A few days later, my Ma and Pa decided to make the trip south to Dunn. Along the road we were attacked by ..."

He pauses and looks paler than before.

"... monsters. Just like the ones they tell children in fairy tales. Only these were real. Very real. They wore thick furs and hides. Their arms were as big as a stout man's leg around. Pa fought them while we ran."

He begins to openly weep. No longer interested in his soup. Several citizens nearby console him and look sternly at Repka for bringing the issue up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Silas moves to comfort the boy, patting a shoulder with one hand while absent mindedly rubbing his holy symbol with the other. "I know this will mean little to you, lad, but all things have their season. Your parents rest with blessed Merikka, now. Your time of grief some day end, and what will remain are the memories of how they loved you.".

Turning to the other adventurers, he says, "I do not think anyone here knows anything more than we do.".

(At this point, he pauses briefly to scan the room, he doesn't have the highest wisdom, but I'm hoping he might be able to catch any stray expressions that might be on someone's face in the crowd if they find his statement ironic. It could be a sign that someone does know something, after all).

"The sooner we are on our way the sooner this curse can be lifted, and the seasons restored to their natural order.".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
Silas moves to comfort the boy, patting a shoulder with one hand while absent mindedly rubbing his holy symbol with the other. "I know this will mean little to you, lad, but all things have their season. Your parents rest with blessed Merikka, now. Your time of grief some day end, and what will remain are the memories of how they loved you.".

A bit of warmth flows from your holy symbol, through your hand and into the youth. He sits a little taller in his seat now, a bit of strength returned to him and he no longer cries.

Quote:
(At this point, he pauses briefly to scan the room, he doesn't have the highest wisdom, but I'm hoping he might be able to catch any stray expressions that might be on someone's face in the crowd if they find his statement ironic. It could be a sign that someone does know something, after all).

Again, just the normal stern faces for a people who are desperate for help.

Quote:
"The sooner we are on our way the sooner this curse can be lifted, and the seasons restored to their natural order.".

You will be afforded rooms here at the inn. It will be crowded - refugees from the smaller villages will be packed at the inn (staying for free) and good homes are opened up to strays. You can discuss rumors when the crowds have gone home. Your journey starts in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
Turning to the other adventurers, he says, "I do not think anyone here knows anything more than we do.".

wavemotion wrote:
Again, just the normal stern faces for a people who are desperate for help.

"Aye, he's a brave lad for sure. But who tended to his mother in her few days in this village before she passed away? Surely she must have had news of Torlos?" (Looking to the villagers present) "Who amongst you spoke to young Tom's mother?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vosarnath wrote:
"Aye, he's a brave lad for sure. But who tended to his mother in her few days in this village before she passed away? Surely she must have had news of Torlos?" (Looking to the villagers present) "Who amongst you spoke to young Tom's mother?"

One of the village healers steps forward. Silas has worked with this reputable man before - his name is Jonas and he speaks, "I tended to the boy's mother - she was half delirious when she arrived. Soon she slipped into a coma and soon after that she passed from this world. A fate, I hope, we don't all share."

In short, no significant information about Torlos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si OldschoolDM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scraps is troubled for a time by Tom's story, evoking memories of his dark past. Then he makes a grab for his unwanted soup...waste not want not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you elder for the introduction. I understand that there is a lot of pressuring issues for us to solve, but nice resting night will be the best things we could do to start as early as possible tomorrow. Although I do not have questions for the council, I would love to speak with the ministrels.

I will wait for the people to start leaving the room and approach the minstrels afterwards

Greetings great speakers of tales, how are you faring on this harsh times? Has this cold sipped the passion of your heart or are they still burning? Anyone among you would know stories about monsters close to what the kid described?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si OldschoolDM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finishing the soup in about 5 seconds flat, I sidle over toward the Elder and dig out my 7 coins, checking them for ancient smooth types which I had heard about from somewhere.

Scraps sketches an awkward bow.

"Nice soup Mr Elder, don't suppose you got any more? And secondly, do you know anything about smoothed ancient coins turning up hereabouts? oh, and got any bread?"

Scraps scans the Elder whilst in conversation for anything which might be loose and accidentally fall off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:

I will wait for the people to start leaving the room and approach the minstrels afterwards

Greetings great speakers of tales, how are you faring on this harsh times? Has this cold sipped the passion of your heart or are they still burning? Anyone among you would know stories about monsters close to what the kid described?

Most of the minstrels have the look of not knowing but the one halfling in the group pipes up, "Blackmoor Orcs. I'm sure of it. They are larger than even the largest men. They take what they want - and leave very little alive in their wake. No songs should ever be written about their horrific acts."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirsly wrote:
"Nice soup Mr Elder, don't suppose you got any more? And secondly, do you know anything about smoothed ancient coins turning up hereabouts? oh, and got any bread?"

More bread is brought for the would-be heroes of Dunnhaven. The village elder looks at you quizzically, "Ancient coins? Hmmm... No. I've not heard much about it. Gust, you know anything about it?"

Kale Gusterson, known more colloquially as Gust, owns the Inn and runs the tavern attached to it. "Aye. I seen my first of them only last week." he strides forward, reaching into his pocket and produces a single gold coin of unknown origin. The markings are strange and the coin very worn.

Quote:
Scraps scans the Elder whilst in conversation for anything which might be loose and accidentally fall off...

He knows you well enough to keep his hands in his pockets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:

Most of the minstrels have the look of not knowing but the one halfling in the group pipes up, "Blackmoor Orcs. I'm sure of it. They are larger than even the largest men - far larger even than your Half-Orc companion. They take what they want - and leave very little alive in their wake. No songs should ever be written about their horrific acts."

Indeed, vile beasts like those should only appear on tales where they are killed, mangled and disposed. Songs were meant to sing about the brave and the bold like our forefathers or about the good looking like ourselves. Still on the tales, are there any talking about blue dragons around the villages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
Still on the tales, are there any talking about blue dragons around the villages?

"Blue Dragons! No, nothing like that. There are rumors that Dragons once filled this valley long before the original Heroes of Dunnhaven arrived here to tame the land. But not in 200 years has a Dragon been seen in these parts." The Minstrels begin to play a soft melodic song about Dragons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a beautiful song my lads.

I look around to see if there is any lady interested on this song and looking to us. If so, after they finish, I ask.

Mind if I learn a bit of it with you?

Btw I forgot to ask if the lute proficiency that I added on my background is ok to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si OldschoolDM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"That is a fine old coin, Kale. I think it would be useful on our quest if we had something to compare these coins with. What do you think, Mr Elder? should we take this coin with us?"

I try my bestest to look questy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
I look around to see if there is any lady interested on this song and looking to us.

Sadly, no.

Quote:
If so, after they finish, I ask.

Mind if I learn a bit of it with you?

You produce your lute and the minstrels nod with approval. A traveling Mage with musical skills - unusual indeed! They help you along with the song.

Quote:
Btw I forgot to ask if the lute proficiency that I added on my background is ok to go.

Tis okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirsly wrote:
"That is a fine old coin, Kale. I think it would be useful on our quest if we had something to compare these coins with. What do you think, Mr Elder? should we take this coin with us?"

He replies, "Well... if you feel it would help in your quest then the village coffers will gladly exchange a realms Gold Coin for that unusual one." He motions to a servant to fetch one gold coin to exchange it for the ancient and worn coin...

You are now in possession of that coin.

As you eye the coin - possibly more than you see in a month - the Elder shakes his head a bit knowing that you've done sneakier things before to increase your coinage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
The villages have offered up what mundane equipment they have - free to take of course.
"So be it. I have never had cause to venture to Torlos. How far is it? And would the good people of Dunn be able to find furs and warm clothing for us on our journey?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vosarnath wrote:
wavemotion wrote:
"So be it. I have never had cause to venture to Torlos. How far is it? And would the good people of Dunn be able to find furs and warm clothing for us on our journey?"

You can assume all the furs and clothing you can carry. Tents as well. If the weather were good, you would make it 2 days by foot. In this weather, you can expect 4 days if you don't push it... 3 if you force things a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:

You produce your lute and the minstrels nod with approval. A traveling Mage with musical skills - unusual indeed! They help you along with the song.

While we play through the song I chit chat about those dragon tales.

Is there a good library here I could read about those dragons? Or maybe would the elder knows some more stories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.