Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
452 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 3-00 Intro 1: In Service to Lore» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Bearpaw's In Service to Lore PBF - IC thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC thread -- Character geeklist

Absalom, the City at the Center of the World. Founded 4700 years ago and designed by the god Aroden himself according to myth, Absalom is a hub of mercantile and spiritual activity, as well as a living part of mythology. Traders from all over the globe come to sell their wares in this shining beacon of civilization.
Many armies have tried to conquer Absalom, but it has never fallen. The ruins of dozens of siege castles litter the grounds outside Absalom’s walls, and its harbor is so choked with the masts and hulls of sunken warships that safely reaching the city's docks requires the steady eye of a paid pilot.

At the heart of the Foreign Quarter lies an immense walled fortress, within which is located the headquarters of the Pathfinder Society, the Grand Lodge, and your reason for being in the city. After spending several years in training and service at the lodge under the able tutelage of various taskmasters, you have finally attained the status of field operatives.
This morning, you arrived at Skyreach - an enormous, white, five-towered palace that sweeps high above the district. You had been informed that you were to report here at the break of dawn.

After being led to an office by a tall and meticulously groomed man, he motions you to sit and introduces himself as Ambrus Valsin, venture-captain in charge of the daily operations in and around the Grand Lodge.
"All right Pathfinders! Listen up. I know you are new recruits eager to make names for yourselves in the organization, but first we need to make sure you are up to snuff and won’t get yourself killed out there.
"Every day we get some doe-eyed hopeful or some sniveling bootlicker willing to do anything to join up with the Pathfinders. Most of them are good kids, but not all of them have the salt to make it in a world like this. It’s rough out there and I’m not just talking about the ruins, tombs, and wilderness Pathfinders find themselves in on missions."


Turning towards the window, the man locks his arms behind his back, "We’ve got people who look down their noses at us, folks who think we squander our resources, and agents who want to take everything we have collected. This wealth of knowledge and these items of lore make us the most powerful organization on the planet. That said, since we are fractured and widespread, it’s difficult for that power to light on anything for too long. For every friend of the Society, there are two enemies."

Seating himself behind the desk, he slowly strokes his mustache before continuing, "Your first mission, to test your mettle and loyalties, sends you to meet a few people important to the Society living here in Absalom. These are other venture-captains or close allies of our organization, so follow their orders as you would mine. I’ve prepared a list of things I want you to do. They’re not arranged in any particular order of importance, but I want them all completed as quickly as possible. Only report to me once you complete them all. Included in this envelope is the list, complete with the name of your contact, and directions to the meeting location."

Ambrus then opens a drawer and throws an envelope on the desk.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lydia has been listening attentively. Her eyes follow the envelope as it drops on to the desk, then she looks at Valsin, and then her companions. "May I?" she asks, before taking the envelope and opening it with her thumbnail; she then carefully pulls out the contents.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cade has been figeting and looking around the office, only half-listening. As Lydia picks up the envelope, he hops off his seat and moves over to her side. So, what do we have to do? he asks cheerfully.

Have we met each other before, or is this the first time we have been together?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alistair listened to the venture captain intently. As the envelope slid across the desk, the young man nodded slightly as Lydia picked it up. "Be my guest."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C C
United States
Esky
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolo watches as intently as he can. A certain vibrance and excitement rolls off of him. He strains on his toes to try and peek at the letter. An occasional nudge and whisper comes from him.

"What is it? Psst, what's it say. Hey, how big is it?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing how eager the others are, Lydia places the envelope's contents on the table for all to see.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Jaurin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
parrais wrote:
Seeing how eager the others are, Lydia places the envelope's contents on the table for all to see.

Kenta looks eagerly on the contents of the envelope, stepping forward from the wall he has leaned against.

"Whatever it is in there, I hope it's enough to keep us occupied. I didn't join this organisation to be an errand boy."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opening up the envelope, Lydia finds a sheet of parchment, describing various tasks in meticulous handwriting:

------------------------------
Assignment #17:

☐ A man named Guaril Karela runs a curio shop in the Docks called the Pickled Imp. Go to him and fill his request as a favor to the Society. I believe it has something to do with a set of rare books.

☐ Ollysta Zadrian requested aid and is expecting you at the Temple of the Shining Star in the Ascendant Court. She needs someone to deliver a parcel of medicine and curatives to a needy orphanage and verify the character of the recipient.

☐ Visit the offices of Osirian nobleman Dremdhet Salhar in the Wise Quarter. The Pathfinder Society needs to obtain permission to delve the Salhar ancestral vaults beneath Sothis. He has made a verbal agreement, and your visit makes it official. You will receive an official charter and detailed maps. Do not embarrass the Society in this matter.

☐ Chelish Paracountess Zarta Dralneen possesses an item loaned from the Vaults. Meet with her in her estate in the Ivy District and retrieve the item in her possession.

------------------------------

A second sheet is included in the envelope with what seems to be detailed directions to the various contacts. Shuffling through some papers on his desk, the venture-captain nods towards a map of Absalom mounted on the wall, "That map shows the districts, in case you're not familiar with the city yet. As I said, you're free to handle your tasks in whatever order you see fit, but it would be best if you could finish them before the day's end."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cade scans the list of tasks, and tries to figure out which would be the closest location. Knowledge (Local) 1d20+6 = (8) + 6 = 14
He scowls briefly when he sees the last task on the list. He then gives a jaunty salute to the venture-captain, and declares We'll have them done in no time!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 52066. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (8) + 6 =
  • 14
  • Knowledge (Local)
  • Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:55 pm
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lydia scans down the list, and as a mother herself, one task in particular leaps out at her. "Oh those poor children! We should make sure we get that medicine delivered as soon as possible. I'm probably not the best person to lead the way; being in a city this size is still making my head spin."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I suppose that would be the best one to start with. However, is there one you would recommend higher than the others, venture-captain?" Alistair raised his eyes from the paper to glance at Captain Valsin.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C C
United States
Esky
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolo looks lost for a moment before stepping back and nodding in agreement with everyone.

"Most exceptional! Indeed yes! We'll even have time for a pint or three by the end of the day. Maybe I'll even have to douse a worm off the docks... Kolo says as he stares idly off into the distance.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Jaurin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenta takes a look at Kolo and bellows out: "Haha. You might be right about that. Which is good, since I still need the practice if I'm ever going to get used to these western spirits."

Kenta looks a the rest of the group and speaks. All these tasks seem of some importance. And if were going to make all of them I don't really care about in which order it is done.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrus glances up at the short red-haired human that adressed him, "Not in particular. You should see your contacts for more information, and I'll kindly remind you that they are authority figures, so you are expected to respect and obey them."



Cade's Knowledge check:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The directions given to the adress in the Wise Quarter is the only one that seems to be slightly farther than the others. You are aware that there are coaches for hire in the city for 1 copper piece, however a coach can only seat four people comfortably.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cade starts walking out of the office, while looking back to talk to the others and make sure they are following him.
OK, it's settled then! Let's head off to the Temple and talk to Ollysta. Do we want to hire a coach? I know it will be a bit cozy, but we can chat on the way!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes, venture-captain." Alistair is courteous as always, but he can't help but shake his head slightly. He leans on his staff as he looks he holds a hand out to Lydia to help her up. "If this is everyone's wish, then I suppose we should begin."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Jaurin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As you wish, venture-captain". Kenta makes a slight nod and heads out the door. "Cale's suggestion about taking a coach doesn't seem like a bad idea. A bit snug for my taste, but if it speeds up the travel I'm all for it."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C C
United States
Esky
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolo follows close behind Cade. He straightens his coat, adjusts his pack and begins to munch on a small biscuit as he strolls out of the room. He attempts an interjection but stops speaking after realizing the biscuit obscures any words.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After leaving the office you find yourselves walking down the Great Hall, an immense chamber with an ornate fountain in the center. The ceiling of the room is clad in an illusion showing the sky above the city as if it were night, with astrological markers identifying constellations. Stepping outside into the piercing light of dawn, you exit the Grand Lodge through its main gate, decorated with the Glyph of the Open Road.

Stepping onto the wide cobbled streets of the Foreign Quarter, you look upon the large plazas before you, rife with numerous shops that cater to adventurers of all stripes. The streets and markets are swarming with countless people of all nationalities, and the air is buzzing with hundreds of languages.

As you take in all the sounds and smells, your attention is drawn to a small hackney coach, drawn by two horses, that comes rattling down the street. On its bench is seated a small gnome with bright blue hair. As he looks in your direction, he pulls hard on the reins he's handling, "Hooo there, I almost ran over you people, what are ya thinkin', standin' about in the middle of the street," he hollers as he flashes a bright smile at you.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cade looks hungrily at the biscuit Kolo is eating, and his stomach rumbles. Does anyone want to stop and get a little snack along the way?
As the coach comes to a stop, he smiles back at the gnome. Good day to you! We would like to go to the Temple of the Shining Star in the Ascendant Court, please.
Cade will pay the gnome, then hurry over and open the door for Lydia. After you, Ma'am!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On stepping outside, Lydia seems anxious, looking around at the bustling street in this incomprehensibly large city. She finally notices Cade holding the door for her. "Oh, thank you Cade!" she says, as she steps up into the carriage. She sits down and pats the seat next to her. "I'm sure we can squeeze up on this side, so the gentlemen can take the seats opposite."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C C
United States
Esky
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolo brushes the biscuit from his jacket before attempting to enter the coach. It takes him a few tries but Kolo manages to finagle himself into the coach. He gives a smile at his companions across the coach before searching for another biscuit...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Jaurin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenta enters the carriage, looks for an empty seat by a windom and sits down after adjusting the swords around his waist. Not saying much, he starts staring out the window.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once all of her colleagues are seated, Lydia leans over to catch the coach-gnome's attention. "Hello, I think we're ready to depart now," she says politely.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alistair sits quietly, his expression a mask of worry. "May I see the list of jobs again, Lydia?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] |