Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
792 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [32] | 

Basic Dungeons & Dragons» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Basic D&D - Threats of the Past CH 2: Old Fortresses (IC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
Microbadge: I love RPG Geek play by forum games!Microbadge: I'm an RPGG Hero! You can be one too!Microbadge: Following of sdonohue - Pull My FingerMicrobadge: Battlestations fan (second edition)Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Platinum Participant
"I'm not really sure if the fortress was built entirely underground. I'd always assumed it was above ground." Blane Considers for a quick moment, "I was thinking this might be one of the secret entrances into the fortress. Which makes sense being a tunnel. I was thinking we'd come up eventually. But this seems a rather elaborate tunnel really, now that I think about it."

Seeing Elkin give the door a cursory glance before opening it Blane flinches slightly, He'd heard stories of doors in tunnels like this being trapped with horrible devices or even magic. "Elkin, I defer to your judgment, but might we want to check the doors a little more closely. Just in case?"

I agree with you Harnish. I've always been the type to throw caution to the wind. But it's generally soon after the first player who does we lose our first party member. Sticking in character though I'll have to remain cautious.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya creeps forward and peers around the corner. If it appears clear, she says quietly, "Inky darkness. No surprise there! Someone cover me while I check this door."

Visya will then listen at the door in the corner and check it for traps.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Avatar
Microbadge: Corporate droneMicrobadge: Actuary - ExtrovertedMicrobadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: ActuaryMicrobadge: D ixviqzj yjsk xujzy, gij ggr O buz rgy onon gczyuhk sdixjhgymk. Ikgo!
Looking a little uncertain about it, Yevgeni gets out a sling and readies a pellet. "I never thought to use this beyond hunting for game," he mutters nervously.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teancum slides along the wall, slightly in front of the group. Sliding up to the door beside Visya; he prepares himself for the slightest provocation.

His eyes shift nervously about the confined space as he speaks. Does this place not seem unnaturally still? The air doesn't even smell right.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Visya creeps forward and peers around the corner. If it appears clear, she says quietly, "Inky darkness. No surprise there! Someone cover me while I check this door."

Visya will then listen at the door in the corner and check it for traps.
Visya hears nothing on the other side of the door. As she was leaning in to listen, she noticed that the door was slightly ajar, as though it wasn't shut all the way the last time someone came through.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DM Roll: 1d4 = (2) = 2

Thad kicks in the door and it flies open into the room!

He enters the room and quickly takes in the size of the room and its contents. The room is 10x10 and is packed with stuff.

Thad sees a large keg sitting on its side, directly across from the door, which now stands open. There are several shelves along the northwest corner of the room, branching out to the east and south. There are large crates to the left of the doorway.

As the door opened Thad saw two sets of glowing eyes moving around. The creatures that own them scurried away as the door was opening.

Aside from the pairs sent scurrying, a lone creature is kneeling on the ground with its head under the spigot of the giant keg. As Thad comes into the room, the mouth of the creature drops open and it is frozen, staring at you all. The greenish skin and pointy ears, on a creature not much taller than 3 feet, tells any dwarf worth his salt that these are orcs!

Here is a map:

The green dot just inside the open door is Thad. The other green dots are the rest of you. The two red dots represent the orcs - one in front of the keg and the other two running toward the crates in the southwest corner of the room.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 63757. lorddillon
  • 1d4 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Mon Dec 5, 2011 2:51 am
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody speak Orc?

Visya slips into the room behind Thad, training her bow on one of the scurrying orcs. "Not so fast, mister!" she whispers harshly.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Anrad speaks several languages, but orcish is not one of them.

The grizzled old Dwarf steps into the room, sword ready, prepared to join battle if the orcs appear to be threatening.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teancum slides into the room, as well; his eyes quiclky trying to take in the entire picture. Noticing the orcs seemed to enjoy the keg; he tried a more light-hearted approach. Is there room at the spigot for one more? I'm sure my friend here could drink you under a table! While pointing out who he was talking about, it seemed rather obvious he had the dwarf in mind.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
Microbadge: I love RPG Geek play by forum games!Microbadge: I'm an RPGG Hero! You can be one too!Microbadge: Following of sdonohue - Pull My FingerMicrobadge: Battlestations fan (second edition)Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Platinum Participant
Blane takes a second to realize what is happening. He readies his weapons and will move up to support his friends.

Not sure if there will be enough space in the room for Blane to squeeze in and not interfere. He'll support from outside the room if possible.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Avatar
Microbadge: Corporate droneMicrobadge: Actuary - ExtrovertedMicrobadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: ActuaryMicrobadge: D ixviqzj yjsk xujzy, gij ggr O buz rgy onon gczyuhk sdixjhgymk. Ikgo!
Yevgeni stays back, so as not to crowd the room. Particularly he doesn't want to spark violence by overly intimidating the humanoid.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Astinex wrote:
Not sure if there will be enough space in the room for Blane to squeeze in and not interfere. He'll support from outside the room if possible.
Remember that basic D&D is not so square dependent as 4e or the later part of 3.5, so I can reasonably see having two or three PCs in a 5 foot square area without too much trouble - you are more like normal sized people than muscle bound behemoths unable to fit more than one person in a 5 foot area.

When/if combat starts, you will probably want to spread out, but since we haven't rolled initiative yet, you will be fine stepping in and looking about.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eklin draws back his bow preparing to fire. "My experience, based on a careful reading of Telvarane's All Things Orcish and Duran Ironhammer's classic treatise "Orcs: We Came, We Saw, We Kicked their Green, Treacherous Asses", is that with orcs it is best to kill them and then burn the bodies. Parlaying with them is just going to get us a knife in the ribs or placed on a spit."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dog Boy wrote:
He attacks one of the two on the northwest corner.
And now we are in combat. Please roll me a d6 for initiative! Since Thad is taking the first shot, I figure he should do the rolling.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First combat in a long time, so I will refresh your memory:

1. Morale: N/A for the party

2. Movement: Anyone who moves does so now; remember that if you move, you do nothing else until the next round, the movement is your action. If you choose to move, please tell me where you would like to go.

3. Missile Combat: Not spells, only thrown or missile weapons. If you are doing this, tell me your target and roll your attack and damage. I will tell you the outcome.

4. Magic: Spell casters cast their magic, let me know what you are casting and what the target is. I will roll saves for the target (if appropriate) and tell you the outcome.

5. Melee Combat: If you are fighting hand-to-hand tell me your target and roll your attack and damage. I will tell you the outcome.

Go ahead and state your actions intended actions and then we will roll and resolve them all in the appropriate order.


Orc Initiative: 1d6 = (3) = 3
DM Roll: 2d6 = (6 + 3) = 9
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 64454. lorddillon
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:40 pm
  • [+]
  • 64457. lorddillon
  • 2d6 =
  • (6 + 3) =
  • 9
  • Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:46 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question apropos those of us who posted about moving into the room earlier - are we already in the room, or should we declare that as our action for the first round?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Quick question apropos those of us who posted about moving into the room earlier - are we already in the room, or should we declare that as our action for the first round?
If you already posted that you were moving into the room, then you are there. That action happened before we rolled init.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing Thad so quickly jump into action; Teancum gives a small shrug and decides he must support his comrades.

Gripping his staff tightly; he swings towards the nearest orc in a low arc. His intentions are more to trip the beast than to cause serious harm.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
Microbadge: I love RPG Geek play by forum games!Microbadge: I'm an RPGG Hero! You can be one too!Microbadge: Following of sdonohue - Pull My FingerMicrobadge: Battlestations fan (second edition)Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Platinum Participant
Blane is not caught off guard by the action, but is surprised how quickly things turned violent. He moves to keep out of the way of people directly engaging the Orcs, but is ready to step in should someone be wounded and have to step back. His shield and mace at the ready.

If there is an opening which may allow the Orcs to possibly flank the front line, Blane will step up to close the gap.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay - Thad hasn't responded, so someone else (first come first serve) roll me a d6 for the party's init please.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
Microbadge: I love RPG Geek play by forum games!Microbadge: I'm an RPGG Hero! You can be one too!Microbadge: Following of sdonohue - Pull My FingerMicrobadge: Battlestations fan (second edition)Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Platinum Participant
For Thad!!! 1d6 = (3) = 3
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 64677. Astinex
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • For Thad!!!
  • Wed Dec 7, 2011 6:34 pm
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, party goes first:
Anyone moving moves first
Then missile combat - Thad is firing an arrow I believe
The Magic
Then Melee


Go ahead and state your actions intended actions and then we will roll and resolve them all in the appropriate order.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya listens to Eklin, shrugs, and shoots an arrow at the nearest orc's throat.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrad will move to engage the Orc nearest him and swing his sword.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Avatar
Microbadge: Corporate droneMicrobadge: Actuary - ExtrovertedMicrobadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: ActuaryMicrobadge: D ixviqzj yjsk xujzy, gij ggr O buz rgy onon gczyuhk sdixjhgymk. Ikgo!
Yevgeni, still standing outside the room, isn't sure who started the hostilities (but inwardly hopes it wasn't his party). He takes hold of his staff, ready to defend as needed, and scans the corridor to ensure they don't get flanked.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [32] |