New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya, having found no traps or triggers, and not hearing anything on the other side of the door, steps aside so that Anrad can open the door. Blane keeps watch close by, and Eklin ensures that the torchlight is in the most efficient place for everyone to see as much as possible.

Once again, the light blue square indicates an area in which you have very minimal light, but you think you can make out the basic features of what is in that area. Also, the green dot is where you all are currently, including the torch-bearer.

The door opens... The room extends out 20 feet from the door and opens to the right approximately 30 feet, forming a rectangle.

As the light from Eklin's torch reaches the far corner of the room, everyone looking in that direction sees something shiny glinting in the flickering light. It looks like a shiny, sparkling outcropping of crystalline rock. It dazzles when light reflects off of it.

There appears to be nothing else in the room. You also note that, in terms of dust, this room is quite a bit cleaner than the other places you have been. You see only a very thin layer of dust, not the thick, almost dirt-like dust you have been encountering elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having no interest in what he believes to be mundane shiny things with monetary value; Teancum insteads takes up his usual place just outside the door. He keeps his eyes trained down the hallway and rooms behind them; wanting to make sure the group isn't caught unawares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Interesting. Less dust in here may indicate that it has been sealed for a lot longer." But does the air taste stale? "Or it could be that this room has seen more recent use, which suggests another door hidden from plain sight. Lady Visya, you have shown admirable caution in checking that we are safe. Would you be so kind as to employ your expertise? No doubt Master Eklin will then be able to find any secret passage in short order."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blane's excited anticipation has begun to fade a bit. He again begins to think these tunnels are probably just abandoned. The ground easily shows the group's passage through the area. If anything had been here recently the dust would certainly have been disturbed.

The lack of dust in the next room causes Blane to consider something. "The lack of dust makes no sense. It's so uniform throughout the room. I can only imagine it has something to do with magic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya steps forward at Yevgeni's words, then pauses at Blane's, fearful of possible magic. But she feels like she has found her role within the group and steels herself to step forward.

Visya creeps carefully along the near wall and around to the outcropping, checking for any traps or other dangers along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting feature, would you not say?" Eklin says, moving forward to inspect the outcropping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology wrote:
Having no interest in what he believes to be mundane shiny things with monetary value; Teancum insteads takes up his usual place just outside the door. He keeps his eyes trained down the hallway and rooms behind them; wanting to make sure the group isn't caught unawares.

It is very dark down the hallway, and as you try to look down the hall, things seem fuzzy or blurry, but you blink and it returns to normal. The ever-dim light must be getting to you, it looks even darker down the hall now, if that is possible.

Stelio wrote:
"Interesting. Less dust in here may indicate that it has been sealed for a lot longer." But does the air taste stale? "Or it could be that this room has seen more recent use, which suggests another door hidden from plain sight. Lady Visya, you have shown admirable caution in checking that we are safe. Would you be so kind as to employ your expertise? No doubt Master Eklin will then be able to find any secret passage in short order."

You do not notice any footprints (or animal prints) anywhere in the room.

Astinex wrote:
Blane's excited anticipation has begun to fade a bit. He again begins to think these tunnels are probably just abandoned. The ground easily shows the group's passage through the area. If anything had been here recently the dust would certainly have been disturbed.

The lack of dust in the next room causes Blane to consider something. "The lack of dust makes no sense. It's so uniform throughout the room. I can only imagine it has something to do with magic."

You also do not notice any footprints (or animal prints) anywhere in the room.

vestige wrote:
Visya steps forward at Yevgeni's words, then pauses at Blane's, fearful of possible magic. But she feels like she has found her role within the group and steels herself to step forward.

Visya creeps carefully along the near wall and around to the outcropping, checking for any traps or other dangers along the way.

You find neither traps nor hidden doors. The crystal outcropping sparkles nicely. As you look at it, you can see your own reflection in the facets of the crystal. It seems strange to you that such a thing would grow out of the corner of a room in a place like this.

MJ Harnish wrote:
An interesting feature, would you not say?" Eklin says, moving forward to inspect the outcropping.

The crystal looks very out of place to you. It seems it should be in a mine or jeweler's shop, or on a fey necklace. You sense a power within the crystal, but it is only a very slight feeling you have about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what, exactly, he is seeing - and having learned to trust his senses; Teancum quietly calls for the aid of the elf or dwarf.

Those of you with good eyes, join me. And see what you can make of this darkness. Teancum will quietly relate what he has seen to them; concerning the blurriness, and what appears to be an intensifying darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a moment Blane realizes he has little to offer the group in the current circumstance. But to use his skills bad things would have to happen. He considers this and decides to be as useful as possible. "Would it be helpful if I held the torch?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya creeps across the room and nocks an arrow to her bow, positioning herself to shoot down the hall if necessary. She does her best to keep the outcropping visible through the corner of her eye if possible as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrad, sword at the ready, creeps forward to join Teancum, using his infravision to peer into the increasing darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You look down the hall and see only pitch blackness. It seems more gloomy than it was before, if that is possible, but nothing out of the ordinary is there.

Here is a map with the light source centered correctly and a purple dot where the crystal outcropping is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
You look down the hall and see only pitch blackness.

Even with infravision?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
lorddillon wrote:
You look down the hall and see only pitch blackness.

Even with infravision?

Oh - you're right, my bad.

You look down the hall and see nothing much of interest except dim greyness. Though the illumination from Eklin's torch obscures your infravision slightly, you are sure that there is nothing giving off any heat or light down the hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I think we should leave the crystal be, for now. While I sense some magic associated with it, it likely will make a lot of noise, and may even be hazardous, if we attempt to remove it. For the time being, I would suggest we simply move on."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya nods at Eklin's suggestion. "I sure can't make head or tail of it. I say we head north down this corridor and see what awaits ahead."

What is our marching order now that Thad and Nod have vanished into the ether? Is it Teancum and Anrad, then Eklin and Yevgeni, then Blane and Visya?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teancum nods his agreement to the proposed plan. Yes. Moving on seems like the best idea. The sooner we exit these confining tunnels, the better.

With that, Teancum begins slinking along the darkened hallways; using his staff to probe any suspect areas for traps.

I think your marching order is correct, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with marching order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
"To the north, then. And let us close the door to this room behind us; something seems odd about it, and I would rather not leave us open to the opportunity of an attack with our backs turned."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The door to the room is shut and the group moves along the passageway carefully. Anrad takes point and stays slightly ahead of Eklin's torchlight, so as to not obscure his infravision.

There appears to be nothing of interest in the hallway, but Anrad spots a wooden door to the north. It appears similar to the others you have seen in this place already.

You are surrounded by silence and darkness, but you think you hear faint dripping noises coming from other places in the fortress. the stillness is creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blane follows the group alternating between looking at the others' backs and looking at the darkness behind them. He can't imagine that anything might sneak up on them from behind so close the the entrance, but he figures its good practice.

"So does anyone have any idea how big this place might really be?" Blane asks. "I remember stories of the place having at least two levels, but from what I heard it was never really finished."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Two levels? Underground?" Eklin gulps audibly. "Me thinks that nothing good can come from roaming around underground."

He then moves on to the door, having a look at it, and if it looks reasonably safe (by elf standards), he'll open it.*

*Old-school or not, I hate being risk averse simply out of the fear of tripping a trap, so fuck it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eklin marches forward and swings open the door, which elicits a loud creaking noise as it opens toward him.

The green dot is Eklin. As always, the yellow circle is the torchlight, and the half transparent blue overlays areas that are in shadow.

No trap - are you disappointed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ah there we go. If they didn't know we were here before, they do now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrad steps forward and peers round the corner, ready to duck back at the sight of trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [32] |