Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
792 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [32] | 

Basic Dungeons & Dragons» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Basic D&D - Threats of the Past CH 2: Old Fortresses (IC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Threats of the Past Campaign - CHAPTER 2: Old Fortresses


Here are some appropriate links for this game:
Original Intro OOC Thread
Character Generation Thread
Threats of the Past PC Wiki Page

TotP Chapter 1: Old Rumours (IC)
TotP Chapter 1: Old Rumours (OOC)

TotP Chapter 2: Old Fortesses (OOC)

This is the IN CHARACTER Thread for Chapter 2: Old Fortresses. Please subscribe to this thread; for future ease of locating it I also recommend using a quicklink.

This thread is specifically for IN CHARACTER actions and conversations. In this thread you should put in quotes and either bold or colorize what your PC is saying. You can describe the PC’s actions in regular color and non-bold text.

To perform rolls for the game we will use the in-thread dice-roller. When you describe dice rolls and any questions or comments related to those rolls (i.e. not something your PC is saying or doing) please do that in greyed out text - this is easiest to perform by typing this: [ color=grey ] text you want to ask about + roll [/color ] but without the spaces. It will turn out like this: Sample text + note. For further examples of what this should look like, please see this excellent play by post thread: wavemotion’s game.

The Out Of Character thread has been put up and in it you can ask questions, clarify rules, discuss things amongst yourselves (tactics, plans, etc.).

RULES FOR THE PLAY-BY-POST GAME:

1. Posting Schedule: players should post a minimum of once every 3 days. More is preferred, but I understand the difficulties of posting more than once every day or two. I will be online every day and will check and respond to anyone who has performed an action or asked a question.

2. If a player misses the posting deadline, the game will go on and that person will be skipped. If this happens in the middle of combat the PC misses their turn. If it happens during a role-playing or decision making point, then that PC is assumed to remain quiet and assent to whatever decision the other PCs have come to.

3. If a player knows they are going to be out of internet range for an extended period, they can arrange for another player to post for their PC if they feel it necessary. This is at the discretion of the two players and the DM will okay it with a word of approval from BOTH players.

4. This should go without saying in this group, but please be respectful towards your fellow players and the DM. This game is meant to be fun and I’d like to keep it that way. I know none of you really need this reminder, but it is better to have it as a general rule than not mention it.

5. I am basically running this Rules as Written, but there are probably small areas where I will change something or make a judgment call to house-rule something. I will let you know in advance if I do so, or it will be as a result of one of you asking about something.

6. Please feel free to ask me anything else that you would like to know.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunrise comes around at 5am, but you are hewn in by snow and dark clouds, so you do not see much more than a dull brightness lighting the sky.
Current Month: Fyrmont (8th Month, late summer)
Current Day: 6th (Loshdain is the name of the day of the week, its basically Friday)
Notes: This is the beginning of your 6th full day together.



You are currently sitting under a slate black outcropping. The area is about 15 feet (~5 meters) on each side, giving you ample space to be away from the raging storm outside.

The night passes without incident and you all wake a bit more refreshed than you thought possible, given your soggy state the night before.

You hear the wind outside blowing continuously and while there is still snow on the ground, you are warm enough due to the fire that was kept lit by each team on watch.

The sparse vegetation on the mountain outside the outcropping is covered by a layer of snow that you did not expect at this time of year.

As the day dawns and you break camp, you have time to look at the large wooden door that seems to lead directly into the mountainside. It appears to be well hinged, but swings relatively freely, though you haven't yet moved it more than a couple of centimeters (an inch or so).

Those paying attention will see that small bits of wood have been chipped away at the edge of the door, possibly indicating that it was previously forced open.



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
During the night Blane had yet another dream. The three now familiar visitors were still not entirely recognizable though he knew two to be male and one to be female. This time each approached Blane and he felt varied emotions when they did so. The strongest feeling came when the female approached him. The female didn’t necessarily inspire confidence so much as her closeness caused confidence to grow from within Blane. As the three, in turn, approached and then receded Blane felt a calling from each. He had the realization that he was meant to choose one of these three, yet he wasn’t sure why.

Blane awoke and felt well rested despite the rough treatment by the elements. He went about quietly packing up his things and preparing for another day of travel. Not sure if the group would choose to enter the doors or head back out into the cold, Blane packed everything except his clothes. He wanted to be ready to dress for cold weather if required.

“Good morning all.” Blane began in a cheerful tone, but not overly loud. “I hope everyone rested well. I’d like to start of the discussion as to what we should do by saying I would like to enter these doors into what I believe is Quesqueton.” Blane took a breath. “I know we can’t be sure the light came from this keep, but honestly I always hoped we’d search the famous old fortress regardless. I also am not sure how dangerous traveling on the snow covered mountain might be.”

“What do you all think?”
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya sleeps like a log after finishing her watch and wakes much more relaxed. She wolfs down breakfast, only then turning to examine their surroundings. The view and the snow impress her, but the door fascinates her.

"Just a lonely door? Hardly seems much of a fortress - I guess grand adventurer muckety-mucks like these two from the story don't think like normal folks! But I'm with Blane - a door unopened just leaves thieves behind you. Now let me take a closer look...."

Visya will carefully inspect the door, trying to learn how long since it was opened and whether there are any traps. Unfortunately, her short attention span means only a 10% chance to detect anything!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry - I forgot to enable public rolls. I have done so now!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 51656. lorddillon
  • 1d100 =
  • (44) =
  • 44
  • Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:29 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that raises an interesting question - should I roll for find traps stuff, or do you want to do it? Normally in my game I would do that in secret, since we shouldn't know the outcome - not an obvious good way to do that with our die roller, though!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we can trust our Dungeon Master to make secret rolls, can't we

Anrad will use his Dwarven senses to examine the cave, looking for traps, slopes, construction, age, anything else of interest.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eklin looks from the storm raging outside to the door and back to the storm, and then frowns. "It seems our choices are bad or worse. I'm not fan of being hemmed in by tons of stone over my head but neither am I a fan of being blown off the side of a mountain by a raging storm. Does anyone have an idea on how to open the door?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Visya will carefully inspect the door, trying to learn how long since it was opened and whether there are any traps. Unfortunately, her short attention span means only a 10% chance to detect anything!

It is hard to say. The chips along the edge look worn, but since the door was ajar when you got here, there's no way to determine if the weather has made it seem that they are old or they really are old wounds to the wood. You estimate the markings along the edge are probably at least a month old, but you are relatively unsure of your time estimate.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Actually, that raises an interesting question - should I roll for find traps stuff, or do you want to do it? Normally in my game I would do that in secret, since we shouldn't know the outcome - not an obvious good way to do that with our die roller, though!

I think I will start doing that in secret - I went ahead and added this first one to my last post, but in the future I think it better if I don't reveal the rolls. That is how I would do it in a face-to-face game...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teancum stares out at the cold, snow-covered mountains for a few minutes. It reminded him of his early days of training; having to stand in the snow, holding an awkward position for what seemed like hours on end. However, that was always on known land; where one knew what to expect underneath the snow. This, though, was uncharted territory.

Turning back to the door, Teancum walks over to assist with the examination of the doors and the search for traps. As he looks over the door, Teancum will address his comrades, stating the obvious.

I suggest we take care when opening the door. Perhaps hiding to the sides of the cavern. We do not know what will be lurking on the other side.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
I think we can trust our Dungeon Master to make secret rolls, can't we

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

bigfluffylemon wrote:
Anrad will use his Dwarven senses to examine the cave, looking for traps, slopes, construction, age, anything else of interest.

You do not find any traps in the area covered by the outcropping.

From what you see, the cave-like outcropping was carved into on purpose and is not a naturally occurring outcrop. The stone here is a very dark slate, and looks to be very solid. Whomever carved this was relatively precise, but you can see some areas with slight imperfections. It appears to be at least 50 or 60 years old.

The floor slopes up from the outside opening to the door by about 7-10% - not a huge amount, but definitely noticeable to you. The door isn't open enough for you to tell whether or not this slope continues beyond the doorway. It is also impossible to tell the exact age of the corridor beyond the doorway, but the stonework around the door seems to be quite a bit younger than the outcropping itself, maybe by 20 years.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Thad moves pauses before the door, Teancum slides to the side. Crouching slightly by the cavern wall - and out of the door's path - Teancum grips his staff tightly and tenses his legs; preparing himself to spring forward, or to the side, if need be.

Once readied, he gives Thad a nod of assent to open the door.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blane had taken position at the entrance to the cave away from the door. not out of any concern, but in order to facilitate an easy transition into his normal position at the rear of the group. His proximity to the cave entrance has a chill draft blowing across his back. A slight shiver stands the hair up on the back of his neck.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dog Boy wrote:
When everyone is prepared Thad slowly pushes the door, to see if it swings out, and then slightly pulls to see if it swing in.

No need to test this - when you get close enough you can see that the hinges are such that the door opens into you (i.e. into the outcropping, but out of the fortress) - so it will swing towards Thad.

Dog Boy wrote:
Then he tries to open the door slowly and quietly as possible. He primarily wants the door swings in (towards Thad).

It does indeed swing towards you. It is not locked, in fact it is slightly ajar, as Visya noted earlier.

Dog Boy wrote:
He would pause to let everone know he is going in, dropping his spear and drawing his sword.

I will assume everyone gets ready before you open the door.

Those that have not answered yet, let me know your current position.

Also, Thad, don't forget to pick your spear back up later


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya crouches in whatever shadows are available, nocking an arrow in her bow.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrad draws his sword, hoists is shield and stands before the door next to Thad, ready to face what lies beyond.

"I'm ready. Let's see what's in there."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
Those that have not answered yet, let me know your current position.
I didn't post earlier as it would have just been noise: Yevgeni didn't have anything specific to add.

Yevegeni stands ready to enter the fortress, his kit stowed away and his staff in hand.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhat disturbed by the idea of venturing underground, Eklin draws his sword and then pulls out a torch from his backpack and sets to work lighting it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The door opens with a creaking sound, but moves smoothly enough on the hinges that it doesn't have to be forced. The musty smell is the first thing you notice as it wafts out and hits you in the face. It smells of old air, dust, and mildew... like a damp basement closed up for years and now finally opened.

It is pitch black beyond the door, and as Eklin's torch lights up, you see a long hallway in front of you. It looks to be about 10 feet (3 meters) wide and also at least 10 feet in height.

The air inside the hall is heavy and wet and the torch burns smokily, having sputtered at first, but now flaming steadily.

Approximately 10 feet down the hall, there are two passages, one running off of each side, and the hall also continues forward at least 10 or 15 feet, as far as your vision takes you.


1. Please let me know the marching order. It was:
Front

Thad Teancum Anrad

Left Eklin Nod Yevgeni Right

Blane Visya

Back


Is this still acceptable to everyone?

2. Please Check the OOC thread for a discussion about mapping - and chime in with your opinion.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The marching order still looks good to me.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya is happy with it as well - she's happy to lurk in the back so she can steal your XP.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Visya is happy with it as well - she's happy to lurk in the back so she can stab yours.


Fixed it for you!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Visya is happy with it as well - she's happy to lurk in the back so she can steal your XP.

Anrad glances back at Visya and smiles.

"Thanks for guarding the rear, Visya. You never know what might sneak up behind us!"

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"If you'd like I can take out my bow to cover the hallway, but that means one of you needs to take this torch. We should keep a watch out for the ceiling - I've heard all sorts of tales of heroes being killed by stuff that lurks above."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [32] |