Subject: Lady Blackbird: Chapter 1 - In-character thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
I'm going to use my Secret of the Lucky Break here and roll it all...

ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 5d6c[4] = (5 3 6 6 2) = 3

I didn't even think about skills etc. Are there other dice I could have added (still can?) to this... ? Like if I chose the Goblin trait to help me, then Glide, Agile, Quick, and Tumbler could all help me..? so then that would have been another 4 dice in the mix... or... 4d6c[4] = (5 5 2 4) = 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 58461. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 4d6c[4] =
  • (5 5 2 4) =
  • Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 am
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

I didn't even think about skills etc. Are there other dice I could have added (still can?) to this... ? Like if I chose the Goblin trait to help me, then Glide, Agile, Quick, and Tumbler could all help me..? so then that would have been another 4 dice in the mix... or... ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 4d6c[4] = (5 5 2 4) = 3

So, overall that would be 9 dice rolled with 6 successes on a difficulty of 4 using the Secret of Lucky Break which would return the 5 dice back to my pool. I'm sorry I'm mucking this up. Tell me what stands, and I'll take it from there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

I didn't even think about skills etc. Are there other dice I could have added (still can?) to this... ? Like if I chose the Goblin trait to help me, then Glide, Agile, Quick, and Tumbler could all help me..? so then that would have been another 4 dice in the mix... or... ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 4d6c[4] = (5 5 2 4) = 3

So, overall that would be 9 dice rolled with 6 successes on a difficulty of 4 using the Secret of Lucky Break which would return the 5 dice back to my pool. I'm sorry I'm mucking this up. Tell me what stands, and I'll take it from there...

I think that's the first roll Snargle had to make, so a little bit of rules confusion is understandable. I'll let you keep the six successes and use Lucky Break to return all five dice to your pool.

J.K. needs to roll to open the chest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is a stubborn chest! My difficulty is 4, so I need 8 dice to have an even shot...Let's see here:

I think Survivor covers this, with Tough and Scrounge in the bargain. Then I've got Naomi's assistance which brings me to 4. I'm gonna have to put in 3 from my pool and pray.

7d6c[4] = (1 5 3 4 5 4 5) = 5

Oh, man, that is awesome. I would reduce my pool to 3, but I don't have edit privs on that post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 58512. jkottler
  • 7d6c[4] =
  • (1 5 3 4 5 4 5) =
  • Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:31 pm
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, guys. Mostly questions this time instead of narrative because I want you guys to push the action. Don't be afraid to go in a new direction!

Lady Blackbird

Jonas frowns and says, "I'm afraid the cargo bay may not be safe. And I couldn't have you try to leave the ship. Come. I know where to go."

Where does he take you?

Snargle

With an amazing leap, you land on the hatch and using your mutable body, you're able to slip into The Owl.

Who is piloting it?

Cyrus

The trunk is open!

What unexpected but useful thing do you find in the trunk?

Naomi

After lending a helping hand to Cyrus, what do you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
[color=gray]

Cyrus

The trunk is open!

What unexpected but useful thing do you find in the trunk?

The locks on these trunks are designed to withstand small arms fire. They drill that into us in basic so we don't bother trying to get into them that way. But what you learn after basic is that while the locks may shrug it off, the hinges won't.

So once I've popped the hinges a couple of times, Naomi has no trouble tearing the lid off.

The bad news is that somebody's not following stowage protocols because contrary to the markings on the trunk, it's not carbines. Stowage protocols, boarding protocols, hailing protocols, address protocols, uniform protocols, docking protocols, fueling protocols, loading protocols, firing protocols - the list of protocols I don't miss from my days as an Imperial stooge goes on far beyond this. Tell you what: Grab a copy of the Imperial Compendium of Military Protocols and go through it yourself.

But the good news is that some people never change. And Petty Officer Bell is one of them. Back on The Fire of the Righteous, Skyman Bell had run the general store - a portable black market that lived beneath a layer of dummy clothes in his footlocker. Lux items like chocolate, cigarettes, and miniature bottles of booze; stuff to give to women like perfume and stockings; and of course, items featuring women - postcards, playing cards, and even a flipbook once of this girl who...never mind.

And here, on this new ship, is the same old Bell. And here, in this trunk, is Bell's general store - but he's moved up in the ranks and in the world and now there's bottles of high-class hooch from Ilysium, carefully-marked boxes of pills likely liberated from the ship's sickbay, a smaller cashbox probably full of hard currency - which any sailor would be happy to have instead of Navy scrip, and a collection of sundries ranging from lacy underthings, (same old Bell) to weapons, including a vicious looking trench knife. There's something I don't recognize, too: A flat black plastic panel about the size of a playing card but with rounded corners. I pick it up and it lights up. A movie starts playing on the surface. This girl walks into the scene and...never mind.

I grab a pistol that matches the one I've already got and tuck it into my belt. I use the trench knife to pry open the cash box and stuff my pockets with Imperial currency - hey, he owes me!

"Naomi - come get yourself a present from the box!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi tosses the splintered lid aside and cracks her knuckles as Cyrus rummages though the trunk. She doesn't care about the noise. Hell, with a bit of luck the five guards coming down the hall will come to investigate and save her the trouble.
jkottler wrote:
"Naomi - come get yourself a present from the box!"
Naomi grunts in response, then reaches into the box for the largest, heaviest-looking bottle. "This will make a dent in an Imperial skull. Now if you're finished looking at girly pictures, we're going to have company in a moment and I don't want you getting in the way."

She takes up a position by the door, ready to bash the first Imperial who walks through. She can hear them approaching, probably drawn by the sounds of Cyrus's gunfire. They'll be there any second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus tsks softly to get Naomi's attention. He holds up a fistful of cash in one hand and gestures her a little out of the way with the pistol in the other. When the squad is close enough, he tosses a small fortune in hard currency out the doorway where the glint and flutter of coin and folding money is sure to catch the guards' attention.

While they scramble to get their shares, Cyrus pulls the other pistol from his belt and steps into the hallway with both guns trained on them.

"Now if you'd all like to lie down on your bellies and be real quiet about it, that'd be just fine with me. But you'll be disappointing my friend here, seeing as how she'd like to crush all your skulls to jelly. But one of us is gonna be happy, either way. Which is more than I can say for all of you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Snargle surprises even himself by landing through the hatch just as it closes behind him. Hitting the ground, he rolls and comes to a standing position with his hands at the ready, claws bared. No one would have heard him enter the hatch over the noise of it closing.

"Really need to get that oiled" he whispers to himself.

He starts making his way to the the cockpit, stopping only once to access a compartment under the flooring, pulling out a small handheld Tesla Coil, Snargle's weapon of choice whenever he can have it. Not only is it great for screwing with wireless signals, or making one heck of a light show, it was a beaut in hand to hand. Or coil to neck.

"Taze and tie" Snargle murmers again. He checks the charge. Solid...

Something changes and the engine kicks over, Not possible. How would they know how to...? Maybe Arkam is starting the ship. But how did the first mate beat him here?

Snargle moves forward. Stepping into the light from the cockpit, he sees two figures. One standing and the other sitting in the Pilot's seat. Both have their back to Snargle. The closest is tall and thin. Something about him is familiar. Snargle can't make out the one in the chair. They are dressed like Imperial stooges, but so is Snargle. These two don't carry themselves like one of the crew, don't have the scent.
No, these two smell like Wreckers. Vultures. Nightport lowlifes who lie in wait to either collect the debris after a storm or sky battle, or hijack confiscated ships and cargo from Imperial Brigs.

Snargle had dealt with Wreckers plenty before, had good contacts on Nightport, no one you'd call a friend, but business associates, some closer than others. You needed that, especially smuggling whatever is in the brig next.

The ship's engine kicked again.

The thought of these two taking The Owl down to Nightport for parts... Snargle crouches low and starts at a run, jumping up to land feet first on the back of the tall one, hands extended, coil in hand. He snarls. He'll shock the pilot-wannabe while the tall one is down, then whip around to give Green Bean a taste of the voltage as well. Should work. They aren't expecting him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Jonas frowns and says, "I'm afraid the cargo bay may not be safe. And I couldn't have you try to leave the ship. Come. I know where to go."

Where does he take you?
A stickler for the rules, Jonas leads Natasha off towards the galley as per his orders. Inside, the half-dwarf servant she met earlier clutches a rail as the ship shakes again.

Natasha immediately sees why she has been brought here: This is the part of the ship best equipped for turbulence. A pan of hot oil sizzles on gimballed stove without a drop being spilled. The bulk of the galley seems to part of a gyroscope, allowing food to be reliably prepared even during battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus: Go ahead and make a Difficulty 3 roll for intimidating the guards. Naomi can help.

Naomi: How do you feel about Cyrus thwarting your attempt to kill some Imperial guards?

Snargle: Again, the goblin tries the impossible! Difficulty 4 for shocking the Wreckers with your Tesla Coil.

Lady Blackbird: Jonas makes motions to the kitchen staff who quickly lead you to a table. They scurry about and from out of nowhere, they are able to produce a silk tablecloth and a small vase of flowers to use as a centerpiece. The tablecloth is slightly frayed and the vase is chipped, but it is still nicer than most things on the Hand of Sorrow. They bring out fairly nice dishes - perhaps the best they could find on short notice with actual silverware. The lights are still flickering so Jonas motions for some candles at the table. "Now, the staff tells me you've eaten nothing but grapes all evening. Please tell me what you'd like and I am sure we can make it for you. I will cook it myself if I have to."

What do you tell him? Does he cross the line with his advances?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Snargle loves trying the impossible... makes for a good story later.

So let's see if I can do this right. If I choose Goblin, then I can include Goblin which also includes Agile, Quick, Tumbler, Teeth & Claws for five total dice from that trait and tags. I also have a pool of five to choose from... For a total of 10 dice... but i need to get at least 4...

So if I choose to roll 3 from my pool and 5 from my traits, I'll have even odds with 8 dice now and 2 left in my pool...

Here goes...
8d6c[4] = (3 2 4 2 3 5 3 5) = 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 59978. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 8d6c[4] =
  • (3 2 4 2 3 5 3 5) =
  • Wed Nov 9, 2011 4:51 am
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Cyrus: Go ahead and make a Difficulty 3 roll for intimidating the guards. Naomi can help.

Naomi: How do you feel about Cyrus thwarting your attempt to kill some Imperial guards?

So how about it Naomi? Throwing in with me again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No. I'm a little shy on dice, and Naomi wants a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankScenario wrote:
No. I'm a little shy on dice, and Naomi wants a fight.

I figured as much. No problem - if this dissolves into a cherry-tinted cloud of violence, that's fine with me too!

Cyrus doesn't want to kill these guys - he used to be one. He knows that with the distraction from the money, none of them can get a shot off at him before he can blaze away with both pistols. He also knows that for every dozen lunks who just want to get along till payday, there's one true-believer. One who drinks in everything the brass says, who polishes boots and buttons because he wants to. And if there's one like that in this group, it's gonna be trouble. Because once someone grows a spine, all the others will join in. So he puts on the face and the voice of his old life, hoping to save this new one.

Dice:
Start with 1 (I've forgotten this die at least once)
Ex-Imperial Soldier = 2
Tactics, Command, Soldiers, Rank = 6

Question: Can you use more than one Trait and it's tags on a single roll?

Answer: Nope!

OK. So - rolling with the 6 dice. That's a decent chance and I'm going to take it.

6d6c[4] = (2 5 6 4 2 4) = 4

Yes! Fortune smiles on Cyrus again! WOOHOO!

Also - Rishi: I think I'm supposed to have 2 XP on my character sheet, not just 1. I just scanned this thread to confirm. Did I miss something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 60041. jkottler
  • 6d6c[4] =
  • (2 5 6 4 2 4) =
  • Wed Nov 9, 2011 9:04 pm
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkottler wrote:
Question: Can you use more than one Trait and it's tags on a single roll?

No. Only one trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I missed a couple rules, so I am going to go through the thread and double-check all character sheets. Let me get some narrative first. Also, a new post is better than an edited post - since an edited post won't trigger my subscription for this thread. I hadn't realized that you rolled.

Snargle: With a graceful leap, you land on the back of the tall one and knock him out. However, the pilot is quicker than you realize and is able to jump out of the way just as the Tesla Coil comes towards him. He draws a pistol that was tucked in his back, aiming directly at you. Now what?

Cyrus: The guards put their noses to the floor and their hands behind their head. They look scared and you smell the familiar scent of Imperial urine. What do you do with the prisoners?

Naomi: Are you really going to let these Imperial scum live?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi wrote:

Naomi: Are you really going to let these Imperial scum live?
Naomi's not at all happy at Cyrus's intervention. He's seems to have confused her compliance thus far with submission, and it's time to show him that she's not his servant.

What's more, these Imperial pigs remind her of the slavers who turned her into a living weapon for their amusement–overconfident cowards, full of bluster when they think they have power and crumbling quickly in the face of real resistance. There's no chance they're getting out of this room alive.

Killing helpless Imperials isn't nearly as fun as beating them in a fight. But if there's one thing Naomi learned in the pits, it's that every advantage should be seized. She locks eyes with Cyrus, daring him to stop her as she moves over to the largest, toughest looking guard and stomps heavily on the back of his neck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Lady Blackbird: Jonas makes motions to the kitchen staff who quickly lead you to a table. They scurry about and from out of nowhere, they are able to produce a silk tablecloth and a small vase of flowers to use as a centerpiece. The tablecloth is slightly frayed and the vase is chipped, but it is still nicer than most things on the Hand of Sorrow. They bring out fairly nice dishes - perhaps the best they could find on short notice with actual silverware. The lights are still flickering so Jonas motions for some candles at the table. "Now, the staff tells me you've eaten nothing but grapes all evening. Please tell me what you'd like and I am sure we can make it for you. I will cook it myself if I have to."

What do you tell him? Does he cross the line with his advances?
"Your offer is kind, but with all this shaking about I am not terribly hungry. If you insist, I will take some squab and a little wine."

Natasha lets Jonas seat her. She feels a rising unease as he stands behind the chair, a little too close for comfort. She's getting a bit worried now -- is the man mad? Surely the ship will be shaken apart while he plays at romantic dinner parties. Half turning in her chair, she addresses him over a shoulder.

"I fear we are in immediate danger. Would you be so good as to convey my concerns to the captain?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
"What? He owed me some money!"

He flashes a grin and hopes it works. He knows it won't, but it's the best thing Snargle can think of to say.

He notices the would-be pilot staring at him strangely. Snargle is now very aware of the Imperial get-up he is in, and it never made him more uncomfortable till now. He lifts his head up to look his captor in the eye.

"Wait a minute. Logan? Logan Keel?"

Snargle flashes a grin wider than the first. Yeah, he had known a few Wreckers from his dealings on Nightport, sure, but Logan... Logan and the crew of the Owl had crossed path on a couple of occasions. Problem was... sometimes they were on the same side, and sometimes they weren't... Always more a matter of convenience. Cyrus was as apt to burn an ally as bail him out... he wracked his brain to remember the last time he had seen Logan Keel... or if Keel remembers.

The gun trained on Snargle lifts a little higher, and now he finds himself staring right down the barrel.

It is then that Snargle remembered.

"Oh Grud..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, they're Imperial stooges. Sure, they're the bad guys right now. Sure, they've taken the Owl and everyone on her hostage. But that guy was just lying there. He was doing what Cyrus had commanded - he deserved to live.

He deserved to piss himself and deny it.

He deserved to get a chance to tell the story about the time that he almost got the drop on Cyrus Vance himself.

He deserved to take his share of Bell's black market bounty and buy his wife a present with it. Or spend it all on whores. Or half and half.

He deserved another day, and as many more as he could scrabble together.

And now he will get none of what he deserves - Naomi has seen to that. He's not going to show his hand here, he can't allow her to see that he's shaken - it would shatter the veneer of command that remains to him. But this woman is not one of them. She is not his crew. She is not his responsibility. She left that behind when she killed that man. He can use her. He can try to work with her. But she's not his to protect, and he will not hesitate to sacrifice her if necessary. Line. Crossed.

Plus, she's ruined his win. This is now a very dicey situation - these guys have no reason to believe they'll live if they obey. So they'll have to be very careful now. Damn her.

He's got to address them: "See what I mean fellas? Now don't go making her any madder, OK? The rest of you can all walk away from this. Or crawl. We'll see. Just keep your faces on the floor and we won't have to break any ankles." Cyrus is already facing the men, already has both guns out and in their general direction, so the men on the floor don't realize the threat he directs to Naomi, as she stands there in his field of fire: "Now get their weapons so they can't cause us any trouble."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |