Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
96 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Lady Blackbird» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Lady Blackbird: Chapter 1 - In-character thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay. Today was a bit of a personal crisis for someone close to me. I even took the day off work.

A lot of close calls on keys right now. If you really think you deserve a key (i.e. you were consciously trying to hit one), let me know. I may have missed something.

Also, I updated the second post. Please double-check it.


KEYS

Snargle: Key of Conscience for letting the guard live.

Kale: Key of Greed for going through his pockets.

IN THE HOLD

All of you are out of shackles with the door open. There are no guards in sight other than the one tied up. The ship shakes again. This time it's a little harder.

All:
What is down the hallway?

What is causing the ship to shake?

Do you stay together or split up?

Do any of you stay in the cell?

LADY BLACKBIRD

You stumble a little as the ship shakes a bit harder. You notice a subtle clicking noise coming from the direction of the door, followed by a slight creak. The door is now ajar.

Do you open the door? What do you see in the hall?

Is there another reason you were separated from the crew of The Owl?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Steadying himself, Snargle looks at the walls.

"We almost made Haven when we got picked up by this bucket. Unless we've got a rogue Sky Squid, it's more likely that the Trade Union or a Rogue Pirate with cahones bigger than Arkam has sent a little reminder to the Empire that this quadrant isn't under Imperial control... yet."

Snargle presses on the door of the brig and steps through.

"Boss, I'm all for getting to the Owl and getting out of the belly of this bucket of rust. Shall I go warm up the engines?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yeah, I'm all for getting out with the Owl, but we have a contract to honor. We should find Lady Blackbird first. And we must prevent the Hand of Sorrow from pursuing us. I think we should split teams."

Kale takes another XP from the key hit. He only spent 1 pool die, so he has 6 left.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Do you open the door? What do you see in the hall?
Lady Blackbird quietly pushes the door open just enough to peer out. In the hallway outside, worried crewmen are moving purposefully about. They aren't panicking yet, but they're not far off. To the left she can see the back of the guard posted next to the cabin door. Across the hall is the door to the captain's cabin.

Rishi wrote:
Is there another reason you were separated from the crew of The Owl?
The Lady has been expecting a visit from Captain Hollas. She's sure the captain will pressure her to speak against the crew of The Owl in exchange for her own release.

Straightening her outfit, she waits for the next big shake.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I am going to look for her." Says Naomi, rubbing the shackle-sores on her wrists.

She glances at Snargle and Kale. "Your tricks will come in handy."

Then with a final look towards Cyrus. "And you certainly owe her."

Without waiting to for a response from any of them she moves to take the lead. Moving past empty cells she is always alert, her keen senses ready for any signs of danger, her fists are coiled weapons. Naomi swears to herself that if they've touched a hair on her lady's head she'll break the neck of every man in here.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm familiar with Imperial war ships - says so on my sheet - So:

Cyrus points. "Down this corridor is the main passageway running up and down the center of the ship. Foreward along that passageway are ladders up to the higher decks, and down into the bowels of the ship. Aft are ladders up, but not down - it gets too narrow below. The Owl is in one of those bowels. Pardon my poetical nature. Aft are access hatches, too, that'll let someone with the right key get in and just play merry hell with the ship's wiring."

He had his crew here, he had The Owl just a few decks down. He had this woman who could break steel cuffs but couldn't seem to answer a question straight. He should head downbelow with his people and get off of this cruiser. They ought to be heading forward to the ladders right now. Minor noble, though? That sounded good. A woman of intelligence and breeding, but not so high and mighty that she's never met her betters. Plus, he thought, she's like to have been raised riding horses, but only for pleasure. Strong thighs. And soft skin. He couldn't leave without her.

"Kale - We have to make sure that the wireless. Stays. Down. Hollas isn't apt to be understanding about our vapor reclamation coils or our...upgraded turret. So I want you to get at those access panels and play some of that hell I was talking about."
Cyrus looked at the key ring the guard had for the right kind of key. No luck, and no surprise there. Engineer types didn't let their precious keys out of their sight excepting on direct orders and he couldn't imagine the circumstances that would drive Seraphina Hollas to say the words, "Give that guard an engineering key."
"You'll need to find your own way into the panels, though."

"Snargle - our bird's fettered in the downbelow and we need her jesses off if we want to be away from here in a timely fashion. So yes, I want her engines warmed up and ready to fly. You're doing a pretty good impression of an Imperial stooge right now, so you might just walk right up her gangplank in that getup. If you can't, get away. We need you on the stick, not on a slab."

He turns to Naomi, "And we can't leave without Ms. Syri. Or is it Lady Syri? No matter. Because we took a contract for delivery, and I'll be damned if we'll walk away from that."
The crew of The Owl had in fact, walked, flat out run, and even, in one particularly memorable instance, crawled away from a contract for delivery. But Cyrus hoped his crew wouldn't bring that up in front of the passenger. It wouldn't look good on any of them.
"So she and I will go fetch Syri and we'll all regroup at The Owl."

He turns the key in the cell door, locking the unfortunate guard inside.

"I'm thinking what's shaking us up so much is a storm. If it was a squid, or if it was pirates, there'd be guns. Which I'm not hearing. Or feeling. Storm's good for us, bad for them - hides us when we get off of this thing. Do your jobs and we'll all get be on Haven soon enough."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Snargle looks from Cyrus to Naomi as the Captain talks. Her back is stiff and stride powerful as she walks quickly away from them driven with a purpose. When Cyrus finishes giving orders, Snargle murmers, "I don’t think she was listening, Boss. What kind of mess have we gotten ourselves into, anyway?"

Nodding to the captain, "I hope you’re right about the storm. That’s just the kind of fun I was hoping for today. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have my own lady to save. I swear, if they touched her thermohdryocoupler and steam pump throttle, I’m gonna..."

Just the thought of those Imperials climbing through the owl, touching her, made the goblin’s blood boil a little. She may have her rusty spots and leaky points, but she was a fine made ship with a strong structure and plenty of horsepower. Humble, sure, but built for the pleasure of the sky. Not built to be in the hands of the empire, looking in her turret!

With a snarl and a snap of the teeth, Snargle leaps up the hallway to the door into the corridor. He passes Naomi, jumping onto the wall to her right and leaping back off. Landing on hands and knees in front of the door, he stands, and peers through. Two crewman move hurredly towards aft, their backs quickly disappearing down the corridor. No one foreward that he can see. Snargle pulls the cap over his forehead and slips through the door, heading foreward to the ladders leading down.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick poll.

Poll
What is causing the ship to shake?
Sky squid
Pirates
A storm
Something else
      4 answers
Poll created by Rishi


I want whatever is happening with the ship to start having a more tangible effect on the narrative. Also, Snargle, I gave you an XP for hitting your key earlier. If you want something else, say so.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delays. I've been going through a weird and stressful time in my life. Things have settled a bit now. I would love to carry on. I can definitely pick up the pace now.

Outside, the storm continues to rage. The ship shakes once again. An announcement from Captain Hollas comes over the loudspeaker, "Attention crew. The storm outside has forced us to stay where we are. If things get worse, we may be forced to make an emergency landing on Haven. We will need everyone with engineering expertise to work on keeping the ship in the sky. Everyone else stay at your posts and await further instructions."

Naomi:

You hit the Key of the Guardian.

You make your way towards the main passageway. You're already halfway down the hallway when you notice Cyrus trying to bark more orders at you. You also notice the goblin scampering ahead of you and down a ladder. There are crew members in the hallway, but they don't immediately notice you.

Are you trying to sneak through the ship or taking a more direct approach?

Do any guards notice you?


Snargle:

You are able to effortlessly pop through the corridors and access tunnels. It's not long before you peer through a ventilation hatch in the cargo hold. The Owl! And there don't seem to be any guards at the moment - probably busy conducting repairs elsewhere. Of course, there is a thirty-foot drop into the cargo hold.

How do you get down?

Who is hiding in the ship?


Cyrus:

By the time you're done with your little speech, you've noticed that Natasha's bodyguard is already walking away.

Do you follow Naomi?

Does anyone notice you running to catch her?


Kale:

The captain has asked you to make sure the Wireless stays down.

Where do you go to find an access panel?

Do you have any tools that might be helpful?


Lady Blackbird:

As the ship shakes again, you momentarily drop to the floor. As you get up, you find a dashing gentleman dressed as an Imperial officer standing over you. He has a brightly colored sash tied around his waist as well as golden-hooped earrings. This gentleman, unlike most Imperial Officers, might actually have a personality.

He bows and waits for your indication before returning to a standing position, as is fitting for a woman of your birth. He says, "My lady, my name is Jonas Cross. I apologize for entering your room without knocking, but it seems the turmoil that is going through the ship has caused your door to swing open. The Captain suggests that you might be safer on the bridge and has sent me to accompany you." He offers his hand.

Do you find Jonas handsome?

What do you say to Jonas?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:

Cyrus:

By the time you're done with your little speech, you've noticed that Natasha's bodyguard is already walking away.

Do you follow Naomi?

Does anyone notice you running to catch her?

I'm used to Naomi not paying attention to me. I don't trust her - she doesn't belong to The Owl like we do, she doesn't understand what it is to trust each other with your lives. But she's headed off towards where the Lady is, and not only did I promise her we'd get the Lady free, I need to find her, to make sure she's alive and well.

My orders given, my crew undertaking their tasks, I don't just run to catch her, I run past her, my stolen gun at the ready. She doesn't know her way around this boat like I do, she doesn't know the million subtle rhythms of a military ship. So I have to go in front.

Besides, I'll be damned if someone else will be the first rescuer through the Lady's door. Can't you just imagine how good I'll look? She's gotta love that.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Watching the Owl from his perch, Snargle is thrilled to find it seemingly unguarded. But seemingly and reality are often estranged cousins.

Reaching to the side of his uniform, or at least his uniform now, he pops off a button and throws it hard against a metal canister on the other side of the room, making a loud ping sound.

He waits. If someone should come out of the Owl or enter the room, he will leap from his perch and glide down, tackling them with teeth and claws bared. Of course, all of that is more for the fear it evokes than the actual evisceration that may be imagined by those on the recieving end of a gliding goblin's descent.

He pings another button. If no one arrives in 2 minutes, he's jumping without the benefit of the target.

Looking at the Owl, Snargle winks... then waits.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi wrote:
Naomi:

You hit the Key of the Guardian.

You make your way towards the main passageway. You're already halfway down the hallway when you notice Cyrus trying to bark more orders at you. You also notice the goblin scampering ahead of you and down a ladder. There are crew members in the hallway, but they don't immediately notice you.

Are you trying to sneak through the ship or taking a more direct approach?

Do any guards notice you?
Naomi takes 1 XP from the key hit.

Naomi growls slightly as Cyrus charges ahead, but lets him pass; once the Lady is safe and everyone's away from these Imperial pigs there will be time for a reckoning. But he better be able to handle himself, because she plans to get bloody getting to her mistress. There's not enough time to sneak around, and in any case the chance to end a few Imperial lives is not to be passed up.

That said, the crewmen in the hall don't look like they'd be worth stopping for. They're not directly in her way, so Naomi breaks into a sprint and dashes down the hall, getting away from them before they realize anything is amiss.

Hopefully I've done this right.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Do you find Jonas handsome?

What do you say to Jonas?
The habits of nobility die hard, so Natasha accepts the officer's hand and invitation. He is rakishly handsome and thankfully lacking the stuffiness of the usual navy man. Still, she only has eyes for Uriah Flint.

Jonas leads her out into the shaking hallway and off in what may or may not be the direction of the bridge...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just go ahead and post without waiting for Kale. Hopefully he'll jump in soon. I'll send another message to Jose if I don't hear from him in a day or two.

Keys hit:

Lady Blackbird: Key of the Paragon (I think if we put all your posts together, I think you definitely deserve this.)

Cyrus: Key of Hidden Longing



Cyrus and Naomi

You make your way through hallways, quickly dodging guards and patrols. There is enough chaos in the ship due to the storm. The power in the ship is erratic, and certain hallways are not even lit. The darkness is your friend, though.

Eventually, however, your luck runs out. You notice a patrol coming from two corridors away. It has about five guards. You think you'll be able to duck into an elevator but you frantically press the button, which doesn't understand your urgency. Curses! The power must be out. There is a door that is slightly ajar to your right. The patrol is about to round the corner.

Who is leading the way?

Even if you don't enter the room, we need to know: What is in the room?

What do you do?



Snargle

You silently wait for someone to emerge from the ship, but hear a telltale buzz from The Owl's engines. Someone is trying to start the ship! The ship's hatch slowly starts to close.

How long does it take for the ship to power up?

Is it a good idea for you to be in here when the cargo bay doors open?

Do you know another way into the ship?



Lady Blackbird

Jonas leads you to the elevator and calmly presses the button. He waits for several minutes when nothing happens. He presses the button again, and waits a few more minutes. He turns to you and says, "Forgive me, my lady, but the elevator appears to be broken. I would not dishonor you by making you crawl through access tunnels. There is a kitchen nearby. I know the chef and can have him make something that is fitting for someone of your station. Would you care to join me for a meal? I'm sure what they brought you was not appetizing."

He extends his hand.

Does the elevator start working again?

What else happens when the electricity goes out?

Do you go with him?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Hearing the hum of the engine, Snargle leaps into action, literally. He wasn’t worried about the engines. The last repair had resulted in a three step startup requiring a second switch to be thrown for the solar wind turbine to begin revolving counter clockwise to the pneumatics and back again. The result was a vaccum that allowed the engines to stay fired up. Once airborne and moving, it was an unnecessary step, possibly even dangerous. No one knew about it but the crew of the Owl. So the engine buzz didn’t unnerve Snargle. That someone wanted her started and had her hands on the wheel, now that was enough to create action.

Jumping from his perch 30 feet up, he makes his new target the closing hatch. Upon impact he would be traveling 60 feet per second, or at least 30 miles per hour. The jump would take about 1 and a half seconds. Gliding would slow that to about 6.2 seconds but he would still hit that hatch at 7 miles per hour... not a problem. He was used to flying through the air at high velocity. The hydraulics on the hatch was on a 12 second timer. It had been ten seconds but after a close call just outside Nightport, Captain had asked for it to be just a hair longer. It may have taken Snargle 2 to 3 seconds to realize the hatch was closing, six to glide down. That left 4 more to get his hairy tail through the hatch... and who was he kidding, the last two seconds would be too tight to squeeze through. That left two seconds from hitting the hatch, falling through it, rolling and coming to his feet. Doable. What Snargle didn't want was to find himself half in a hydraulic clamp frantically pushing the keypad outside the hatch to be released. Besides the pain, the module at the cockpit would announce a breach in bright yellow blinkies. There were other options to get in, like through the cargo hold release, under the right side, but he wanted to get inside the owl without anyone knowing. Whoever was inside was going to have one hell of a peevish goblin on their hands.

And who was inside? Not one of those Imperial buggers. They should all be at their posts doing something extra Imperial for Hollas at this point. No, this is a different kind of problem. Probably one, maybe two, imperial stowaways looking for an easy out. Hell, Snargle understood that. Just not with his ship. Not... his... ship...

With that thought, Snargle hit the hatch just as the power seemed to go out.

Gutsy? need a roll?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi wrote:
Cyrus and Naomi
Who is leading the way?

Even if you don't enter the room, we need to know: What is in the room?

What do you do?
Naomi lets Cyrus lead her through the ship's halls; his knowledge is useful, even if he treats his paying passengers as if they were members of his crew. But once they're trapped by some nearby guards, Naomi springs into action; she crouches by the corner ready to strike the first guard to come around. It's time to pay back some of these Imperial slime for their many grievous offenses.

I'll leave what's in the room up to Cyrus.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Avatar
mbmbmb
"I do not care to eat in the kitchen with the staff, and now hardly seems the time with the ship shaking about. Perhaps it would be prudent to prepare a boat in the cargo bay before the situation deteriorates further."

The elevator remains stubbornly unresponsive. The ship shudders again and the lights go out. After a pause red emergency lights come on overhead, while lines of tiny white lights flicker on along the floor.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A patrol of five? Damn straight I dive into the room! I'm worth any two Imperials, but not four!

It's a storage room - a tight squeeze between lockers and chests that are battened to the walls and floor. Just barely enough room to qualify as a room. It could be a jackpot, though, tools, or dare I hope for it...weapons!

There's one chest that looks particularly promising. It's got the markings that mean carbines for the ship's crew.

I don't have the key, but I have a pistol...and Naomi. So I'm getting in one way or another...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snargle: Key of the Daredevil

Also, Cyrus and Lady Blackbird need to take benefits from the last round of keys hit.

Okay, some rolls are in order. Unfortunately, since you're all separated, not a lot of helping this time around.


Snargle: Getting into that hatch sounds pretty hard. Difficulty 4.

Lady Blackbird: Jonas is taken with you, but he'll still need some convincing and it does go against his direct orders. Difficulty 3.

Cyrus: My, that's a stubborn chest! Difficulty 4. Naomi may help with this roll.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:

Also, Cyrus and Lady Blackbird need to take benefits from the last round of keys hit.
Cyrus: My, that's a stubborn chest! Difficulty 4. Naomi may help with this roll.

I'll take the XP. Naomi - are you helping me?


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
I'll take xp as well. Help me remember where to find my dice pool amount? I'm thinking about using my secret of Lucky Break
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
I'll take xp as well. Help me remember where to find my dice pool amount? I'm thinking about using my secret of Lucky Break

The dice pools are on the first page of this thread in the second post. You have five dice right now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I can spare a die to help Cyrus. I'm afraid I'm running a bit short so I don't want to risk too many on any one thing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
I'm going to use my Secret of the Lucky Break here and roll it all...

5d6c[4] = (5 3 6 6 2) = 3
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 58456. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 5d6c[4] =
  • (5 3 6 6 2) =
  • 3
  • Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:04 am
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Also, Cyrus and Lady Blackbird need to take benefits from the last round of keys hit.
XP for me, thanks.

Rishi wrote:
Lady Blackbird: Jonas is taken with you, but he'll still need some convincing and it does go against his direct orders. Difficulty 3.
Natasha turns on the charm.

"Please, Mr Cross. It would be the wisest place to wait out whatever this is, and I would be perfectly safe with you as my escort."

She smiles and gestures down the hallway.

Charm + Charisma + Presence + 4 pool dice 7d6c[4] = (1 2 6 5 1 1 2) = 2 successes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 58460. sbszine
  • 7d6c[4] =
  • (1 2 6 5 1 1 2) =
  • 2
  • Charm + Charisma + Presence + 4 pool dice
  • Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:11 am
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |