Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
96 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Lady Blackbird» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Lady Blackbird: Chapter 1 - In-character thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ok, better to lock pick the shackles, then, instead of breaking them down."

OOC: do I need to roll the dice?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, going to ask for some rolls later today... trying to get something done at work at the moment.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First, some keys that I feel that were hit:

Cyrus: Key of the Commander (I think Key of Hidden Longing was also possible, but am only giving you one key for now.)

Kale: Key of Fraternity

Let me know what benefits you'd like from them.

Some rolls:

Naomi: To break the chains. Difficulty 2.

Kale: To unlock the shackles. Difficulty 2.

Cyrus: To get out of the cell and sneak past the guard. Difficulty 3.

More narrative and questions based on the results of the rolls.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:

Cyrus: Key of the Commander (I think Key of Hidden Longing was also possible, but am only giving you one key for now.)

Cyrus: To get out of the cell and sneak past the guard. Difficulty 3.

Key: Woohoo! That's JUST what I was hoping for! I think I'll take the XP, please.

Roll: Actually, I was hoping to use my Secret of Warpblood to teleport next to the guard, not sneak past him. That's why I asked about "sessions." Then take him out with as little harm as possible. That's why I asked Kale for something hurtful and quiet. I was hoping to put him out and then take his stuff - (keys?) and restrain him in the hall or stuff him in the cell. Now with Naomi's broken cuffs, the plan may change to: 'port to the hall away from the guard, have the crew draw his attention, and take him from behind when he goes to the cell door. Want me to propose that IC or just tell you what I have to roll with for the roll you gave?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jkottler wrote:

Key: Woohoo! That's JUST what I was hoping for! I think I'll take the XP, please.

Roll: Actually, I was hoping to use my Secret of Warpblood to teleport next to the guard, not sneak past him. That's why I asked about "sessions." Then take him out with as little harm as possible. That's why I asked Kale for something hurtful and quiet. I was hoping to put him out and then take his stuff - (keys?) and restrain him in the hall or stuff him in the cell. Now with Naomi's broken cuffs, the plan may change to: 'port to the hall away from the guard, have the crew draw his attention, and take him from behind when he goes to the cell door. Want me to propose that IC or just tell you what I have to roll with for the roll you gave?

Go ahead and propose it in-character, but I think I'll still want a difficulty 3 roll to take out the guard without his noticing and without him attracting too much attention. It'll also change what traits you use. If the crew is going to help distract him, you may ask for help.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus glares at Naomi. First of all, what was she thinking? Did she want to get them all killed? Second - how did she jsut do that? No time to worry about it now, a leader has to look like everything was his idea.

"Change of plans. When you're all out of irons, I'm gonna blink out of here to the hallway as far from the guard as I can get. You all are gonna make a ruckus and get him over here to shut you up. Then I'm gonna hit him from behind. With luck, he'll have keys and then that'll put us out of the cell and him in it."

Cyrus looks dead at Naomi. "Can I count on all of you for your cooperation?"

I'm asking for help, here.

My pool is:

1 - starting die
2 - smuggler
3 - sneak
4 - hide
5 - camouflage

I'd like to count deception too, but if I was GMing this game, I wouldn't let me, so I won't ask...

Do I declare my pool dice before or after I find out about help? I need 6 just to have an even chance here, guys.


"And gimme back my boots!"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I can cause a ruckus." Naomi growls.

Give a dice of help from my pool (now 6) to Cyrus.

For my own test.
1 - Starting
2 - Pit Fighter
3 - Living Wepaon
4 - Hard
5 - Dice from my pool (now 5)

That sound ok?
I also have the Secret of Destruction, but I don't really understand the rules for the secrets. Where do they come in?





2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can decide on what you're using from your dice pool after you get help.

As for the Secret of Destruction, you can use it any time. I just think it's not appropriate in this situation since your hands are shackled. If they are free, look out!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
"Now we're talking! I'd be glad to help, of course. Let's see, how about distraction 7A? Epilepsy from Free World Fever? Frothing victim, needing meds, "

Lengthening his form to a tall lanky brute, Snargle hands Cyrus his shoes and watches him put them on. He waits for Arkam to try to free himself before turning to the "lady' and bowing.

"Let's make a ruckus, shall we?? Mind doing some shuddering. Maybe some shuddering... A little frothing at the mouth I bet you're good at that."

He turns to Cyrus and gives a smile. "Bout time we took some action."

A moment passes and the smile turns to a frown.

"HEY! HEY!! We need HELP in HERE! HELP! This lady needs her meds!!!"

Time for rolls, right?

I can give one to Cyrus.

Then, do I need to roll for the distraction? I have:

Crafty
Sneaky
Distractions
Bluff

That's got to give me something helpful Should I need to be using something from my pool as well??"

edit: fixed color
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

That's got to give me something helpful Do I need to be using something from my pool as well??"

You may risk dice from your pool. The choice is yours. If you succeed, you lose the dice from your pool. If you fail, you get the dice back plus another die.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Rishi wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

That's got to give me something helpful Do I need to be using something from my pool as well??"

You may risk dice from your pool. The choice is yours. If you succeed, you lose the dice from your pool. If you fail, you get the dice back plus another die.

What's my difficulty or is this all part of Cyrus's task?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Rishi wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

That's got to give me something helpful Do I need to be using something from my pool as well??"

You may risk dice from your pool. The choice is yours. If you succeed, you lose the dice from your pool. If you fail, you get the dice back plus another die.

What's my difficulty or is this all part of Cyrus's task?


Sorry, was confused what character you were playing for a second. Actually, you don't make a roll or get to add any traits. But you can give dice in your pool to Cyrus to help him succeed if you wish.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
I'll give him two dice. If I use my secret of Lucky Break, do I go back to seven dice or just what I use?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only use the Secret of the Lucky Break on a roll that YOU make. And you'd only get the dice back that you risked.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
I really don't get any bonus for my distraction skill? I guess not if this is Cyrus' task and i'm just helping. Too bad. Ok, One TWO dice to Cyrus then...

Edited after some rethinking


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi topples forwards off the bunk, her forehead impacting with the stone floor. She begins to thrash, lashing out at any sharp edge. She bites into her tongue until she tastes blood dribbling from her mouth. Soon she is covered in cuts.

Such pain barely hurts her anymore.

All the time she still strains against the shackles... if she can just break through one link.

Ok so there's the distraction, a dice to Cyrus. Meanwhile I'll roll to break the chains. I'll use the 5 dice I listed above.

1d6 = (2) = 2,1d6 = (3) = 3,1d6 = (5) = 5,1d6 = (5) = 5,1d6 = (2) = 2

EDIT: Passed.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 51985. Scrowe
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 am
  • [+]
  • 51986. Scrowe
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 am
  • [+]
  • 51987. Scrowe
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 am
  • [+]
  • 51988. Scrowe
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 am
  • [+]
  • 51989. Scrowe
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 am
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale tries to lock pick the shackles, "Oh dear, you couldn't be more noisy, could you? I'm trying to concentrate here...!", he whispers to himself.

I'll take the XP from the key hit.

For the roll:

- Starting die
- Burglar
- Locks
- 1 die from pool (6 left)

lock pick 1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6 = (4) + (3) + (6) + (4) = 17

Edit: click the number to see the individual dice (success)


Kale hears the click with satisfaction. He frees himself from the shackles and rubs his wrists.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 52155. Jose-san
  • 1d6+1d6+1d6+1d6 =
  • (4) + (3) + (6) + (4) =
  • 17
  • lock pick
  • Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:14 am
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Avatar
mbmbmb
(By the way you can roll xd6c[4] to get successes from x dice... the die roller supports Lady Blackbird already.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Cy! I almost forgot", Kale tosses his pocket knife to Cyrus, "just in case... you know...".

Ok, sbszine
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody, that's a ton of dice!

My pool is:

1 - starting die
2 - smuggler
3 - sneak
4 - hide
5 - camouflage
6,7,8,9 - help from everybody
10 - from my pool

10d6c[4] = (4 5 5 6 2 4 5 5 6 6) = 9
EDIT: Found success, added narration based on 9/10 success ratio!
Massive success overkill, everybody - that's awesome - thanks so much for the dice!


As his cellmates start in with the distractions, Cyrus stands to one side of the cell door, looking down the hallway at an oblique angle, peering down as far as he can. He concentrates, blocking out the absolutely excellent distraction they are causing in here, and feels the strange sensation of the Warpblood run through him. It is as if he is a colorful slick of oil on the surface of some water. The world folds around him, the loci correspond for just an instant, and Cyrus goes from here to there without ever being anywhere between. He is nearly pressed against the distant wall, in the same position as he was pressed against the cell wall near the door.

The guard storms over to the cell door, angry at having his goldbricking interrupted by his duty to tend to his prisoners. Cyrus thumbs the lock blade of Kale's pocket knife open just, as Kale said, in case. But as he turns from the wall, he sees that the guard the guard is oblivious to his presence, concentrating instead on the bloody foam coming from Naomi's mouth. His weapon is drawn in his left hand and his right is fumbling at his belt for his keys. Trying to take in the chaos in the cell and impose order, he bellows, "Everybody standing get back against the wall, backs to the room. Anybody makes trouble and I pro-"

Cyrus's punch lands on the guard's neck. The artery he squashed so thoughtlessly compresses, sending a momentary high-pressure pulse of blood up to the guard's brain. The guard's physological stasis mechanisms, shocked by the sudden overpressure, immediately demand that every blood vessel in the body dialate to relieve it. When the fist is removed, there is no pressure left to drive blood to the brain. Which is why the guard stopped talking and then fell down into the Captain's arms. No point in hurting Hollas' people unnecessarily. Which is why Cyrus hadn't just stabbed him him the kidney, which also tends to lower the blood pressure to the brain.

He lowers the guard to the hallway deck and relieves him of his keys. He opens the cell door and everyone drags the guard in. Cyrus picks up the guard's gun from the hallway and hefts it. Nice. Not standard issue. Nice. He makes a short whistle as he slaps the back of the blade against the back of his right thigh. The blade snaps closed and with the same motion, he tosses the knife, spinning, back to Kale; who snatches it out of the air without so much as a glance.

Cyrus pulls the door nearly, but not completely, shut and sits on the bunk nearest the door. He has his back to the wall, one foot on the floor, the other on the bunk so he can stand in a moment if necessary, but looks the very model of insouciance imprisoned. The gun is in his right hand, tucked between his left elbow and his ribs, watching the hallway where Hollas and Bell had disappeared. "Search him, but make it quick. Get anything you think is good and then secure him to a bunk. Use the irons you took off of me. Gag him, too." The hallway is empty so he risks a quick glance around the room. "Now that's the spirit of cooperation I was hoping to see, Ms. Bishop." His eyes go back to the hallway. "In that same spirit, maybe you'd like to tell us something...why isn't Ms. Syri in the cell with us? I have the feeling you might know."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 52538. jkottler
  • 10d6c[4] =
  • (4 5 5 6 2 4 5 5 6 6) =
  • 9
  • Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:59 pm
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Snargle carries the guard to the bunk with Arkam's help. Just to be sure, he checks the guard's pulse and breathing. Seems steady, just a small trauma.

"That is going to be one hell of a headache, Boss. Better than a kidney shot though. Would've ruined his shirt!"

Snargle quickly and adeptly removes the latches on the guards own clothing and takes each item off, tossing it to Arkam to go through the pockets. Removing every stitch but the skivvies.

He looks over at Cyrus. "What!? I'm going to need a new look. I've stretched out this pair of pants too much."

Snargle assesses the guard's body type before shifting his own shape to fit a similar form. He quickly slips on the guards clothing as Arkam returns each piece.

Lastly, he rolls up his own discarded shirt as Cyrus watches impatiently. The pilot places it under the head of the guard. As Arkam snaps the shackles in place on the guard, Snargle covers the almost naked captor with the blanket.

"You want to put your shoes on him, Boss? He might make a better you, after all!" He flashes a smile as he slips on the last touch of Imperial garb, the tight grey cap.

"Like me now?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi picks her self up, wiping blood from her mouth. She shrugs at Cyrus' questioning. "Maybe they thought she knew more than us, or was more likely to tell them. And perhaps even a minor noble is too good to be held in cells with scum like you."

Her shackles broken, she rips them from her hands, flexing at the feeling of freedom. She had lived half her life in chains, and no man could ever get used to that.

"All I know is that you'd better help me find her and rescue her. You owe us that much."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry - busy weekend and work is insane today. Will give you some narrative and more questions later tonight or early tomorrow.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Rolling up his old socks, Snargle gags the unconscious guard.

"That should keep him out for a while"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale gives the guard a sympathetic look. "I think I'll leave this chewing gum to him, he'll need it more than me. Look, a picture of his wife and daughter, I reckon, I'll leave that, too. And a small silver key, seems like a locker key, I think I'll keep it".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |