Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Blackbird Blackbird is on the run from an arranged marriage to Count Carlowe. She hired a smuggler skyship, The Owl, to take her from herpalace on the Imperial world of Ilysium to the far reaches of the Remnants, so she could be with her once secret lover, the pirate king Uriah Flint.

However, just before reaching the halfway point of Haven, The Owl was pursued and captured by the Imperial cruiser Hand of Sorrow, under charges of flying a false flag.

Even now Lady Blackbird, her bodyguard, and the crew of The Owl are detained in the brig, while the commander of the cruiser, Captain Hollas, runs the smuggler ship’s registry over the wireless. It’s only a matter of time before they discover the outstanding warrants and learn that The Owl is owned by none other than the infamous outcast Cyrus Vance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Character status

Lady Blackbird

Conditions: None
Dice pool: 3
Traits acquired: None
Keys bought off: None
New secrets: None
XP: 1

Naomi Bishop

Dice pool: 4
XP: 2

Cyrus Vance

Dice pool: 3
XP: 1

Kale Arkam

Dice pool: 6

Snargle

Dice pool: 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions to start us off:

Everyone (or whoever wants to answer them):

What does your cell look like? Are you shackled?
Have you encountered Captain Hollas before?
Is your cell guarded?

Lady Blackbird: Who is Natasha Syri? What do others know?

Naomi Bishop: Can you smash through the walls? Is it a good idea?

Cyrus Vance: What will they find when they run your ship's registry through the wireless?

Kale Arkam: You always have a few key items with you. What have you managed to conceal?

Snargle: Do you look like yourself right now? What size and shape have you adopted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Questions to start us off:

Are you shackled?

Cyrus Vance: What will they find when they run your ship's registry through the wireless?

Cyrus looks down at his shackles and leg irons and grinds his teeth. That bitch Hollas - he should have made a run for it. Should have let them blast The Owl right out of the blue instead of falling into her hands. If he'd known she was captain of the Hand of Sorrow, he might have.

Before there was Captain Vance, dashing free trader and Imperial outcast, there was Corporal Cyrus Vance, of the First Imperial Marines. And before there was Captain Hollas, coldhearted bitch and Imperial sock puppet, there was Midshipman Seraphina Hollas of the Imperial Navy; hot-blooded, sharp-tongued, and every bit the eager officer-to-be. He'd known it couldn't last between them - he wouldn't be berthed on her boat forever. But it didn't have to end the way it had; it could have just gone cold between them, like normal people, when things end between them, could have just petered out into pretending not to see each other when they chanced to be in the same dockside bar.

Now, here he was, back in her power, back in her ship, back in chains. And when they ran The Owl through the wireless, they were going to find those serial numbers he'd fudged. Then they'd take a closer look at the parts manifest and start asking questions about where he'd bought that "salvage", and since they were curious, they'd take a look at the turret - and find that it wasn't, in fact, choked for defensive fire, and then it would be charges of piracy and another trial and no man is due two miraculous escapes, so it would be the gallows, this time, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:

What does your cell look like? Are you shackled?

Brown rusted walls, a drain in the sloping floor clogged red, cots so old they barely support the insects that crawl within them, a bare light from the other side of the bars occasionally flickering. Enough to drive a man to madness and despair.

Not Naomi. She's been in these places before, worse than this even, in the slave pits of Galile. She knows the trick to keeping sane is to concentrate on one thing. Escape. It's important to be tough in these situations, but it's more important to be cunning.

Could she break the shackles from his wrists? Definitely. The captain of the Hand of Sorrow seems not to know his precious Imperium modified Naomi, made her strong. But what would that gain right now? A visit from a guard with a shock prod.

Could she break through the walls? She sizes them up... reinforced ferracrete most likely. It's going to hurt like the hells but Naomi could do it. But right now? Now is not the time. Now is the time to watch and wait - and when the time is right she's going to break that guard's neck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Lady Blackbird: Who is Natasha Syri? What do others know?
Lady Blackbird is travelling incognito, disguised as Natasha Syri, a minor noble of Ilysium. Posing as Natasha, Lady Blackbird has chartered The Owl to transport her to The Remnants, ostensibly to buy off the pirates and assure the safety of house Syri's shipping between Haven and Ilysium. Only Cyrus Vance is brave or foolish enough to take on such a mission.

Naomi Bishop is aware of Lady Blackbird's true identity and mission, but the crew of The Owl seem to have been convinced by her cover story. They are not accustomed to asking too many questions, in any case.

Rishi wrote:
What does your cell look like? Are you shackled? Is your cell guarded?
As a noble, Natsha Syri is confined to a well-appointed crew cabin. The door is locked and guarded but she is not shackled. Whatever her faults, Captain Hollas is a Navy woman and knows how to treat a lady of breeding.

Rishi wrote:
Have you encountered Captain Hollas before?
In her youth Captain Hollas served under the late Admiral Blackbird, Lady Blackbird's grandfather. She has dined with the family at functions when Lady Blackbird was a teenager, but hasn't seen her since. She has not recognised Lady Blackbird yet -- but who knows what might jog her memory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Snargle stares at his hands. Tanned brown like a surface ore miner from the free worlds, rough and raw. When the Imperials ended the party and brought their ship into the hull, he had done what he knew best to do. He shifted his form once again into a "lesser", chose a form that the captors would underestimate. His short squat frame and wide brow would tell them he was of less intelligence, of course. Possibly stronger than most, but not to worry about high end security on this one.

Snargle stifles a slight laugh as allows his arms and legs to lengthen slightly, thinning his thick wrists and ankles, loosening the shackles tight hold. This wasn't the first Imperial brig he had been held in, and he was sure, it wouldn't be his last. He had a way of getting a lucky break when he needed one.

Looking around the brown cell, he watches Naomi brood under her chains. Her self control was evident especially against the Captain's high level of stress, evident from the intense teeth grinding a Exanthian Moushith could hear from 50 meters away.

The Lady wasn't present. What was her name? Natasha? Worth remembering if this turns out worse that he thought it would and his luck finally ran out.

Arkam was here too, in the dark corner, but Snargle can't see if he is conscious or not. Stupid... reckless...

"Ok, Boss, I'll bite," Snargle turns to Cyrus showing a slight toothy grin, "What's the plan? Bluff our way out, Fight to the death, or scare them with our poor dental plan?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
"And before you ask, no there aren't any guards outside this cell, but there is one down the hall, and two more in the hull where The Owl is being held. That includes the one that gave Arkam the 'Imperial Welcome'. At least that's what I counted on the way in... But that number is going to change soon, I'd bet, right Boss?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every bit of Kale ached. "Oh dear, when am I going to learn to keep the mouth shut?", Kale thinks to himself, "Those imperials have no trace of humour in them. Lucky, they couldn't find their arse even if they tried with both hands. I could open a store in the brig to sell all the stuff I'm carrying... let's see... lock picks, pocket knife, timer, some wire, a coin... I don't feel like contorting to check the rear pocket right now...".

Kale opens an eye looking for the captain and then he remembers. "Oh dear, and Pain-in-the-ass-Hollas on top of it, poor Cyrus... if he'd ever listened to advice...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brig:

Captain Hollas, flanked by two stoic guards, approaches the cell, dressed in the dull brown and gray uniform of an Imperial Captain. Whoever designed it must be color-blind and Captain Hollas has adopted a personality to match the uniform.

She looks in the cell and pauses, searching for the tone of voice with the least amount of inflection. "I apologize for the inconvenience, but it looks like you will have to stay with us just a bit longer. It seems that the Wireless is not working and we are having trouble verifying the registration of your ship. Of course, if nothing is amiss, you will be released with our sincerest regrets."

The ship starts to shake slightly. Captain Hollas looks worried but continues.

"According to Imperial law, however, we are entitled to a search of the ship in the event that we are unable to contact Ilysium and we feel that the ship or crew poses a danger to the Empire."

She looks directly at Cyrus as she says the next part. "And I have good reason to believe that there is a danger here." She turns to leave.

Does anyone stop her from leaving or ask her any questions?
Does anyone have any personal possessions on the ship that might raise eyebrows in a search?

Cyrus: Other than a brief look at the end, Seraphina did not acknowledge that she knew you. How does that make you feel? How do you respond to Snargle?

Naomi: How does it feel to be separated from Lady Blackbird? Even if you did escape, do you have a plan to find her?

Snargle: Do you plan to free anyone else? Do you think you could fly the Hand of Sorrow if you needed to?

Kale: Do you have any spells that will help in this situation? What do you think is causing the ship to shake?

Guest quarters:

A short servant with a neatly trimmed beard enters Natasha's room. He looks as though he may have some dwarf blood in him. In that case, he's not nobility but has grown up around nobles and knows how to act.

He is carrying a tray of food. It's some dish that's popular on Haven: a soupy substance with vegetables and fortified with grain. It's a bland affair, even when prepared perfectly. However, next to it is a bowl of fresh green grapes. You had no idea that they grew on Haven, but it's a rare treat.

The servant apologizes for the intrusion and bows before he leaves. You pick up the bowl of grapes and find a piece of paper folded in half underneath the bowl.

What does the note say?
Do you eat the soup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention that Lady Blackbird would have also noticed the ship shaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkottler wrote:
[OOC - first PbF game, please correct me if I step out of line, OK? I assume we know who LB really is. At least I know.]

First, please post parenthetical remarks in gray. Secondly, Lady Blackbird has not told you who she is. Even if you know, it is not information that you can freely share with the crew without some sort of big revelation. See sbszine's post.

Your writing is great. But PLEASE read the other players' posts more carefully. Unlike most role-playing games, I disseminate some of the information, but a lot of details are also created by the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have deleted the post for editing. But I must know her identity, I'm in love with her. Or am I in love with her fake identity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jkottler wrote:
I have deleted the post for editing. But I must know her identity, I'm in love with her. Or am I in love with her fake identity?
I thought with the fake identity. Sorry, should have included something about that in my post. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Do you eat the soup?
Natasha squints at the soup then pushes it aside -- no need to eat peasant food unless there's a risk of starvation. She'll have to have a word with that dwarf about the eating arrangements. Natasha turns instead to the grapes, peeling and eating them in accordance with courtly etiquette.

(OOC: Does this hit the Key of the Paragon?)

Rishi wrote:
What does the note say?
When she picks up the bowl of grapes, Natasha finds a note underneath.

Unfolding the paper, she sees that it's some kind of code, presumably typed by the cyphering engine in the Hand of Sorrow's signals room. Natasha doesn't recognise the code, but she thinks maybe the goblin Snargle would. Could it be a message from Uriah Flint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkottler wrote:

Again, parenthetical comments in gray would be better. Most of your post was fine. Just the part about knowing who Lady Blackbird was needs to be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

(OOC: Does this hit the Key of the Paragon?)

I think no. I think you need to use your graces to overcome a problem. I don't know if bad food is enough of a problem for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Snargle watches the captain leave, surprised that Cyrus didn't respond. And what was that look she gave him? There is something there, but he's not sure what the story is. Just another item to file like all the others.

Stretching out, he steps out of his shackles and gently places them on the floor. Crossing to Arkam, Snargle puts his hand on his shoulder and gives it a firm shake. While he may not agree with everything Arkam does, he's a good man, and worth having in a fight... or a cell.

"You still with us? I hope so, I'd rather you pull something out of your ass than me."

Satisfied that Arkam is at least conscious, Snargle walks around the brig. He jumps up and down three times in the center of the room. "Seems sturdy enough. For a second there, this thing was shaking like The Owl running from a bad debt. Bet whoever's at the helm is just out of Imperial Academy. Doesn't know a throttle from a Sky Squid's tentacle. They should let somebody with some skills at the wheel."

Snargle jumps up and clings to the wall using his claws. leaning down he looks through the door, back to where the Captain had left. Hanging upside down, he whispers loudly, "Woman like that won't have the patience to wait for the wireless. She's going to look under your bed, Boss. Hope you cleaned up. So question is, do we wait till she finds something, or are we going to go look under her bed first?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus watched Seraphina carefully as she approached the cell and addressed them. Except for her look at the end, she gave no sign of recognition. That meant...

Cyrus kept his voice low as he addressed his passenger and crew.

"Ms. Bishop - are you injured?"

The very thought of her alone in the hands of Hollas' people gnawed at him. The whole idea of him delivering her to her wedding...what a farce. His attempts to draw her attention during the trip had failed until now, and here she was god knows where, captive on an imperial cruiser. Love is a moron and and optimist, though two words were never more redundant. So his thoughts unbidden sought light in this darkness: Perhaps, if things here turn around, if he could deliver her from this danger...he could show her there is room for more than one dashing pirate in the world...He hurried to continue speaking before his thoughts were betrayed.

"As for what we do now...they've got her separated...So she must be someone special. We need to keep quiet for now. Things aren't as bad as they might be - Snargle's free and the set of irons that can hold Kale hasn't been forged yet. With the wireless down, we've got some time. And, "

A smile crept across his face as he imagined sweeping the grateful lady into his arms, "I know two people on this ship - and one of them owes me his life!"

Before there was Captain Vance, prisoner on The Hand of Sorrow, there was Corporal Vance of the Imperial marines. And before there was Petty Officer Malachi Bell, recently outside their cell at Captain Hollas' left elbow, there was Skyman Malachi Bell; crawling against a bulkhead, pants soaked and cooling, while Corporal Vance stood above him pistol barking and saber dripping red, the dying boarders groaning at his feet. And Petty Officer Bell's lingering look told Captain Vance hadn't forgotten it.

(OOC: What counts as a session in a PbF? A day? A week? Or is this whole game a single session?)

Cyrus bent and began to remove his gleaming black boots.

"Arkam - you're in charge here while I'm gone. Get yourself free and both of you Keep your irons close - you may need to be back in them in a hurry. We want to keep them in the dark as much as possible. Bundle up something on that cot under a blanket and try to sell it as me if necessary. Kale, I don't suppose you have anything hurtful on you right now? And quiet?"

He hands the boots to Snargle.

"These may help with the 'Captain's in the cot' routine, and in any case, I'll move softer without them."

He turns his regard to Naomi.

"Ms. Bishop. You're not on my crew, but your safety is still my responsibility until we reach our destination. So I'd appreciate it if you'd do as I say during this...inconvenience. My first mate there can have you out of those irons in a jackrabbit's heartbeat and if you don't mind my saying so, you look like you can take care of yourself - and others besides. So since we're all in this very same boat, I'd take it as a kindness if you'd do as Arkam says while I'm away, and hew to my words when I return."

He returned his attention to his men, confident that his passenger would fall into line. He began to tick off points on his fingers as he spoke.

"Regardless of what's under our beds, the fact that they think we're stuck in here is one of our precious few advantages. Another is that this hulk is big enough to loose half a fleet in, so once we're out we should be able to move pretty freely. Another is that I know this class of boat - I spent months avoiding work on one just a couple of lifetimes ago." "

And he hadn't forgotten what Seraphina's silence meant: She wanted their past to stay in the past. That meant it was dangerous to her or her career. And in this brig he had almost nothing to lose. It was one of their advantages, but not one he wanted to share. Yet.

"Right now, I'm getting out of this cage - There's just the one guard down the hall, and he may even have the keys on him. I'm on my way to the maintenance cupboard to make sure that the wireless stays down. There's nothing under my bed, but in the turret and the engine room...she'll need the wireless to be sure, though. I'll try to find our other passenger on the way - to make sure she's well..."

Again, the thought of where she might be wrung his guts like a wet towel. Imperial Inquisitors were not gentle or kind. Not the kind of people she deserved.

"...and get back here with whatever tools and weapons I can liberate on the way."

He looked his men in the eyes in turn as he spoke, and remembered before it looked awkward to settle his commanding gaze on the passenger woman, too.

"And if that man who was with Hollas comes back again, the PO named 'Bell', tell him 'Remember The Fire of The Righteous'."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkottler wrote:
(OOC: What counts as a session in a PbF? A day? A week? Or is this whole game a single session?)

I figure we would wait until we were at a natural stopping point and then say it's the end of a session. At the pace we're going, we'll probably have "session" breaks every 2-3 weeks. I would love to hear opinions on this, though. This might be a good conversation for the OOC thread, actually.

Good post, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Does anyone have any personal possessions on the ship that might raise eyebrows in a search?
Kale wouldn't like the Owl's new steam cells dismantled. The crew got them as salvage from an imperial ship wrecked in the Imperial Expansion. Kale should've scratched the serial numbers, but he couldn't spoil the shiny plate.

Rishi wrote:
What do you think is causing the ship to shake?
"Pssst, Cy, a ship this size doesn't shake easily and it didn't feel like an engine burst. If we were down the Lower Depths, I'd go with a sky squid. And I don't think pirates would dare to attack an imperial dreadnought, wouldn't they?"

Rishi wrote:
Do you have any spells that will help in this situation?
Kale examines the shackles, good alloy, but he thinks he can make the shatter spell through. He lifts his hands, showing his shackles to Cyrus. "Shall I, captain?".

OOC: Oops, JK posted faster than me, should I edit this post or can we assume this one goes before his?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jose-san wrote:

OOC: Oops, JK posted faster than me, should I edit this post or can we assume this one goes before his?

I'll let you guys work that out. My inclination is to edit, though. It's less jarring for people who might be reading the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus looks sternly at Kale.

"Get out, but keep 'em whole. And pirates? What's to gain? Would we attack this ship? Whatever it is, it's keeping them busy. And the more they pay attention to the big, bad, ship-shaker, the more they'll forget about all of us, safely locked away down here.

Now, make sure that you've got everyone sharp and ready by the time I get back."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi grits her teeth as Cyrus orders her around. Low down smugglers like him sold her to slavery, made her what she is today, and now their idiocy has got her locked up again. And worse, separated from her Lady. If they've harmed a hair on her head, they are going to pay, everyone is going to pay.

Calm, Naomi, she thinks to herself. These crewmen want to escape as much as she does. She needs them now to get her Lady back. But at the thought of trusting the smugglers she can't help but grasp at her shackles, and there is an audible crack as the links split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Finding hard to balance while holding Cyrus shoes, Snargle jumps down from the wall just in time to hear the crack of Naomi's chains.

"Uh, Boss, not to make waves or anything, but even if I was able to convince the guard that you were an old wadded blanket with great footware, I don't think I could convince him that our companion here just happened to get the one pair of faulty bracelets."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |