Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recruiting Thread - Lady Blackbird (Need one replacement)

We will hopefully get started in the next few days.

Players:

José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince

フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb

Check in when you get to this thread. Also, confirm that you've downloaded the game.

Also, since it's a free game, I have no issues with this: I have the game uploaded to Google docs. If anyone else here uses Google docs, I will gladly share it with you. Just send me a GeekMail with your e-mail address.

How do you want to handle character selection? Few things that came to mind:

A. Completely random
B. First come, first serve
C. Semi-random. People roll dice. Highest roll gets first pick, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ok with any of the characters myself so random is good, but I don't mind if others want to pick theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All characters seems pretty cool, so I'm happy with any of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
The characters all sound great... I'm for Random as well!

Edit: And just to confirm, yes, I've downloaded and read it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any method of character selection is fine with me. I have the game, but haven't read it for fear of spoiling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkottler wrote:
Any method of character selection is fine with me. I have the game, but haven't read it for fear of spoiling it.

In that case, the only thing that you should avoid is the GM page on Page 9, if you don't want spoilers. I'm not necessarily going to use anything there, but I might. It's not an adventure, per se. While the opening is scripted, the game is pretty free-form after that. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The game is mostly just background, setting and rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
jkottler wrote:

In that case, the only thing that you should avoid is the GM page on Page 9, if you don't want spoilers. I'm not necessarily going to use anything there, but I might. It's not an adventure, per se. While the opening is scripted, the game is pretty free-form after that. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The game is mostly just background, setting and rules.

Great - I can go ahead and read it then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Checking in... random is fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All right. Random it is.

Lady Blackbird 1custom5{Jose-san;jkottler;Scrowe;ThatFedoraGuy;sbszine} -> ( sbszine) -> sbszine
Naomi Bishop 1custom4{Jose-san;jkottler;Scrowe;ThatFedoraGuy} -> ( Scrowe) -> Scrowe
Cyrus Vance 1custom3{Jose-san;jkottler;ThatFedoraGuy} -> ( jkottler) -> jkottler
Kale Arkam 1custom2{Jose-san;ThatFedoraGuy} -> ( Jose-san) -> Jose-san

And that leaves Snargle for ThatFedoraGuy.

Start thinking about your characters and feel free to ask questions about your keys, traits, etc. I need to do a little more prep before starting the IC thread, but we'll get rolling this weekend at the very latest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 51219. Rishi
  • 1custom5{Jose-san;jkottler;Scrowe;ThatFedoraGuy;sbszine} =
  • ( sbszine) =
  • sbszine
  • Lady Blackbird
  • Fri Sep 9, 2011 12:52 am
  • [+]
  • 51220. Rishi
  • 1custom4{Jose-san;jkottler;Scrowe;ThatFedoraGuy} =
  • ( Scrowe) =
  • Scrowe
  • Naomi Bishop
  • Fri Sep 9, 2011 12:55 am
  • [+]
  • 51221. Rishi
  • 1custom3{Jose-san;jkottler;ThatFedoraGuy} =
  • ( jkottler) =
  • jkottler
  • Cyrus Vance
  • Fri Sep 9, 2011 12:56 am
  • [+]
  • 51222. Rishi
  • 1custom2{Jose-san;ThatFedoraGuy} =
  • ( Jose-san) =
  • Jose-san
  • Kale Arkam
  • Fri Sep 9, 2011 12:57 am
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah for Goblin pilots!!

I'm a green hairless wOokie!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
All right. Random it is.

Rishi previously rolled 1custom5{Jose-san;jkottler;Scrowe;ThatFedoraGuy;sbszine} = ( sbszine) = sbszine (Lady Blackbird)
Rishi previously rolled 1custom4{Jose-san;jkottler;Scrowe;ThatFedoraGuy} = ( Scrowe) = Scrowe (Naomi Bishop)
Rishi previously rolled 1custom3{Jose-san;jkottler;ThatFedoraGuy} = ( jkottler) = jkottler (Cyrus Vance)
Rishi previously rolled 1custom2{Jose-san;ThatFedoraGuy} = ( Jose-san) = Jose-san (Kale Arkam)

And that leaves Snargle for ThatFedoraGuy.

Start thinking about your characters and feel free to ask questions about your keys, traits, etc. I need to do a little more prep before starting the IC thread, but we'll get rolling this weekend at the very latest.

W00t! Even though any character is fine, I totally got the one I was hoping for! This looks like a really interesting game. The setting is more S7S than Firefly, which is the opposite of what I was expecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm Kale, great!

Just finished my reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay guys, here are some ground rules. I am assuming that everyone has read the rules and has at least read the game and has a basic understanding of the rules. Some of these are just about expectations and others are mechanical issues. If you have an issue with anything here, I prefer that you bring it up now and we negotiate a resolution now rather than have it cause friction later.

We’re mostly going to follow basic PbF etiquette. If this is your first PbF game, please take a look at this:

PLAY-BY-FORUM (PbF) - FAQ & REFERENCE [sic]

If there are any differences, I will note them below.

If there is anything that I haven’t covered or you have any additional questions, post now. I plan to start the IC thread tomorrow.

How the game is played

I will describe the scene and ask questions. These questions may be about character actions, feelings, but they may even be about the setting and NPC actions. This is different from most role-playing games that you’re used to.

If a detail about the world is not established then you, as the player, may establish it. I may tell you the name of a guard, for example. But, if I don’t, you are free to come up with something. You even have some control over the guard’s background and motivation. Just don’t contradict that’s already established and don’t go overboard. (Unless you literally want to jump off the ship - highly encouraged!)

Character tracking

I will have a post at the beginning of the IC thread to keep track of conditions, XP, buyoffs, etc. But please double-check to make sure it is accurate.

Dice pools

If you want to risk a die from your pool, please declare it before you roll.

If you want to help another character, also declare it before the roll. The player may ask for help before rolling. This is one aspect of the game that we might have to look at again later, if it slows the game down considerably.

Refreshment scenes

You may ask for refreshment scenes in the in-character thread, but I the text should be grayed out like this:

I would like a refreshment scene with Snargle.

Some formatting issues

Character actions should be in third person. So “Cyrus takes out his pistol” and not “I take out my pistol."

One thing that’s different than most PbF games on here: character dialogue should be in quotes, but please do not bold it or put it in a different color. I personally find it very distracting.

Minor rules clarifications and parenthetical out-of-character comments can be in the IC thread (though you may also use the OOC thread), but please post them in gray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In-character thread is up:

Lady Blackbird: Chapter 1 - In-character thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent role-playing so far! Definitely some interesting stuff... I'll post a little bit of narrative and more questions later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Testing the geekroller:

5d6c[4] 5d6c[4] = (4 4 4 6 4) = 5 successes from 5 dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 52137. sbszine
  • 5d6c[4] =
  • (4 4 4 6 4) =
  • 5d6c[4]
  • Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:06 am
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.

Test 20d6c[4] = (1 6 1 2 4 1 3 5 6 1 3 2 4 2 4 2 1 3 6 2) = 7

Edit: Seems to work. You just got a great roll, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 52322. Rishi
  • 20d6c[4] =
  • (1 6 1 2 4 1 3 5 6 1 3 2 4 2 4 2 1 3 6 2) =
  • Test
  • Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:15 pm
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you click on the result, you can see each individual dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Nice! I was hoping to hit the key....

I'm not sure what I want to use it for yet though...

Two questions:

If you add a dice to your pool, does that mean for the rest of the run, you would have 8 instead of 7 after a refreshment scene?

Also, If it takes 5 experience to land an advance, and there are only three keys to hit, giving tops 2 exp each, then does that mean you can only get one advance in a run?

Just trying to think this through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can hit the same key any number of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Oh now that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jose-san wrote:
I think you can hit the same key any number of times.

That's my understanding as well.

I will poke the other players later today or at least confirm that they have nothing to add this go-round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, are we still playing? Can you please post to confirm that you still want to play?

If one or two players drop out, it's not a problem. I normally don't like replacement players, but I think it would work in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I would love to keep going... I've enjoyed it so far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah sorry, I've not been very active at this one. I think I shouldn't try multiple PBFs at time. You'd be better served with someone who is going to be more committed so I would suggest you see if anyone else will take over Naomi.

Again, I'm very sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |