Popular Tags: 48hour_rpg_2011 [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon the individual files will be loaded into the database here, but in the meantime I have compiled all of the entries a zip files hosted externally (I'll delete these files once the voting period is over). You can download it now from:
http://stelio.net/games/geek/48hour2011.zip (14.2 MB)

As such, voting can begin!

In order to vote:

1 Download the files for all of the entries, and give them a good read.

2 Decide on what order you think the games should be ranked, from best to worst, in each of the following categories:
21 Overall Best Entry
22 Best Interpretation of Elements
23 Best System
24 Best Setting
25 Best Looking Product

3 GeekMail your decision to me (quick link).

Voting algorithm

All registered users are eligible to vote. You can change your mind if you want by sending me an updated order of voting, but only if you do so before voting closes.

The contest will be decided by Single Transferable Vote (the same method as last year). This is a voting method that is not possible (yet) using the poll functionality on this site, which is why you need to send me your votes instead. I will then count up the results in order to determine the winner.

The only information I need for your vote is a list of the games in the order that you think they should end up. You do not need to list all entries in your vote, but please list at least three entries in each category as there are places for three winners. Listing fourth/fifth/etc. choices helps when the voting is close.

For full disclosure, I will be using the Droop quota with surplus votes reallocated through proportional allocation similar to the Gregory method.

Timeline

First deadline: Wednesday 31 August 2011

Just in case, I'll extend the above deadline if I think that I haven't received enough votes. If it's close to the deadline and you still need more time, let me know (by posting here) as that will affect my decision to extend the deadline.

Questions

Please ask any questions in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to all the entrants, looks like a great list! I'm very much looking forward to reading these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McKenna
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are entrants allowed to vote? If so, do we leave our own entries off the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
rednightmare wrote:
Are entrants allowed to vote? If so, do we leave our own entries off the list?
Entrants are allowed to vote. I believe I'm the only entrant allowed to vote for his own game, but we should check with Stelio on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people do, some people don't. it's really a personal choice. Of course, if you add yours to the list, be objective.

sos1 wrote:
Entrants are allowed to vote. I believe I'm the only entrant allowed to vote for his own game, but we should check with Stelio on that.
Pay no attention to the toad in the overcoat. He's obviously hit a tree in his new buggy and has lost his mind at the moment. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I realise now is that I didn't specifically mention what my 3 elements were in my game. I suppose they're probably guessable (and you could find them on the discussion thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Friedman
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrowe wrote:
The only thing I realise now is that I didn't specifically mention what my 3 elements were in my game. I suppose they're probably guessable (and you could find them on the discussion thread).
If you look at the first page of the original contest post, it has a list of each entrant and their three elements.

Any chance we could get a similar list on this page (but maybe by game title)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrowe wrote:
I just entered them in the "More information" for the RPG Item for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McKenna
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't outright say what mine were either. I like to think that in a game with randomly generated pubs, a magic pipe, and a plague of rats that the elements are obvious to anyone looking for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rednightmare wrote:
I didn't outright say what mine were either. I like to think that in a game with randomly generated pubs, a magic pipe, and a plague of rats that the elements are obvious to anyone looking for them.
Well, yes, but people will be voting on best interpretation of elements so they should really know for certain and not have to guess what your words were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McKenna
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're quite right. I went and added that information to item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm - 16 are listed as completed at http://rpggeek.com/thread/680232/2011-rpg-geek-48-hour-rpg-c... - but there are only 15 in the zip file and series page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Friedman
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Hmmm - 16 are listed as completed at http://rpggeek.com/thread/680232/2011-rpg-geek-48-hour-rpg-c... - but there are only 15 in the zip file and series page!
There's also only 15 in the series.
http://rpggeek.com/rpgseries/11334/2011-rpg-geek-48-hour-rpg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As requested, here are (I think I got them right) the titles of the pieces with the word elements:

One Lost Pipe by rednightmare........................................ (rat, pipe, tavern)
HelperMonkey.com by dumwytgi........................................ (monkey, hat, website)
The Conspiracy of Unkind Constables by Stix_Remix................. (raven, laser, tomb)
Scavengers by shawnssica............................................. (rat, cards, tomb)
P'tor Ra - Return of the Lizard Gods by nyriv..................... (velociraptor, knife, tomb)
of Knights Glory by FNH1............................................ (squid, sword, forest)
Showdown at the Desert Fortress of Professor Anteater by Scrowe (anteater, laser, desert)
Square Inch by PaulBaldowski......................................... (rat, knife, website)
Monkey Bomb Squad by sdonohue....................................... (monkey, bomb, alleyway)
Year of Meteors by sbszine.......................................... (dragon, sword, station)
Mushika sos1......................................................... (rat, hat, temple)
Solar Station Alps by belirahc...................................... (goat, cards, station)
Satyr Play by sleppen................................................ (goat, ball, castle)
Frog, Pipe and Prison by Vaklam..................................... (frog, pipe, prison)
Colors of Grey by Munkwunk........................................... (chameleon, statue, tavern)

And I can't find the entry, listed as submitted, by:

Wired_Wolf (wolf, laser, sea)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first speed read through "Colors of Grey", it looks like a darned good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
sos1 wrote:

My entry was effectively eaten by a lack of sleep, time, too much employment and a missing flash drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
sos1 wrote:

My entry was effectively eaten by a lack of sleep, time, too much employment and a missing flash drive.
Though I may post what I had as a blog entry and see where it leads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Useless Stats

We had fifteen (downloadable) entrants (I'll update if the sixteenth shows). With 20 items in each category, there were 8,000 possible combinations. Unsurprisingly, each of our fifteen entrants had unique item combinations. Still, we had a surprising number of common elements, all things considered.

Under Animals, we had ten of twenty items come up, seven of which weren't repeated. The most common were Rat with four games, and Monkey and Goat, each with two games.

With our Objects, we had far more duplication. Only nine of twenty possibilities came up, and yet there were only three unique items (those used in only game): Bomb, Ball, and Statue. All others were used twice.

Of the twenty Locations, only half came up in die rolls with six unique items and four repeaters, Tavern, Website, and Station with 2, and Tomb with 3.

For each game I ascribed two scores relating to originality. The first, the Originality Score*, is a measure of how many unique elements that game possessed. As such, it will range from 0-3. The second is it's Shared Score, a representation of how frequently its elements popped up in other games taken by adding the overall instances of each particular item and then subtracting three so that non-repeated elements did not contribute to it's Shared Score (as they don't share their elements), the lowest possible score being zero, and the highest possible score being six based on this particular batch.

One Lost Pipe by rednightmare (rat, pipe, tavern) - Originality: 0 Shared Score: 5
HelperMonkey.com by dumwytgi (monkey, hat, website) - Originality: 0 Shared Score: 3
The Conspiracy of Unkind Constables by Stix_Remix (raven, laser, tomb) - Originality: 1 Shared Score: 3
Scavengers by shawnssica (rat, cards, tomb) - Originality: 0 Shared Score: 7
P'tor Ra - Return of the Lizard Gods by nyriv (velociraptor, knife, tomb) - Originality: 1 Shared Score: 3
of Knights Glory by FNH1 (squid, sword, forest) - Originality: 2 Shared Score: 1
Showdown at the Desert Fortress of Professor Anteater by Scrowe (anteater, laser, desert) - Originality: 2 Shared Score: 1
Square Inch by PaulBaldowski (rat, knife, website) - Originality: 0 Shared Score: 5
Monkey Bomb Squad by sdonohue (monkey, bomb, alleyway) - Originality: 2 Shared Score: 1
Year of Meteors by sbszine (dragon, sword, station) - Originality: 1 Shared Score: 3
Mushika sos1 (rat, hat, temple) - Originality: 1 Shared Score: 4
Solar Station Alps by belirahc (goat, cards, station) - Originality: 0 Shared Score: 3
Satyr Play by sleppen (goat, ball, castle) - Originality: 2 Shared Score: 1
Frog, Pipe and Prison by Vaklam (frog, pipe, prison) - Originality: 2 Shared Score: 1
Colors of Grey by Munkwunk (chameleon, statue, tavern) - Originality: 2 Shared Score: 1

The average Originality Score was 1.066-, or slightly more than one unique item per entry.

The average Shared Score was 2.533-.

No entry had a completely unique combination of items. Six shared only one item with one other game. They are "Of Knight's Glory," "Showdown at the Desert Fortress of Professor Anteater," "Monkey Bomb Squad," "Satyr Play," "Frog, Pipe, Prison," and "Colors of Grey." Five games had no unique elements. The two games tied for highest amount of shared aspects were "One Lost Pipe" and "Square Inch."

*I apologize if seeing "Originality: 0" offends someone. It's not a representation of quality or how derivative your game may or may not be. It's simply a matter of how many of your three random elements were not used by other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done to everyone who participated!

I look forward to reading through these over the next few days, and maybe giving one or two a quick play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumwytgi wrote:
Useless Stats...
Way too much time on your hands today, Sean! ^_^
Interesting stats though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McKenna
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh. I love useless stats! If there is one thing I'd like to see in a future contest it would be either a larger variety of random elements or deliberately vague elements. What I mean by vague is using words that can be interpreted in a large number of different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
dumwytgi wrote:
Useless Stats...
Shhhh... Don't tell anyone, but sometimes when I'm at work, I do things that I wouldn't do at home, just to avoid paperwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Friedman
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumwytgi wrote:
belirahc wrote:
dumwytgi wrote:
Useless Stats...
Shhhh... Don't tell anyone, but sometimes when I'm at work, I do things that I wouldn't do at home, just to avoid paperwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No lie. I once began writing a book about the best ways to look like you're working, organized by job sector, searchable by necessary equipment, and rated by how difficult it is to pull off, and how much time it buys you (is it a don't get caught slacking behavior or a get out of the afternoon free con?)

EDIT: Ironically, I was a pretty hard worker at the time, but my coworkers slacked off a lot, and I thought "Why should they be the only ones here to capitalize off of their laziness?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |