Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
390 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

Dragon Age Quickstart Guide» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: An Arl's Ransom PBF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: I'm a 7-year veteran of an active PbF RPG!Microbadge: I obsess over microbadge alignmentMicrobadge: I got lost in the MargreveMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Herculean Participant
"And another's probably shorter than our cargo - er, protect-ees. But coin is coin, as my grandma still says."

Louder, to the group: "Say, Madame Alenka. Just how small are these children? And just how dangerous is this countryside?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
"The oldest, Joseph, is 13. He's a strong lad, and fiercely protective of his little sister. Hana hardly needs the help though... the Arl's daughter is like us -" Alenka gestures to the other mage "- but he insists she not join the Circle yet, he fears it will make her hard to marry off. I've tried several times to warn him of the dangers, both of letting her power grow without guidance beyond mine and simply of keeping her secret from the Circle and the templars. "

She pauses and raises her hand to her eyes and studies the road ahead. "The guards told me they've traveled this stretch about a week ago and found no trouble. There should be a clearing shortly, just before a bridge. It would make an excellent place to stop, open our canteens, and maybe eat some lunch."

(Chatter continues until Nate thumbs/posts, or Monday evening, whichever is first. Hoping for a balance: don't want to push too far ahead without him having a chance to at least check in on the thread.)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 45011. shawnssica
  • 2d6+1d6+1 =
  • (1 + 2) + (3) + 1 =
  • 7
  • Dex
  • Sun Aug 7, 2011 1:06 am
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
I will however, cast Rock Armor on Hatharian's behalf in the meantime:
Magic (TN 10) 2d6+d6+4 = (6 + 4) + (6) + 4 = 20

Hatharian takes a cue from Alenka and with similar intonations, causes his skin to take on the stony qualities of rock armor.
(Armor rating for the next two hours is 4; Mana is now 14/18)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 45018. shawnssica
  • 2d6+d6+4 =
  • (6 + 4) + (6) + 4 =
  • 20
  • Magic (TN 10)
  • Sun Aug 7, 2011 1:13 am
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fan
Elora's senses tingle at Alenka's comment.

Elora says to Djuric quietyly, "Frankly, in my experience, commenting about there being no trouble the week before suddenly ramps up the likelihood that there will be trouble now. Why don't I scout ahead, just in case?

Essentially I'm assuming it's just Djuric and myself forming the party caboose and out of hearing range of Alenka. . I could try to put my supposed stealth and perception abilities to good use!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: WFRP - Member of the Purple HandMicrobadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Machu PicchuMicrobadge: Deadworld fanMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep fan - Gray Hands
Sorry, folks. Been on vacation for the past week - without any internet access. I should have access next two days or so, but than it might be a little touch-and-go after that. I'll do my best, though!

Hatharian tries to give a warm smile at the ribbing comments sent his way. He doesn't want to put off their guide so early. However, he admits she seems much more amiable now.

As he hears the previous comment about the arl trusting them, despite having so many pointy-eared members, Hatharian adds his own quip. Oh, no doubt this is the perfect group. We may be untrustworthy knife-ears, but that also means we're very expendable.

Regarding the discussion of the arl's children, Hatharian definitely has his own points of view. I will not begrudge the arl's distrust of the Circle. No, I think the land would be better served if more people held a dose of healthy skepticism for the Circle and their agenda. Dark things occur in those towers, and the Circle is most definitely not what they try to portray themselves as. The only boon the Circle provides is their great libraries of knowledge. Let the arl keep his daughter at home, and let others teach her self-discipline and control.

As for a scouting party, that sounds like an excellent idea. I will, of course leave that task to those better-suited for such duties.



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
Alenka: Oh, I have few illusions about the Circle, Hatharian. Misgivings aside, though, it is best she learn to relate to the Fade in a way she can control. And I cant imagine the hardship of living as an unsanctioned mage... One person accuses and suddenly its a witch-hunt for the only witch in town. 'Tis likely the lesser wrong.

Just got in from PFS and typing on a phone. Will update early tomorrow again. Who else is scouting around?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fan
It might just be me...I've got the 4 Dex with Stealth Focus and a 4 Perception (so 3d6+6 total?). Hatharian has a 3 dex, but I'm not sure he would want to slink around trees. I was assuming I would solo this piece, but who else wants to go along?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
Sounds correct. Could you fire two rolls back, one for Perception(Hear/See) & one Per(Stealth) please?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fan
Perception 2d6 + 1d6+4 = (5 + 6) + (1) + 4 = 16

Stealth 2d6 + 1d6+4+2 = (3 + 3) + (6) + 4 + 2 = 18

Aww, sadly Stealth checks don't count for Stunt points!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 47035. riska
  • 2d6 + 1d6+4 =
  • (5 + 6) + (1) + 4 =
  • 16
  • Perception
  • Tue Aug 9, 2011 2:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 47037. riska
  • 2d6 + 1d6+4+2 =
  • (3 + 3) + (6) + 4 + 2 =
  • 18
  • Stealth
  • Tue Aug 9, 2011 2:51 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: I'm a 7-year veteran of an active PbF RPG!Microbadge: I obsess over microbadge alignmentMicrobadge: I got lost in the MargreveMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Herculean Participant
Djuric keeps his eyes focused on Elora as she scouts the area, his muscles tensed to charge to her aid if he spots any trouble.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
riska wrote:
riska previously rolled 2d6 + 1d6+4 = (5 + 6) + (1) + 4 = 16 (Perception)

riska previously rolled 2d6 + 1d6+4+2 = (3 + 3) + (6) + 4 + 2 = 18 (Stealth)
]
shawnssica previously rolled 2d6+1d6+1 = (1 + 2) + (3) + 1 = 7 (Dex)
Perception (Smelling) 2d6+d6+2+2 = (4 + 6) + (2) + 2 + 2 = 16

As you climb a hill for a better view, it becomes clear that all is not well. Ahead, the forest thins and you can see the spikes driven into the ground where a bridge should be anchored - no bridge remains.

Skulking in the low brush you spot three squat grayish humanoids lying in wait. The largest grabs onto a tree and stands to its full height, revealing yellowish streaks on its mottled skin. It tilts its head back, sniffs the air and looks around, then hunkers back down.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 47282. shawnssica
  • 2d6+d6+2+2 =
  • (4 + 6) + (2) + 2 + 2 =
  • 16
  • Perception (Smelling)
  • Tue Aug 9, 2011 7:06 pm
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fan
Oh great. I'm about to fight good sniffers. Guess I best get Elora ready to run her bum back to the party.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
riska wrote:
Oh great. I'm about to fight good sniffers. Guess I best get Elora ready to run her bum back to the party.
It's cool, you must have worn Eau de Forest this morning. He gets nothing.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fan
I forgot to roleplay Elora rolling around the forest floor like a playful puppy before she got her stealth on. I'm not sure how far away Elora is from the monsters I am at this point. And I'm not sure if Elora has ever seen these monsters before in Denirim.

Elora carefully heads back to her party. When they are in sight, she motions for them to halt and gestures for silence. She whispers, "Monsters, little squat gray bastards with yellow streaks on their skin are waiting for us in the brush before the bridge.

She uses her dagger to draw the ambush scene in the sand.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
Bridge posts
|
Genlocks
| \
| Elora
| /
Party


Frighteningly close, about 25 yards from the party to the enemy, Elora's off to the side. If you had pushed on, would have walked right into the middle of them. From all the talk of encroaching darkspawn, you'd probably pick these out by description as genlocks.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 47912. shawnssica
  • 3d6+4 =
  • (5 + 3 + 2) + 4 =
  • 14
  • Group best stealth
  • Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 pm
  • [+]
  • 47913. shawnssica
  • 3d6+2+2 =
  • (6 + 1 + 3) + 2 + 2 =
  • 14
  • Per (smell)
  • Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: I'm a 7-year veteran of an active PbF RPG!Microbadge: I obsess over microbadge alignmentMicrobadge: I got lost in the MargreveMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Herculean Participant
Djuric spits sourly at the news of the creatures and motions Elora to return. Quietly he gathers the group and whispers, "Unless you wizards can hide all of us with some magicks, I reckon we'll have a tough time sneaking up on this lot. But maybe we can turn the table. Tavis, you feeling brave enough to wander ahead with me? We'll be the decoy and draw 'em out. Elora, you sneak up and take them from the side. Then you mages can charge in like the Arl's cavalry and take 'em from behind?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: WFRP - Member of the Purple HandMicrobadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Machu PicchuMicrobadge: Deadworld fanMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep fan - Gray Hands
Ah, that sounds like an excellent plan! I'm sure this group of ours will find no problems laying low those foul beasts.

On your mark, then. Unless someone else objects?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
DM snicker: Oh this is fun!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: I'm a 7-year veteran of an active PbF RPG!Microbadge: I obsess over microbadge alignmentMicrobadge: I got lost in the MargreveMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Herculean Participant
shawnssica wrote:
DM snicker: Oh this is fun!
Uh-oh! Anybody have a better plan?!?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
No no, actually your plan is the lesser of many evils. You've already avoided being caught off guard. Without letting the genlock out of the bag, as it were, I just saved my hide a bit.

On the whiteboard, just rough layout from what you've been saying:

xxX


D T
E
H A
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fan
Elora looks both wiley and resolved as she nods at the rest of her party and quietly ducks into the brush with her bow in her hand.

Here we go! Encounterville! Population: us!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
Elora skirts around the right, Djuric and Tavis advance cautiously up the path with Hatharian & Alenka bringing up the rear of the party.

For the sake of simplicity, let's use this as the Initiative order for this encounter. Following you, the yellowed genlock and then the plain gray ones.

As Djuric comes around the edge of the scrubby trees the bigger genlock catches sight of him and bellows a warning. They hurry to pull small throwing hatchets from leather thongs and rise from the ground, you have a chance to act!

Elora's up, Djuric and Tavis on deck, followed by Hatharian. You can queue your action instead of waiting, pairing it with a "Unless (something) happens, I will..."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fan
Okay, Elora will move back into a similar position where she spoted the Genlocks before. I'm assuming Elora needs to pass a stealth check to see if she doesn't get seen when approaching from the side?

Stealth, if Needed:
Stealth 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6+4+2 = (2) + (6) + (6) + 4 + 2 = 20

For her ranged bow attack:
Attack 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6+4 = (6) + (6) + (3) + 4 = 19



Looks like I got doubles on my attack with the dragon die being the last die (3 points), I'd like to choose the Mighty Blow stunt to do an extra d6 of damage.

If attack is successful:
Damage 1d6+7 = (3) + 7 = 10

Mighty Blow Stunt 1d6 = (1) = 1

Oh, fudgecicles! I just put the "low" in Mighty Blow. Okay, I'll be picking another stunt next time.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 48349. riska
  • 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6+4+2 =
  • (2) + (6) + (6) + 4 + 2 =
  • 20
  • Stealth
  • Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:31 pm
  • [+]
  • 48350. riska
  • 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6+4 =
  • (6) + (6) + (3) + 4 =
  • 19
  • Attack
  • Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:32 pm
  • [+]
  • 48352. riska
  • 1d6+7 =
  • (3) + 7 =
  • 10
  • Damage
  • Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 pm
  • [+]
  • 48353. riska
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Mighty Blow Stunt
  • Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 pm
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fan
Elora: which target?
And don't worry, the dice spent all Monday night at Pathfinder trying to kill me. At least a bad roll just turned into 1 bonus damage if you hit - which you will, because that 19 was enough to hit a bird in flight.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fan
If the Yellowed one is in view, him(presumptuous of gender, I am!). Otherwise, the closest one in sight. And yes, it is an honor to just get stunt points on the first attack. I'd like to thank the Academy for that. But still it made it evident that the blow might not be so mighty. It was a "Nearly Mighty Blow". I think I'll send Green Ronin a letter and suggest they errata the stunt table and rename it to a "Potentially Mighty Blow".
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |