Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
390 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

Dragon Age Quickstart Guide» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: An Arl's Ransom PBF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tavis straightens to attention and in a gruff voice states. Arl Naruda, I am Tavis Mil, a Fereldan freeman and soldier, my sword is at your service.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
His reply isn't completely disdainful but he certainly seems preoccupied and barely interested. "Yes yes, that's just fine. You’ll do, assuming you can keep those two in line," the Arl says, gesturing past the dwarf & man to the two elves.

"My children are returning from Denerim, and Alenka is due to meet them. My land is being encroached by darkspawn and I need every warrior I have to combat the threat, the last thing I need to do is valuable forces on an errand like this. You will accompany Alenka and return here with her and the children.
I’ll pay 50 silver pieces to each of you for the service of two days or less. Any questions?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And another Perception (Seeing or Hearing, though I don't recall anyone with either focus) check from everyone in the meantime, please.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatharian had to clench his teeth to keep his tongue still. He'd met with much of this same disdain for his kind all his life; and had worked to overcome it. His time in the tower had been successful in convincing many of the other Magi that elves aren't second-class citizens; but this Arl was too caught up in the false traditions of his fathers.

Perception 2d6+1d6+1 = (3 + 1) + (3) + 1 = 8
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 29939. Unknown Ediology
  • 2d6+1d6+1 =
  • (3 + 1) + (3) + 1 =
  • 8
  • Perception
  • Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 pm
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No questions from me, Arl. Says Tavis.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 30055. sirkerry
  • 3d6+1 =
  • (1 + 5 + 5) + 1 =
  • 12
  • Tavis' Perception Roll
  • Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:25 am
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those rolling 10's or better:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Alenka's smile is pulled upward further by a small twitch as the Arl makes his offer; the sovereign you just returned so eagerly was worth twice as much.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elora's face becomes placid at the Arl's anti-elf remark. Her breath catches for a moment, as if she wants to say something, but she remains silent, opting to let her flat-eared companions do the talking.

Perception Roll 1d6+1d6+1d6+4 = (5) + (6) + (2) + 4 = 17
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 30057. riska
  • 1d6+1d6+1d6+4 =
  • (5) + (6) + (2) + 4 =
  • 17
  • Perception Roll
  • Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:42 am
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elora notices Alenka's smirk and counts to 100. Alenka's name just got added to her list of Feckless Bastards. She pretends not to notice and focuses on an imagined stain on her armor.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Children! Nothing more important in the world than children," Djuric says. "I'd be honored to serve you in this way. And don't you worry - we'll keep the undesirables in line, we will." He follows that with a clap on Elora's back.

perception 2d6+1d6+1 = (3 + 1) + (4) + 1 = 9
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 30059. vestige
  • 2d6+1d6+1 =
  • (3 + 1) + (4) + 1 =
  • 9
  • perception
  • Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 am
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Good then, and I do thank you. The meeting point is just shy of a day's journey on foot, near the limit of my arling. Between here and there, it's just rolling hills and ryott but if your feet are too tender, there might even be room for you in my children's carriage."

Anything else before you leave?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we are ready to go unless anyone thinks they need to stop off and get some gear?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As you step away from Arl Naruda to converse among yourselves and check who is carrying what, so as to not be caught unprepared during the hike, someone walks up behind you wearing a hastily thrown-on cloak. Beneath it, she is a sturdy middle-aged woman, well-dressed and obviously a noble.

“Please forgive my husband,” she pleads. “This incursion is trying for all of us, and the Arl deals with worry in his own way. He is grateful, even just knowing that his family will be travelling safer. For my part, I thank you for your help.”
“From what I’ve been hearing the countryside is very dangerous. I would die if something were to happen to Joseph or Hana. Please take this a sign of a mother’s gratitude.”


She reveals her hand, cupped around roughly 50 pale silver coins and offers it to you: "It's barely a sovereign's-weight, but if it makes a difference in my children returning safely, it's worth every bit."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventurer’s Gear / cost
Arrows (20) 2 sp
Bolts (20) 3 sp
Backpack 9 sp
Candle (Pair) 5 cp
Flask 50 cp
Flint and Steel 10 cp
Healer’s Kit 25 sp
Ink (Black, one vial) 20 cp
Lamp 2 sp
Lantern 5 sp
Lock Picks 12 sp
Mountain Garb 10 sp
Musical Instrument 10 sp
Oil, Pint 8 cp
Pouch (Belt) 1 sp
Quiver 2 sp
Rope (20 yards) 2 sp
Spike 5 cp
Tent, Large 35 sp
Tent, Small 10 sp
Torch 10 cp
Traveler’s Garb 15 sp
Waterskin 40 cp
Whetstone 10 cp

If you'd like to add anything besides the default gear for your character, we can assume a brief stop at the town market on the way out of town. The Arl, though caustic, might also be able to supply or subsidize some of the basics since you are escorting his family and he's seriously lowballing you.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got most everything...but did we want to use our 50 sp from Ol' Lady Naruda to buy Healer's Kits? Or did someone else stock up?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riska wrote:
I think I got most everything...but did we want to use our 50 sp from Ol' Lady Naruda to buy Healer's Kits? Or did someone else stock up?

Healer's Kits sound good.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, though I've no idea what they do...only have the Quickstart....
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Agreed, though I've no idea what they do...only have the Quickstart....
Let's say a +2 on heal checks, 4 uses?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry. I didn't see the question about the healing kits. Here's how they work:

During combat, you can take a heal action as a major action. You must have bandages (thus the healing kits!). It's a TN11 Cunning test, and then the recipient heals Dragon Die + Cunning of the healer. A character can not be healed like this again unless they get new damage.

Edit: Yes, I have the PHB handy...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riska wrote:
Oh, sorry. I didn't see the question about the healing kits. Here's how they work:

During combat, you can take a heal action as a major action. You must have bandages (thus the healing kits!). It's a TN11 Cunning test, and then the recipient heals Dragon Die + Cunning of the healer. A character can not be healed like this again unless they get new damage.

Edit: Yes, I have the PHB handy...

Good purchase then! (The PHB and the first aid kit)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You bid Lady Neruda farewell, and she smiles again before her face settles back into its worried repose. Alenka leads you through the city and out the side gates - along the way you put some of the coins Lady Naruda gave you to use in the market to purchase some basic healing supplies. The remaining silver is (divided between you as evenly as possible / carried by ____ ).

The road between the houses becomes rutted almost immediately upon exiting the wooden gates of town. The track slopes down from Stenhold's vantage between some ryott plots and into a forest. You've traveled just past the last guard post, between the ryott fields, when Alenka pauses and sets down her pack below a scrubby tree. She closes her eyes and chants as she passes her right arm down the left and then the opposite; the skin creaks, turning gray and solid for a moment before relaxing.

"It's dangerous out here. Not all of us like to clank around in metal buckets... They do still teach you the most basic of armor spells in the Circle, don't they?" she pokes a bit of friendly humor at Hatharian before picking up her pack and starting off again.

Hey everyone! Before we go further, can I get a marching order or rough formation that you'll be travelling in. The track can be walked two-wide, and Alenka is currently leading the way. Feel free to chatter among yourselves and the guide, too.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the most damage with my long bow. Since Alenka is leading the way, I could take the rear or be stealthing about trying to look for foul denizens of the road

Elora focusses her attentions on her environs as she leaves the village. As she follows Alenka, she scans the sides of the road for hazards.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tavis would like to take the lead with Alenka, if it's all the same to everyone else?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirkerry wrote:
Tavis would like to take the lead with Alenka, if it's all the same to everyone else?


I'm cool with it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Djuric grunts as they depart and quickly slows his stride to fall to the rear. His eyes roam around the path in all directions; the dwarf is evidently a touch paranoid.

"That Arl was somethin' else, wasn't he?," he whispers to Ellora while their guide is distracted.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elora's face contorts into an expression of sarcasm as she leans towards Djuric and replies, "Verily. He puts the "arl" in darling. I'm surprised he hired our party given that 50% of us can't be trusted because of our pointy ears."

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |