Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
390 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

Dragon Age Quickstart Guide» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: An Arl's Ransom PBF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dramatis Personae:

Hatharian Ironwood, an elven circle mage. His ink-stained fingers belie his dedication to study, his scarred face and crooked nose suggest a less than tranquil past.
Elora Redway, a slum-born city elf who aspires to rise above thievery and deceit in a world where her kind are treated as persons.
Tavis Mil, for now just freeman mercenary but he plans to earn knighthood and land through reputable work, beginning with this errand for the Arl.
Djuric, a roving dwarf who left Orzammar to negotiate contracts with the humans of Ferelden. Distinctive tattoos and a knob nose differentiate this merchant, even amongst his diminutive kin.


The story thus far:

Four very different paths have led you to the Arl's service - a desire to see past the dogma of the Circle, proving yourself as more than your birth, dreams of nobility, a routine envoy assignment...

The Arl's time has been monopolized lately by the darkspawn threat and while you have been granted access to Stenhold's courtyard, the Arl was not one to personally greet visitors even in the best of times. The guard who permitted each of you to enter the hold has asked you to wait for a few minutes, and has entered the castle to fetch Arl Naruda's steward. Seeing the other three waiting, presumably for similar purposes, is a bit of a surprise - when you first inquired about paid work, there was no mention of others.


What do you do in the courtyard?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Djuric gives his fellows an appraising look and a smirk. "Didn't realize this job was so involved. Nice of the Arl to provide me with some assistants, though you lot aren't anywhere near the folks I would have chosen. I guess you'll have to do, though." The rumble of Djuric's gravelly voice sounds serious, but a smile and a wink betray the humor he intends - at least to any who have met surface dwarfs before.

By the way, I have zero knowledge of Ferelden outside the one-page summary in the Quickstart...so apologies if I screw up any of the setting canon!
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatharian gives a large, inviting smile to the group. The group before him fills his head with visions of what the future should hold; of a land united. A small part of him feels this is the beginning of that greater unity, at least on some small scale. When he speaks, the excitement is clearly audible in his accented voice. Oh, a pleasure to meet you, one-and-all! I daresay, this looks like an ideal troupe! Another elf, a dwarf, and a fereldan! Yes, yes - a fair group indeed.

Oh - pardon me. Introductions must be made! I'm Hatharian; of the Durenmare clan. A pleasure to make your acquiatances!
Hatharian extends his hand in greeting to each, in turn - giving a hearty shake to all.

No worries - I don't have any real knowledge of the setting, either. That means we get to make it up as we go along!
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elora appraises her party members one by one. She's just a diminutive elf, but even casual onlookers feel like they are staring at four walls. Still, at Djuric's comment a little mischief squeezes through her aloof features.

Elora speaks in a soft, yet quick tone, with a hint of a lilting accent, A pleasure to meet you all! I agree with Hatharian here. I suspect we'll make a formidable team. And Djuric, I'll be happy to assist you with anything you need; be it me tossing you a few things you can't reach, or me tossing you to a few things you can't reach. I am at your service. I'm Elora Redway of Denirim.

Elora gives Hatharian a curious squint, I can tell by the bit of static cling in your robes that you are a mage. Were you once part of the Circle?
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatharian's large smile turns towards the lithe elf as he replies. Why, aren't you an astute lass! Yes, I was a circle mage, but I am gladly free of their abysmal tower and their false words. Why, the things I could tell you about the tower would give you nightmares for the rest of your life!
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no doubt of that, Hatharian. Freedom is a lovely thing. Perchance you can tell me about those scary things sometime. My curiosity is insatiable, and well, as for nightmares, I'm sure I can handle them. After all, this IS Ferelden. Living on this rock is not for the faint of heart.

Elora looks over at Tavis, who hasn't said anything. Looking at Djuric and Hathorian and then tilting her head towards the Ferelden, Is he sleeping? He hasn't moved or said anything! Do you think we should wake him up before the Steward arrives? I always wish I had a bowl of warm water handy for times like this.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Djuric's laughter rumbles across the courtyard. "Bah! Warm water - more like ice cold water for that purpose, eh?

"So one of youse a mage - and one of youse a hilarious diminutive elven wench. I guess I'll be doing all the heavy lifting, both physically and mentally."
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riska wrote:

Elora looks over at Tavis, who hasn't said anything. Looking at Djuric and Hathorian and then tilting her head towards the Ferelden, Is he sleeping?
whistle Definitely the warm water.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
riska wrote:

Elora looks over at Tavis, who hasn't said anything. Looking at Djuric and Hathorian and then tilting her head towards the Ferelden, Is he sleeping?
whistle Definitely the warm water.

Sorry, I forgot to subscribe to the bloody thread. I thought is was odd that I wasn't seeing anything show up when checking subscribed messages on the Geek.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tavis scowls at Elora and Djuric. I'm waiting for the steward and trying to figure out just what I've gotten myself into.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirkerry wrote:
Tavis scowls at Elora and Djuric. I'm waiting for the steward and trying to figure out just what I've gotten myself into.

A hybrid of surprise and excessive friendliness appears on Elora's face as she stands slightly inclined towards Tavis' hands with a bowl of water in her hands.

I uhhh, just thought we'd like to wash your hands before meeting with the Steward. Cleanliness is next to Makerness, after all! I always like to start out my adventures with a clean set of hands. Yes, well, your hands look quite clean enough. Good man. I'll just be over here.

Elora spends the rest of her time fastidiously cleaning her hands while she awaits the steward.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As you're conversing, the clouds overhead darken and let loose a downpour. Some of the soldiers that were practicing near the wall gripe, but their commander orders them to keep on with their drills. You're able to take shelter under an overhanging roof, the dust of hay and some tack suggest its use as a stable for visitors' horses.

Members of the noble house come and go, rushing from dry spot to dry spot. Trailing them several steps behind and often carrying their loads are elven servants.

Across the courtyard, you hear a shouting as a ladder clatters out of an open door, followed by a begrudging elf and his master's shouts,
"You useless knife-ears are pitiful! It's just a bit of water - now get up there and fix the roof. We can't have leaks above our beds!"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An Arl's Ransom PBF - Alenka
As the door slams, a tall woman moves across the open space toward you. Her light cloak is whipped by the wind yet unlike the other inhabitants, she does not seem hurried. She pauses to scowl at door where the shouts came from and makes a disapproving noise at the abuse.

Turning to you, her eyes light up and she introduces herself briefly.
"I am Alenka, steward to the Arl. Please follow me."
She then turns and strides to the fortress's main entrance. At first the heavy, swollen door sticks in it's frame, but with a second push it creaks open.

1Could I have TN 9 Perception (Seeing) tests from everyone, please? 3d6+Perception+focus bonus of 2 if you have seeing; either as an Add a Roll on this post or in a reply. I'll roll any missing ones on Wednesday morning.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 29532. Unknown Ediology
  • 3d6+1 =
  • (2 + 1 + 5) + 1 =
  • 9
  • Perception (Seeing)
  • Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 am
  • [+]
  • 29589. riska
  • 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6+4 =
  • (4) + (3) + (6) + 4 =
  • 17
  • Elora's Roll
  • Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:29 pm
  • [+]
  • 29653. vestige
  • 3d6+1 =
  • (2 + 2 + 6) + 1 =
  • 11
  • Djuric
  • Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 pm
  • [+]
  • 29677. sirkerry
  • 3d6+1 =
  • (1 + 3 + 3) + 1 =
  • 8
  • Tavis
  • Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:16 am
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirkerry wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to subscribe to the bloody thread. I thought is was odd that I wasn't seeing anything show up when checking subscribed messages on the Geek.
No harm! I was going to try and track you down soon, assuming that's what happened.

riska wrote:

...I always like to start out my adventures with a clean set of hands.
Oh we'll fix that soon enough whistle
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:


riska wrote:

...I always like to start out my adventures with a clean set of hands.
Oh we'll fix that soon enough whistle[/COLOR]

I have absolute faith that you shall! In fact, much like the video game, after every combat opportunity, I shall be sure to add splatters of blood all over my character in my descriptions.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who rolled 9 or better: (all of you so far so you're on your honor to not peek, Kerry!)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
As Alenka pushes at the door, a single gold sovereign is jostled out of a pocket and bounces down her robe into the edge of a puddle. You can see it sticking half-way out of the mud but she takes no notice of it. She steps inside and motions for you to follow.


And clarification about Dragon Die, when it comes up: if you were playing at a table, you'd have one differently colored die called your Dragon Die. If you want to designate it in your roll by rolling 2d6+1d6, that works, otherwise we'll look at the exploded roll and take the third result. One example: if you roll doubles in your attack roll (keep your eyes open for that!), we'll look to the Dragon Die to see what kind of Stunts (quickstart p10 & 12) you'll be able to add to that attack.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we presume that since I have the highest score that I saw it first and can thus react first? If so...

Elora picks up the coin, and quickly assesses that her fellow players also noticed the coin. She quickly gets over her disappointment that she wasn't the only one to see the coin and says, Excuse me, Alenka! I believe this coin is yours!

If not, forget I said anything...

Edit: Oh, and Sir Kerry hasn't rolled yet...so I guess my reply shall hold until he rolls.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tavis follows Alenka (and as he's pretty oblivious to the dropped coin).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatharian notices the coin, as well - but his fellow elf moves first. He's a bit oblivious to the fact she checks to see if anyone else noticed. Rather, he hears her quickly offer the coin back to the steward, and he can't help but think how kind and civil such an act was - one which he fully supports.

Ah, yes. That did fall out of your pocket. You don't think a cutpurse slit your pocket did he? Why - you better be on the lookout for any lowlifes around here.....although, there do seem to be a lot of those....

I was thinking of just using the third die as the Dragon Die, but I think making them separate would be of greater benefit. That way, you can easily see the individual results, if needed - without expanding a roll. Not that expanding takes much time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology wrote:

I was thinking of just using the third die as the Dragon Die, but I think making them separate would be of greater benefit. That way, you can easily see the individual results, if needed - without expanding a roll. Not that expanding takes much time.

OOC: Hmm, for some rolls we'll need to expand them anyway as doubles matter for stunt points.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Once a roll's been added to a post, we can click on it to have it explode into individual dice + modifiers. As long as we're consistent about which one is special!e.g. d2+3d6+3 = (2) + (2 + 5 + 5) + 3 = 17 >> d2+3d6+3 = (2) + (2 + 5 + 5) + 3 = 17
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 29678. shawnssica
  • d2+3d6+3 =
  • (2) + (2 + 5 + 5) + 3 =
  • 17
  • e.g.
  • Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 am
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arl Voychek Naruda
As you eagerly present Alenka with her coin, her lip curls into a wry smile.
"Ah, such honorable mercenaries. My thanks to you. It seems that the Arl's attracting the right sort... Wouldn't want anyone interested in taking advantage of him, would we?"
She pockets the coin, placing it in a drawstring purse.

The front doors lead down a wide entrance hall, its rugs looking worn and water trickling down the masonry in places. In the great hall a short and stocky man stands in the center of the room. Several elves busy themselves around him with averted eyes, working to adjust his polished plate mail.

He looks over with irritation as you approach, "Alenka- OUCH! You foul-"
One of the elves pinched him with the greaves being fitted, and receives a gauntleted backhand for the mistake.

"Well, Alenka? Who are these?"

She turns to you, "Remember who you are speaking to - You may address my master as Arl or Arl Naruda. Please introduce yourselves and your qualifications, as we do have several other groups interested in paid service."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking a step forward, Hatharian offers a deep bow before speaking - not only to show respect, but to hide any disdain that may creep across his face after noting the poor treatment of his kin . Most honorable Arl, I am Hatharian Ironwood of the Durenmare clan; Magi of the Circle. I have come, with these others, to offer my services.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Djuric scowls at Elora when she returns the coin and whispers quietly to her, "Don't be giving up good coin on a whim, young lady - not unless you have good reason," he says with a wink.

After Hatharian introduces himself, Djuric stomps forward - clearly attempting some grace but failing. "Aye, Djuric, at your service. I be good with an axe, and an argument, and in keeping these folk in line," he rumbles, his eyes flashing to the two elves. "I'm your man...errr..dwarf, whatever it be you need."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who had the song "My Sharona" pop into the brain with the name "Arl Naruda". And now my brain is riddled with "Ah-ah-ah Arl Naruda!" and "Arl-arl-arl-arl-Wooo!" over and over again. No? No one else? Oh well,I best move along, then.

Elora gaze hovers upon Alenka's coin purse for a short while and then puts her game face on, Arl Naruda, it's a tremendous honor to meet you. I'm Elora Redway of Denerim. My expertise lies in scouting, be it scouting out locations or people! Or the tender, vulnerable spots in people's backs, Elora says to herself.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |