Subject: Adventure Starter - Portal Under the Stars - Actual Play Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters can be found here.

Introduction (from the Adventure itself)

For long years, you labored in the fields like all the peasants, sweating hot and dirty in the summer, only to shiver under threadbare hides when winter came. This year’s harvest ended like all the rest, and autumn’s work was hard on Old Man Roberts. When you visited his bedside at the end, he spoke in labored breaths of constellations that hadn’t been seen since he was a young lad. The last time the Empty Star had risen in the sky, it was more than fifty winters past, he said. Under the light of that strange star a portal had opened by the old stone mounds. He’d seen jewels in there and fine steel spears and enameled armor, but he’d run when the iron men had attacked. Now, old and dying, he wishes he’d taken the chance on a life of adventure. The Empty Star is once more rising, and a young man with courage could be more than just another peasant – if only he’d take the chance Old Man Robert hadn’t.

You’re taking that chance. You stand before the monolithic rocks of the old stone mounds, under the dark light of a starry sky. The Empty Star is clear and bright above you. Three of the large stone blocks lean haphazardly together to form an upright rectangular portal about the size of a man. They seem to be placed directly beneath the star’s path. As the Empty Star ascends to its brightest point, its light catches in the portal, and a shimmering stone-lined corridor is visible through the stones, but only from one side of the opening. Grasping your pitchfork with white knuckles, you step into the starlit portal which was not there before today, thoughts of jewels and scorching wheat fields foremost in your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Portal

Even though the hallway is visible from only one side of the portal, you tread on solid flagstones. The starlight fades as it reaches into this (extra planar) hallway, which dead-ends ahead at a stout iron-banded door. Jewels or crystals in an odd assortment of star shapes are inscribed on the door.

The Adventure and Characters are ready - game on!

What would you like to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rudy sends his hen ahead of him, shooing her until she reaches the doorway. Assuming nothing untoward happens, the human trap detector follows in her footsteps to examine the door.

Any rolls needed? Are the jewels able to be pried out? Did anyone bring a crowbar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Rudy sends his hen ahead of him, shooing her until she reaches the doorway. Assuming nothing untoward happens, the human trap detector follows in her footsteps to examine the door.

Rudy's hen awkwardly flaps and clucks as it runs forward to the door. She stops short, pecks a few times at it and wanders away without injury.

Quote:
Any rolls needed? Are the jewels able to be pried out? Did anyone bring a crowbar?

I'll call for rolls as needed. The jewels appear to be pretty securely set into the door but, obviously, with enough force (and a suitable tool) anything can be pried out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Moe runs forward and, using his piece of chalk, scrawls the word "mine" next to the gems.

Dibs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
Moe runs forward and, using his piece of chalk, scrawls the word "mine" next to the gems.

As you finish writing the word, a stiff wind blows in from the portal and frightens you. A warning perhaps?

Moe drops the chalk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two dwarves Armanhammer and Cavernbear look at each other and squint at the gems. Surely they probably know more about the nature of rare rocks such as these?

Bella takes more interest in the swirly walls of the extra-planar corridor.

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luge wrote:
The two dwarves Armanhammer and Cavernbear look at each other and squint at the gems. Surely they probably know more about the nature of rare rocks such as these?

Bella takes more interest in the swirly walls of the extra-planar corridor.
All three characters can roll an Intelligence check (d20 + Int Modifier).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here goes (literally) nothing!

A: 1d20 = (12) = 12
B: 1d20 = (3) = 3
C: 1d20 = (11) = 11

How did we do?

L.

Edit: I suppose I should ask for a bonus for them generally being dwarves, and one a miner at that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 26728. Luge
  • 1d20 =
  • (12) =
  • Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:37 pm
  • [+]
  • 26729. Luge
  • 1d20 =
  • (3) =
  • [+]
  • 26730. Luge
  • 1d20 =
  • (11) =
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luge wrote:
Edit: I suppose I should ask for a bonus for them generally being dwarves, and one a miner at that?
I had typed up your triple failure when you asked for this. Due to the heratige involved your Dwarven Miner gets a bonus and just (bareley) realizes the jewels are slightly different sizes and in a pattern that looks neither symetrical nor truly random. Then it hits him! They are arranged like the stars of the local night sky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Luge wrote:
I had typed up your triple failure when you asked for this. Due to the heratige involved your Dwarven Miner gets a bonus and just (bareley) realizes the jewels are slightly different sizes and in a pattern that looks neither symetrical nor truly rwandom. Then it hits him! They are arranged like the stars of the local night sky.

Unwarranted optimism wins the first round!

Cavernbear (in Dwarfish, quietly) to Armanhammer: "They're arranged like the stars in the night sky, all different."

Armanhammer (in Dwarfish) to Cavernbear: "Worth anything?"

A (in Dwarfish): "Maybe. Know anything about stars?"

C (in Dwarfish): "Not a thing. With your hammer and my pick, we could have a go at prying them out, though. When the taller ones are gone."

Bella's goat: Baaaa.

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the dwarves discover anything about the actual nature of the door and jewels themselves? Human? Dwarfish? Not of this reality?

I think I'm obliged to wait for the other players to catch up now.

If I'm not, then Armanhammer and Cavernbear have already prized the jewels out of the door and legged it out of the portal already!

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brei wanders in, his hammer over his shoulder. He looks around and stares at those that are standing here with him.

Contadina smooths out her skirt as she slides off Grumpy, her mule. Her pitchfork in it's harness hanging around the mules neck.

Drogist cackles slightly as he pokes at the walls and floor with his staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luge wrote:
Did the dwarves discover anything about the actual nature of the door and jewels themselves? Human? Dwarfish? Not of this reality?

The stone work on the door appears ordinary - and the door is locked. The Jewels are worth more than you would make in a year at the harvest festival!

Quote:
If I'm not, then Armanhammer and Cavernbear have already prized the jewels out of the door and legged it out of the portal already!

One of them must have pried first... I'll randomize it.

1custom2{Armanhammer;Cavernbear} -> ( Armanhammer) -> Armanhammer works to pry a jewel out with whatever makeshift tools they had. When a small ruby pops out of the door, a searing light jumps from the hole - bursting and striking the dwarf and then fading almost instantly. That character suffers 1d3 = (2) = 2 damage.

Adam Armanhammer has died. The Funnel has been updated.

And we'll wait for others to act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 26741. wavemotion
  • 1custom2{Armanhammer;Cavernbear} =
  • ( Armanhammer) =
  • Armanhammer
  • Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:39 pm
  • [+]
  • 26742. wavemotion
  • 1d3 =
  • (2) =
  • Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:41 pm
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
Drogist cackles slightly as he pokes at the walls and floor with his staff.

You notice nothing unusual. The floor is made of flagstones and are neither particularly valuable nor are they shoddy. The walls are stone but feel a little soft and rubbery when you touch them with your staff... as if they aren't quite all there. But it appears clear that you either go through the locked door or back out again into your normal world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Quote:

One of them must have pried first... I'll randomize it.

That was actually a joke... But okay

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drogist points at Brie. "You there. See if you can open that door."

Brei looks at the cackling madman. "And just who are you to order me around?

Contadina pulls out her pitchfork and sighs heavily. She drops her head slightly as she gently pokes Brei in the rump with the tips of the tool. "How about you leg it and open the door, sweety. I ain't got time to sit here and wait for a bunch of men to make up their minds."

Brei winces and moves to the door, attempting to open it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luge wrote:
That was actually a joke... But okay

Okay - my fault for not laying down a procedure here (smiles are not enough of a mechanic with PBF).

This is the ruling: 1hp of damage (reducing your Dwarf to just 1hp). From this point forward, use [ color=gray] Some Text [ /color] (without the leading space) to put your out of character comments in a light gray color. Anything in gray is not to be taken in game terms. Conversely, anything not in gray is fair game.

The game is unforgivingly deadly - everything you come across is trying to cut you down. Probing, prodding and generally rushing into anything will usually get you killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
Brei winces and moves to the door, attempting to open it.

Give me a Strength Check at DC15 (roll d20 and add your Strength Modifier).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strength Check vs 15 1d20+5 = (12) + 5 = 17
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 26744. belirahc
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (12) + 5 =
  • Strength Check vs 15
  • Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:33 am
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Seeing the failure, Larry steps forward, staff in hand.

Perhaps we can work together and use my staff as a lever. It's pulled up many a root in its day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
belirahc previously rolled 1d20+5 = (12) + 5 = 17 (Strength Check vs 15)

Your strength modifier is -2. You pull. You push. You scratch your head. But the door does not move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
Seeing the failure, Larry steps forward, staff in hand.

Perhaps we can work together and use my staff as a lever. It's pulled up many a root in its day.

A tool! Excellent. Give me the same Strength check at DC15 - you may add 5 to this roll for the use of the staff and Brei's (limited) help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACK! Sorry Dave.

"Alright... Git over here", grunts Brei as he realizes he's pretty much licked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Larry examines the door and carefully positions the staff in a good position. He then takes some care to subtly ensure Brei is between him and the door...

(+5 for help, +1 for STR) 1d20+6 = (9) + 6 = 15

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 26751. sdonohue
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (9) + 6 =
  • (+5 for help, +1 for STR)
  • Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 am
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.