Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
208 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 

D&D Essentials» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Dark Council (IC): Chapter 1 - An Enigma Wrapped in a Mystery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Introduction



The town of Saris. Population in peacetime... 3000.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do bad things always happen in the dead of night? It's just past Two-O'Clock in the morning and you've been woken and summoned to the Tavern of the Owl Bear. A girl has died here tonight - you arrive to find a dozen people in the Tavern. Sama, the usually friendly barkeep, is at the back end of the Tavern near the dead girl and is yelling at a patron who is attempting to verbally defend himself. A few anxious patrons are still here - whispering over the course of events as they have unfolded in the last 30 minutes (for half and hour ago this girl was alive).

(you may need to click the little magnifier to see this full size. There is a front door and a back door behind the bar... several windows on the sides and a fireplace)


What would you like to do?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garrin looks around, stopping for a second on each person in the tavern to inspect them with his eyes.

He then quietly walks over to Sama, bends down near the body and says "Hello Sama, looks like you've had a spot of trouble around here tonight."

Garrin then inspects the injured/dead girl.

I would like to perform a heal check to see if I can determine her cause and manner of death; if no objections, then: 1d20+12 = (3) + 12 = 15


*edited to clarify 1st sentence
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4229. lorddillon
  • 1d20+12 =
  • (3) + 12 =
  • 15
  • Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 pm
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sama (to Garrin) "Thank the heavens you've arrived! Arrest this man!" (he points to the man with whom he has been arguing with). "He was the only one at the table and now she's dead!"

When you examine the girl, you are sure she is dead. It would require a bit more dedicated time (you estimate 5 minutes) to potentially determine cause of death (requiring a DC14 check - you will be generally unavailable to do other things during this period if you choose to try for cause of death).

The patrons are watching it all with a mix of interest and nervousness.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitsho walks over to the man who is loudly protesting his innocence. "Sir, your story will be heard, but you must stop shouting and sit down." He motions to a different nearby, empty table and studies the man's garb and demeanor.

Edited because I misunderstood the lay of the land.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caelan barks out a small order over his shoulder to whichever of the Kinest are still standing at the door. "Bar the door, stay to guard it and let no one in or out until we're done here. I'll go secure the back."

As Caelan walks across the bar to behind the counter he eyes each person trying his best to judge which might know more than they are telling. When he gets behind the bar he gruffly tells the people there to join the owner out by the two Kinest already asking questions.

Once alone he looks for anything out of the ordinary, especially for poisons. He calls out for the bar to hear. "Everyone will need to be questioned and searched. Don't expect any special treatment no matter who you are."

OOC: Insight check on the bar patrons he walked past = 1d20+10 = (19) + 10 = 29, Perception check on the bar as a whole = 1d20+8 = (18) + 8 = 26, Perception check just on the area behind the bar = 1d20+8 = (19) + 8 = 27.

What kind of check would it be to see if anything is poisoned?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4236. Wind Lane
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (19) + 10 =
  • 29
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:27 am
  • [+]
  • 4237. Wind Lane
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (18) + 8 =
  • 26
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:27 am
  • [+]
  • 4238. Wind Lane
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (19) + 8 =
  • 27
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:28 am
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:
Mitsho walks over to the man who is loudly protesting his innocence. "Sir, your story will be heard, but you must stop shouting and sit down." He motions to a different nearby, empty table and studies the man's garb and demeanor.
The man is more than happy to get away from Sama who continues to berate him for the apparent crime. He sits and tries to explain his side of the story.

"My name is Kale, a honest merchant from Longspear. I've arrived in town this week with cargo for trade. I came to the Tavern tonight before we set sail tomorrow. I saw this young woman sitting here and she was being verbally accosted by some of your local... pig farmers. I asked if she was bothered and she said nothing. I figured I was better company than those... swine... and sat down so at least she could have some peace. I ordered us both the finest Tavern Ale and three sips in she stood up, gasped and keeled over. Before tonight, I've never seen this woman."

-Dave
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Lane wrote:
"Bar the door, stay to guard it and let no one in or out until we're done here. I'll go secure the back."
None of the patrons moves. However, I'll leave it up to those who haven't gone yet to determine if they want to follow the order and bar the main front door.

Quote:
OOC: Insight check on the bar patrons he walked past = Wind Lane previously rolled 1d20+10 = (19) + 10 = 29, Perception check on the bar as a whole = Wind Lane previously rolled 1d20+8 = (18) + 8 = 26, Perception check just on the area behind the bar = Wind Lane previously rolled 1d20+8 = (19) + 8 = 27.
The patrons are mostly nervous. Many pig farmers who are up for the Fall market and are normal denizens of the Tavern. One is a bit drunk and is calling for another round (center-most table). The bar maiden is trying to explain to him that the Tavern is no longer serving tonight. Behind the bar, there is a younger bar maiden who is crying and is being consoled by an older woman (also behind the bar). The door behind the bar is closed though it does not appear barred/locked (the storage shed is out back where supplies are kept).

Quote:
What kind of check would it be to see if anything is poisoned?
You'll need to tell me where, specifically, you want to look for poison. It's a big Tavern

-Dave
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garrin turns to Sama and puts his hand on Sama's shoulder, saying "Sama, it is alright. We'll get to the bottom of this. Just try and calm down. Why don't you take a seat at that table over there." Garrin motions to a table different from the one the girl had been sitting at before she died. He then turns back to the girl to do a more thorough investigation.

I will indeed take 5 more minutes to perform a more extensive examination of the girl, trying to ascertain her cause and manner of death; Heal check: 1d20+12 = (5) + 12 = 17 Also note that, before I move her I take note of her position and condition.

dang, so far I've rolled a 3 and a 5, this better improve

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4239. lorddillon
  • 1d20+12 =
  • (5) + 12 =
  • 17
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 am
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Garrin, make sure no one touches those mugs!" I yell over. "We may need to check their drink."

As Kale talks I, Mitsho, take the measure of the man.
(Insight) d20+5 = (9) + 5 = 14

I have a rational mind, so I try to keep him talking to see if he changes details. I ask about mundane things, where he cam, when he came, what wares he sells, how much they sell for, where he was headed next, and so forth. Any question to keep him talking. I watch to see if he has any habits or affectations, and whether he carries any weapon or insignia.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4240. PghArch
  • d20+5 =
  • (9) + 5 =
  • 14
  • (Insight)
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:20 am
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear Mitsho, but am so engrossed in examining the dead body that I do not even glance at the mugs he to which Mitsho refers. He may or may not notice that I did not acknowledge his request.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:
"Garrin, make sure no one touches those mugs!" I yell over. "We may need to check their drink."
Garrin absentmindedly acknowledges you but goes back to the thorough check of the woman's body.

Quote:
As Kale talks I, Mitsho, take the measure of the man.
PghArch previously rolled d20+5 = (9) + 5 = 14 ((Insight))
He answers your questions - rather calmly and collectively. He bears a short sword - somewhat a-typical for merchants even in the untamed lands between here and Longspear. He gives no sign of being nervous and might even be considered a bit serene considering there is a dead woman 20 feet away. You discern nothing else about his manners and nothing overly unusual about his dress.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
I hear Mitsho, but am so engrossed in examining the dead body that I do not even glance at the mugs he to which Mitsho refers. He may or may not notice that I did not acknowledge his request.
Not long into your investigation you notice the following:

* The young woman is dressed in an adventurer's cloak (worn, a bit frayed but solid and up to the task of hard adventuring).
* She wears sturdy boots fit for walking long distances over rugged terrain.
* In her belt there is a pouch - three gold pieces, a half dozen silver and a half dozen copper.
* Strapped to her right leg is a magnificent dagger - long sleek blade, an ivory hilt and a pommel made of what appears to be a single large ruby. There are beautiful but cryptic runes on the blade.

You are still investigating cause of death... to be revealed in time.

We'll give some time to let the other characters 'catch up' in time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caelan starts giving the bottles and kegs behind the counter a closer inspection, looking for traces of poison.

OOC: Perception check = 1d20+8 = (13) + 8 = 21.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4242. Wind Lane
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (13) + 8 =
  • 21
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:59 am
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Lane wrote:
Caelan starts giving the bottles and kegs behind the counter a closer inspection, looking for traces of poison.
You see nothing unusual about the kegs, bottles and other things behind the bar. No hint of foul play there. You do overhear the older woman (who is consoling the young crying woman) say "It's not your fault. Let it go." You gather that the younger bar maiden was apparently serving at the table where the woman died.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Einar watches the room closely, trying to make sure no one is trying to leave by standing in front of the door and watching the windows. He studies the people, looking for tells or indications that anyone might not be what they seem - perhaps elements of the criminal underground or shifty characters are apparent.

Streetwise check?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Avan leans back by the door, absentmindedly ruffling Bandit's fur. He first examines all the patrons and notes any that he doesn't recognize, nudging Califer and pointing them out (unless there are a lot). He also looks to see if anything is out of place (Perception +11 = 1d20+11 = (7) + 11 = 18).

Once Caelan mentions the mugs, Avan saunters slowly over to the girl's table and picks up the mugs, giving them a thorough examination ([color=gray]maybe a Nature check to see if there is any strange herbal residue? Nature +11 = 1d20+11 = (18) + 11 = 29
) and then carrying them over to Caelan. He directs Bandit to stand by the door.

Once at the bar, Avan pours the younger barmaid a drink, much as if he owns the place, and hands it to her with a smile. "Of course it isn't your fault? How could you possibly think that?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4244. vestige
  • 1d20+11 =
  • (7) + 11 =
  • 18
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:49 am
  • [+]
  • 4245. vestige
  • 1d20+11 =
  • (18) + 11 =
  • 29
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:49 am
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Streetwise check?
Absolutely. Give me a roll.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Avan leans back by the door, absentmindedly ruffling Bandit's fur. He first examines all the patrons and notes any that he doesn't recognize, nudging Califer and pointing them out (unless there are a lot). He also looks to see if anything is out of place (Perception +11 = vestige previously rolled 1d20+11 = (7) + 11 = 18).
Exactly two people are out of place. Kale the merchant is new in town. And the dead girl (whose name is Vala - Kale reveals that to Mitsho). Everyone else is reasonably local and has been in the Tavern before.

Quote:
Once Caelan mentions the mugs, Avan saunters slowly over to the girl's table and picks up the mugs, giving them a thorough examination ([color=gray]maybe a Nature check to see if there is any strange herbal residue? Nature +11 = vestige previously rolled 1d20+11 = (18) + 11 = 29)
The mugs contain ale - both smell the same and look the same. Likely drawn from the same keg. You detect nothing unusual.

Quote:
Once at the bar, Avan pours the younger barmaid a drink, much as if he owns the place, and hands it to her with a smile. "Of course it isn't your fault? How could you possibly think that?"
The young barmaid looks up and is visibly shaken. You assume she is upset over the patron that died at her table. She seems inconsolable - but you don't suspect foul play on her part.

The drunk pig farmer (middle table) gets up and is attempting to leave. He says, "If they're not serving, I'm not staying!" He walks to the front door.

-Dave
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I stand quickly when I see the pig farmer stand and use a bit of magic whip my glove over in front of him, palm facing him to indicate STOP. My voice booms from the glove. "Go no further! Sit down fool, until the Kinest completes the investigation!" Mage Hand (minor) and Ghost Sound (standard)

In a softer tone I add, from my own mouth, "We'll be done soon."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Califer drifts in through the front door, bumping in to the fellow trying to leave, cutting his purse free as he does so.
Thievery 1d20+10 = (1) + 10 = 11

He then drops the purse on the floor, the jingle of coins clearly audible. "Sir, you almost dropped this. Leans down and scoops it up, holding it out while drifting towards the body.

"Ewwww. Is that a dead body? I told you the food in here was shite. Sama how about a round of beers? We're hard at work here. So, what have you.... Hey, that's a nice blade!" Leans over and picks up the blade, inspecting it.
Arcana or something I'm equally bad at 1d20+ 0 = (8) + 0 = 8
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4269. MJ Harnish
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (1) + 10 =
  • 11
  • Thievery
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 4270. MJ Harnish
  • 1d20+ 0 =
  • (8) + 0 =
  • 8
  • Arcana or something I'm equally bad at
  • Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:50 pm
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:

I stand quickly when I see the pig farmer stand and use a bit of magic whip my glove over in front of him, palm facing him to indicate STOP. My voice booms from the glove. "Go no further! Sit down fool, until the Kinest completes the investigation!" Mage Hand (minor) and Ghost Sound (standard)
The pig farmer has that look of shock and awe on his face followed by turning a bit pale - you're fairly sure he just crapped his pants. He sits back down and stares at the glove.

Impressive! We're not dealing with an initiative order but if I call for one later here in the Tavern you're fine as both those powers are At-Will

-Dave
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MJ Harnish wrote:
Califer drifts in through the front door, bumping in to the fellow trying to leave, cutting his purse free as he does so.
MJ Harnish previously rolled 1d20+10 = (1) + 10 = 11 (Thievery)
There was actually a second pig farmer who was attempting to leave - seeing his friend begin the bailing process. While the mage does his tricks to keep him in the Tavern, your technique was no less effective (well, a little less effective... had it not been a stumbling pig-farmer your roll would have failed!) He follows you towards the middle and then far end of the room not wanting to let his purse (no matter how light) get out of his sight. He's fumbling to thank you for recovering it but you keep walking away!

Quote:
"Ewwww. Is that a dead body? I told you the food in here was shite. Sama how about a round of beers? We're hard at work here. So, what have you.... Hey, that's a nice blade!" Leans over and picks up the blade, inspecting it.
MJ Harnish previously rolled 1d20+ 0 = (8) + 0 = 8 (Arcana or something I'm equally bad at)
Given your roll... it looks like a nice blade. The runes are indecipherable to you.

-Dave
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garrin reaches out to Califer and tries to take the blade back.

"I'll take that, friend. This is evidence in the investigation - it stays with her other belongings" He then nods toward his pack, in which he has been placing her other items "at least until we have a handle on this particular situation" Garrin smiles at him and then stands to his full 6'2" height, looking down at Calfer, and then raises his head and says to the crowd "It will be better for everyone if we all just settle down and relax. You can all sit down and try and stay calm, and let us finish our investigation"

Garrin then kneels back down and continues to catalog her belongings, store them in his pack, and examine her body for manner and cause of death.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |