Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"There is no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood." James T. Kirk
Microbadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: RPG: Science Fiction genre fanMicrobadge: Star Trek Adventures RPG fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: The Next Generation fanMicrobadge: 2020 RPGG challenge: play five RPGs you have never played before participant
I thought the competition was great. And I'd like to thank those that voted for Naked in Space (and Steffan for the GG).

I'd had the idea of making my own RPG for a while but never really had the motivation. Of course I was then hit with the originality clause so had to drop the list of aliens I've created in the past. My original idea for a rule system was so close to what Cubuicle 7 have for Doctor Who, so creating somethign new was the biggest challenge. Now the competition is over I'll be able to go back and add some of those old ideas to flesh out my game and fix couple of rules.

As to how the competition was run, well hats off to Stelio for running a very smooth competition.

The open format gave us an amazing variety of entries. I find that interesting because you get to see other gamers area of interest and see what they would like to play.

A competition with a narrower subject matter would be good too but may bring less entires. But I do think a create a setting (without rules) to be dropped into another RPG could be an idea for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: 2010 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG Contest participantMicrobadge: 2011 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG Contest participantMicrobadge: 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG Contest participantMicrobadge: 2013 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG Contest participantMicrobadge: 2015 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG Contest participant
I'd like to see the 24 Hour contest continue much as it was, except for having voting over several categories. Adding other contests over the year wouldn't hurt, though I think personally I'd be less inclined to join one where the focus was more on the contest than the games. However, others might have the opposite view, and be spurred on by the competitive aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2015Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2016Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2017Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2018Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2019
Once a year is good for me. I'm doubting about the freeform idea. It's a good thing that there would be categories because now you see that some games did not get a lot of votes but they weren't the regular rpg's. On the other hand, just the fact that you can do what you want makes it fun.

Ow and since everyone can't wait to make up a new RPG, let me remind you all that help is welcome and we have 4 months to get this one up and running:

http://rpggeek.com/rpg/4358/geek-the-roleplaying-game?

So get the hell over there and start working there. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Donohue
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
Instead of trying to categorize the games, what if we had categories for elements of the design?
Best Game would remain as the ultimate goal, but maybe there would also be winners for:
Most Interesting Theme
Nost Innovative Mechanics
Best Mechanics
Best Presentation
Bext (Most Evocative?) Cover
Best Artwork
Most Eager to Play

No, I don't expect to use all of these, just throwing out some ideas. I think if there were 2 or 3 categories it might be more fun, but I wouldn't want to have to vote in 10 or 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal E. Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about all of those except Best Artwork.
(especially as most people in the last contest used creative commons works)

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Donohue
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
Best Original Artwork then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Microbadge: Corporate droneMicrobadge: Actuary - ExtrovertedMicrobadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: ActuaryMicrobadge: D ixviqzj yjsk xujzy, gij ggr O buz rgy onon gczyuhk sdixjhgymk. Ikgo!
To all the other folks who have left comments so far: don't think I'm ignoring you. It's all being read. But since I wanted to respond to one part of Shanya's post, I thought I'd respond to it all...

Almafeta wrote:
The STV algorithm works well enough, although I don't think enough people understood that while voting someone in last was still a vote for a game, not voting for a game was a vote against the game. I don't think it would have altered the voting very much, especially in the top 10, but that should be more explicit next time.
Here's the breakdown for how the votes ended up being allocated amongst the three winners:
18 people got their 1st choice
6 people got their 2nd choice
5 people got their 3rd choice
2 people got their 4th choice
2 people got their 5th choice
1 person got their 6th choice
1 person got their 7th choice
1 person got their 14th choice (er... that was me, actually, oddly enough)
1 person did not get any of their choices, but only gave a top-three ranking

Almafeta wrote:
I'd rather not have a restriction on language, considering I was going back and forth about whether or not to write Monster Manuel in English... People should have the choice to enter in non-English languages, if they're willing to accept the consequence that most people won't be able to read it and thus won't be able to vote for it.
That's an excellent point. I'll not limit entries based on language, and I'll just leave it up to the entrants to make that decision, just as happened this time.

Almafeta wrote:
Also, next time, we should have a vote on how much of the rankings to reveal. #1 through #3 is a given, considering they're the prizes awarded (should we have more winners next time?); we should be able to vote for the top ten, top 50%, and a full ranking from top to bottom.
It's not always possible to give the positions of later entries because of the way STV works. Technically the rank of any entries beyond the top three were not within the remit of STV. I gave a top nine because people seemed to want more information, and that was as far as I could specify with any confidence.

Almafeta wrote:
Speaking of more prizes... should we have "categories" to vote in? It might be easier to vote for the Most Original, Most Complete, Most Playable, Best Read, Best Organization, and *then* Best Overall. Perhaps with small prizes for each of the smaller categories.
Personally I also had the following honourable mentions:
A Touch of Fate for a reference to the 1st anniversary contest
Hop Scotch for being the most startlingly original entry (emphasis on "startling"?)
Witless Minion for placing David Bowie in Rank Five
Useless! for an exhortation not to wrap the rules around a live trout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Sabat
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn.
I knew I would miss something interesting here. This whole idea of holidays is a rotten capitalistic concept. At least I've managed to read couple of good games, for which I thank the authors :-)

So, when is the next edition? ;-)

A bit of boring knowledge:

In Poland we got our Nibykonkurs (Pseudocontest), which has quite interesting rules. Firstly, we use mix-o-tronic to generate three random ideas (for the first edition it were: biography, monkey pirates, castle). Than we pick two of the three. And the writing begins! Contest lasts for a week, the games are presented.
There's a gentleman's rule - every participant is supposed to read all the other games and produce a review of every title. There are no winners, but every review got ranks, points, stars or whatever thing there is, so we can see, who wrote the best material.
The whole thing started in like 2005, since then we've got 16 editions, resulting in total number of 80 games (average 5 games per edition).

l.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your hard work in running the event!

I'd prefer no limits. I don't even think a contest is necessary. At least for me, the event was an excuse to finally put an idea in my head onto paper. Just getting it written was an accomplishment for me.

A 24-Hour adventure would be great. I *would* like to allow entries for non-RPG games that use adventures and scenarios: Descent, Doom, Castle Ravenloft, Arkham Horror, etc.

Might also be fun to "port" game systems. I need an excuse to play Descent with World of Warcraft miniatures...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal E. Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
A 24-Hour adventure would be great. I *would* like to allow entries for non-RPG games that use adventures and scenarios: Descent, Doom, Castle Ravenloft, Arkham Horror, etc.
Well, the adventures could be generic so that any system of a similar genre could be used to run them.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |