Popular Tags: twittered [+] 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and Gentlemen, after weeks of frenzied work, intensive reading, and considered voting, the results are finally in. Without further ado, I present you with the cream of the crop: the top-placed games as voted for by you, the users of this site, in the August 2010 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG Contest...

d10-1 Retrospect by M. J. Harnish (MJ Harnish)
d10-2 Shakespearead by Jaime Lawrence (Hida Mann)
d10-3 The Bremen Town Musicians by Steffan O'Sullivan (sos1)
d10-4 Against the Darkness by Chad Bowser (cjbowser)
d10-5 The Hermetic Order of the Chimera by Simon Crowe (Scrowe)
d10-6 A Touch of Fate by Sean Cox (dumwytgi)
d10-7 Witless Minion! by Lowell Francis (edige23)
d10-8 GRIMDARK by Shanya Almafeta (Almafeta)
d10-9 Familiars by Pat Gamblin (Gruffydd)

And so it gives me great pleasure to be able to hand out prize bag to the following deserving folks:

The 279 first prize goes to
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
mbmbmbmbmb

The 186 second prize goes to
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb

The 93 third prize goes to
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb

Prizes will be handed out shortly. Coming soon: discussions and polls on how and when to do this again!

Thank you everyone for participating, voting, discussing, and patiently waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! Congrats to Michael & Jaime - well deserved! And thanks to all who voted for mine!

And frankly, congrats to all who entered - we can all be proud of our entries. I read every one and am very impressed with the lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to you all! It's a worthy list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to Michael, Jaime and Steffan!

Congratulations to all who participated as well! They were all great! Here's to hoping there will be more entries next year...

although I think we'll need a longer read time if that happens. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wahooo!!!! I made top ten!

Congratulations to the top three! You all wrote great games! That being said, you all wrote great games that my printer hates, hates, hates

Congrats to everyone who made top ten and congrats to everyone who participated for making the effort and putting yourself out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
OH YEAH!!!!!! WOOO!!! You guys are the best!!

Winning this prize is such stuff as dreams are made on!!

It just goes to show:

the poet of them all
Who will start 'em simply ravin'
Is the poet people call
The bard of Stratford-on-Avon.

I'd like to thank my family, all of you and Bill Shakespeare!

PS: If any of you wants my feedback, or just to know where I voted your game, feel free to geekmail me - I ranked all 32.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I'm having to restrain myself from doing a little victory dance in my office (which my colleagues would likely find very strange shake). cool

First off, congratulations to everyone who entered - I was amazed at the variety and quality of the submissions (incidentally Shakespeared was my first choice cool). It was fascinating to see how varied the submissions were - a few were things I would have never have even imagined could be turned in to a RPG (The Bremen Town Musicians! Having been to Bremen and seen the statue in person I thought it really stuck a chord with me).

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and evaluate the games - having done it myself I know it was no small feat. The hardest part for me was trying to wrap my head around some of the mechanics and see what they brought to the table and how they would work. Some of these games I definitely will be trying out at home.

As for my game, I plan on refining and playtesting Retrospect and then e-publishing it as a free pdf product. Therefore I'm really looking forward to feedback and hearing what people liked and didn't like about the idea, as well as where all the mistakes and typos are (I already found one in reading through it a few days ago which made me cringe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal E. Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done everyone who placed!
It was a very enjoyable experience.

And thanks to Stelio for organising this!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recount! Fixed! Rigged!

Um... I mean..

Congratulations and well done all!!

Looking forward to the discussion - Steffan already has a nice geeklist of all the entries at: 24-Hour RPGs, August 2010: the Geeklist

Lastly, I want to thank my Mom for voting for me. I love ya Mom!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
First, congratulations to everyone who won! There were a lot of awesome games. Voting was very, very difficult.

Congratulations to everyone who entered. Setting aside 24 hours to produce a functional RPG is hard. Actually following through is even more difficult. Everyone should give themselves a big pat on the back and then go play some of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Donohue
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Congratulations to everyone who participated. Double Congratulations to the winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
See also: Feedback thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone was intersted, I submitted 10 votes - of which half eventually got into the official list.

#1 Gridmark - it was the writing and atmosphere that really gripped me. Read it twice.
#2 Third War - Starting with the character sheet was genius. I knew the game before I read the rules.
#3 Retrospect - Just neat all-around. I can see why it won!
#4 Familiars - Questions, questions, questions. Made me think.
#5 A Touch of Fate - Good, clean scene framing. Solid use of cards for story elements.
#6 Uncertain Worlds - Best setting, possibly. Good plot hooks. A little short on system.
#7 Hermetic Order - Best use of examples really help make this one concrete.
#8 Watchmen - Great idea and unique... but needs more fleshing out.
#9 Fatale - Not sure I like the randomness of Kiss tokens. Very well written and gets high marks for being different.
#10 Monster Hunter - Very short, but I loved things like "lighting a candle may be appropriate" lines and found something that just felt like the kernel of a great game. Just needed more time.

Just missing was The Bremen Town Musicians (not sure if a 10th or 11th place would have helped or hurt Steffan - voting algorithms aren't my strong suit).

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
My top ten and Dave's were very different. I suspect my top ten and a number of people's were different.

What I find really interesting about this competition is seeing what the community values in a game. I'd love to hear some of what people thought about Shakespeariad. I'm amazed that it placed so highly, it looks full of problems through my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
I'm amazed that it placed so highly, it looks full of problems through my eyes.
When I voted, I looked for potential, not polish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Hida Mann wrote:
I'm amazed that it placed so highly, it looks full of problems through my eyes.
To a certain extent I would agree. I also looked for games which I thought would be fun for me to run (maybe as a one-shot).

All I'm going to say is my top game didn't appear in the top-10, and 3 of the top-10 didn't appear in my top-10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much a "system matters" kind of guy, so I tended to favor games in which the mechanics went hand in hand with the theme & play - generic systems simply bolted on to a theme generally ended up further down my list since there are already a bunch of systems out there (e.g., Savage Worlds) which I could use simply if I wanted to "have an adventure." Thus, if a game is about spies not knowing who to trust, I want to see a trust mechanic that directly impacts play rather than just a list of attributes, skills, and perks. For example, Dogs in the Vineyard's mechanics work so well because of how they interface with the situation: Escalation leads to much more serious consequences. similarly, 3:16 Carnage amongst the Stars is not just a game about killing aliens because of the way mechanics work over a series of missions.

Clarity of presentation of the rules and mechanics that actually work were also two important criteria. If I couldn't grasp how to do something or the math of the mechanics simply didn't work, the game didn't do so well. For example, the original Colonial Gothic RPG is a great idea and setting, married to a system that was very poorly executed (characters fail most of the time with their original d12 system because they didn't appreciate how "swingy" 2d12s are compared to 2d6. I hope much of this has been fixed in the revised edition.)

The potential for the game, both in terms of how interesting it was and whether or not it had any re-playability were also things I considered - would I play the game? Could I imagine playing it with different groups?

Layout, art, and presentation were only factors in my own rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
andyl wrote:
cjbowser wrote:

To a certain extent I would agree. I also looked for games which I thought would be fun for me to run (maybe as a one-shot).

All I'm going to say is my top game didn't appear in the top-10, and 3 of the top-10 didn't appear in my top-10.
Most definitely. When I said "potential", I not only meant potential to be a complete game, but also potential to be fun as-is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
I realized that my tastes are way different as well. I only had 4 of the top 10 in my top 10 (including my #2 & #3), and one of the 10 (errr, 9) was one of only 6 games that I didn't rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jingle bells, Batman smells. Robin laid an egg. Batmobile lost a wheel. And the Joker got away!
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats to the winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When ranking the games, I rated them from 1.0 to 10.0, and took mini-notes on each of them about what I thought was strong or noteworthy about each game, to help guide me as I write the full reviews. All 31 games got ranked, but here's my top 10 (so at least something gets up in case I can't finish reviewing all of the games):

d10-1 Familiars (7.2): Nifty abilities, animal races, good formatting, GM section
d10-2 Bremen Town Musicians (7.1): Animals, old age, interesting character choices, middle-d6 mechanic.
d10-3 Naked In Space (7.0): Skills, talents, gear, cheese, ham, genre support, thanked me! 18p.
d10-4 Retrospect (6.9): Well formatted, well illustrated, strong GM aids.
d10-5 Watchmen (6.8): Thematic, good rules, well-formatted, needs MORE!
d10-6 And Other Stories... (6.7): Narrative, competitive, psycological influence, everyone takes turns as the protagonist, needs more examples of how the rules work.
d10-7 Gym Tanning Laundry (6.6): Weird idea, executed well. Time matrix!
d10-8 Third War of Tyrathia (6.5): Great mechanics and layout, good old-fashioned fantasy.
d10-9 Uncertain Worlds (6.4): Lovely idea, great layout and use of color and fontspace, needs more fleshing out.
d10-1d10-0 Against the Darkness (6.1): Fight/flight, animals, rules confusing to read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Donohue
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I had the first six, albeit in the wrong order. After that things went pretty wonky. I did rate and rank all the games except mine. I did three categories for mechanics, layout and theme. I broke ties with page count figuring that was somewhat of a measure of effort. I then went through and made sure I liked the way the ties had been broken. I didn't want to see a game I liked better ranked lower because it had fewer pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin