Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Results thread: The results are in!

There are now files in place for all 32 of the submitted entries (three of which I've uploaded myself temporarily). As such, voting can begin!

In order to vote:

1 Download the files for each of the entries, and give them a good read.

2 Decide on what order you think the games should be ranked, from best to worst.

3 GeekMail your decision to me (quick link).

Voting algorithm

All registered users are eligible to vote. You can change your mind if you want by sending me an updated order of voting, but only if you do so before voting closes.

The contest will be decided by Single Transferable Vote. This is a voting method that is not possible (yet) using the poll functionality on this site, which is why you need to send me your votes instead. I will then count up the results in order to determine the winner.

The only information I need for your vote is a list of the games in the order that you think they should end up. You do not need to list all entries in your vote, but please list at least three entries as there are places for three winners. Listing fourth/fifth/etc. choices helps when the voting is close.

For full disclosure, I will be using the Droop quota with surplus votes reallocated through proportional allocation similar to the Gregory method.

Timeline

First deadline: Tuesday 31 August 2010

All votes received by the end of August will count towards the results.

There are lots of games to read; more than any of us thought there would be, I imagine. If I have not received at least... ooh... 35 votes by the above deadline (a little more than the number of entries) then I will extend the voting deadline. If it's close to the deadline and you still need more time, let me know (by posting here) as that may affect my decision to extend the deadline.

Questions

Please ask any questions in this thread.

The vote-counting mechanism is ideally suited to this type of contest, but is complex and so I won't be surprised if there are requests for further explanation.

I'll be away from the internet from Thursday to Monday (frivolously attending the largest LARP event in the UK calendar) so don't despair if you don't hear from me before then.

Results thread: The results are in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
You say to list them all in order. What about ties? 1-2-2-2-3-3-4, etc.?

Hypothetically speaking, if someone didn't finish reading three or four simply because they were not in his area of interest (nothing to do with quality of the work, more genre), can that someone simply not mention those in the voting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
You say to list them all in order. What about ties? 1-2-2-2-3-3-4, etc.?
The prize will be allocated to the first, second, and third placed entries, and there is no allowance for ties in that. But if you are truly ambivalent about two entries in your voting, let me know in your vote and I'll make allowance for that when I calculate the results.

sos1 wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, if someone didn't finish reading three or four simply because they were not in his area of interest (nothing to do with quality of the work, more genre), can that someone simply not mention those in the voting?
You are free not to mention games in your votes. If you don't include a game in your preferred order, then no proportion of your vote will ever count for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal E. Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
You do not need to list all entries in your vote, but please list at least three entries as there are places for three winners.
Steffan, I guess so...

I also presume that an authour cannot vote for him/herself.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:

Following consultation with my colleagues, it would be best not to post and reviews or mini-reviews, nor to rate the games, until after the voting has closed. That makes sure that people vote based on their own opinions, without outside influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio.

You may want to put a link to the 24 Hour list created by sos1 in your first post. Everyone who is a part of the 24 hour RPG already has the files, but not everyone may be able to find the links or know where to start looking.

This way, you have them an easy to look at Geek List that has all the links and such. ^_^

Now, time to start reading!

Link: 24-Hour RPGs, August 2010: the Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
ComicJam wrote:
Stelio wrote:
You do not need to list all entries in your vote, but please list at least three entries as there are places for three winners.
Steffan, I guess so...
Oh sure, those who actually read the post know the answer. I was, um, asking for the rest of us.

Quote:

Cheers!
I haven't read anything from Stelio on this issue yet. Stelio?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashok Desai
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Stelio wrote:
Following consultation with my colleagues, it would be best not to post and reviews or mini-reviews, nor to rate the games, until after the voting has closed. That makes sure that people vote based on their own opinions, without outside influence.
I think this is a good move; as such I will be compiling my thoughts and reviews on each game I manage to read in the time limit into an overall PDF file which I may make available at the end of the voting process for those who are interested enough to read it. Will there be an easy, accessible way to make files like this available on RPG Geek, in a place relevant to the competition, so that they are easily found?

-Ash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now for the hard part: The reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destriarch wrote:
I will be compiling my thoughts and reviews on each game I manage to read in the time limit into an overall PDF file which I may make available at the end of the voting process for those who are interested enough to read it. Will there be an easy, accessible way to make files like this available on RPG Geek, in a place relevant to the competition, so that they are easily found?

-Ash
Unfortunately, you can't upload a file to the Series page. If the comments are short (say three paragraphs or less for each game), the best place for them are in the Comments field under each individual game. This is found at the very bottom of the screen for an item, under "User information". Click on the + sign under "Record Information", and look for "Comments".

If they're longer, go ahead and submit reviews for each!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashok Desai
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
sos1 wrote:

Quote:

Cheers!
I haven't read anything from Stelio on this issue yet. Stelio?
He answered it in the original thread, page 8 if you want to check it out. Here's the quote:
Stelio wrote:
Whether you choose to vote for your own entry or not is up to you (but if you think it's any good, you should: you don't cast a single vote; instead you rank the submissions in order of how good you think they are relative to each other).
Mind you, I'd welcome a change of heart on the matter. As it is, I feel uncomfortable voting for myself because of personal bias, but I also feel that if I don't at least include my own game in my list I'll be putting myself at an artificial disadvantage.

-Ash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almafeta wrote:
Damn...quick, start another 24 hour session. We'll have to start writing RPG the Reading!

*ducks*

If what I get from Stelio's comments about his ranking system, any that are not put in the list simply won't statistically matter in that particular ranking. If everyone who submitted a game simply ranks all other games except their own, each game will have a single 'miss' which will give none a noticeable advantage. However, to keep from over-inflating the worth of some and denying others even a chance, I think all games should be ranked by each person. Either that or simply ask everyone to give a first, second and third rank choice only.

However, I may be making things harder by thinking this way. Either way, I don't feel that I would honestly rank my own game within the others. Most likely, I would put it at the bottom after seeing the production and design of the few games I have read so far. That's probably the internal critic in me screaming about how I should have slept less and added more to it.

*shrugs* Oh well. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destriarch wrote:

Mind you, I'd welcome a change of heart on the matter. As it is, I feel uncomfortable voting for myself because of personal bias, but I also feel that if I don't at least include my own game in my list I'll be putting myself at an artificial disadvantage.

-Ash
Well if it makes you feel any better I don't plan on voting for my own game either.

Even though it is the best!
(Just kidding)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrowe wrote:
Well if it makes you feel any better I don't plan on voting for my own game either.
That's what sock puppet accounts are for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almafeta wrote:
You think you have problems. This week is the local beer-festival. I will obviously be there (multiple times) and may also be helping out if I get myself organised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
You think you have problems. This week is the local beer-festival. I will obviously be there (multiple times) and may also be helping out if I get myself organised.
I assure you that some of these games would be enhanced by it. ;3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got past the halfway point in reading these - 17 down, 14 to go (not reading nor voting for mine).

I've been putting them in buckets - with the top bucket to get a 2nd pass read-through for final placement on the voting. So far, everything has been really a fun read and I've had 4 outstanding entries in the top bucket. It's going to be a difficult call if the 2nd half of the entries shape up the same way!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some time today, read them all, and cast my ballot. blush I couldn't stop.

Like Dave, I read them in random order. After reading the first, I said "Wow! That's really good, I might have read the best one first." In the end, that one was literally in the bottom half of my rankings. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just picking them randomly and reading them and then add them on the list and give them a place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal E. Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9 to go. I've written a short paragraph of my thoughts on each one.

It's going to be tough to rank them.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've been reading them and ranking them on a scale of 1-10 with the initial thought that doing so would help me trim down the list. So far, I have mostly 7s and 8s. So much for that plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About 2/3 of the way through. Some really good stuff here, but then I do tend to look favourably on weird indie games.

I've written a few sentences on each. Once voting's over I guess I'll explain my top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashok Desai
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Wish I could read that fast. I've only gotten through one so far.

-Ash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten through about four of the shorter ones so far, but I just haven't got the time or energy to sit and push through them at one time. Besides... I have other things wanting my attention as well, so I hope to read about four or five a day until the end. ^_^

However, what I have read has really surprised me. My inner critic is shouting even louder now. Y'all have done some amazing work out there ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Gamblin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Got through 12 of them at work last night (what can I say, it's a really easy job). Some really nice stuff. Being minutia-minded I figured out 8 areas to look at and rated each area 1 to 10. Hopefully that'll be fine-grained enough to gimme a 1st to 32nd list without me having to mentally juggle the placements myself. 1 to 10, I can handle, 1 to 32 fries my brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |