Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so we'll give BGG a go for PbP. This PbP thread should be anchored to the Agon RPG, but not the Agon RPG Item: ΑΓΩΝ

Our Player Tetrad is:
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb

Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb

Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb

Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll contact y'all individually for character generation and for a game primer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha!
Wait, should we invoke a Muse and ask for divine favor in this undertaking? Who's the Muse of RPGs? Calliope? Melpomene? Thalia?
Oof. I guess play begins.

Y'all can start this game by typing an invocation to a Muse asking for a blessing for our undertaking. Keep it at 140 characters or under. Think of this as using Twitter.com to tweet an invocation to the divine.

We'll vote on the four invocations. Nobody gets to vote on his/her own invocation. I'll cast a tiebreaker, if needed. Winner takes a free point of in-game Divine Favor (your character will begin with eight Divine Favor Points instead of seven, in other words.)
Invoke away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
O Muse,
daughter of Mnemosyne,
look upon this song
of prowess and valor.
Give it breath
on the cliffs at Delphi
till Olympians again
walk among us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Great King of the Waves!
O Earth-shaker whose will gave birth to the muses,
Hear the call of one
who would ask your strength and endurance
Let not your servant be swept away by the fell duties of life,
but grant him the time and patience to triumph in this trial
For this, mighty Sea God, shall we hold your name sacred above others
Till all are one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Calliope Clioque Melpomene May your eyes watch over us
accomplishing trials and featseven the gods dare to undertake
may our actions of worthy of song
may our character shine bright and true, a beacon in the darkness
may out blades strike true, and never in vain
and may, when we are done, ballads be composed on out honor,
so like Aeneas, and Odysseus, Achilles, and Jason,
songs will be sun in our honor.

I sing of arms, and I sing of a man, a man who.....

LOVE the opening of the Aeneid. Virgil was amazing.

(excuse the beginning, I have been restudying latin, and while I know this is a greek themed RPG, really wanted to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
I like Virgil, but as a Roman, he'll never be as cool as Homer:

Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story
of that man skilled in all ways of contending,
the wanderer, harried for years on end,
after he plundered the stronghold
on the proud height of Troy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh daughter of Zeus,
join us in a feast with Dyonisus,
Help us to write the greatest play known to mankind.
Give us the chance to see the best
Before we part to our dead.

(no idea what i'm doing here, so I just went for my favorite olympian)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agon invokes Odysseus on its title page: "What would the world be without the agon - the agonistics of one man against another - to show everyone the order of precedence among men, just as no two other things on earth are alike? How could any of us alive know quality if competition and personal combat did not let all the world know who embodies excellence and who merely manages mediocrity?"

As the quote from the science fiction novel Olympos suggests, this game's mechanics are built upon intra-group competition and social play. Look no further than your invocations to see, as players, you're among peers in terms of wit and creativity. The Tetrad is both strong and well-balanced.

But enough table talk, which Muse was most stirred to take our play to her lips and breathe life into it?

Barad_the_Dwarf invokes Calliope for a written epic. He has a better idea than he thinks.
Hida Mann invokes Poseidon, brother of Zeus and uncle to all Muses. For seaborn adventure, this seems wise.
Mease19 invokes Erato for a lyrical song, and did so under 140 characters. That's a sweet tweet.
Toggy invokes a trinity of muses (Clio, Melpomene, and Calliope,) for an historically accurate and tragic written epic. For her, there's strength in numbers.

This'll be a little like Ostrakon.
1. Vote for one player's invocation.
2. Make this vote for a player other than yourself
3. Geekmail your votes to me and I'll tally'em to keep the clutter down on the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three character seeds have sprouted.
The seed you choose and grow will determine character development in a few specific ways.

After I work out characters with each of you individually, there's a second part to character narrative development we'll call the "first blossoms of youth." It'll simulate a 12 to 14 year old's rite of adulthood and involve y'all working out characters' relationships amongst yourselves. This will include the oath swearing portion of the game.

After this, character generation will be done, and we'll move on to the game and having your heroes set sail.

As for the invocation, voting is done and all of you think well of one another's efforts. Agonistes, Marshall's invocation to Erato has stirred her to sing within us all; may we be true to her song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaime has grown a character to fourteen years of age and has completed a character sheet. The character will probably be around eighteen years old when we start, but at fourteen his character is ready for the "first blossoms of youth" mentioned above. Once our player tetrad has completed their character seeds and character sheets, we'll advance to that final phase of pre-game character development when all of you interact amongst yourselves to amass sworn oaths from one another.

For the time being, let's put Jaime's character into a contest and see how he fares. Refer to "Contests," Part III, p32-41 in Agon.

A very young man has arrived in Teleathos. His bearing and brow mark him as one of the people, but he wears rough wool clothes girded with a wolf pelt. He speaks in many barbarian tongues, but calls himself Ortes, a name of Hellas. He purports to seek his family in Teleathos, however no one knows of this family.

The colony (apoikia, ἀποικία) of Teleathos comprises a dozen villages (komai,κω̃μαι) outside its walls. Patriarchs from every komai have decided to meet and discuss what to do with this young man seeking his home in Teleathos, yet unable to locate it.

Elderly Sebastos has invited Ortes to attend the assembly (ekklesia, ἐκκλησία,) so he might argue his own value for himself as well as what Teleathos shall make of him.

Thus the goal is roughly set: Ortes is introduced to the patriarchs and asked why and how he should become of the People. For our game, Ortes needs to be recognized as one of the People of Teleathos. Jaime should roughly formulate a contest within the assembly to accomplish the goal. In Agon, Players are allowed to frame contests, which can be to their advantage (e.g. if your character is especially skilled in Orate, then you'll probably want him or her to hug it out rather than thug it out...)

As the Antagonist, I'm vested in Ortes' failure, yet if he succeeds, then I must reward success. In this case, I'll pony up .25 Geek Gold to Jaime and find a way to narrate in a transfer of a silver drachma (six oboli) to Ortes.

Jaime, it's your turn. What's Ortes' approach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Men of Teleathos, I am rough in the ways of speech, but I was raised as one of you. My fondest memories of youth were attending the annual games and watching the grace and power of the running athletes. I know the importance of the games to my people, and through my many years away, I have held close those fond memories. I tell you now that I am the equal of any man in Teleathos in a fair race and seeing me run, you will know that I am of the same blood as you.

Does that work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is just the way to proceed.
Jaime's chosen a simple Athletics contest. Ortes excels in Athletics. Jaime will roll a d8 for his Name Die and a d10 for his Athletics Die in the contest. Also, he adds a +2 modifier to Ortes' Athletics roll for his Heroic Trait, "Fleet Footed."

Sebastos speaks to the ekklesia of Teleathos: "This is well spoken enough, and are we not fond of such games as people of Hellas? Would any one among you say this is not our way, that foot races are not run for joy and for the fitness of battle?"

Lysis, a man with a well-dressed beard, rises to his feet, "Moreover we observe such games to celebrate the beauty of our well-formed youth. Let us strip Ortes of his barbaroi garb to run against our fair Hyllus. Should Ortes win, let him enter the household of a man with no sons."

Ortes is stripped by the Patriarchs and given a small measure of olive oil and a beaker of water. Swift Hyllus is summoned, but gossip of the race spreads faster than the youth can arrive from gymnasion (γυμνάσιον.)

Soon, crowds throng along the declared route. A race is afoot.

Hyllus is swift. He rolls two dice, with the results of 5 and 4.
(NOTE: For rolls, y'all can use http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/ or roll on your honor. I've no preference.)
Jaime, your roll.
Narrate Ortes' victory or defeat in the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
I get two 7's, +2 = 16. Dice love me - you should know that for the future...

Ortes was not entirely sure what was appropriate when it came to the oil. He settled on using a little all over himself. Some of the women in the crowd giggled at this, but an equal number, he noticed, looked on with desire.

He had decided on a strategy for the race; the length of it would give him time to adapt his strategy if he needed.

When the starter gave his cry, Ortes let Hyllus gain a short lead. He studied the man, gauging his stamina and speed. Hyllus was a fine athlete, but Ortes' time in the burning southern lands had hardened him to all conditions.

As the two approached the base of a hill, Ortes began to speed up. While Fair Hyllus worked to maintain his pace up the hill, to Ortes it felt like flat ground. By the time the two came down the other side, Ortes had built a commanding lead. He did not wish to embarrass his soon-to-be-clansman, so he stayed at a steady pace and allowed the race to be closer than it ought to have been.

After they had crossed the line, he embraced his opponent and called him brother. He could tell that Hyllus was not certain how to feel - he had been beaten and mayhaps he knew that Ortes had not given his best, but the crowd around him seemed in a celebratory mood. Hyllus returned Ortes' embrace and slapped him hardily on the back. Ortes had won acceptance and, he hoped, a friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This a good chance to review Agon's dice mechanics (Refer to "Rolling the Dice," Part I, p16-17 in Agon.)

Dice are not added, rather you take the highest die in a dice pool as your result. For example: Jaime rolls two sevens. The Heroic Trait, "Fleet-Footed," adds +2 to the Athletics d10 die. The result is a 7 and a 9.

To further complicate matters, Agon also takes into account margins of victory: Hyllus' highest roll was a 5 and Ortes' was 9. The difference between highest athletics rolls is four, thus TWO victories were achieved.
Multiples of four stack for additional victories. So, a difference of eight would be three victories; a difference of twelve would be a highly improbable four victories; a difference of sixteen would make you a Munchkin...
Munchkin Agon-y is available from Steve Jackson Games.

Now, back to the results of the foot race through the streets of Teleathos:
The Patriarchs offer Dismas the chance to gain a son in Ortes, thereby Ortes enters this man's household. To outfit Ortes as a victorious son of Hellas, they award him with a drachma of silver and a laurel wreath.

Who wants to go next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can manage, i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!
Let's throw together a character for ya and do a little role playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marshall's put together a character. We're conducting a combat demo via geekmail, but I'll post a digest to give y'all an idea of how it works. Combat might get a bit messy on PbP, but we'll find a work-around if need be.

Refer to Part IV "Battle" in Agon, p44-61.

Upon his fourteenth summer, Theas, son of Lukos, finds himself at one of the oars of a pentekonter (πεντηκόντορος.) A fierce storm arises at evening of his sixtieth day rowing the trading vessel. As skies darken and swells grow, Lukos spies the albescent head and neck of a cyclopean charger emerging from a giant wave, which then sinks into the wine-dark deep.

Despite a skilled captain calling to the men and a strong arm at the till, the frothy sea barrels over the boat. Cold, salty water carries Theas overboard.

He struggles to stay afloat.
NOTE: At this point, there should be a simple Athletics contest, but my two d6s both came up ones.

Violent surf propelling him, Theas miraculously lands within the walls of a steep cleft within the coastal cliffs. Crashing waves push him further into the dim confines, and he senses all is not right.

To his right and left, the hands of races long extinct and Ocean have carved narrow arcades stretching the base of the cleft walls, above the high tide mark. The spoils of storms crowd the bases of smoothly polished pillars. Wisely-cast jetsam and shattered flotsam litter the arcade, partially burying dozens of barnacle-crusted skeletons.

There doesn't appear to be much of value, but a trident of pitted bronze leans against a nearby pillar.

From the darkness staggers a bloated corpse draped in netting and wielding a rusty spathe (σπάθη.) His eye sockets emit a baleful light; he sloshes into the roiling tidal waters, advancing.

FIRST EXCHANGE
Conditions:
Large Interior, Dim Light
Starting Range:
3 (on the 8-space battle track, The Ancient Mariner starts at position 6 and Theas at position 3.)
Pick battle dice:
(We skipped this, but should have picked dice first...)
Positioning Roll:
The Ancient Mariner rolls an 8 for his highest result.
Theas rolls a d8 for Name and d6 for Athletics. He rolls a 5 and a 4, so that's a 5 for highest result. Since he had the lower roll, Theas must go first, thereby giving tactical advantage to The Ancient Mariner.
Positioning:
Theas holds his ground and forgoes movement.
The Ancient Mariner advances from position 6 to 5.
Attack/Defense:
The Ancient Mariner is out of optimal range for a sword attack, so withholds attacking since Theas appears unarmed.
Exchange 1 is over.

BREAK
Theas picks up a weapon: TRIDENT (Spear Ability; d8,d6; Range: 2)
The Ancient Mariner moans and gathers up netting to use as a shield.

SECOND EXCHANGE
Pick battle dice:
The Ancient Mariner takes netting for d8 in his left hand for defense. For offense, in his right hand, he takes Sword dice for d6 & d6, Sword Ability die for d6 and Name die for d8.
Knuckle skin tightens and splits from the dead man's grip on his spathe.
Theas takes his newly acquired Trident (d6) and his Name (d8) in his left hand for defense; for offense, in his right hand is his Trident(d8) and his Spear Ability(d8).
Positioning Roll:
The Ancient Mariner rolls d8 for his Name die and d6 for Athletics die. He rolls 6 & 3. 6 is high.
Theas rolled a 6 for Athletics and an 8 for Name. 8 is high.
Theas grabs the trident and crouches to lunge at the mariner.
Positioning:
The Ancient Mariner moves first; he advances from position 5 to 4.
Theas gives ground, backing from position 3 to position 2.
He shouts above the noisy surf, "Mariner, servant of the sea, hold your blade. Surely it is the will of the gods I be here. Poseidon's wave plucked me from an ill-fated ship and delivered me to this haven!"
Attack/Defense:
The Mariner swings dumbly with his spathe; he rolls 3, 1, 2, & 6. Theas' adroit positioning brings him outside a sword attack's optimal range, thus The Ancient Mariner's final attack result is 6 - 2 = 4.
Theas defends against the attack, rolling his Name die (d8 = 3) and for the butt of his spear (d6 = 4.) 4 is high. Ties go to the attacker, so The Ancient Mariner gains 1 victory in his attack. The Ancient Mariner opts for a +1 to his next position roll to ensure optimal attack.
With surprising quickness, The Ancient Mariner hops onto the arcade ledge when he swings, angling to box Theas into closer quarters.
Theas counterattacks with the dice in his right hand, a Trident (d8 = 8) and his spear ability (d8 = 4.) The high is 8.
Theas springs forward in a powerful lunge.
The Ancient Mariner rolls a single d8 for the netting in his left hand, rolling a 4. Theas wins by a margin of four, thereby scoring two victories. He inflicts 1 wound and gains a +1 on his next positioning roll.
Theas snags The Ancient Mariner's chest with a trident prong, tearing a glob free. He crouches for the next attack.

BREAK
No weapons are exchanged.
Theas offers truce: "Mariner, oh spirit of the sea, stay you sword. This need not end in death."
The Ancient Mariner burbles up acrid water from the Styx. His eyes burn lambent purple... like Werschabe's prose.

Battle is rejoined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THIRD EXCHANGE
Pick battle dice:
The Ancient Mariner takes netting for d8 in his left hand for defense. For offense, in his right hand, he takes Sword dice for d6 & d6, Sword Ability die for d6 and Name die for d8.
Theas picks battle dice: in his left hand is his trident (d6) and his name (d8); in his right is his trident (d8) and his spear ability(d8).
Positioning Roll:
The Ancient Mariner rolls d8 for his Name die and d6 for Athletics die. He rolls 3 & 2. The Ancient Mariner adds 1 from his attack victory for 3+1=4.
Theas rolls his name (d8 = 2) and his athletics (d6 = 3) and adds +1 for the previous victory, making a high of 3 + 1 = 4.
Positioning:
The Ancient Mariner advances to position 3.
Theas moves back to position 1.
No net change in range, however there's no more room left to retreat.
Attack/Defense:
The Ancient Mariner rolls 3,3,4,6. The wound from the previous exchange lowers the high roll by one, but only for this attack. Additionally, The Ancient Mariner is still out of optimal sword range, which means a -2 penalty. 6-1-2= 3. Theas defends with his name (d8=3) and his trident (d6=6) for a high of 6. Theas wins his defensive roll, thus will gain +1 on his next positioning roll.
Theas ripostes, rolling for the trident (d8=3) and his spear ability (d8=1) for a high of 3. Gretje, Meine Partnerin, just rolled a 1 for The Ancient Mariner's defense and asked, "Is that good?" That's one attack victory for Theas, who inflicts a wound on The Ancient Mariner.
Theas lunges wildly, catching The Mariner under jaw with the trident.

BREAK
Battle continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FOURTH EXCHANGE
Pick battle dice:
Theas picks battle dice: in his left hand is his trident (d6) and his name (d8); in his right is his trident (d8) and his spear ability(d8).
Positioning Roll:
Theas rolls his name (d8 = 3) and his athletics (d6 = 1) and adds +1 for the previous victory, making a high of 3 + 1 = 4
The Ancient Mariner rolls d8 for his Name die and d6 for Athletics die: 5,8. The Ancient Mariner wins the positioning roll. Currently, Theas is on position 1 and The Ancient Mariner is on 3.
Positioning:
Theas remains at position 1.
Eyes narrowing, Theas holds to the shifting sand and thigh-deep water, back to a raging sea...
The Ancient Mariner advances to position 2 and is within optimal sword range.
The Ancient Mariner wades deeper into the surf.
Attack/Defense:
The Mariner rolls: 4,5,3,3. The wound from the previous exchange causes a one time -1 penalty for a result of 4. Theas defends with his name (d8 = 5) and trident (d6 = 3), for a high of 5, parrying the blow.
Now deeper in the surf, Theas swings the trident over his head to try and bludgeon the mariner. Theas rolls his trident (d8 = 7) and his spear ability (d8 = 2), for a high of 7. However, the mariner has moved inside Theas's reach and so he suffers a -2 penalty for being one band outside optimal range. 7 - 2 equals a modified attack value of 5. The Ancient Mariner rolls a 4 for defense.
And The Ancient Mariner takes another wound for a total of three, which will mean a -2 penalty to his next roll (I've been using the attack roll, but this should probably be The Ancient Mariner's positioning roll. For this battle, we'll stick to the next attack.)

BREAK
Battle continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FIFTH EXCHANGE
Pick battle dice:
In his left hand, Theas takes his trident (d6) and his name (d8); in his right is his trident (d8) and his spear ability(d8).
Positioning Roll:
Currently, Theas is on position 1 and The Ancient Mariner is on 2.
The Ancient Mariner rolls d8 for his Name die and d6 for Athletics die: 1,3. He takes the 3.
Theas rolls his name (d8 = 6) and his athletics (d6 = 5,) then adds +1 for the previous victory. He totals 6 + 1 = 7 for positioning.
The Ancient Mariner loses so moves first. The Ancient Mariner remains at position 2. Theas positions next. Since he moves after the Mariner, Theas opts to move the Mariner back to position 3 on the battle track. Since the range is now 2, Theas' trident is in optimal range and The Ancient Mariner is one position out of optimal range.
Theas swings the trident over his head, driving back the Mariner.
Attack/Defense:
The Ancient Mariner attacks, rolling a 2,4,4, and 5 on his attack, but takes a -2 penalty from wounds. 5-2=3.
Theas rolls to defend, resulting in a 4 & 5.
The Ancient Mariner slices wide as he stumbles back from Theas' feint.
Attacking, Theas rolls d8 = 8 for his trident and d8 = 8 for his spear ability, giving Theas a high of 8 for the attack. [What a lucky roll!]
Theas calls down the might of Poseidon and spends a Divine Favor point for an open-ended die and adds it to the original 8. He rolls 6. 8+6=14
The Ancient Mariner defends with his netting, rolling d8 for a 5. The difference is 9. Nine means three victories, which are all converted to Wounds. The Ancient Mariner's Wound track is full. The undead seaman is defeated.

Theas, now waist deep in the surf, again raises the trident high over head. "By Poseidon's beard..." Theas invokes, "...return, you, to the delta where the Styx meets the sea." With that, Theas brings the trident down on The Ancient Mariner's gurgling skull, snapping the haft of the antique fork.

As booming thunder rolls in from behind Theas, the surf calms and recedes as if waiting to see the combat's outcome. The Ancient Mariner wobbles and drops his spathe. Taking the opportunity to move upshore, Theas rushes around the Hades-vomited retch. A moment later, a big wave smashes through the cleft to claim The Ancient Mariner. Stunned, Theas wonders at this narrow, hallow'd beach. He wonders if, indeed, this is the delta where the Styx meets the sea. Could this be where the domains of divine brothers clash?

Another two big waves crash, their cold spray snapping Theas alert. A perfectly forged trident juts out of the sand where The Ancient Mariner last stood. Its alien blue metal has an oily sheen.

In a blink the storm disappears. The crashing surf dies.

Despite all of the junk littering the arcades, Theas finds only a broken quarter of an antique gold coin. It's worth about a drachma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Step
All of you have at least a little backstory as well as game statistics for your characters. You've completed those two steps. The last step is Achievements, which you'll find on pages 28 & 29 of Agon.

Achievements are short coming-of-age tales you tell amongst yourselves to extract Oaths from one another. Oaths are a basic game mechanic. Essentially, Oaths are favors your character can call upon in times of need. To learn more about how Oaths work in play, read pages 70 & 71 in Agon.

Use the guidelines on pages 28 & 29 to set up simple contests between each other. All of your characters are from Teleathos, so they know one another. Achievements define how the characters have helped one another in their youth. Post three contests, one for each of your fellow players:

Marshall plays the Beast Master, Theas.
Jaime plays the Fleet-Footed Ortes.
Jan plays the Far-Reaching Aeneas.
Tiffany plays the Clever-Eyed Philea.

So, Marshall will propose three contests for Theas: one with Ortes, one with Aeneas, and one with Philea.
Jaime will propose contests for Ortes; Jan for Aeneas; Tiffany for Philea.
Order is not important; jump right into the contests. Post'em here.

Also, feel free to give information about your character. Reveal details that would be common knowledge on Teleathos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Ortes, called the long-lost son of Teleathas, issues these challenges:

To Theas, a challenge of Sword (or in my case, Axe)
To Aeneas, a challenge of Lore
To Philea, a challenge of Athletics

Begin your narration, worthy opponents!

What you should know: Ortes was accused of being a barbarian when he returned to Teleathus clad in wolfskin and bearing a sunburn that made him almost black-skinned. He won his heritage back through an Olympiad Race, but still quests for a family now lost to the mists of time. There is none fleeter of foot in all Teleathas and in battle, Ortes wields a mighty double-bladed axe from the northlands, yet moves like a tiger. He speaks little, but his discourse is wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
Ortes, called the long-lost son of Teleathas, issues these challenges:

To Theas, a challenge of Sword (or in my case, Axe)
To Aeneas, a challenge of Lore
To Philea, a challenge of Athletics

Begin your narration, worthy opponents!

What you should know: Ortes was accused of being a barbarian when he returned to Teleathus clad in wolfskin and bearing a sunburn that made him almost black-skinned. He won his heritage back through an Olympiad Race, but still quests for a family now lost to the mists of time. There is none fleeter of foot in all Teleathas and in battle, Ortes wields a mighty double-bladed axe from the northlands, yet moves like a tiger. He speaks little, but his discourse is wise.

Give me till I get home from work to read up on challenges, and to get my backstory done. Its been crazy (But I am about to start your bag )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theas has many friends; over the years they have saved each other's lives many times.

Worldly knowledge and lore once saved a life between Theas and Fleet-Footed Ortes and an oath was made.

In a time of famine, a hunt once saved a life among Theas and Far-Reaching Aeneas and an oath was made.

Clever-Eyed Philea and Theas were once in circumstances so dire that only grace could save a life and an oath was made.

What you should know:
Theas's family used to herd goats and tend an olive grove. Theas left unexpectedly and it was said that he joined the crew of a trader's cargo ship. When the war started, Theas returned, sea-savvy and an excellent spear-fisherman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |