Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The twenty-four hour RPG supplement contest is over for the year. With ten votes in we have our winners:

In first place, by mawilson4, The Desert Portal.

In second place, by ctimmins, Visionary of Love.

In third place, by Inkwan, The Animal Companion.

In fourth place, by sos1, The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628.

Your GeekGold rewards are in the mail. Please join me in congratulating our winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo hoo! Thanks to those who voted for me, and congrats to the top winners and frankly to ALL who entered, it was entertaining reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmbmb
Well hey, cool!

Whatever competition is run next that has a GeekGold reward will receive a hefty donation from me.

Thank you for running this, and congrats on the great work to everyone who entered. I enjoyed reading each of them.

This was an excellent proof of concept for me. I like the idea of "micro-adventures" and also don't really have time for big RPG projects (and won't for some time). This was evidence that I can make a usable adventure with maps and all in 24 hours, and gave me a template for how to structure my work. So it was very useful for me personally; thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for second but it was a fun experience. Thanks to everyone that entered and voted! Thanks double to Robbbb for running this!

I also wanted to congratulate the other winners, especially Matt. Once I saw his entry, I only had hope for second place. Thanks for sharing the template site Matt!

Edit: Mark! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
I was hoping for second but it was a fun experience. Thanks to everyone that entered and voted! Thanks double to Robbbb for running this!

I also wanted to congratulate the other winners, especially Matt. Once I saw his entry, I only had hope for second place. Thanks for sharing the template site Matt!

It's Mark, actually (but it's ok, I get Mike/Matt all the time).

But thanks! I assume you're referring to the Homebrewery; I hope you get some use out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats all! This was a nice contest!

I'm already collaborating with Shawn to refine what I entered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're sharing tools, I came across this map generator the other day (which someone posted on the BGG side of things) https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Since we're sharing tools, I came across this map generator the other day (which someone posted on the BGG side of things) https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/

Looks cool. Usually my hangup with generator tools is that I can't export in a way that will allow me to tweak using other tools. If I could start with a base map from that - for example - and load it into my map-making software to refine, it would save me tons of initial work. But interoperability tends to be low among such software.

I enjoyed monkeying with it over my lunch break, though; I have it bookmarked for future tinkering. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

this is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Looks cool. Usually my hangup with generator tools is that I can't export in a way that will allow me to tweak using other tools. If I could start with a base map from that - for example - and load it into my map-making software to refine, it would save me tons of initial work. But interoperability tends to be low among such software.

I enjoyed monkeying with it over my lunch break, though; I have it bookmarked for future tinkering. Thanks!

What about snippet pasted into Paint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
mawilson4 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Yeah, you can take a screenshot and manipulate directly with image software. But there are a bunch of layers built into that map generator so that you can generate cultures, topographical maps, etc. So you'd lose a bunch of information.

It does a nice job of quickly generating a large-scale map. My only complaint is that it's set in one scale: I couldn't quickly figure out how to change the size marker on the bottom right of the page. (In 5 minutes of fiddling with it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Right, exporting in manipulable layers (that another program could read) is the primary issue. You're right that a screencap would work for those just looking to touch it up in PS, Gimp, Paint, etc. But there's a limit to the customizability.

It looks like it can be saved as a .png (not useful for editing), .svg (potentially useful), and .map, which is probably proprietary but I'm technically unsure. So there's some possibility.

It still seems like an awesome tool (for free, no less!). I could see myself using it for sessions where I don't need to tweak it for wider use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Inkwan wrote:
mawilson4 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Yeah, you can take a screenshot and manipulate directly with image software. But there are a bunch of layers built into that map generator so that you can generate cultures, topographical maps, etc. So you'd lose a bunch of information.

It does a nice job of quickly generating a large-scale map. My only complaint is that it's set in one scale: I couldn't quickly figure out how to change the size marker on the bottom right of the page. (In 5 minutes of fiddling with it.)

I figured out that bit but it would be almost impossible to get all of the details out onto a .png file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sorry to commandeer the thread Robbbb. How many voters did we end up getting? 10? Or were there any last-minute?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
And for those who didn't place in the top four, I will tell you that I voted highly for more than one those entries, so your efforts really were appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
This map generator is amazing. Thanks for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Oh yes, agreed with the above, not a dud in the bunch! I loved the variety. If this happens again, I have new ideas as a result of a few entrants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never reveal the actual results from the voting, but I do often share a few tidbits about the voting statistics. This contest's interesting voting tidbits:

We did finish with only ten votes, which is kind of a down year. The fall contest usually picks up about three times as many votes. I would have liked to have seen more votes. Then again, I'd always like to see more votes.

Once again, no voter picked all four of the top four entries. Three voters picked three of the top four entries.

Nine of the ten entries received a first place vote. The one that did not received two 2nd place and 4 3rd place votes, which was a very high number. Only one other entry (the first place entry) had six top-3 votes.

Good contest. We'll pick it up again in the fall, when we run the 24 hour RPG contest. Look for it on October 1st!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the contest is over I'd love to get feedback from voters, participants, and random strangers: What did you like about the 24 hour supplement contest? What would you like changed? Is there something that needs fixing? Any rules that need clarifying? Should the random generator at the front be changed?

I'm interested in any and all feedback, including negative feedback, that our participants would like to lay on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I personally struggled with conceptualizing non-adventure supplements that would be "complete" and that could easily be generated from the random table you provided. It's largely why I defaulted to an adventure module. You provided a couple brief examples and I think more of those may have helped solidify it in my mind (or, in the future, links to this year's entries would likely help). As it is, the mental block didn't go away until I started reading others' supplements that incorporated the table, at which point the light bulb turned on, so to speak. Clark's in particular was revelatory in helping me see what could be done from the chart.

Not a fault of the contest at all, mind you; more a product of my ignorance than anything. But hopefully that perspective can help other first-timers in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
I never reveal the actual results from the voting, but I do often share a few tidbits about the voting statistics. This contest's interesting voting tidbits:

We did finish with only ten votes, which is kind of a down year. The fall contest usually picks up about three times as many votes. I would have liked to have seen more votes. Then again, I'd always like to see more votes.

Once again, no voter picked all four of the top four entries. Three voters picked three of the top four entries.

Nine of the ten entries received a first place vote. The one that did not received two 2nd place and 4 3rd place votes, which was a very high number. Only one other entry (the first place entry) had six top-3 votes.

Good contest. We'll pick it up again in the fall, when we run the 24 hour RPG contest. Look for it on October 1st!

Fascinating... I am guessing that The Animal Companion was the concensus candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the voting works is that it either elects a candidate who has a result greater than the Droop Quota ([# votes/5]+1) or it eliminates the candidate with the fewest number of first place votes. I've modified this a little so that when we have candidates with tied numbers of votes it works its way down the list to find the one with the fewest N place votes to eliminate.

So this entry, which got six top-three votes, was actually the first one eliminated in the voting. It's a quirk of this particular voting process. It means that first place votes matter the most when determining results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls