The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mörk Borg
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Ironsworn
Original Adventures Reincarnated 1: Into the Borderlands
Dungeons & Dragons vs. Rick and Morty
The Shadow of Golgotha B/X Edition
Princess of the Universe
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
The Quiet Year
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Death Knight's Squire: A 5E Solo Gamebook
Planar Adventures
Salt and Sacrifice
Alone Against the Tide
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
Fate of the World
Monster Manual II (AD&D 1e)
Call of Cthulhu (5th Edition)
S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
In The Labyrinth
Melee
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Volo's Guide to the North
RuneQuest Companion
Mutant: Year Zero Dice
Planet Mercenary
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
DDAL-CGB: Cloud Giant's Bargain
Coriolis: The Third Horizon
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn: Lodestar
Reign of Misrule
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 523 - June 2019)
Into the Unknown Book 4: Running the Game
A Touch of Home
The Curse Undying
Totems and Nature Spirits
Bleak World
Bleak World Enemies List
RPGPundit Presents (Issue 79)
Mites in the Woodworks
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Baby Bestiary» Forums » Reviews

Subject: System Neutral & Gorgeously Cute! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
At long last I have my physical copy of this book. I backed the kickstarter for the third printing, and my overseas address was a hassle. But still I have my book! And it is a title that I really wanted to review the physical copy.

The book is 76 pages. It is system neutral. It covers the baby (or young) forms of 32 monsters. Most of these monsters are classic fantasy ones, so we have owlbears, griffons, dragons, and a totally-not-a-beholder-no-sire! Each monster has a full page of text about its behavior as a young animal, and a full page picture of a young animal.

The drawings are gorgeous. Like absolutely stunning. They almost universally are cute, they have a strong aspect of whimsy, and they catch the creature doing something. Like the picture example of the phase kitten, it's stalking a bug, and it has its parent in the background, its a full complete picture, not just a static looking monster that a number of monster books often have. The result is art that is awesome. The art is all in a consistant style. I'm not an artist (or an art critic) but I'd call it 'sort of CGI realism'. There is a lot of detail. A lot of perfect colour that to me feels CGI. There is also a lot of detail. It's also awesome. My only other comment is that in the pictures where a humanoid is shown in the art all of the humanoids are Caucasian. There is a good gender balance. I'm not sure if stretch goals of the original kickstarter has a space for backer inclusion.

The text is good, but not quite as standout as the art. You can tell that Andreas (and his team) had a good background around animals and their training. For example the Phase Kitten becomes restless and destructive if not allowed to hunt every day. Each animal has a section of how they are whilst young, then a section on general care, then some general training comments. The comments are usually evocative and focus on the extraordinary. No routine comments on toilet training, stool inspection, and obedience training here. We have short snippets of training going bad (usually involving the animal eating the trainer), references to magical training devices (special leashes for blink dogs), and cool facts (Dragon eggs need to be breathed upon by many different dragons or their own breath weapons do not develop their full potential). One minor point i appreciate in the writing is that all weights and measurements are given twice, once in imperial, and once in metric. The writing isn't perfect, some of the information is a bit generic such as Raksasha kittens need lots of hugs and attention in their first months or they find it difficult to bond with others later. My other point is the book deals with Beast training but includes several sentient beasts (Kobolds & Gnolls admit others). There is an argument that raising these is slavery. It's one the book sidesteps which is a disservice to the topic. The beginning of the book has some general text on beast raising and training, and I think just a paragraph of discussion giving a reason would have been good. It's a hard rough topic, but if the book has Gnoll cubs.

The book itself has fantastic production values. This is an A4 sized book. Andreas made exactly the right decision not to print on demand. The paper is thick and holds the colour splendidly. The cover is thick with sections embossed. It reminds me of my Warhammer 40K codexes. I would have liked a bookmark ribbon, but that is a minor wish.

In short the book is amazing. I think that my comments seem harsh, and don't convey how cool this is. A lot of RPG stuff (and to be fair stuff in life) is 'cool idea, let down by implementation'. This is fantastic idea, terrific implementation. It's in my pile of "stuff I would rebuy if it were damaged". It's well worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Walters
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the review! I really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
DesignerAndreyus wrote:
Thanks for the review! I really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

You're welcome. It's a great book. Bestiary 2 is pretty cool too but I haven't finished reading that one yet.

Also I find it amazing how many authors there are that respond to my reviews on the geek. It makes it awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Constantius
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Let me add my love for this book and for Baby Bestiary 2. A great concept that was exceptionally well executed! Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Walters
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Im not really active on BoardGameGeek...but I'm happy to see a full review of my books and happy to know that people enjoyed it.
*special thanks for Google Alerts for picking up the review and notifying me of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.