D&D Essentials Kit
The Barber of Silverymoon
Index Card RPG Core
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
From the Mouth of Babes
Adventures in Austerion
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 524 - July 2019)
Evernight Campaign Map
Sengoku: Chanbara Roleplaying in Feudal Japan
Cthulhu Through the Ages
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Cathy's Ramblings (Issue 10 - Oct 1984)
Fateforge - Epic Tales in the World of Eana: Book 1 Adventures
Black Pudding: Heavy Helping Volume One
The Frog Prince
RuneQuest (1st Edition)
Dungeon Delve
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
James Bond 007
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Trail of Cthulhu
Iron Kingdoms Character Guide: Full Metal Fantasy, Volume 1
Man, Myth & Magic
Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era
Pagan Shore
Lord of the Rings Adventure Game
Fiasco
Mob Justice
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
Amazing Adventures: A Siege Engine Game for the Pulp Era
Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures
Rage Across the World (W20)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Barbarians of Lemuria: Mythic Edition
The End of the World: Alien Invasion
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Crypts & Things Remastered
Paranoia: Red Clearance Edition
Six Faces of Death
Dungeon Robber
The Book of Horn & Ivory
Lonely Mountain Region Guide
Cave of the Bone Dwellers
Swords & Sorceries: The Sea Demon's Gold
Cathy's Ramblings (Issue 3 - Nov 1983)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
78 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: Announcing the 2019 24 Hour RPG Supplement Contest - CONTEST ENDED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Announcing the 2019 RPG Geek 24-Hour RPG Supplement Contest! meeple

I've run the 24 hour RPG contest the last few years here on the lovely RPG Geek, home of the best geeks on the Internet. During last year's contest there was some demand for a 24 hour RPG supplement contest, which I think is a marvelous idea.

This is that contest.

Time for a 24-hour RPG supplement contest! This is a new contest, but I'm going to steal a lot from the 24 hour RPG contest.

There will be fabulous prizes for the four best entries, as voted for by the users! All entries will be added to the RPG Geek database, preserved for all time!

Pass the word around the site. Go forth and spread the word of 24 hour RPG supplements, that we may have many interesting entries.

What's it all about?

The challenge is to design and produce a role-playing game supplement in a single continuous 24 hour block of time. This is a strict time limit. As soon as you start, you have exactly 24 hours to do your work, and at the end of that time it's done and you should submit it.

There must be no advance preparation work. All of the work (designing a system, a setting, creating fiction, artwork, typesetting) must be done within the 24 hour block of time.

It must be original work. Don't use anything you've worked on previously. However, this rule gets bent a little for a supplement contest: You are encouraged to work within a prior game system. (Generic supplements are okay, however!) This means that we have to be a little careful about intellectual property concerns. It's okay to use publicly available materials to create an adventure within another game system. Fair use applies here.

It must be all your own work. You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else. The sole exceptions to this are:
that you can use public domain / Creative Commons art for your document
that you can include a small amount of public domain / Creative Commons text for mood setting only (any quoted text must be properly attributed, and must not be a substantial portion of the entry's text)
and that you may include this logo if you so desire (click on the image for higher resolutions):

(Side note: I have terrible graphic design skills so won't try. However! If someone wants to create a 24 hour RPG supplement exclusive logo, I won't look askance on the endeavor. In fact, I'll probably flip you a healthy amount of GeekGold.)

By entering the contest, you consent to having your work loaded onto RPG Geek as a downloadable file. The preferred file format is PDF, but if you have other more creative ideas then that's probably fine too. If you can't create PDFs, send your document as is to robbbbbb and he'll convert it for you.

Optional Random Theme Generator

Many people find it more interesting to work under an additional thematic constraint; often this helps spark creativity, or to give you direction in which to initialise your thinking. This table has been updated with an additional column specifically for the supplement contest: A Type of Supplement column!

The tables below are optional. Use them as you like. You may want to roll once on each, or to pick from one and roll on another. Perhaps you might roll multiple times on a table, or not at all. You may indeed roll and decide you don't like what you get and discard it or re-roll. It's all up to you.

I've deliberately kept the entries rather vague so that they may be interpreted in multiple different ways. For example Craftsmen / Illumination / 19th Century may inspire you to write about steampunk inventors in the Wild West, Victorian wizards seeking arcane knowledge through esoteric means, or samurai achieving illumination through swordplay in the Tokugawa shogunate.

d20
Focus
Animals
Artists
Businessmen
Children
Craftsmen
Criminals
Families
Leaders
Objects
Outcasts
Places
Rulers
Scholars
Servants
Soldiers
Strangers
The Dead
The Religious
Travellers
Visionaries
Theme
Absolution
Apotheosis
Desire
Despair
Disaster
Duty
Faith
Glory
Greed
Hate
Honour
Hope
Illumination
Loss
Love
Madness
Power
Revenge
Terror
Wrath
Period
Weird
Fantastic
Mythic
Stone Age
Bronze Age
Iron Age
Classical
5th - 10th Century
11th - 13th Century
14th - 15th Century
16th - 17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
1st half of 20th Century
2nd half of 20th Century
Present
Near Future
Far Future
Extreme Future
Time-Travelling
Supplement Type
Adventure
Adventure
Adventure
Adventure
Adventure
Adventure Location
Adventure Location
Character Options
Character Options
Equipment List
Equipment List
Optional Rules Module
Optional Rules Module
Random Encounters
Random Encounters
Setting Region
Solitaire Adventure
Solitaire Adventure
Traveling Encounter
Vehicle Description

(I'll take suggestions for updating the random table list. That's a first pass of mine.)

Why would I subject myself to this?

It's fun! It's an interesting challenge, and you're constrained to the same limits as everyone else. The time limit also ensures that you don't have to spend too much of your time on the project if you have a busy lifestyle.

There are also PRIZES for the top four winning entries, as voted for by you, the users of this site. The initial prize fund is 100 bag from my own earnings which will be split amongst the winners thusly:
40 for first place
30 for second place
20 for third place
10 for fourth place
All tips to this post will be added to the prize fund, with the prizes remaining in proportion (so 40% of the collected pot will go to the first placed winner, 30% to the second placed winner, 20% to the third placed winner, and 10% to the fourth placed winner).

Check the first reply to this post for the latest update on the prize fund.

Further, all entrants will receive the perk of being added to the database as RPG designers and producers, with all that entails (including the option to wear a "GAME DESIGNER" badge!)

robbbbbb will also pass on to the relevant entrants all bag gained for adding the game information to the database (typically 7 in total for the RPG and item submission, 1 for a new designer, and 1 each for relevant images).

If we get someone to help Robb with the microbadge, then all entrants (and Robb for running the contest) will further receive an exclusive microbadge. This is available solely through this particular contest. Any future contests run here will have their own unique microbadges. Collect the set! (Anyone want to take on Microbadge creation?)

Timescales

The contest is open for entries through to Monday, May 13th, 2019. Send your completed entry by e-mail to robbbbbb at rminnema@yahoo.com. I'll hang on to them until the end of the entry period.

All entries received before the end of 13 May will be valid for entry into the contest, regardless of whether they have been fully completed or not (we appreciate that 24 hours is a very short space of time to create a full RPG supplement). That gives you six full weekends to find the time.

When the entry period has closed, I'll create database objects for all the entries and ask the designers to upload their files to the appropriate entry for other users to access. If any designer has not uploaded their file within a couple of days, I'll upload it myself (so that the voting doesn't get delayed) but will delete my upload if the designer eventually does get around to uploading it themselves.

Then when they've all been checked and sorted, the entries will be announced to everyone and I'll set up a poll for voting. The poll will use a single transferable vote system (which, briefly, means that you rank the entries in order of preference which makes choosing a top three more representative).

Voting will be open for roughly three weeks, after which the results will be announced and the prizes distributed! Party on!

After the contest, you may decide that you want to take your work, polish it up, and make it into something greater. Go ahead! We'd love this contest to inspire you to design.

Eligibility for Entry

All registered users of the site are eligible to enter the contest, unless they are running the contest (so that's everyone except me then).

If you're not a user yet, but you'd like to enter, then sign up for an account! It's free and we don't ask any awkward questions! We're very friendly to new users, whether this is your first time here or you've been lurking for years.

Please: only one entry per person. If you're mad enough to make more than one, let me know which you would like to be considered for the competition.

For details of previous competitions, and all of the entries that were created, see:

2018 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2017 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2016 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2010 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2011 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs / 2011 RPG Geek 48 Hour RPGs
2012 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2013 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs / 2013 RPG Geek 48 Hour RPGs
2014 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2015 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs

Good luck. And may The Force be with you.

(This is the first time I'm running this contest. I reserve the right to make updates to this post as we refine it further, and will note in the thread when I do make updates.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Announcing the 2019 24 Hour RPG Supplement Contest
Total entries received: 8

Dragons and Six-Shooters, a supplement for Yes, Sir! by Mixula
Explorer's Quarterly, a supplement for Darker Continent RPG by Spleen23
After þe Haunt, a supplement for þe Specter by adularia25
Visionary of Love, a supplement for Blood & Bronze by ctimmins
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628, a supplement for Fudge by sos1
The Desert Portal, a supplement for Beyond Bightwater by mawilson4
Korlok, Stock, and Barrel, a supplement for Korlok by sdonohue
The Animal Companion, a generic fantasy supplement by Inkwan

Current prize fund: 3200 bag

1280 geekgold for 1st place
960 geekgold for 2nd place
640 geekgold for 3rd place
320 geekgold for 4th place

Tippers, in order of awesomeness:
1000 from sdonohue
500 from Munkwunk
333 from tdphillips
300 from carlc
163 from andyl
159 from robbbbbb
125 from sos1
123 from Mixula
105 from fredmanson
100 from Badger242
50 from Mulligans
50 from Siren
50 from Vaklam
40 from Birmy
40 from mawilson4
20 from Bifford
1 from Inkwan

41 from submissions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not promising anything, yet I am rolling!

Focus 1d20 = (1) = 1 = Animals
Theme 1d20 = (1) = 1 = Absolution
Period 1d20 = (2) = 2 = Fantastic
Type 1d20 = (12) = 12 = Optional Rules Module

Oh! That would stretch me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1440653. Quaid Slauson
  • 1d20 =
  • (1) =
  • Focus
  • Mon Apr 1, 2019 6:15 pm
  • [+]
  • 1440654. Quaid Slauson
  • 1d20 =
  • (1) =
  • Theme
  • Mon Apr 1, 2019 6:16 pm
  • [+]
  • 1440655. Quaid Slauson
  • 1d20 =
  • (2) =
  • Period
  • Mon Apr 1, 2019 6:16 pm
  • [+]
  • 1440656. Quaid Slauson
  • 1d20 =
  • (12) =
  • Type
  • Mon Apr 1, 2019 6:17 pm
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome idea! I definitely want to enter this one.

If I understand the rules, where it says 12 November should be 13 May? A very small thing, but you did ask for commentary on the rules, hahah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
landovers wrote:
Awesome idea! I definitely want to enter this one.

If I understand the rules, where it says 12 November should be 13 May? A very small thing, but you did ask for commentary on the rules, hahah.

This is what happens when I cut-and-paste and don't pay attention to quality control. Fixed. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is welcome to use Fudge as a system, and in fact I'll reward anyone who does with some Geek Gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Anyone is welcome to use any of my previous entries.

Am I right in thinking I'm okay to produce a supplement for one of my own previous 24 Hour RPGs?

If I ask and receive permission, could I write a supplement for someone else's previous entry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
If I can carve out a day to do this, I'll roll from the table at that point. Cheers on the contest, though; have fun to any who enter/judge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
Anyone is welcome to use any of my previous entries.

Am I right in thinking I'm okay to produce a supplement for one of my own previous 24 Hour RPGs?

Yes!

Quote:
If I ask and receive permission, could I write a supplement for someone else's previous entry?

Yes! While I think it's polite to receive permission, I don't think it's strictly necessary, either, purely from an intellectual-property law perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to try and get an entry in for this. After all, I normally write most of my adventures in less than 24 hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
My time starts now: 12:00 3rd April Finnish Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixula wrote:
My time starts now: 12:00 3rd April Finnish Time.

... and ends at 20:28 3rd April Finnish Time. That's almost exactly eight and a half hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This gives me a good excuse to revisit The Demons of Austerlitz and write up a few new things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And our first entry is in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It literally just dawned on me that this could be an adventure. My brain was stuck on - say - random tables, which are cool but not necessarily what I want to do. Of course, adventures likely take longer to make...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
It literally just dawned on me that this could be an adventure. My brain was stuck on - say - random tables, which are cool but not necessarily what I want to do. Of course, adventures likely take longer to make...

Maybe we'll see some adventures that are truly playable within a one-shot timeframe! I'd like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
landovers wrote:
mawilson4 wrote:

Maybe we'll see some adventures that are truly playable within a one-shot timeframe! I'd like that.

No joke. I'm specifically not thinking too hard about this though, for exactly that reason. I'll end up biting off more than I can chew and submitting, like, 30% of an adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I already have an idea for what I'm going to do, but rolling is so much fun!

First Roll: 4d20 = (1 + 15 + 20 + 4) = 40 Animals + Love + Time-Travelling + Adventure
Ah, this is very close to what I had in mind! If you substitute Duty for Love and 5th - 10th Century for Time-Travelling.

Second Roll: 4d20 = (12 + 11 + 15 + 20) = 58 Rulers + Honour + 2nd half of 20th Century + Vehicle Description

Third Roll: 4d20 = (14 + 3 + 9 + 7) = 33 Servants + Desire + 11th - 13th Century + Adventure Location

Both those other rolls are interesting, but not as interesting as what I think I'm going to make. Now I need to find time to write it up... since I'm currently suffering from a cold graced to me by my coworkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1443213. adularia25
  • 4d20 =
  • (1 + 15 + 20 + 4) =
  • First Roll:
  • Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:13 am
  • [+]
  • 1443214. adularia25
  • 4d20 =
  • (12 + 11 + 15 + 20) =
  • Second Roll:
  • Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:14 am
  • [+]
  • 1443215. adularia25
  • 4d20 =
  • (14 + 3 + 9 + 7) =
  • Third Roll:
  • Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:14 am
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Both those other rolls are interesting, but not as interesting as what I think I'm going to make. Now I need to find time to write it up... since I'm currently suffering from a cold graced to me by my coworkers.

If you've got a cold, then you're home from work and have time to bang away on it. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

If you've got a cold, then you're home from work and have time to bang away on it. Right?

Hahaha, I have no sick days being a contractor and all, so no, I'm at work today. And yesterday I was too sick to move, much less create anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Hahaha, I have no sick days being a contractor and all, so no, I'm at work today. And yesterday I was too sick to move, much less create anything.

Now that I work at a place with generous sick leave policies I've discovered a couple of things:

(1) Encouraging people to come into work sick just gets more people sick and reduces productivity across the board.

(2) If you're generous with sick leave policies and make ways for people to work from home, they'll work from home while they're sick.

Ultimately, encouraging people to work sick is a losing proposition.

Get well soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
(1) Encouraging people to come into work sick just gets more people sick and reduces productivity across the board.

So true! That's how I got sick in the first place!

robbbbbb wrote:
(2) If you're generous with sick leave policies and make ways for people to work from home, they'll work from home while they're sick.

Yup, unfortunately, it's also crunch time, so we need to be at work to get everything done...

robbbbbb wrote:
Get well soon.

Thanks! I hope that from all the rest I got this weekend, I'll be able to kick this cold in half the time it usually takes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, I think I'll be able to do this. Just need to find some time.

For inspiration:
1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 = (15) + (2) + (19) + (4) = 40

- Soldiers
- Apotheosis
- Extreme Future
- Adventure

Now that is probably the best roll I've had on one of these charts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1443874. vialick
  • 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 =
  • (15) + (2) + (19) + (4) =
  • Tue Apr 9, 2019 3:53 pm
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might actually try this. I'm gming a Cats PbF currently, so I might go ahead and write an adventure or some other supplement for that. I feel like it needs a few to give people a nudge with the system anyway.
4d20 = (15 + 10 + 5 + 10) = 40
Nah...not the inspiration I was going for. Though a solitaire adventure might be fun. Hmmm to think just a bit before I start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1444244. Dimmendarkgirl
  • 4d20 =
  • (15 + 10 + 5 + 10) =
  • Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:32 am
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.