Popular Tags: PbF_started_2019 [+] [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Microbadge: DreamerMicrobadge: Invisible Sky Fairies - Gaming invisibly since forever.Microbadge: The winter of VGGMicrobadge: I Love FogMicrobadge: 2017 Winter Wonderland Adventure Design contest participant
Greetings my dear enemies! I am Zantford Custard Ronimous and I have invited you here today for a special reason!

As you well know, too long has this world been unconquered. Sure, we have set up our labs in various locations and slaved away over our work, but what if the world did the work for us? Just think of how much time we would have to focus on inventions when everyone was doing our bidding!

Sounds delightful, does it not? But oh! I am forgetting myself, who are all of you? No, not you, my minion, I'm only interested in the Masterminds in the room.

No need to introduce your minions, or your special powers. Just who you are, because frankly, with all my plans for world domination, I simply can't be bothered to remember who you are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2019 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest VolunteerMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan
They say I am called Centenarian Smyth. So they say. It is said. So.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Microbadge: DreamerMicrobadge: Invisible Sky Fairies - Gaming invisibly since forever.Microbadge: The winter of VGGMicrobadge: I Love FogMicrobadge: 2017 Winter Wonderland Adventure Design contest participant
Come now, no need to be shy. I know there are more of you here.

Oh! I bet you think OOC means out-of-character. Hah, not for this game! Why, we are mad scientists after all, we need to buck the trends a bit.

For this glorious game OOC means out-of-combat. This is where we mad scientists ask questions, decide which devices to make next, and relax between fights- fights which shall take place in the IC (in-combat) thread. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Platinum ParticipantMicrobadge: I love RPG Geek play by forum games!Microbadge: Level 07 RPGG posterMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Well, now that I’ve been called out from the shadows, I’ll introduce myself. Kermit Ignacious Tolbert.

I’d prefer to go back to the darkness now, if you don’t mind, so that I might brood a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad you say? World domination you say? No, no, no, not me.
I'm not mad. And I don't need to dominate anyone. I'm just very good at what I do. I am highly educated and have lots of life experience. Through these I have come up with a plan to SAVE the world... from itself.

Okay, if after that people want to honor me, I guess that's okay.

I just hope we can convince all those critical people. I know they are less educated... less smart... maybe you could even call them lower lifeforms, but they might slow these planetsaving plans down seriously. So if needed we might have to overrule them a bit.

What? You don't know my name? Seriously? Huh.. you're sure this is a meeting of Masterminds?

Well I'm Gaïa! A name I adopted when I first thought out my plans, after the planet I'm going to save.

Yes one name, only Gaïa. Like so many great and powerful people, one name is enough.

So.... Who's with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
So sorry about the slow posts, I've been at a convention all week... I promise I'll post faster next week!

Yes, yes, wonderful, we are all here! But... you did remember to bring your minions, right?

So now we get to introduce our minions!

Speaking of which, where is she... ah! There - hello Skerolt. She's an alien from another galaxy sent to study life here, or so she claims. Really, I think she just loves to eat anchovy and asparagus pizza and can't find it anywhere else, am I right? Oh, it's not that she can't talk, it's that she is always listening to something - those dratted earbuds are so hard to see under all her sentient hair (don't get too close - it really does have a mind of its own!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Play-by-Forum - Platinum ParticipantMicrobadge: I love RPG Geek play by forum games!Microbadge: Level 07 RPGG posterMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Distrubing me again? What a bother...and there's so much light out. I truly do prefer the night.

This is my minion, Igor. He tends to my business during daylight hours. Guards the place. Sees to things. Maybe you can bother him the next time instead of me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2019 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest VolunteerMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan
I would like to introduce you to Ferd. Fred only appears to be a string-drawn wooden pull-toy. Risk averse, he carries still more bits of string wound in an endless snarl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is mister Omni, my PR manager and all-round helper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Excellent! Most excellent, no one forgot their minions! I mean, we really can't go into combat without them, as you will see.

But before I explain the combat, perhaps we should describe a tool from our arsenal that makes us special. You know, a device that is an exemplar of what kind of work you do - and, for all intents and purposes, a potential starting weapon when we do get around to exchanging blows.

I happen to have my trusty x9000-Master Whisk for whipping cream and beating eggs. It is made of titaniluminum - so deceptively strong and delightfully light!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
Well. I never go anywhere without my plant press — stacks and stacks of blotting paper bound between wooden frames and cinched tight by means of woven straps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ah, you haven't seen it yet? I'm quite proud of it, I must say. The Tolbert's Teeny Transmogrifier is my latest invention. It transmogrifies all kinds of things, but only things that are teeny. But you have to admit, it's quite portable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have my weathergun, one of my own inventions. This gives me the ability to bring water where there is drought, or sun where there's too much water. I just wouldn't recommend to come too close when it's on...
I even thought to bring the freaky weather module. I hardly ever use it in daily life, but who knows when it'll be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Good, good!

Now decisions... would you like to learn how combat works? Or would you prefer to create more quality tools which we will be using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Combat first seems like it might help inform the rest of the tool creation? I'm good with whichever, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
My minion and I have no opinion. So either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Then before we get to the fun part of giving everyone unwanted items to be used to take over the world from our defunct collections...

The rules of combat! And why they matter!

We are gathered here to complete our 3-Step Plan to conquer the world. Which means that each Mastermind is trying to win three turns of combat - one for each step in their plan.

Each turn of combat is between just two of us, one Mastermind, who is the spotlight character of the turn, and their Nemesis.

Worry not, I shall provide the order of combat, who is fighting whom. The game is played in three rounds where each of us gets to be the lead Mastermind once during a round. The game is over when each Mastermind has had 3 attempts at their plan to conquer the world. The winner is the Mastermind who successfully completes all three steps of their plan - or if none of us do, the Mastermind who has completed the most steps. There are also rules for ties.

Ah, but what about all the other players? What do they do during these fights?

Well, that is where the Minions come in. Anyone who isn't playing the Mastermind or the Nemesis plays a Minion. Minions want tools for their toolbelt. In fact, at the end of the game, the Minion who has collected the most tools graduate up to Mastermind status! So there are two potential winners of this game!

Minions only get a tool if the person they give their support to wins. This can be either the Mastermind or the Nemesis.

EXAMPLE OF PLAY:

On their turn, the Mastermind explains their brilliant plan using one of their items, like so:

"I shall infect all the breakfasts in the world with my High-Frequency Radio Silverware turning all cereal-eaters and bagel-spreaders into brainwashed slaves for my master plan!"

The Mastermind rolls 4dF like so:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
4dF -> ( +1 +1 +1 +0) -> + 3
Yes, there is a reason the roll is hidden - it is so the Minions and the Nemesis do not know how well the Mastermind did. No one should look at this roll until after the Nemesis and Minions have posted.

Then they sweeten the deal by offering something to entire the minions to vote for them.

"Any minion who throws in their support will gain this limited edition Laser Decoder Ring which can cut through any metal to free them if they are trapped."

After the Mastermind is done with their post, their Nemesis posts how they will counter the Mastermind's plan.

"I shall install Aluminum Dampening Shades in all buildings in the world to block the High-Frequency Radio waves required for their silly plan!"

Then their Nemesis rolls 4dF to counter their plans.
4dF -> ( +1 -1 +0 +1) -> + 1

"Any minion who throws in their support will gain this limited edition Fluffy Robotic Caterpiller which can spy on their enemies."

Then the Minions get to say who they are helping, and they use a tool from their toolbox to help out:

I, Shangle McJingle, will aid the Mastermind by using my Plastisteel Dishes to aid during breakfast! They dishes are prefect for amplifying the radio waves!

I, Pericle the Persistent , will use my Radiation Laced Paint to aid the Nemesis by painting the exterior shutters on houses and apartments to corrupt the radio waves by adding radiation to the mix.

The Mastermind gets +3 from their roll, and +1 for Shangle helping them.
The Nemesis gets +1 from their roll, and +1 from Pericle helping them.

In this example the Mastermind wins! They have completed their first step towards World Domination!

And Shangle gains the Laser Decoder Ring which they add to their toolbox.

Does this all make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1442879. adularia25
  • 4dF =
  • ( +1 +1 +1 +0) =
  • + 3
  • Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:24 pm
  • [+]
  • 1442880. adularia25
  • 4dF =
  • ( +1 -1 +0 +1) =
  • + 1
  • Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:26 pm
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
*glaring out from beneath a black umbrella*

Why yes. It certainly does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Puh, easy as one, two, three. But then again there's a reason why I'm the Mastermind."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
Yep, yep. Does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Excellent! Though I'd expect nothing less from our elite group.

Now we create items for everyone! And yes, this means creating a second item for yourself, since there are only 4 of us, and we need 5 Quality Tools before the start of combat! And remember, these are items that would make sense for who we are.

Oh, this part is so much fun!

Zantford Custard Ronimous: A Malfunctioning Easy-Bake Oven
Centenarian Smyth: 500 Adhesive Ceramic Masks
Kermit Ignacious Tolbert: Shadow Machine XL-500
Gaïa: 75 Vials of Preying Mantis Pheromones

We just get to create the name of said items... how they are used or what they can do is entirely up to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
Centenarian Smyth: A Sentient Roll-Top Desk
Kermit Ignacious Tolbert: Twelve Pocket-Weevils
Gaïa: The Cap to a Malfunctioning Radiator
Zantford Custard Ronimous: Unspecified Half of a Pantomime Horse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Zantford Custard Ronimous: Asparagus-flavored Ray-Gun
Centenarian Smyth: Singing quill pen and inkwell
Kermit Ignacious Tolbert: Flock of ill-tempered ravens
Gaïa: Swiss-army umbrella
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zantford Custard Ronimous: Set of potion ingredients
Centenarian Smyth: Longlasting noise-canceler
Kermit Ignacious Tolbert: Suit of the invisible man
Gaïa: Intelligent multi-functional Printer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Most excellent! So to recap, our quality tools:

Zantford Custard Ronimous:
x9000-Master Whisk
A Malfunctioning Easy-Bake Oven
Unspecified Half of a Pantomime Horse
Asparagus-flavored Ray-Gun
Set of potion ingredients

Centenarian Smyth:
Plant press
500 Adhesive Ceramic Masks
A Sentient Roll-Top Desk
Singing quill pen and inkwell