Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Tome of Mysteries
The Animal Companion
Beyond Bightwater
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Land of Og
In The Labyrinth
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Arrowflight (1st Edition)
Night's Edge
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
The Wealthy Literary Connoisseur Has Stepped Out Of The Room While You
Fate Core System
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
The Sundered Land
Whisper & Venom
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Spellbook Cards: Elemental
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
Curse of Strahd
Volo's Guide to Monsters
CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer
Alien Archive
Starfinder #001: Incident at Absalom Station
Tomb of Annihilation
PROJECT: Borg
Starfinder #007: The Reach of Empire
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Starfinder Beginner Box
Protostar Mission Guide
The House of Torment
Battles Beyond The Sea
Deadly Stowaway
Aboard the Osmorton
Oceanic Options (5E)
Treasures of the Sea
Seafarer's Supplement
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Power Behind the Throne
Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All
James Bond 007
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Bad Light» Forums » Reviews

Subject: An actual 8 page site based adventure! By Wizards! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a surprisingly good site based adventure in 8 pages. Including stat blocks for 3.0 (I think 3.0, could be 3.5). It is an 8 page pdf, and doesn't seem to have the OGL.

The crux of the adventure is that a lonely lighthouse has been taken over by a hag and some goblins. They have lit another fire down the coast, let ships crash into the reef and loot the boats. Trade season is about to start in force so the lighthouse needs to be made safe.

What makes it so good? Well there are a number of things:
The background is brief. We don't get the hag's backstory, or the goblins, and what we get of the lighthouse is play relevant (predominantly explaining why it is in the wilderness and there isn't a militia dealing with it)
The adventure actually considers several main solutions: the adventurers camping out on the fake lighthouse, or just killing everything (likely), or dealing with factions.
Factions make the other point. There are two factions, the hag and the goblins. They both have a mutual goal (wealth) and are both needed for the plan, but they both would like to get rid of each other. And there are into hooks given that might get this across to the player such as the hag disguising herself and playing the party off against the goblins.
The original rooms of the lighthouse are listed in table form, with the current occupants/descriptions taking up the actual information about the room.

There is probably a two hour session here. More if the party take there time getting to the area. But for that it's a remarkably solid module, which is generic enough it could be adapted to any edition of D&D with a monster manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Look, I told you I don't use overtext, okay?
mbmbmbmbmb
DM's Guild has this listed as 3.5. Any idea what the provenance of this adventure is? The indicia says it's from 2004.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Birmy wrote:
Any idea what the provenance of this adventure is? The indicia says it's from 2004.

It was released as a freebie on the WotC site; the archival URL for it is

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20040731a

And per that page, it's definitely for D&D v.3.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
WotC released a lot of these smaller adventures as freebies during the early 3.5 period. They share a similar format/appearance. Most of 'em are still available but sometimes you gotta dig.

Wizards of the Coast - Free Adventure Downloads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
WotC released a lot of these smaller adventures as freebies during the early 3.5 period. They share a similar format/appearance. Most of 'em are still available but sometimes you gotta dig.

Wizards of the Coast - Free Adventure Downloads

I based my probability on the front cover saying "Based on the New Edition of the game designed by Jonathon Tweet". I thought it would have said "Revised Edition" if it was 3.5.

I didn't even think to check the year it was published. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.