The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
MÖRK BORG
Dungeons & Dragons vs. Rick and Morty
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
Cupcake Scouts
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Ravenloft Campaign Setting
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mythic Variations 2
Reign of Misrule
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 523 - June 2019)
RuneQuest Companion
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Death Knight's Squire: A 5E Solo Gamebook
Ironsworn
The Unseen Vaults of the Optic Experiment
The Art of War for D&D Players
Hulls and Figureheads
Into the Unknown Book 1: Characters
Into the Unknown Book 2: Playing the Game
Hex March 01: World Map Builder
A Touch of Home
Monster Manual II (AD&D 1e)
Call of Cthulhu (5th Edition)
In The Labyrinth
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
Cyberpunk 2020
2300 AD
The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Scarlet Brotherhood
Gangster!
Words of the Wise
The Wealthy Literary Connoisseur Has Stepped Out Of The Room While You
Eternal Lies
Princes of the Apocalypse
Elemental Evil Player's Companion
Curse of Strahd
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
DDAL-CGB: Cloud Giant's Bargain
Realms of Terrinoth
Original Adventures Reincarnated 1: Into the Borderlands
Salt and Sacrifice
Acquisitions Incorporated
Silent Titans
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

The Dog That Would Not Bark» Forums » Reviews

Subject: I guess people have given up on trying anymore? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge
By Jonathan Hicks
Farsight Games
Swords & Wizardry
Level: Who the fuck knows?

When a dog comes running to the players looking for attention, what dangers will they be led to?

This six page adventure has one encounter, with five ghouls. My life is a living hell.

I’m interested, lately, in lower page count adventures. In contrast to the overwritten stuff that seems to dominate the market these days I was thinking about the opposite end of the spectrum. What was G1, like, eight pages or something? And it’s one of the best things written. [And, yes Kent, it violates several of the things I judge on and could be written better.] I’ve been a little intrigued lately by the idea of a lower page count adventure with a higher density of rooms. Alongside that is some thinking about pricing and inflation, again influenced by G1. If you got something really good in six pages, or adequate, what’s a fair price for that? Ain’t nobody gonna make any money doing this shit, so it’s a kind of academic question at this point, but interesting nonetheless. Finally, just how hard is it to make an adventure for publication? How much effort is it to get something short, dense, and at least adequate in a form that other people can use?

With this in mind I selected the Dog That Would Not Bark for a review. Six pages fits the model of what I’m looking for! And $1! Alas, it’s actually a six page Sidetrek featuring one encounter. The blurb says it’s an “adventure.” It’s not an adventure, it’s an encounter. The blurb has no level listed. Five ghouls … what is that, level 2 or 3?

An agitated dog runs up barking, making no sound. He wants you to follow him to a ruin nearby. Inside are five ghouls about to eat two little kids. ADVENTURE! Wonder! VALUE! Population: you.

Six pages for this shit. Oh! Oh! “If the party did well then you can put a magic item in the treasure by rolling on the table in the core book.” This is how you write an adventure?

Yeah, the soundless bark is interesting. As is the ghouls about to eat the kids. And the kids say the dog is actually their uncle turned in to a dog by a wizard. But come on man, six pages? Seriously? There are dungeon with fifty or sixty rooms that come in six pages. That pack this much adventure in to a decent percentage of their rooms.

What a world. What a world. Time to try and find another example to support my thesis and ignore this ever existed. Sometimes science is about conviction.

This is $1 at DriveThru. The preview is but two page long. If it were longer you’d know how much “value” you were getting and not buy it. The second page is representative of the adventure. Lots of whitespace with a couple sentences of text.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/269108/The-Dog-That-Wou...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Woof, woof, woof!

What's that? There's a new scenario on DriveThruRPG?

Woof, woof!

It's called The Dog That Would Not Bark?

Woof, woof, woof!

I should go buy it right now?

Woof, woof!

Thanks, Lassie, you've saved me again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only so many open wells that Timmy can fall in to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge
Room 8: Well Of Timmy's

Shadows cling to corners and echos reverb. This massive hall is haphazard with hundred of ragged empty pits, each with a small voice weekly crying for help: "Help me, Jim." With unclear depth, the voices will not be silenced, rescue is impossible, but any attempt will create two new wells. When the entire room merges in to a single super-massive well then Timmy can be rescued. Son of a nearby Tailor who rewards the party with a stom giant skin Girdle of Tailor Strength (+4 CHR)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryce0lynch wrote:
Well Of Timmy's

Well of Timmy's what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.