The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
MÖRK BORG
Dungeons & Dragons vs. Rick and Morty
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
Cupcake Scouts
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Ravenloft Campaign Setting
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mythic Variations 2
Reign of Misrule
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 523 - June 2019)
RuneQuest Companion
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Death Knight's Squire: A 5E Solo Gamebook
Ironsworn
The Unseen Vaults of the Optic Experiment
The Art of War for D&D Players
Hulls and Figureheads
Into the Unknown Book 1: Characters
Into the Unknown Book 2: Playing the Game
Hex March 01: World Map Builder
A Touch of Home
Monster Manual II (AD&D 1e)
Call of Cthulhu (5th Edition)
In The Labyrinth
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
Cyberpunk 2020
2300 AD
The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Scarlet Brotherhood
Gangster!
Words of the Wise
The Wealthy Literary Connoisseur Has Stepped Out Of The Room While You
Eternal Lies
Princes of the Apocalypse
Elemental Evil Player's Companion
Curse of Strahd
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
DDAL-CGB: Cloud Giant's Bargain
Realms of Terrinoth
Original Adventures Reincarnated 1: Into the Borderlands
Salt and Sacrifice
Acquisitions Incorporated
Silent Titans
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

DDAL07-03: A Day at the Races» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Dino racing! Zombie Dinosaurs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading through the adventurer league scenarios for season 7, looking at if there is material to incorporate when I (eventually) run Tomb of Annihilation.

This is a 24 page pdf. It is listed as a 2 hour adventure. Unlike the others so far it has a colour handout that shows the dino race track superimposed on a map of the city. It is designed for characters levels 1-4 but it expects an average player level of 3.

What this is is a dino race. The dino race is a relay in four parts (one for each player). And it really is an excuse to race dinosaurs. Triceratops! Pteranodons! Plesiosaurs! All cool! The rest is window dressing.

The 'plot' is someone is fixing the races. The players get a chance to bet on earlier races (and some other races and odds are shown). Then they race. Then at the end the victor celebration is interrupted by a dino attack, which clearly then shows who was fixing the race.

A few other minor points. There is a 'common as second language' NPC with a strong accent. It feels like it could become racist very quickly. Also the adventure considers that in the bedlam of dinosaurs attacking the players may try to filch the prizes of other racers. Which is a nice touch as its definitively something players would attempt.

The module contains suggestions on how to keep the race exciting. It's a little more 'gamey' than the very cool system in the core rulebook. But its clearly designed to involve the whole table. And it is more involved. So in my mind perfect for keeping on the backburner if the players first experience at the races goes exceptionally well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran this at least twice. It is Role, Roll, Combat module. You don't need much though going into this.
Part 1.I split the race and investigation scenes up. Some one mention in my group the odds are little strange but I don't bet on the dogs since they close the greyhound track. So you may want to review book making and odds. I didn't like how the race was ran. So I collected the bets. Then chose a different color die for each dino. I would roll the dice and announce the leader. Then flip back to players to do their roleplaying. And just swap back and forth.
Part 2. I allowed the group to attack other npcs during the race. But only for the first two legs. The final leg of race can drag.
Part 3 You can drop the fight in interest of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.