Soth» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Great Lovecraftian One-shot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Black
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I had the pleasure of playing Soth at the C.O.G.S. Gaming October Mini Con back in 2018. (www.cogs-expo.com for more information about the Steampunk Celebration in May and Gaming Mini Cons throughout the year.) I had never played or heard of Soth before this event.

As a novice with interest in H.P. Lovecraft or even just passing knowledge of cults, the game was very easy to pick up and play. Character generation was a breeze and before long we were playing. It feels like a rules-light roleplaying game. The GM has rules to follow and acenes to walk the players through, but from a player's perspective it is very much an open storytelling game. However, every action has repercussions so it becomes very strategic as you play if you don't want your cult or cultists to be exposed -- which is the goal of the game. Summon a great old one without getting caught.

Rather than waiting on this being run again, I am getting an updated version during its latest Kickstarter. It makes for a great one-shot with friends or at any gaming con. Two cultist thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls