Adventures in Austerion
The Powder Mage Roleplaying Game
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Silent Titans
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
Blue Planet Player's Guide
Sons of Liberty
D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Keeper Rulebook
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tomb of Annihilation
Hack the Planet: Cyberpunk Forged in the Dark
Lost in the Fantasy World
Bleach D20 Classless Board 5th Anniversary Special
Enemy in Shadows Companion
The Folio Black Label: The Sins of the Three Sisters
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Delve
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
James Bond 007
Vampire: The Masquerade (Revised Edition)
Iron Kingdoms Character Guide: Full Metal Fantasy, Volume 1
The Book of Mystery
The Rise of Tiamat
Princes of the Apocalypse
Storm King's Thunder
The GenIsys Tome
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
ZoneQuest
Bleach D20
American Genesis: The Orphen Project
Enemy in Shadows
La Trilogie de la Crasse
H1: Keep on the Shadowfell
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pagan Shore
Teenagers from Outer Space (2nd Edition)
Microscope
Carnage Amongst The Tribes
Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Nova Praxis
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
243 Posts
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [10] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: The 2019 RPGGeek New Player PbF Initiative - Call for GMs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie-Initiative [+] [View All]
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Againsto wrote:
My one newbie posted like once, only logs on every three or four days, and does not reply to my DM.
Awkward, since I had said that I would only run the table if I got at least one new player; then they showed up, I start the table, and they disappear again. It feels like a set-up from some other experienced player, asking a friend to sign up ("and then you can drop out again, no issue") to nudge me over the brink, tbh.

I would do a call out on the Newbie sign-up geeklist asking for a late newbie to jump in. There might well still be someone out there who missed it but doesn't want to speak up.

And be honest with the others in the game but saying about it all too.

I honestly don't think that anyone would do this to get the game running, but (as one of the players) I'd be fine with whichever road you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:
So a question for gms, I've not given players a map before but rather relied on description. The scenario I'm running now allows them to generally just explore the area at their leisure, but time is an important part of the game. Should I provide a map to push exploration or no? I don't want to ruin surprises and could edit out the labels, but it would still give them guidance as where to go. Thoughts?

Either way would be fine, I'm sure. If you're afraid of spoiling things just give them verbal descriptions and they can visualize a map.

Or maybe keep track of areas they visit and where they are in relation to each other using a geeklist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Againsto wrote:
My one newbie posted like once, only logs on every three or four days, and does not reply to my DM.
Awkward, since I had said that I would only run the table if I got at least one new player; then they showed up, I start the table, and they disappear again. It feels like a set-up from some other experienced player, asking a friend to sign up ("and then you can drop out again, no issue") to nudge me over the brink, tbh.

I would do a call out on the Newbie sign-up geeklist asking for a late newbie to jump in.

Yep, maybe you can find a newb there wandering the halls. Your game was marked as closed. Let me know if I should change that to "one spot left".

To be honest, if it were me, I'd run the game for the players that you have either way. It sounds like it would be fun and you have a great group! It is your call in the end, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

To be honest, if it were me, I'd run the game for the players that you have either way. It sounds like it would be fun and you have a great group! It is your call in the end, of course.

Ta. I think I'll juuuust keep the momentum up and move forward slowly with my three guys, two of whom are reading EVERY POST IN THIS THREA (waves). Maybe the newbie will return, maybe they won't; but inviting a new player over and having her return then would be awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:
So a question for gms, I've not given players a map before but rather relied on description. The scenario I'm running now allows them to generally just explore the area at their leisure, but time is an important part of the game. Should I provide a map to push exploration or no? I don't want to ruin surprises and could edit out the labels, but it would still give them guidance as where to go. Thoughts?

I find mentioning a countdown clock by having some other timed encounter (which isn't as important) can put players in the mindset that they can't take things at their leisure. If it was me, I'd pepper a few other countdowns and X happens into the game to get them used to the idea that the world waits for no one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of new players, I was going to run Project Ninja Panda Taco no matter who showed up to play.

I have no newbies, which is sad for the initiative, but turning out to be a lot of fun for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jatang wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
jatang wrote:
Project Ninja Taco Panda has room for 1, looks like everyone is experienced?

Yup! No newbies for me this year!
Weren't you interested in being an Orc? The barbarian, shaman and techno-wiz are unclaimed. 2019 New Player Initiative Out Of Character Thread

Yup! I was totally interested... and then work struck me like a hammer from space. I'm super happy you got another new player though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
On the subject of new players, I was going to run Project Ninja Panda Taco no matter who showed up to play.

I have no newbies, which is sad for the initiative, but turning out to be a lot of fun for me!

If I wasn't already at a full list of games running, I would totally have signed up for this one. It looked awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
N.K.Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" is awesome and fantastic.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit scared of running Gazetteer, but having lots of fun already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasri wrote:
I was a bit scared of running Gazetteer, but having lots of fun already.

Ditto for Mothership. I had started and failed with a game of Microscope a few years back. I knew I could handle Fragment, which has a particular structure and built almost entirely on creating descriptions based on die rolls until the end. An Old School horror game was another story though. As it turns out my group of newbs in Mothership is super invested. I think the game is a new addiction for all of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5e group is rolling (and everyone for both my games has arrived!). I'm super excited about this one. The module is almost as old as I am, and I've never run it before, but I think they're gonna be pretty stoked on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of my groups are just about ready to go! We've been going through the character creation process for a bit, but the Mouse Guard system works really well. It's a great way for a player to get fully invested in a character with a backstory simply by making a bunch of choices!

I'm so excited and happy about all of the players! I think 7 or 8 of the 8 are brand new to play-by-forum games. As a quick example of the awesomeness, one group had someone offer to do sketches of the characters while someone else created banners using the sketches.

Sketches by Suzana // Banners by Aaron

This is still a work in progress, yet I was amazed when I saw this. So much creativity! And I love seeing players get so interested in their characters and fellow players' characters. Now for me to get things rolling shortly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both my Cats game and 5e game are rolling. I've had to do some homeruling for Cats...but I think it is fine. It's been harder to figure out how much storytelling to let them run with verses me doing it, because it is supposed to be more collaborative. I'm flexible and can weave a tale into theirs, so I doubt that it will be a problem. It is harder doing that than being the only story-teller though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tully
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
RRRAR!!! I aaam a Monster!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had 4 of the 6 that applied make characters, so I am starting this morning.

https://rpggeek.com/article/31687860#31687860
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minister of Sinister, do you need a list of players from our games for gifting out the badges?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Minister of Sinister, do you need a list of players from our games for gifting out the badges?

I will, but please hold off until you receive a geekmail from me, which will be in the next day or two. All GMs will receive that geekmail and should submit their list via a reply to said geekmail.

Thanks!

Edit: I also need to find someone with admin powers to distribute the badges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

The geekmail for badge request info has been sent to all of you GMs, finally!

If you're running more than one game, you still only got one geekmail, so don't forget to include the players from all of your games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

Please be sure to read the entire geekmail and submit your list in the same format as my example. This may seem trivial, but it keeps me from having to retype your list for submitting to Admin. If your list doesn't arrive as requested I will kick it back to you for resubmission!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

There was a few stragglers who hadn't submitted their lists, so I just went ahead and gathered up the names for those games and submitted them for badges. If anyone got missed, please let me know. They should be handed out in the next day or two.

Hope everyone's having a good go of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're one post away from finishing Cheat Your Own Adventure! The 5e game is also going really well. Even with the initial worry about player participation, both groups have been very good about keeping up posting and engaging.

I <3 PbF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
lawingm wrote:

I <3 PbF.

Then you need this -> mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fixed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finally finishing up the game I started running for the Fall New Player PbF Initiative. shake

And we're 1/3rd done with the game I'm running for this initiative! Woo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished the game which I started for the 2019 new-player initiative. I offered the group to take them into a second adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

Congrats, Pieter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.