Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My players (all newbies) for Dead Planet are so enthusiastic and have already created some Awesome characters. They are really in the perfect frame of mind for sci-fi horror. I am very excited for both of my games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My full table of six Orcs-in-a-well is up and ready to run. I have, I believe, at least three newbies of my six. Always excited to see where they take this setup:

2019 New Player Initiative - The Orc In the Well . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like everyone has at least opened an OOC thread and some actual games have started. There are still several spaces available.

Project Ninja Taco Panda - 1
Gazetteer - up to 7
Executive Decision - up to 5
Havoc Brigade - 2

Mouse Guard even opened a second table. Counting 3 for Cthulhu Confidential, that's 27 games! That's approximately 100 new players. thumbsup

Thanks to

The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

for putting this together. I think we'll have a lot of fun. Good luck everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My threads are live, except for the IC thread for 5e. I’m really looking forward to the games I’m running and participating in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

My players have selected and named their characters and are writing some background stories for them. We'll be starting the game proper in the next day or two, most likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just launched our IC thread for Trail of Cthulhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to our GMs, especially those running multiple games!
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
To be, To question, To not- that is that be. [thread=2215651]
mbmbmbmbmb
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb

Zac Jensen
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
....IT'S JIM AND DERRICK CHITCKTCH
mbmbmbmbmb
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
...not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb

Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James Dane
Canada
Sault Ste. Marie
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Payne
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Michael Tully
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
RRRAR!!! I aaam a Monster!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay. My game is starting slowly; the one genuine new player is truly only logging on every two or three days, that makes for a leisurely pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a second NEW player for Havoc Brigade! That means all of the pre-gens will run. Not necessary, but nice. My orcs and goblins are off to a comedic start. Take a look at:
2019 Havoc Brigade IN Character Thread.

2019 Executive Decision In Character Thread is also off to an excellent start. However, there's not nearly enough drama. So, I recalled an idea from a GM on this site and they are thinking up rumors about each of the other Presidential advisors.

I hope everyone else is having as much fun as we are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 player MIA from each of my games. We’ve started Cheat Your Own Adventure. 5e game is busy making characters.

How long do you all normally give players? The 5e player hasn’t logged in since last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lawingm wrote:
1 player MIA from each of my games. We’ve started Cheat Your Own Adventure. 5e game is busy making characters.

How long do you all normally give players? The 5e player hasn’t logged in since last week.

Have you tried messaging them? Many of use forward geekmail to our e-mails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
lawingm wrote:

I would, if it were me, give them another couple days and then move on without them. That might mean they jump in later or you replace them now. That depends on the game being run, whether or not you have alternate players signed up, and your own intuition. A man named wavemotion once told me to never "chase" a lost player. That was good advice.

Have fun in the PbFs!

Edit: That's not to say you shouldn't shoot them a message. By all means, do that! I would say that maybe they forgot to subscribe to the thread, but then again if they aren't logging in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all the advice above on players gone MIA.

To begin with, we should always give the benefit of doubt to anyone gone MIA. Real life happens, and players new to the Geek will forget to login (or subscribe to your game threads) when it's not a habit.

It happened to me too, and what I typically do is:
- wait a few days
- drop a GM to the MIA player
- maybe drop a reminder in the OOC and/or the recruitment thread too
- wait another few days
- if still no response, let the other players know in OOC and/or the recruitment thread that you will be moving on
- open an invite for new players if you need a replacement
- start/continue the game with the current active players
- if one day the MIA player returns, politely inform that you will have to find a suitable point in the game to insert him/her, or even regretfully inform that the game has proceeded without him/her and it's too late but he/she can always subscribe to the forum to wait for new tables to open
- I think it's good to keep things transparent to all (and if the MIA player returns late, he/she can even see 'proof' in the OOC that you tried) so that it's fair to everyone

In a F2F game, if someone seats at a game table but excuses himself/herself to answer nature's call, we can always wait 10 minutes, but after that the table is simply going to carry on playing too (and I'd probably steal some of that missing player's gold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lawingm wrote:

I suggest posting the opening scene the same day as the motivated players in 5e have finished making characters. The important thing is not to lose momentum. If you feel charitable, you could feed the beginning to them a chunk a day so as to give him a little more time to catch up while moving the others along. We all flake somewhere in life sooner or later. (I have minimal experience as a GM so feel free to ignore me. But, I do have a lot of experience as a flake so I'm going to emphasize that momentum is important.)

I'm following your CYOA and want in on the next run. That's an easy one to drop in on later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I geek mailed both as soon as it was apparent that they hadn’t made it to any threads, just in case they didn’t sub to the signup. Still nothing from either. I myself just came off a couple month hiatus - I get it.

The 5e game can run without a 5th, though in my own first experience we lost all but me before the second encounter finished and the game died several times after we got new players. I’m hopeful that the current motivation I’m seeing from the others keeps it rolling.

I think we will keep pace and hopefully hear from them. If not, there are always more games. This is also a good reason to wait on sending out badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jatang wrote:
I suggest posting the opening scene the same day as the motivated players in 5e have finished making characters. The important thing is not to lose momentum. If you feel charitable, you could feed the beginning to them a chunk a day so as to give him a little more time to catch up while moving the others along. We all flake somewhere in life sooner or later. (I have minimal experience as a GM so feel free to ignore me. But, I do have a lot of experience as a flake so I'm going to emphasize that momentum is important.)
I'd do that too. "Don't lose momentum" will be my motto for this PbF. I'm also mostly new to PbF GMing, of course, but most successful PbFs I've been reading have a GM that works like clockwork. Player engagement fluctuates; you need to be the predictable engine that keeps things going. The feeling that the game is fizzling out is contagious; the antidote seems to be communication, transparency and coherence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
landovers wrote:

I'd do that too. "Don't lose momentum" will be my motto for this PbF. I'm also mostly new to PbF GMing, of course, but most successful PbFs I've been reading have a GM that works like clockwork. Player engagement fluctuates; you need to be the predictable engine that keeps things going. The feeling that the game is fizzling out is contagious; the antidote seems to be communication, transparency and coherence.

That'd be my experience as well. If responses are coming, keep going. Reward responses with direct interaction. Ask for simple rolls or personal choices. Some players will get stuck without an immediate response to a situation and then get lost. For 5e in particular, "roll initiative" seems to get the highest response rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales From The Loop: recruiting for a new scenario !

I am looking for players (experienced, or totally new players) for a PbF scenario of Tales From The Loop starting soon !

Number of posts per week: 2-3 including weekends.

Precise name to be determined.

If you may be interested please reply here:

https://rpggeek.com/thread/2139575/tales-loop-recruiting-new...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Recruiting players (experienced, or totally new players) for a Play by Forum adventure: The Wayword Patient, the introductory scenario of Odd Soot (2018), by FrostByte Books.

More information here:

http://www.frostbytebooks.com/odd-soot

The prerequisites are as follows:

You must be the owner of a copy of at least one of the following rules:

- Odd Soot (preferred choice: cost 15:00), but you must not look at the scenario at the end of the book !!!

- M-Space (alternate choice : cost 15:00)

You must be able to post on average once every 2-3 days (2-3 times a week), excluding significant real-life issues (contact me directly by PM if that is the case).

If you are interested, add your name on this thread:

https://rpggeek.com/thread/2113284/recruiting-play-forum-int...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So a question for gms, I've not given players a map before but rather relied on description. The scenario I'm running now allows them to generally just explore the area at their leisure, but time is an important part of the game. Should I provide a map to push exploration or no? I don't want to ruin surprises and could edit out the labels, but it would still give them guidance as where to go. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tales From The Loop

Here is the link to the OOC thread of the new scenario Winter Time:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2177373/ooc-winter-time-tal...

Please join us there !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My one newbie posted like once, only logs on every three or four days, and does not reply to my DM.
Awkward, since I had said that I would only run the table if I got at least one new player; then they showed up, I start the table, and they disappear again. It feels like a set-up from some other experienced player, asking a friend to sign up ("and then you can drop out again, no issue") to nudge me over the brink, tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:
So a question for gms, I've not given players a map before but rather relied on description. The scenario I'm running now allows them to generally just explore the area at their leisure, but time is an important part of the game. Should I provide a map to push exploration or no? I don't want to ruin surprises and could edit out the labels, but it would still give them guidance as where to go. Thoughts?

A map does help with visualizing the area. You could also just summarize their exploration periodically, listing what they've found and what areas are left to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
My one newbie posted like once, only logs on every three or four days, and does not reply to my DM.
Awkward, since I had said that I would only run the table if I got at least one new player; then they showed up, I start the table, and they disappear again. It feels like a set-up from some other experienced player, asking a friend to sign up ("and then you can drop out again, no issue") to nudge me over the brink, tbh.

Given the intent of this initiative and your stated intentions, I don't see anything wrong with cancelling the game if you don't have any new players left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:

I would do a call out on the Newbie sign-up geeklist asking for a late newbie to jump in. There might well still be someone out there who missed it but doesn't want to speak up.

And be honest with the others in the game but saying about it all too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [11] |