The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Calling all Game Masters, it's 2019 Initiative time!

Each year we muster our strength and invite new PbF players into our RPGG forums. This is usually a great success and helps to grow our community here at the best RPG site on the internet!

Now is time to continue our great tradition of inviting new people to discover what makes Play by Forum RPGs such great fun.

But, first things first!

We need GMs to run the games!

Before we can cast our nets into the sea of potential players, we need a selection of games with GMs to run them. If you would like to get involved as one of those GMs, please consider the following:

1. Hopefully, at least a few of the players in your game will be new, possibly having no prior RPG experience whatsoever. You must be willing to teach them the rules of the game without requiring them to purchase any materials or read any complicated or lengthy rules text. You might want to consider offering pre-generated, ready to play characters.

2. As we all know, PbF games can be quite lengthy. You should focus on running a short game so that the commitment level is within reason. Something that would make for a great one-shot, single session, at the table will end up taking three or four months of dedicated PbF play, possibly more! Please limit your games to that size and remember that shorter and quicker is the goal here. Again, you might want to consider offering pre-generated characters to save time.

3. Make sure that you don't overcommit yourself! It's easy to get amped up and set out to run multiple games at once. Be 100% sure that you can see it through on each and every game that you offer. Running one great game to conclusion is better than offering three games and having one or more suffer from lack of time, or even having to cut one short.

4. Players who have never played PbF here on RPGG will have first crack at the games on offer. The exception to this would be players that have joined a PbF game here on RPGG in the past, but had the game fizzle out without actually getting any "significant" PbF experience.

Do not reserve spots in your game. When the game menu is posted, each new player should have an equal chance at getting into the game that interests them.

5. You'll need to post an elevator pitch, in this thread, to advertise your game. When we are ready to launch the initiative, I will gather them up and add them to a geeklist which will serve as the "menu" for potential players. We will aim to bring in new players from BGG and VGG, as well as coaxing forth some of the lurkers here at RPGG.

To see what your elevator pitch should look like, check out this geeklist from the 2014 Initiative. Including a logo, some cool pics, and links to items in the database are all good things!

Post your pitch here, in this thread. You'll be able to edit over the course of the next 7-10 days, up until I post the geeklist of games being offered.

All GMs, as well as the players, will receive a commemorative microbadge for 2019, designed by our very own indigopotter.

Okay GMs, the call is out, will you answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This offering went smoothly and appeared well received last time out - if it ain't broke . . .

The Orc in the Well
There’s an orc sitting in a well. It can’t get out. The orc looks up at the sky. A bird flies past.

Players take turns telling this orc’s story, from different points of view - internal, external, and the past. The game covers approximately 15 minutes in the orc’s life.

Orc . . . is a game poem, a little game that you can pick up and play with no preparation time, with nothing to get between the players and the game. A game poem generally addresses some specific mood or emotion, or focuses on one particular notion. First and foremost, a game poem is just there to be taken in and experienced with a group of friends for a few moments, and then those moments are over – and hopefully, something small and wonderful is the result.

A game poem for 3 to 6 players.

[Consider this pitch finalized.]
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently running CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer for the same group that I introduced to D&D 5e last initiative. It is pretty cool. I could run it for a group of newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I am currently running CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer for the same group that I introduced to D&D 5e last initiative. It is pretty cool. I could run it for a group of newbies.

Sounds great! Go ahead and put together a pitch here when you can, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Please note that everyone who intends to run a game must post an elevator pitch in this thread! If you mention that you might run game X, but a pitch never appears here for it, I won't be adding it to the game list!

Also, doing as Avri did above and including a note to say your pitch is finalized helps a bunch!

Thanks in advance to all the GMs who step up to run a game for the newbs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but we have many days to do that, and I thought I would mention what I am considering in case it leads to a discussion on what people want to run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Sure, but we have many days to do that, and I thought I would mention what I am considering in case it leads to a discussion on what people want to run.

Yep, no worries. The above was just a general statement, in general. It usually happens once or twice each Initiative where someone has posted about their intent, not posted a pitch to follow up, and then asks why their game wasn't posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
To be, To question, To not- that is that be. [thread=2215651]
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time frame on starting? Campaign:HourglassRealm is going to start session 2 in about a month. We can have another new player initiative mini-mission then.

The twin cities of the Hourglass have always had their differences but when Althera suffers a catastrophe Dormast isn't just going to look the other way. Plus, there could be any number of ways to profit from the attempt.

Eager recruits in Dormast looking to prove themselves within their various factions are given a mission to rescue those trapped in the sister city of Althera.

The Hourglass Realm is a massive D&D 5e game with multiple GMs and at present 18 characters. The characters and players help shape the world. Unlike traditional D&D games, the parties are not fixed and characters can freely split up and join missions as desired by their character goals. Characters can even end up with conflicting objectives.

• [+] Dice rolls
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally!

Thanks, Mulligans, for running this again. Here's our pitch, yes, this game will be co-DMed, arguably for the first time (at least in a new player initiative):

Quote:
You were sitting in the Glowing Candle, an old and decrepit tavern, the only drinking place in the small village of Harmony.

As you tended to your drink, you overheard an elven female lamenting the recent death of her loved one when an accident happened and he was killed while working in the mines. "They brought Valhallaran's body home, and I'm glad for that. But he must have dropped his locket and lost his hunting bow. I only wish that someone would help me retrieve the locket, for that was a precious keepsake that we had exchanged as our promise to each other. It is something for me to mourn and remember him by..."

Arielle, one of the few elves that lived in Harmony, showed her locket and it was obvious that there was a connecting locket that matched hers - two halves that made one. She was considered beautiful even amongst elves, and although she looked young, her face carried a sorrow that was both mesmerising and melancholic.

Curious, an elderly patron of the tavern asked, "That bow, is the one that always fires true? I heard it was magical. If only I am younger, as I am too old now to venture into the mines. There are many veins, including collapsed tunnels, some which are centuries old; more danger than I care for. Plus, rumours say that there are monsters lurking in there that crave warm flesh, and miners have disappeared from time to time..." and the elderly man made a show of pinching the flesh on his bat wings, which was now flabby with age.

Arielle turned her eyes to some of you and asked, "I know it may be dangerous, but it would mean a lot to me if I regained this locket. I do not have plenty to offer, but if you find his bow too, you may keep or sell it as you will. I'm sure the bow will fetch many coins, for it is of excellent quality and elven-made. I do not know if it is magical, though it is true that with the bow, Valhallaran never missed."

This D&D 5e adventure calls for 4 - 6 heroes (level 1) to aid Arielle in recovering Valhallaran's locket.

You are not required to purchase any materials to play the game. A basic guide is available for free online, and we'll provide links to any other necessary materials. Pre-gens will also be provided, for anyone who wants to jump straight into the game.

If you'd like to play, please add a comment directly to this geeklist item indicating your interest.

The DMs (yes, you get 2 DMs for the price of 1!) who will be co-DMing this game are:

Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zac Jensen
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
....IT'S JIM AND DERRICK CHITCKTCH
mbmbmbmbmb

Note: This adventure is homebrew, and we'd like to think of it as pretty wild as adventures go. So, it is not impossible for your player character (PC) to be eaten by a giant shark or be incinerated by a fire-breathing dragon. And, as inexperienced adventurers go, many don't make it to retire in old age.
This adventure is ready to go!
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldenUrg wrote:
Any time frame on starting? Campaign:HourglassRealm is going to start session 2 in about a month. We can have another new player initiative mini-mission then.

Eager recruits in Dormast looking to prove themselves within their various factions are given a mission to rescue those trapped in the sister city of Althera.

Cool! I'd say the launch will end up being in about two weeks, but it will last at least another week. That should work perfectly to get players setup and ready by your next session, I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
taen wrote:
Finally!

Thanks, Mulligans, for running this again. Here's our pitch, yes, this game will be co-DMed, arguably for the first time (at least in a new player initiative):

Sweet! Two GMs and a Homebrew? Bonus points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Project Ninja Panda Taco

Ridiculous villains, incompetent minions, will your plot to take over the world succeed, or will it fail like last week's batch of soggy microchip tortillas?

Another Day, Another Failed Experiment
What were you thinking when you decided to make that Three-Armed Folding Bot 5000? Who really needs another Hovering Mustard Spreader? And what is up with those 900 Gelatinous Pears you created as a gag gift for a gag you've long forgotten?

But what if you could find a way to use these reject experiments? Or better yet, pawn them off on your Mad Scientist frenemies... after all one Mad Scientist's junk is another Minion's treasure!

This is a zany GM-less rules light game of using bizarre objects to take over the world! You control both a Mad Scientist and their Chief Minion during the game. The Mad Scientist uses items created cooperatively at the start for a competitive showdown of Mad Scientific prowess. And the Minions can affect the outcomes of such showdowns by having their loyalty swayed based on gifts the Mad Scientists offer.

This is a rare competitive RPG.

That said, there are two winners at the end. The Mad Scientist who conquers the world! And the Minion who graduates up to Mad Scientist by collecting the most stuff!

This game uses Fudge Dice for rolls.

No one needs to purchase the rules, as I will provide instructions for how to play at the start of the game.

This game will take 4 players. Sadly, this is a hard limit and I cannot take more than 4.
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taen wrote:
Finally!

Thanks, Mulligans, for running this again. Here's our pitch, yes, this game will be co-DMed, arguably for the first time (at least in a new player initiative): [snip]

Ach, grasshopper.
https://rpggeek.com/article/15030169#15030169

(Arguably, it's a bit different since we ended up running separate tables, but the whole set-up was a very ambitions co-DMing thing, with convergences and switches etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vault of the Devourer

A Dungeons mb Dragons 5th Edition adventure, designed by Greg Marks.

Nearly a half a millennium ago when Mulmaster was a growing fortress at the end of the North Road overlooking the River Lis, a follower of the Sorcerer-King Nesker retired into the Earthspur Mountains to build a tower and further his studies. His name lost time, he is now known only as the Tempest Mage after the extreme weather surrounding the peak that he made his home. His servants constructed a small village below, which would come to be known as Windy Valley and remains today.

The Tempest Mage studied a wide variety of magic from conjuration to constructs, but eventually succumbed to age and passed from memory. While Windy Valley remains due to the presence of a small mine, the Tower and surrounding buildings are no longer regularly inhabited. Occasional bandits or goblin tribes might lair there, but the story of the Tempest Mage also attracts young adventurers from Mulmaster who seek to test their mettle in the extensive outbuildings, crypts, and tunnels of the complex. Most believe the dungeon to be relatively played out, having been looted for five hundred years, but there remain a few levels that are yet undiscovered.

This D&D 5e adventure calls for four or five first-level heroes to mount a rescue operation in an unknown part of the tunnels below the ruins of the Tempest Mage's Tower. The adventure, which has a streak of Lovecraftian horror, was originally created as an Adventurers League module, but will be played as a regular D&D adventure.

You will not require any materials to play the game. A basic guide is available for free online. To play, you can create your own character independently, or create one under my guidance. I can provide a pre-generated character if you want, though it is a lot of fun to think about who your character is and create him or her accordingly. Only Good or Neutral characters are allowed to participate, constructed according to the Player Handbook or the basic guide (variant humans are fine).

You should be willing and able to update at least once per day, weekends excepted (though I am willing to continue playing through the weekend). You should count on the game running for two to four months, depending on how active the players are. Unavoidable absence is acceptable if announced. If you do not update in time, I will 'bot' your character in order to keep the game flowing.

I will wait for at least 24 hours after the first person signs up to award places, in order not to be biased towards certain areas of the globe. After that, the game starts as soon as it is filled up. If there are more players than places, I'll quickly find a way to make a selection.

The GM for this game is:
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

(You may consider this text final. I may tweak it a bit, but if it is copied like it is here, it works just fine.)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I'm in that group. Does that qualify us for the new MB? mb pretty please? with sugar on top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I'm in that group. Does that qualify us for the new MB? mb pretty please? with sugar on top?

I'm sorry, but no it does not. To get the new badge you have to run or play in a game from the new initiative, which hasn't even started yet. Since you already have PbF experience, you have to wait about a week from the official launch before signing up for a new game, as the Newb players get first crack at all the games on offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a rough timeline, folks.

d10-1 GM signups and elevator pitches. Now! Finalize by March 7th!

d10-2 Launch Day March 8th or 9th. Signups open to new players only!

d10-3 Signups open to all players on March 15th or 16th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it'll crash with some vacation time for me this time around. During said time I'll have a week on a cabin trip with some mates, where we among other things will try a little Starfinder thing I've been working on. If it goes well I'll definitely consider running it for some newbs here as well :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Looks like it'll crash with some vacation time for me this time around. During said time I'll have a week on a cabin trip with some mates, where we among other things will try a little Starfinder thing I've been working on. If it goes well I'll definitely consider running it for some newbs here as well

Cool! If any GMs find themselves in a similar situation, know that it is fine to list a game with the stipulation that it might not start until a week or so after signups. Just be sure to indicate that in your pitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a good time to jump in as a GameMaster! I took the plunge recently with my in-person group, and have been really excited to see what happens. My only trouble is figuring out which game might be the best one to start with in a play-by-forum setting.

I'm torn between Mouse Guard, Ryuutama, and Star Trek Adventures. I might hold off for a couple of days to see if anyone has plans to run one of them. Or maybe there are some thoughts? The latter might be the trickiest, as the rule set is pretty extensive.

In any event, I'm looking forward to participating! A huge thanks to Carrie for running the first play-by-forum game I participated in last year, and inspiring me to look into taking the leap into GameMaster territory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The night is going just like any other night. You and your companions are enjoying some fine mead and salty pork. The normal conversations are interrupted by a loud scream from the alley.

You all hop out of your chair and head to the back and out the door. Lying in the alley is a man on his back, obviously dead. Blood is all around him, but there's no one else around. Looking for a wound, the body is flipped over and pinned to the back on the man is a sealed envelope.

The barkeep gently removes the envelope and tries to rip it open. But the seal won't break. He gets his knife out, but the paper won't cut. He hands it to Captain of the militia, but the envelope won't open. Since you were the first one to look at the body, the envelope is given to you, and as soon as you touch it, the seal breaks and you feel a light breeze coming from the opening.

You sense a power from within this letter, like it was crafted with some sort of magic. Now the only thing left to do...is read the letter.

I will put this here as a reminder that we are 2 DM's doing 2 tables.

This D&D 5e adventure calls for 4 - 6 heroes (level 1) to aid in the recovery of the missing children, and the investigation of the deserted cave.

You are not required to purchase any materials to play the game. A basic guide is available for free online, and we'll provide links to any other necessary materials. Pre-gens will also be provided, for anyone who wants to jump straight into the game.

If you'd like to play, please add a comment directly to this geeklist item indicating your interest.

The DMs (yes, you get 2 DMs for the price of 1!) who will be co-DMing this game are:

Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zac Jensen
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Note: This adventure is homebrew, and we'd like to think of it as pretty wild as adventures go. So, it is not impossible for your player character (PC) to be eaten by a giant shark or be incinerated by a fire-breathing dragon. And, as inexperienced adventurers go, many don't make it to retire in old age.

Okay this is ready to go now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
Seems like a good time to jump in as a GameMaster! I took the plunge recently with my in-person group, and have been really excited to see what happens. My only trouble is figuring out which game might be the best one to start with in a play-by-forum setting.

I'm torn between Mouse Guard, Ryuutama, and Star Trek Adventures. I might hold off for a couple of days to see if anyone has plans to run one of them. Or maybe there are some thoughts? The latter might be the trickiest, as the rule set is pretty extensive.

In any event, I'm looking forward to participating! A huge thanks to Carrie for running the first play-by-forum game I participated in last year, and inspiring me to look into taking the leap into GameMaster territory!

Love to hear this!

I've never played Mouse Guard, so I'm not sure how it would translate to PbF play, but I bet it would be a big hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE RED MIST
A Cthulhu Confidential mystery scenario for 1 player

The year is 1937, and you are a bookhound -- a dealer in rare books who picks through second-hand book marts and the collections of the recently deceased looking for under-valued books. Find the right old tome or obscure misprinted edition and you can eat for a month.

When a boxer lost in a psychic labyrinth shows up at your door followed by a client in search of a mysterious book, will an ancient evil draw you into a bloody nightmare?

Cthulhu Confidential is a roleplaying game designed for one player and one game master. Together, you create a story that evokes the classic solo protagonist mystery format.

While Cthulhu Confidential is designed for a single player, I will run multiple sessions of this scenario in parallel for as many as 3 players if there is sufficient interest.

No prior system knowledge is required. Cthulhu Confidential is a very rules-light game and I will explain everything you need to know. A pre-generated character will be provided.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:

Aw, thanks for playing!

All three of those sound good. So I'm worse than useless in trying to help narrow it down! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |