Subject: Just want to thank... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you guys for handling threads that go out of hand in a decent manner. I just went to one of the popular rpg sites and was shocked to see an infraction section where they list all members who were banned. The explanation that one of the moderators gave was so horrifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
I actually prefer transparent moderation, myself. What if there was the same horrible moderation, but the horrible reasoning was private?

At least with public moderation, you can see in practice how the rules are applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, it sounds great on paper but it may be disruptive for some people reading through a thread. Personally, for me, it takes me out of the subject of the thread and now I have to deal with a warning post and my curiosity gets the better of me.

the reasoning that you can see the rules applied in practice is not the real reason IMO. Some people think it entertaining to watch the train wreck. Most of us can't take our eyes off it even if we want to.

Second, it has a lot to do with respect. Respect between members and moderators/administrators. Public rebuke can be humiliating for the person accused of the infraction, especially if the moderator is talking down to the accused. Dealing with infraction in a respectable manner is good for the site. You want new members but you also want to retain current members. You don't want to drive current members away because they behaved badly in a thread. You want them to understand what they did wrong and give them a chance to rectify their behavior on future postings.

Anyway, if we are talking about an extreme form of transparency like the one I mentioned on my original post, no thank you! For me, at least, it is how the site's moderators treat their members. On this site, I can relax and enjoy reading through a thread without disruptions from moderators using red ink and in all caps.

The atmosphere here is inviting, polite, and friendly whch is in stark contrast to some of the sites out there and after experiencing one such site, I was glad for the moderators and administrators who handle things differently here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
I moderated a (non-RPG) board for years and years. It's not necessarily fun, and it's frequently exhausting. RPGGeek does a good job, I agree, and while I don't have a strong opinion on the level of transparency that's best, I do think that the overall atmosphere of a site means more than any specific moderating practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
Don't know what I want but I know how to get it.
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I actually prefer transparent moderation, myself.
User was banned for this post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls