The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Acquisitions Incorporated
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
Shadows Over Stillwater
In The Labyrinth
Keeper Rulebook
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
The Dark Side Sourcebook
Nocturnum: Master Collection
The Magic Encyclopedia (Volume One)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Sprawl
Fear's Sharp Little Needles
Tales from the Loop
Graphic Novel Adventures: Your Town
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
A Carcosa Fringe Festival
Reign
S1: Tomb of Horrors
Exalted Rulebook
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Adventurer Conqueror King System
All Flesh Must Be Eaten (1st Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Fate Core System
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Barbarians of Lemuria: Mythic Edition
KULT: Divinity Lost
The Star Chamber
Veins of the Earth
Genesys Core Rulebook
Down Darker Trails
Reign of Terror
Kids on Bikes
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Dead Planet
Hideous Creatures
Savage Worlds Adventure Edition
D&D Essentials Kit
Symbaroum Quick Start
Monday Mutants 3: Skayl
Roll With It! Pirates
The Little Astralnaut
A Doom To Speak: The Ravines of Karn
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
86 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: The Future of RPGG GotW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: GotW [+] [View All]
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
A few small remarks:

(1) I have been active on RPGG only a year or so, but in that time I cannot remember having seen GotW on the front page. Hasn't there been a GotW in that time, or did I miss it? For VGG and BGG you find the GotW under announcements. I assume the same holds for RPGG, but I don't see it there, at least not now. If it is not a phenomenon there is a spotlight on, no wonder that it falls into a rut.

(2) I declined the honor of being GotW for RPGG once, because I felt that I wasn't active enough on the site. I still feel that I am not active enough on the site for such an honor. Basically, I feel that a person should have some name recognition on the site before they should be put on the front page. I know that there are no "official" rules in place on who should or should not be GotW (I have seen a GotW on one of the other sides who wasn't a member of the site at all), but I think that most members still have a feeling that it is meant for the more visible members of the site -- I at least usually recognize the people that receive the honor. Perhaps people disqualify themselves too quickly? I don't know how often people decline or for what reasons, but it might be worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
A few small remarks:

(1) I have been active on RPGG only a year or so, but in that time I cannot remember having seen GotW on the front page. Hasn't there been a GotW in that time, or did I miss it? For VGG and BGG you find the GotW under announcements. I assume the same holds for RPGG, but I don't see it there, at least not now. If it is not a phenomenon there is a spotlight on, no wonder that it falls into a rut.

The GotW threads have always been FrontPinned at RPGG as well. The last one did not pick a successor and since we had the same since November, that thread has been UnFrontPinned.

Flyboy Connor wrote:
(2) I declined the honor of being GotW for RPGG once, because I felt that I wasn't active enough on the site. I still feel that I am not active enough on the site for such an honor. Basically, I feel that a person should have some name recognition on the site before they should be put on the front page. I know that there are no "official" rules in place on who should or should not be GotW (I have seen a GotW on one of the other sides who wasn't a member of the site at all), but I think that most members still have a feeling that it is meant for the more visible members of the site -- I at least usually recognize the people that receive the honor. Perhaps people disqualify themselves too quickly? I don't know how often people decline or for what reasons, but it might be worth looking into.

For me it's always always been about getting to know people, whether long time users or new to the community folks. What better way to get to learn to know the newer members than have them be the GotW and ask all the questions from them I have never really seen it as an honor in that sense. I think it's worth revising the whole text on the RPGG GotW Wiki to reflect this and obviously other changes we decide to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
For me it's always always been about getting to know people, whether long time users or new to the community folks. What better way to get to learn to know the newer members than have them be the GotW and ask all the questions from them

Sure, but one the most-often made remarks when congratulating a new GotW is "well-deserved!" That indicates that you are supposed to "deserve" to be GotW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:
For me it's always always been about getting to know people, whether long time users or new to the community folks. What better way to get to learn to know the newer members than have them be the GotW and ask all the questions from them

Sure, but one the most-often made remarks when congratulating a new GotW is "well-deserved!" That indicates that you are supposed to "deserve" to be GotW.

I can totally understand how that creates the feeling of it being something that needs to be deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I come to this site to get help and to try to be helpful. So, I don't really follow many of the initiatives; it just doesn't seem like a contribution to a GotW gets me much or gives much to others. But if people want this, then I'm in favor too. It's just a post on a forum, so no great honor or trouble.

It seems that people are loading this up with meaning and importance that it doesn't need. Like I said above, is this not just community building? Picking randomly would be fine, but it seems easy enough to keep a list of potential nominees or encourage people seeking a candidate to use the community to source one if there is trouble finding someone. And a caretaker to manage the process when it goes astray seems essential.

What they get asked, what they are responsible for, where they are from... these things are just extras that each community member will have to determine for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I at least usually recognize the people that receive the honor.

Then you're paying more attention than me. :/

It's nice if the pick has made some contributions, but you shouldn't think this is some special honor you have to earn. It's just a simple "I think you're cool." get-to-know-you effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, we could allow anyone to nominate anyone even if they have already served...

Though maybe that defeats the purpose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
One small change that would get me interested again:

You are only allowed to ask the honoree one question per post, and must wait for them to answer your question before asking another one.

I think this would have a couple of positive effects:

1 It would make the thread feel more like a conversation than a shotgun-style blast of questions. People could respond to their answers and go more in-depth.
2 Questioners would have to ask their best/favorite questions rather than copy/paste ten at a time.

One possible negative:

1 It would slow the conversation down a lot. But, if we are extending the time period to three or four weeks, then there would still be time to get everyone's questions in, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
N.K.Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" is awesome and fantastic.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jonna that the RPGG GotW cannot go on as before. I'm fine with a hibernation period (and basically restarting whenever people feel it's time). I'm also fine with the extended time of a months, although I'd keep the established name of "Geek of the Week".

I remember that some lists of questions were answered without quoting the questions, just referring to them by number. For those who had not memorized the questions , keeping up with the info could be a bit difficult.

While I definitely support re-using a set of questions, I can also see the benefit in Kevin's suggestion above, although I wouldn't stick to a single question per post, but something like "up to 5". Some of those repeated questions work better when asked (and answered) in conjunction. Also, a higher (and maybe "softer") limit makes it easier to have double questions like "what is your favorite X? why?" without other users disputing the number of questions being asked.

That way, the first couple of posts in the thread are easier (and faster) to reply to for the GotW, while still not dragging a cherished set of questions out over days and days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asked to be GotW a few years ago. It's not something I typically pay attention to, but when I have looked at the threads I see long lists of questions that are, to me, uninteresting. I didn't want to spend time answering them and thought it would be rude to just skip whole sections, so I declined the whole thing instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Kevin's suggestion, but I don't even begin to like the idea of actually getting this rule enforced

I mean, by now I've already learned that people NEVER read any rules to anything. So it would not work anyway, there's always going to be people just jumping in and asking however many questions they feel like asking.

On the other hand I also don't like how it would make the form of the whole thing pretty rigid in ways. I like the freedom of things as they are right now. That it's up to the person asking the question to decide how many questions they want to ask. Limiting that feels kinda... limiting.

Then again, if we would go for three weeks or even one month, this way, like Kevin points out, there would be discussion for the whole time instead of barely the first week. This definitely deserves some consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning the duration:

The outcome of the poll seems pretty clear to me ...

'One Month' gets 53 % of the votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ry
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, one question that needs to answered is what is the goal of the GOTW?
and is that goal being served in the current format?
If the goal is just to get to know a RPGG then maybe calling it the Geek of the Week is not the right way. As that implies some sort of honour; maybe it could just be Getting to Know this (insert time frame) :...... and people can ask questions of that person. But there is no perceived honorific title or better RPGG'r then anyone else

In this way, you could have people who got nominated previously be nominated again. I know when I was nominated, I was fairly new to the site and didn't know people (still don't) and the first person I wanted to nominate was the GM of my game. But as they were already a GOTW in the past they couldn't. But, if it was just a hey get to know kind of thing then people could come up again as there could be new people who missed seeing this person the last time around

But, if the goal is to bestow some honour and praise those in the community who are deemed to be deserving and to introduce them to the wider community as whole. Then does just asking them questions in a single thread for a few days really the best way to do it?. It just seems that the person gets drowned in a whole bunch of questions for a couple of days and then that's it. There is no other interaction across the whole site and that seems like a waste to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
terrangray wrote:

But, if the goal is to bestow some honour and praise those in the community who are deemed to be deserving and to introduce them to the wider community as whole. Then does just asking them questions in a single thread for a few days really the best way to do it?. It just seems that the person gets drowned in a whole bunch of questions for a couple of days and then that's it. There is no other interaction across the whole site and that seems like a waste to me

+1

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought Geek of the Week was a way of generating a bit of a community feeling back in the early days of RPGG. Honestly, I think the Question of the Day does a better job of that. There's nothing wrong with Geek of the Week but I can't say I ever really read those threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Alternatively, we could allow anyone to nominate anyone even if they have already served...

Though maybe that defeats the purpose
So, a Regeek of the Week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
More like a re-Week of the Geek?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Geek of the Year ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
terrangray wrote:
So, one question that needs to answered is what is the goal of the GOTW?
and is that goal being served in the current format?
If the goal is just to get to know a RPGG then maybe calling it the Geek of the Week is not the right way. As that implies some sort of honour; maybe it could just be Getting to Know this (insert time frame) :...... and people can ask questions of that person. But there is no perceived honorific title or better RPGG'r then anyone else

In this way, you could have people who got nominated previously be nominated again. I know when I was nominated, I was fairly new to the site and didn't know people (still don't) and the first person I wanted to nominate was the GM of my game. But as they were already a GOTW in the past they couldn't. But, if it was just a hey get to know kind of thing then people could come up again as there could be new people who missed seeing this person the last time around

Apologies for being late to the party... I hit up the RPG side of things a few times a week, play in PBF when I feel I have the time, contribute when/where I can...

I think an important point is the 'finding the successor' bit. When I was Sock Puppet of the Week (1-Player Guild Sock Puppet of the Week #23 - Eric Miller (govmiller)!) I spent more time trying to figure out who would follow me than I did answering questions. A lot of clicking on names and checking posts, etc. The advantage of that 'honor' is that it was new- there were very few before me. Now it is getting tougher, but with 10k members, there are a lot to choose from.

If I were any form of GotW, I would certainly want more time to figure out who might follow me. I voted for 2 weeks as the 'period' just have enough time to choose someone else, but not enough time (4 weeks may be too long) to forget about it.

I may speak for many, but a large part of my "knowledge" stems from my subscriptions. I subscribe to several RPG forums, but apparently not quite enough- I am (and was) mostly UNAWARE of the RPG-GotW. I have recently gotten reconnected with some RPGG posts and blogs so I can try to be better connected to the RPG side of things.

Please keep in mind that long-time users may not find much value in being awarded a microbadge of '____GotW', but I would. I've not yet reached my '5 year' milestone, so it is little things like this that do tend to motivate a bit more participation in the site. Even at my age, I post stuff like that to my Facebook feed, and it sure SOUNDS impressive...!

I think it's important to remember that this is a community-driven award of your peers. If the community is 'tired' of the award, then by all means, give it a rest. When people start to miss it, threads and posts will start to appear asking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

I can totally understand how that creates the feeling of it being something that needs to be deserved.

My thoughts as well. Been active for about a year, discovered PbF with Pieter, and having a blast! I went and created a few banner for the players in our group, but that's about it. Oh, well, I also made several microbadges for RPG's, mostly on request, but that's just what I do.

And as much as I'd love being RPGGotW, it does feel like one needs to have been active for a long time, and done a lot for the community here.

So, if, as you say, this is more about getting to know people, then why not make that clear? "Lower the bar" so to speak, without making it feel like losing meaning. Just give it new meaning.

I hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
oh and PS: if it should become a 3 or 4-week award, don't change the microbadges please. Those are gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Then again, if we would go for three weeks or even one month, this way, like Kevin points out, there would be discussion for the whole time instead of barely the first week. This definitely deserves some consideration.

I think GotM is a good idea. Yeah, it might stall out depending on the person and their schedule/interest/etc. but it would definitely give us a better chance to learn more about them. The current format was kind of like speed-dating - it might be fun but what do you really know about that person before you sit down with the next one?

I also like the idea of a pot of names and someone is chosen randomly. It might not be as personal as having someone hand the title off directly to you but whoever is selected would know they were nominated by someone. I think of it like the Geek Citizenship stars. With those, you may not know who gave you a star but knowing someone put your name up feels good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Okay, so let's do it.

If you'd like to be the next geek of the month, send me a message. I'll randomly pick one of the volunteers and I'll post our first Geek of the Month thread on March 1.

I'll keep that list and give it to the volunteer as a list of potential candidates or they could find their own next Geek of the Month for April 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
Okay, so let's do it.

If you'd like to be the next geek of the month, send me a message. I'll randomly pick one of the volunteers and I'll post our first Geek of the Month thread on March 1.

I'll keep that list and give it to the volunteer as a list of potential candidates or they could find their own next Geek of the Month for April 1.

Steve, Jonna decided to post this thread after I had sent her a GM suggesting we renew the GotW tradition by (finally) nominating

Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb

to which she agreed. Please consider nominating Douglas. I don't think he'll ever suggest it himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monsieur Hisound
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is gotw starting again?

i have packages to offer.

(
)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.