The Princes' Kingdom
James Bond 007
Book 06: Deathtrap Dungeon
Ptolus: Monte Cook's City by the Spire
C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
DA3: City of the Gods
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Nova Praxis
Lords of Gossamer & Shadow
Scarlet Heroes
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Rise of Tiamat
Cthulhu Abides
Storm King's Thunder
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen (3rd Edition)
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Adventurers League Content Catalog
KULT: Divinity Lost – The Black Madonna
Genesys Core Rulebook
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Powder Mage Roleplaying Game
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
Silent Titans
100 Rumours to Hear in Pugmire
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
AMBER Diceless Role-Playing
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
ALIENS Adventure Game
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
86 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: The Future of RPGG GotW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: GotW [+] [View All]
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Back in the old days...

When I was young...

Is the problem a lack of enough RPGG users, or a lack of willingness to seek out a user to nominate?

If it is the latter, maybe we should offer a help thread for the current GotW to help them find another user to nominate. I know when I was GotW I had to spend some time finding my successor. The first person I contacted declined. I think the second may have as well, I can't recall. Is the "pick someone from another country" thing still active? I'm guessing not, but if it is, getting rid of that stipulation would help.

But, back to the help thread. I can think of at least two members off of the top of my head who have never been GotW and would likely enjoy it. Having a thread to help in passing the torch might make it smoother. If the current GotW needs some help, they can refer to that thread for suggestions. That way, anyone can throw out some names and people don't have to ask for it.

We could even do it as a Geeklist, to make it easier to track. Add an item including who you think should be GotW and why. Edit once they have been GotW so others know not to elect them.

Beyond that, you can always check out the user badges for a quick selection of active members to choose from... https://rpggeek.com/microbadge/20324

If it is the former
... we need a better cookie recipe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Okay, so I only skimmed the thread before replying...

Step 1 - Get rid of the "other country" thing. No reason there can't be two successive GotWs from wherever.

I voted for a 2 week period between only because it makes sense for now. I don't follow GotW as much anymore for a few reasons, one of which was the lack of responses from the GotWs themselves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Some people might decline because they perceive that they haven't been on RPG Geek long enough to have anything special to say about being GOTW.

Others might decline because they know that upcoming real-life issues will make it either difficult or impossible for them to interact in any meaningful way during that time period.

Geek of the Month would presumably mitigate the second barrier.

Thirdly, personally, I am not so sure I am so enthusiastic about many of these 'obligatory' list of questions that seem to be asked to every person who accepts to be GOTW ("favourite colour", and the like) ... maybe here is another 'tradition' that could be quietly dropped before starting up again this endeavour... IMHO, naturally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
Quote:
I am not so sure I am so enthusiastic about many of these 'obligatory' list of questions that seem to be asked to every person who accepts to be GOTW

I am positively sure that I am markedly unenthusiastic about the rote questions. To the point that I stopped reading GOTW threads because I got tired of seeing such banal questions and answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I think we all need to reconsider the idea that GotW is some sort of honor.

I think the intent is mostly to let us ask someone a few questions about themselves and get to know them. I think if we looked at it as a change to learn more about someone and less as some sort of honor, we'd be better off.

I'm not a big participant. When I was asking the QOTD I stayed out so I wouldn't accidentally steal good questions that were being asked of the GotW. By the time I felt I could participate, it seemed like it was all pretty much fixed questions and I didn't find it that interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
I've always seen it as a nice welcome wagon for new players/posters. I agree that the copy/paste questions got a little old but in their defense it is hard come up with new,witty and personal queries on the fly once a week.

This would be a good thing to tie in to the next pbf new player initiative . It is a good way to welcome potential pbf players into the broader RPGG community. Encourage your players to participate etc etc.

go team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ry
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know when I got picked as the GOTW I didn't really understand why I was nominated and it was hard finding people to nominate as I was a bit new to the whole site
Then I didn't really get what I was supposed to do as the GOTW except answer the questions.
Maybe there could be some activities on the site that the GOTW/Month/3 week whatever could do
Such as if the admins are running some PBF's game, maybe the GOTW could be invited in as a special guest to a game
Or they could post a QOTD or two or anything to raise a profile of themselves and the GOTW as a whole and could help them meet other players to nominate for the next GOTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cosine wrote:
You find a new one as soon as you can.

And if they don't find someone, persons shepherding the feature pick for them after some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
... and it was hard finding people to nominate ...

Someone who has posted something you like is good enough. It's nice if they've posted a lot of somethings you like. Even nicer if it is a lot of things a lot of people liked. But it doesn't have to be a chore.

When I had to pick it was still early days. There were a lot of users still available. So, a list of nominees might be helpful. It would take some work to keep updated, but nomination is often used to solve the problem IRL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
Where I’m supposed to be
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People use the site differently. At one time, I posted a lot to BGG & the FtL threads.

Now, I use these sites to track my collection & log my plays. That’s about it. If I need a review, I come here first.

In the last year, I’ve come to appreciate more of a narrative play style of games. Currently I’m in 3 Roll20 D&D 5E games. (Was waiting for a play by forum to start for something here.)

Guess that’s all I got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Quote:
I am not so sure I am so enthusiastic about many of these 'obligatory' list of questions that seem to be asked to every person who accepts to be GOTW

I am positively sure that I am markedly unenthusiastic about the rote questions. To the point that I stopped reading GOTW threads because I got tired of seeing such banal questions and answers.

I actually like the fixed questions. I ask the same questions from all the GotWs, and deliberately don't ask much about gaming related questions, so many others are asking only about gaming habits and the like. I ask the questions I like to get answers to from different people, questions that allow me to get to know a little something about the person, not the gamer. I don't want to ask anything too personal, so little things like favourite pizza toppings tell me something about the person, even if the answer is "I don't like pizza". To me GotW has always been about getting to know someone, and I don't consider knowing one's gaming tastes as knowing someone at all, it's just one aspect of even a gamer.

It makes me actually feel really sad, that you feel these are banal questions, and some of us (me included) asking things they are interested in knowing about the GotWs, are driving others away from those threads.

Since my time is so limited anyway, I guess I'm bowing out from asking anything from any future GotWs in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Since my time is so limited anyway, I guess I'm bowing out from asking anything from any future GotWs in this case.

I'm certain I won't be the only one who wishes this isn't the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
Kattvippa wrote:
It makes me actually feel really sad, that you feel these are banal questions, and some of us (me included) asking things they are interested in knowing about the GotWs, are driving others away from those threads.

Sorry! Please don't see my perspective as telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't do, anymore than (hypothetically) me not enjoying a game you like should stop you from playing and enjoying it.

This is the first time I've ever mentioned my dislike of the fixed questions (I might have made a mild allusion to it years ago), so I am not on a crusade to get anyone to change their behavior. I don't think fixed questions are wrong or should stop. They are just not to my taste. If you like them, then by all means continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ry
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely keep asking the questions, it just seems that the GOTW has fallen in to a rut of the same few people asking the same few questions week after week
Maybe, instead of a push to get people to play PBF's there needs to be a similar campaign to get people to engage with the GOTW so that the regular question askers can take a break, but the thread doesn't suffer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

Sorry! Please don't see my perspective as telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't do, anymore than (hypothetically) me not enjoying a game you like should stop you from playing and enjoying it.

This is the first time I've ever mentioned my dislike of the fixed questions (I might have made a mild allusion to it years ago), so I am not on a crusade to get anyone to change their behavior. I don't think fixed questions are wrong or should stop. They are just not to my taste. If you like them, then by all means continue.

It's okay, no harm done. And of course you are entitled to your perspective and to say it out loud

I'm not letting anyone tell me what to do, I'm making my own decisions based on how I feel. The fact that your post has more thumbs up than any other post on this page, plus it got tipped, sends a pretty strong message. Which makes me feel it's waste of my limited time to try and keep the GotW threads going from my part, if so many people feel the same way with you. It does also make me feel frustrated, as I did spend some time figuring out questions that are generic enough that I can ask them from anyone, but also something that I'm genuinely interested in getting answers to. I've really enjoyed reading some of the answers, where the GotW clearly took time to think how to answer. It also makes me feel frustrated, as there's only a few people left keeping those GotW threads going, and then we get criticized for the way we do it. And it made me feel tired of it all, feels like fighting an already lost battle. There's never a way to make everyone happy, so I might as well make myself happy and save my time for something else.

And this is just the tip of the ice berg, this is not really on you at all Kevin. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinions and they are equally valued. I guess I've been feeling increasingly tired on the ever going battle of trying to make everyone happy and never getting anywhere with it, on all fronts at the Geek laugh

I do feel that people should lead the way with their own example though. So I'm challenging all of you that feel the fixed questions are banal, to start participating in the future threads and ask the questions the way you feel is best

Edit: Kevin, I feel like I might have shot the messenger here, so I apologize if I made you feel bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bxrrr wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

I'm certain I won't be the only one who wishes this isn't the case.

Thank you, I will think about this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give this thread a few more days to see if anyone else has any opinions and then try to go through all that has been suggested and make a summary for everyone to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
terrangray wrote:
Definitely keep asking the questions, it just seems that the GOTW has fallen in to a rut of the same few people asking the same few questions week after week
Maybe, instead of a push to get people to play PBF's there needs to be a similar campaign to get people to engage with the GOTW so that the regular question askers can take a break, but the thread doesn't suffer

I kinda like this idea, but I have no idea how to go about it. And on the other hand I feel like this might be a thing people should be interested without an incentive. Thoughts everyone else?

Anyone have any ideas how to get people more active on the threads? What would make any of you who left, go back to the threads and ask questions? I really want the GotW program to keep going and be well and happy. Lately those threads have been very sad for several reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the comments, it seems like there might be some fatigue with the GOTW concept in some quarters. I think there is not much point continuing the tradition if it becomes a chore and there aren't enough RPGGeeks who are interested.

I suggest we give it a rest for one year, maybe two and kickstart it on 1 Jan 2020. In the meantime we can try and come up with ideas to make GOTW interesting, like maybe a contest or MB for guessing the usual 2 truths 1 lie correctly etc. Hopefully when it restarts everything will be new and fresh again!

Actually another idea hit me. Since we have so many prior GOTWs, maybe we can have a Guess the GOTW? A prior GOTW responds to questions using a general GOTW account, and the community has a week to guess the identity by asking questions with a few obvious ones like "What is your name" etc banned.

These ideas are really raw and will need work, but I think we may need to re-invent the GOTW concept to make it interesting to more RPGgeeks and I am throwing out some ideas for discussion.

Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
Reading the comments, it seems like there might be some fatigue with the GOTW concept in some quarters. I think there is not much point continuing the tradition if it becomes a chore and there aren't enough RPGGeeks who are interested.

I suggest we give it a rest for one year, maybe two and kickstart it on 1 Jan 2020. In the meantime we can try and come up with ideas to make GOTW interesting, like maybe a contest or MB for guessing the usual 2 truths 1 lie correctly etc. Hopefully when it restarts everything will be new and fresh again!

This is also an valid option. This was done in VGG and seemed to have worked wonders on the GotW program.

The microbadge idea seems like something that might lure people in.

not2fear wrote:
Actually another idea hit me. Since we have so many prior GOTWs, maybe we can have a Guess the GOTW? A prior GOTW responds to questions using a general GOTW account, and the community has a week to guess the identity by asking questions with a few obvious ones like "What is your name" etc banned.

I love this idea!!! This could also be something that would alternate between the regular GotW. Maybe two weeks for GotW, then two weeks for the Guess the GotW?

Edit: You got me all excited about this, so I really wanna do this. So, ideas, comments, improvements everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep GotW going.

I don't have a strong preference on interval, although Weekly would be my first and obvious choice.

Off-the-wall, pre-set, unrelated questions are okay, as long as we as a community throw in some personally tailored questions also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaid Slauson wrote:
Please keep GotW going.

I don't have a strong preference on interval, although Weekly would be my first and obvious choice.

this would be my preference too, but it's clear it's not going to work anymore unless something happens. This really pains me to no end

Maybe the GotW and Guess the GotW could be alternating weekly, so every other would be one and the the other?

Quaid Slauson wrote:
Off-the-wall, pre-set, unrelated questions are okay, as long as we as a community throw in some personally tailored questions also.

Usually there's been someone asking something like that too, at least so far. I would like to have both in. I do like to know that there's going to be certain questions covered each week. But personally tailored questions are very very important as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if it wasn't clear yet, I really appreciate ALL the comments on this thread. Thank you so much everyone for all your input. Keep it going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should do a Geek Soapbox of the Week for a time? Basically give a nominated Geek the chance to air RPGG related oppinion about issues she or he cares about. I would think people would be eager to participate. This could also lead to improvements on this website.

Edit: Sentence structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
eisenphx wrote:
Maybe we should do a Geek Soapbox of the Week for a time? Basically give a nominated Geek the chance to air RPGG related oppinion about issues she or he cares about. I would think people would be eager to participate. This could also lead to improvements on this website.

Edit: Sentence structure.

This is an interesting idea. We can also have a 'Guild of the Week' to introduce the guilds we have and allow them to promote/recruit new members. It'll be fun because I think the entire guild will be answering questions, not just the GOTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.