Blades in the Dark
Ten Candles
Cepheus Engine System Reference Document
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tomb of Annihilation
Down Darker Trails
Ironsworn
The Black Hack (2nd Edition)
The Black Hack Character Sheets (2nd Edition)
Woodfall
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
86 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: The Future of RPGG GotW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: GotW [+] [View All]
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that by now it's clear to everyone that RPGG GotW is in trouble. Slowly but surely we've been running out of candidates and then the whole thing dwindled down in November.

The admins have been discussing about this and I suggested we move into Geek of the Month instead of Geek of the Week, to keep this tradition going. Since there has been different opinions in this matter, I'd love to hear what the community thinks. Or if you even have some other solutions than either going with weekly basis as it is, or changing it to monthly basis.

All thoughts and ideas are very much welcome and appreciated

Edit: I've briefly FrontPinned this for visibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmb
One thing I do know is that there are many RPGGeek users who don't participate in the QotD or in other community activities, but are very active in the various PbF games being conducted here.
That's quite a large untapped pool of future GotW candidates right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't change the name ...

... why not a pinned thread or a Geeklist named "I would like to be GotW" where everyone can deposit their wish. The current GotW could simply pick a name from that list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

... why not a pinned thread or a Geeklist named "I would like to be GotW" where everyone can deposit their wish. The current GotW could simply pick a name from that list.

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
But that sounds like "I want to receive this honor". The more humble members of the community will not put their OWN name up. Perhaps it would work better if there is a (non-public) place where you can submit some names which you think would be good for GotW (you can then submit your own name if you want to).

(You could also look at the Citizenship stars. Anybody who has a star or two, no GotW badge, and is active on RPGG should be a potential candidate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bxrrr wrote:
One thing I do know is that there are many RPGGeek users who don't participate in the QotD or in other community activities, but are very active in the various PbF games being conducted here.
That's quite a large untapped pool of future GotW candidates right there.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

We had that for quite some time a while back, but there was literally no traffic. So people didn't want to ask to be the GotW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG has a much smaller user base than RPGG and ran into this trouble quite a while ago. For roughly three years we completely abandoned the GotW. Then as the userbase either grew or shifted or both we had a pool of users who had not been named GotW.

GotW was revived. I believe VGG now celebrates geek of the two weeks but continue to use the same language of GotW.

Increasing the period between users receiving the nomination has worked out well for VGG. As did giving the GotW a rest for three years. Hopefully by being proactive RPGG can avoid having the GotW go into hibernation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek of the Month, but don't change the title or anything. VGG does three weeks (or around that timeframe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek of the Decade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, it's very challenging to get folks to be involved in the social aspects of the site. Some will join in and others will not. That's fact. I love the GotW program, but I have to admit that I am not as socially active as I once was. Another factor that may not have been considered yet (or maybe it has)is the rise of so many new social media platforms like Facebook, MeWe, Discord, Mastadon, Slack, etc, that many folks are simply hanging out there for one reason or another.

Communities and sites are springing up at such a rapid rate that I think that it may be affecting social involvement on RPGG. For example, I can no longer access any of the geek domains from work, so I simply go elsewhere during the work day when I have time.

I say all of that to come back to the idea that we need to find a way to get people more involved and energized about the RPGG. I think if we can do that, we will have greater candidates for GotW.

I think shifting the GotW to every two weeks might be worth trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I see nothing wrong with keeping it Geek of the Week and it taking longer than a week to nominate someone. You find a new one as soon as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Another vote for Geek Of The Month !

That way, users here can interact for a longer time with the chosen person, and vice-versa, leading to more significant discussions.

Also, it is much more significant to be chosen for a whole month, instead of simply a week.

Less is More !, is what I say.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
VGGotW is on a 3 week cycle and that seems to be sticking pretty well for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be good with a monthly frequency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How about a poll ?

Poll
What should be the new frequency/duration for GOTW ?
n/a
One week
Two weeks
Three weeks
One month
Other (please explain)
      53 answers
Poll created by Mallet

Don't hesitate to comment on your vote !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
I voted for 3 weeks because if it slips to 4 weeks that's cool too. But at least with 3 wks the current person has some deadline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Geek of the Decade?

Geek of the Whatever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GORD: Geek Of the Random Deadline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the hardest aspect is finding the next GotW. I like the "not in the same country" aspect, but it does make it difficult for some. Perhaps we need to think of a nomination process that is more "managed" by a GotW admin type.

If the current GotW has the next, that's best, but then...

Perhaps an effort to canvas the boards looking pro-actively for people who participate regularly and haven't been GotW? Then compile a list of potential nominees. I think this is the same idea as self-nominating but removes the "look at me!" stigma of self-nominating.

Maybe everybody with 5 Cit Stars who hasn't been GotW would be a good seed list? I mean, they're obviously doing something good at the site - even if it's not widely known in the general forums.

Or just a geekmail box to accept nominations from anybody, and then that becomes a growing list. Perhaps people would be more likely to self-nominate if the self-nomination wasn't a public thing!

Or, we could occasionally have the GotW be a non-person to highlight some significant, recurring site event. Maybe Project Olive could be GotW, or that Owl account (whatever might that be about?), etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Perhaps the hardest aspect is finding the next GotW. I like the "not in the same country" aspect, but it does make it difficult for some. Perhaps we need to think of a nomination process that is more "managed" by a GotW admin type.

Agreed. I remember at least one that created an account just because they were nominated. Is that person even still here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
"not in the same country"

This seems fine for BGG which has tens of thousands of users. It doesn't work as well for a group with a smaller base.

And even on BGG that rule is not strictly enforced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek of the Month sounds reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that finding the next GotW is the hardest part. A new user doesn't know many other new users to pass the baton on to.

I recommend A GotW-Mentor. Someone who knows the Geek users and who has a list of potential recipients. Maybe as a Google Drive file. A GotW could be shown the list to see if they recognise any names on it, and can then approach that person. If they don't recognise anyone the Mentor can suggest someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I believe it should be monthly because my people forget to pass the torch at the end of their week. Also they should be able to pick out of a pool of people that could be GOTW so it is not so hard to pick the successor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.