Pavis
The Witchwar Legacy
Treasure of Unicorn Gold
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
The Quiet Year
The Clay That Woke
Dungeon Crawl Classics Judge's Screen
Adventurers League Accessories (Curse of Strahd)
Fate Adversary Toolkit
Fate Horror Toolkit
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
159 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [7] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: GLAIR 2018 Nominations Now Open Through 2 November! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: glair [+] glair_2018 [+] [View All]
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
downeymb wrote:
As of right now, 2/3s of responders think there should be an age limit this year and 50% think it should be ten years. That is not enough of a majority for me to be comfortable instituting the rule, so unless the votes change by a lot over the next few days we won’t use it this time around.

I will revisit the idea at the end of the contest.

Some things accomplish more in a minute than others do in a lifetime. If something new comes along that is so important it's a shoe-in for our little hall of fame, why not include it?

Well it does say LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT, and lots of other Hall of Fames have an age requirement (Rock and Roll HOF is 25 years after debut album, Pro (American) Football HOF is five years after retirement, etc.), but we will revisit at the end.

Quote:
And hey, you never know. Games have been weak for a while now. We're due for something big.

Also, I really do nominate DSA. Easily top 15 on any list like this.

You really didn’t, but the inimitable SOS did it for you. And if this is too 15, then it might not get in until 2021!

Quote:
Thanks for running this!

You’re welcome! I am looking forward to the actual contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Well, *somebody* has to do it correctly:

Das Schwarze Auge

What, like Dogs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
All these games are most deserving for a Lifetime Achievement award ?

I doubt any single person thinks they are all deserving, no. But yes, each one of these is that highly regarded by at least one person on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I will say, however, that this game is quite likely the most deserving in it's own category.

The Tragedy of GJ 237b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

I will say, however, that this game is quite likely the most deserving in it's own category.

The Tragedy of GJ 237b

You see? Different tastes exist. This is not one I would give any award to, sorry. And yes, I know it's possibly the only game in its category. I'd still wait for another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Mallet wrote:

The Tragedy of GJ 237b

You see? Different tastes exist. This is not one I would give any award to, sorry. And yes, I know it's possibly the only game in its category. I'd still wait for another.

Well, this RPG "project" could possibly be viewed through the lens of postmodernist deconstruction, including an attitude of skepticism, irony, or rejection toward the meta-narratives and ideologies of modernism, calling into question various assumptions of Enlightenment rationality.

One might consider that the meta-discourse underlying this RPG also targets universalist notions of objective reality, morality, truth, human nature, reason, language, and social progress, including the contingent or socially-conditioned nature of knowledge claims and value systems, situating them as products of particular political, historical, or cultural discourses and hierarchies.

Accordingly, one could infer that the underlying narrative and subtext of this RPG is broadly characterized by tendencies to self-referentiality, epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, subjectivism, and irreverence.

Or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a whole bunch of four dollar words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
tdphillips wrote:
That's a whole bunch of four dollar words.

Even worse! They're Canadian dollars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only accept geekgold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Weeks
United States
Jordan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
downeymb wrote:
clweeks wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

When I nominated The Shadow of Yesterday, Lady Blackbird, as one of TSOY's children, is part of what made it seem like a reasonable nominee.

Weird, there is nothing in Lady Blackbird’s entry about that, or any of the other stuff in Wild Blue Yonder. Why is that?

It's mostly just the "Keys" system that TSOY uses for character motivations/advancement. The rest of LB does not particularly resemble TSOY.

I didn't mean to imply that it's a clone, just a clear descendant. Note that Clinton is at the top of John's listed influences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Ventura
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midgard

The oldest German RPG, still going strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna nominate O Herói da Copa as the first-published "home grown" Portuguese RPG gamebook. Pedro Panhoca da Silva published a review and commentary about its wide and lasting influence in Brazil - see A premonitory gamebook: O Herói da Copa (1994), published in Alarums & Excursions (Issue 508 - Feb 2018).

It's also somewhat peculiar for being a "lifepath" CYOA style gamebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just s reminder that nominations are open through tomorrow!

I will try and get voting for the wildcard round up and running sometime in the next few days, largely depends on how jet lagged I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lincoln
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For an English perspective I'll nominate GW Judge Dredd, Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks, and Lone Wolf Gamebooks.

And as it's been mentioned but not nominated (I think) En Garde!, which reminds me of Flashing Blades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Just s reminder that nominations are open through tomorrow!

I will try and get voting for the wildcard round up and running sometime in the next few days, largely depends on how jet lagged I am.

Jet lag is pretty bad right now, so we’ll see! Will try to get nominations in order this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
60.9% of y'all think there should be an age limit his year, and 45.8% of y'all think it should be ten years. That is officially not enough to do anything with this year. We will revisit after the contest.

Also, I find it weird that the second poll question had one more voter than the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For nominations, I will go with the more general version of an RPG where possible/it makes sense. But I'll be counting on you all to help make that determination in some cases!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
I can't believe no one nominated the most popular RPG of all time (before the 10-year release limitation was added):

Legacy of Dragonholt

This was a serious nomination, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 67 nominees so far! I will pick the top sixty games based on rank, and then the remainder will have a preliminary round for the last four spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the event something is not ranked (e.g. Midgard), I will use the highest rank within its family.

Speaking of which, should the nomination be for Midgard or Midgard? I feel like the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just kidding! All unranked RPGs will be in the runoff for the last (currently) six spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Much Soccer!
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
brumcg wrote:
I can't believe no one nominated the most popular RPG of all time (before the 10-year release limitation was added):

Legacy of Dragonholt

This was a serious nomination, right?

Nope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
N.K.Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" is awesome and fantastic.
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Speaking of which, should the nomination be for Midgard or Midgard? I feel like the latter.

Seems reasonable, but I suggest hearing João's opinion. In case he specifically wanted to nominate the system/ include the Perry Rhodan RPG based on the Midgard system, we should go with the latter former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we are on the subject of systems....

1. I decided not to combine Rolemaster 1st and 2nd into Rolemaster the RPG, since Middle-Earth Roleplaying was already nominated by virtue of being in the top 7 last year.

2. Should Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (1st Edition) instead be listed as Pathfinder?

3. Should Lone Wolf Gamebooks instead be listed as Lone Wolf?

4. Should Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks instead be listed as Fighting Fantasy?

5. Should Judge Dredd the Role-Playing Game (Games Workshop) instead be listed as Judge Dredd?

My feeling for 2 is maybe not? I don't know enough about 3-5 to make a determination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Ventura
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasri wrote:
downeymb wrote:

Seems reasonable, but I suggest hearing João's opinion. In case he specifically wanted to nominate the system/ include the Perry Rhodan RPG based on the Midgard system, we should go with the latter.

I conciously wanted to nominate the system. Including the SF offshoot shows the versatility of the Midgard system, Even if Perry Rhodan: Das Rollenspiel is the worst RPG in the bunch.

Jolly Roger - Piraten in der Karibik should be included as a seperate game in this system IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.