Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use this thread to ask for suggestions to go on your wishlist for Cthanta in 2018 and to ask others if they think your profile gives a prospective Cthanta Claus enough to go on!

The sign-up for the exchange is at: http://rpggeek.com/geekexchange/join/451

The Cthanta Claus main thread is at: The 10th (2018) Cthanta Claus (RPG Secret Santa) Gift Exchange - Targets Assigned

The "Look what Cthanta Claus brought me, 2018" Geeklist is at: Look what Cthanta Claus sent me! RPGGeek Secret Santa 2018

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm unsure if my whishlist has to many things on it which are complicated to get (either since they're long out of print [Deadlands stuff] or since they're only to get at the publisher [Earthdawn stuff]). Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a letter
And a wishlist

I'm not sure if it's too detailed or not.

Thoughts? General Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Detail is fine, but more fluff on the wishlist comments would help to "feel" your preferences and likings for bonus items and such things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Help me wishlist gurus. You're my only hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
fastfox wrote:
I'm unsure if my whishlist has to many things on it which are complicated to get (either since they're long out of print [Deadlands stuff] or since they're only to get at the publisher [Earthdawn stuff]). Any thoughts?

I don't see out of print books as a problem. Some retailers like nobleknight.com and rpgrpgrpg.com specialize in that.

One thing I'm curious about. If there's an English and a German version available, do you have a preference? Never mind. I see it in the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:

Seeing Coriolis and Kids on Bikes on your list, I think Tales from the Loop might be something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Feel free to comment on my letter and list as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:

I recommend Genesys core handbook because it's the only book I could think of that's not on your owned or formerly owned list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I think I might have to switch to give only unless I get some serious help on my wishlist.

Advice is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will put myself into the fray: wishlist.

I only have nine items currently on my wishlist. They may be mighty, but I should aim for more.

I need to research games that work well with two (I'll find the geeklists).

I'm also back to looking for games with "interesting" combat systems. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe you know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
I think I might have to switch to give only unless I get some serious help on my wishlist.

Advice is welcome.

I think we are kind of similar. Maybe? So I'll go to my wishlist for ideas.

Dusk City Outlaws Core Game - Good for one shots; fantasy-ish
Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game (5th Edition) - Either beginner box or full rules; you seemed to like 4E, but I'm assuming your group is a no-go
Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures?

And specific questions for you... Do you think I might like the Complete hero books like Fantasy Hero Complete or Champions Complete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:

Seeing that you are interested in supers, and the two systems on your list aren't that heavy:

Masks: A New Generation (AWE which I think you like?)
BASH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
sdonohue wrote:

Advice is welcome.
Dusk City Outlaws Core Game - Good for one shots; fantasy-ish

To add onto this, there is also a cyberpunk expansion if that is more your thing: Neon City Outlaws. I believe it's PDF only at this point, though.

Scratchpad Publishing wrote:

Now available on DriveThruRPG, Neon City Outlaws is a setting hack for Dusk City Outlaws that translates the heist game into a the dystopian cyberpunk setting of Neo-Dunhaven. Under the oppressive eyes of the Consortium Council, the Right Kind of People of Neo-Dunhaven plan heists and execute cons, dealing with artificial intelligences, digital memory storage and transfer, and an immersive virtual reality network.

Designed by Steve Kenson and Rodney Thompson, Neon City Outlaws includes complete conversion guidelines, information on the Neo-Dunhaven setting, eight new cartels for use in that setting, and a revised and expanded group of specialties for use with Neon City Outlaws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
brumcg wrote:

I only have nine items currently on my wishlist. They may be mighty, but I should aim for more.

I'm also back to looking for games with "interesting" combat systems. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe you know!

Any further thoughts on 7th Sea Core Rulebook? Is that a candidate for the wishlist?

What about Feng Shui 2?

Maybe it's time to revisit Flashing Blades?

I know you have its successor, but maybe The Riddle of Steel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
cjbowser wrote:

Seeing that you are interested in supers, and the two systems on your list aren't that heavy:

BASH!

Thanks! The two superhero games on my wishlist are there because they're supers games I've heard of... I'll look into these two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
cjbowser wrote:

BASH!

There are a couple other AWE supers games available now too:

City of Mist (Themepark)
City of Mist wrote:

City of Mist is a role-playing game of film-noir investigation and super-powered action. It is set in a modern metropolis rife with crime, conspiracies, and mysteries. The protagonists are Gateways, ordinary people who became the living embodiment of a legend, their Mythos. While your Gateways may seek to strike a balance between the mysterious nature of their Mythos and their mortal aspirations, the powers within them always threaten to tear their lives apart. They have unwittingly become a part of a secret world of clashing stories, and soon other legends will come looking for them with demands.

City of Mist is based on the story-driven Apocalypse Engine, but it takes a step further into narrative gaming by introducing several new features:

- Rich character motivations built around compelling Mysteries and Identities. Follow your characters’ themes to gain their benefits and evolve them or go against them to discover new aspects with a unique non-linear character evolution system.
- Know no limits for powers, abilities, traits, gear, or allies. Everything in City of Mist is described by free text tags, so you can create exactly the character you want.
- Full-on narrative engine, with an edge. Every action you take in the game is based on the interpretation of your tags, using moves to deliver dramatic outcomes that drive the story forward.
- Status spectrums, a new system of ‘narrative damage.’ You can use descriptors to create any imaginable setback or advantage so that every action in the fiction, in and out of combat, can have lasting gameplay implications.

Worlds in Peril (Toolkit)
Worlds in Peril wrote:

From the Introduction:

Worlds in Peril is a tabletop roleplaying game designed to tell collaborative stories about superheroes taking on both the challenges faced as a superhero, with the villains and public image and fame (or perhaps infamy) that goes along with it, as well as the challenges they face in their personal lives when they take off the mask and have to deal with everyday problems and relationships like everybody else.

If the AWE isn't your thing, CAPERS (Themepark) was recently released.

CAPERS wrote:

From publisher blurb:

CAPERS is a superpowered RPG of 1920s gangsters. Players portray gangsters and bootleggers looking to make thieir fortunes in a wolrd of illegal alchohol, gambling, prostitution, and racketeering.

And you have superpowers. But so do the cops and feds.

And as a shameless plug, AMP: Year One (along with years 2, 3 and 4)(Themepark).

AMP: Year One wrote:

No Heroes. No Villains. Just Hard Choices.

Become one of the first people in the world to develop superpowers. AMP: Year One tells the story of the first year this new phenomenon, full of secrecy, conspiracy and danger for everyone involved. As humans begin to notice these new and often terrifying people with abilities, not everyone reacts accepting. This is not the supers game of tights and capes, but instead of shadows and choices.

I will also recommend BASH! Ultimate Edition if you are interested in toolkits. The base mechanic is off-putting for some people because it's 2d6 x Stat, with doubles exploding. I've found very little wrong with the power balance so far (Armor is a bit strong) and have been able to create anything I want with it. It also has built-in mechanics to support the team-ups and battles you see in comics that rarely make sense in a game. If Batman and Superman are running around together, Batman is just as viable as Big Blue without increasing/decreasing the power level of either hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
brumcg wrote:
And specific questions for you... Do you think I might like the Complete hero books like Fantasy Hero Complete or Champions Complete?

I think you might. The game is simplified because it's 6th edition and they took out a lot of the figured characteristics, but it still uses mostly the same engine. It will still have issues when it comes time to choose powers, but that part is also a little better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

I should rephrase that.

Please have a look at my wishlist and let me know if I'm good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm in again this year and hopefully I've provided enough information...

https://rpggeek.com/user/Blammo

My wishlist is massive, even after pruning, and the rankings are correct for at least the next 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some wishlist suggestions, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

I should rephrase that.

Please have a look at my wishlist and let me know if I'm good to go!

Your profile comment states that you're ok with some in print and some in PDF. You might want to call out in the wishlist comments for each item which format you'd prefer for a given item.

And, what about new vs. used? Any preference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Blammo wrote:
I'm in again this year and hopefully I've provided enough information...

https://rpggeek.com/user/Blammo

My wishlist is massive, even after pruning, and the rankings are correct for at least the next 10 minutes.

I think you need 20 or 30 more items on your wishlist.

Your letter and list are pretty complete. I think the lists you provide on your letter would help somebody narrow down what to get you. Or, they could throw a dart.

I know you say no offensive odors on your books. Where does squamous, batrachian goo from beyond time and space fall? Good, bad, indifferent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Modoc wrote:
I need some wishlist suggestions, please.

I think it's safe to say we have fairly similar tastes. But, you do have your favorite genres in the wrong order Cthanta letter.

What about games like Leagues of Adventure, Leagues of Gothic Horror, Leagues of Cthulhu?

Or, moving away from Ubiquity Roleplaying System, how about The Savage World of Solomon Kane?

Another option is Witch Hunter: The Invisible World 2nd edition?

And, for that sumptuous historical RPG experience... Dark Continent: Adventures and Exploration in Darkest Africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
brumcg wrote:

Do you have a dominos set to go along with Macabre Tales? If not, maybe stick that under your lump of coal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |