The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Acquisitions Incorporated
Deluxe Revised RECON
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
The Dark Side Sourcebook
Nocturnum: Master Collection
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Gunderholfen
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
The Witchwar Legacy
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Hideous Creatures
Shadows Over Stillwater
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Over the Edge
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628
The Desert Portal
Terror of the Stratosfiend #1.5
Freedom or Toaster
Brigands of Sherwood
Exalted Rulebook
Aftermath!
Call of Cthulhu (2nd Edition)
CDM1: The Halls of the Dwarven Kings
Sorcerer
Ghostwalk
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Lady Blackbird
GM Gems Volume 1: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration
Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Numenera
Mythic Adventures
Hillfolk
Keeper Rulebook
Investigator Handbook
Lords of Gossamer & Shadow
Strategy Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Dark Albion: The Rose War
KULT: Divinity Lost
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's do it. whistle

Here's my pitch, which I've shamelessly copied off an old friend's with whom I've had the honour of playing the game with:

Quote:
All Flesh Must Be Eaten

I don't know how or why

... but the dead

... they walk among us

... and they are HUNGRY!

All Flesh Must Be Eaten (AFMBE) is a role-playing game of the horror genre. You are a player character, whose overall goal is to survive, while sometimes achieving smaller goals, such as rescuing others or searching for food and water.

At the heart of all role-playing games is the question “What if...

In the AFMBE world, the question is “What if you were faced with a world gone to hell, where ravenous undead sought living prey only to feast on their flesh?

What if you had to fight for survival, sometimes against former friends or even loved ones, turned by the disease? What sort of decisions would you be forced to make?

Would you be curious to find out the cause of the horror? Would you delve into the heart of the zombie-infested areas to discover the truth? Would you brave death to end the threat?

What if there were no cause, no solution? Would it be better to simply flee for safety to ensure survival of the human race?

By taking on the role of an AFMBE character, players such as yourself have the chance to answer these questions and more.

This particular adventure takes place in the heart of Tokyo, where you are on the last night train when it stops at Shinjuku Station. The train does not move any farther from the station. The station is empty. which is strange, perhaps even eerie, for Shinjuku is known to be a place that never sleeps.

(To be honest, I chose Shinjuku in Japan, for it is one of my favourite places in the world, and one of my favourite movies "Lost In Translation" was partially filmed there.)

Of course, that is only how the adventure begins, what twists and turns are yet to be seen!

This adventure will take up to 6 players. There are no prerequisites to playing - you don't need to have/buy any books, and you don't need to have any experience in role-playing games. The rules will be explained as we go along, and pre-generated characters will be supplied before the game begins.

If you'd like to play, please add a comment directly to this geeklist item indicating your interest.

The Zombie Master (ZM) for this game is:

Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb

This is my first time running this game. I'm thinking that for any rules which are unclear or where I don't understand them, they will be replaced by D&D 5E rules.

I welcome a co-ZM, if anyone is interested to run this with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Pitch shamelessly stolen from here

===

Dungeon World is a world of fantastic adventure. A world of magic, gods, demons, Good and Evil. Brave heroes venture into the most dangerous corners of the land in search of gold and glory. You are those heroes. You go where others can't or won't. You conquer the unbeatable and laugh in the face of Death. There are monstrous things lurking in the world. Are you ready to face them?

Dungeon World is a fast-paced, easy-to-learn role-playing game where the story is always moving forward in interesting ways. A failed roll of the dice NEVER means "nothing happens" -- it just might not be what you were expecting! Given the 2012 Golden Geek RPG of the Year on this very site, Dungeon World combines the best of old-school adventure and new-school gameplay.

===

I see Christian decided to use an old Fighting Fantasy gamebook as a template... I'm not sure if I will do that.

Tossing up between:
*Prison escape
*Fetch Quest
*Lost Mine of Phandelver rip off...

Desired players: 3 or 4 (could be persuaded to fit five).

The rules of Dungeon World are very easy to pick up - it is heavily based on narrative gameplay - with rolls only needed when the GM and/or players think a move has been triggered.

PItch updated and resubmitted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to come up with something. More to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Roll for Shoes

Anticipation buzzes throughout the Kingdom of Steepwaters: the younger prince of Four Vales, who is to marry "our" Princess Timka, will arrive in a week or so to meet his bride and carry her home. And sure, it's the Valers who will get the big wedding feast; but surely a state visit like this will be reason enough to tap a few barrels!

It's an hour or two after midnight, and you are woken up by two Palace guards standing next to your bed. They are nervous, apologetic, but above all firm: You will come with us, right now. The King summons you.

What's the game system?

Roll for Shoes or, to give it its full name, I Roll to See if I Have Shoes On!, is a minimalistic RPG or "microsystem": There are very few rules, and by that I mean they fit on an A6 index card, with plenty of space left over for doodling. Player characters are generated by playing the game: they start out as nothing more than a name and an idea of who you want to play.

This is a game best approached with the "yes, and ..." mindset from improv storytelling: the fundamental attitude of embracing and building on whatever your fellow players have put out there, and to put offers and hooks for other players in your own contributions.

As a GM I intend to integrate whatever the players come up with into the story. I will of course prepare and offer a plotline to follow, but I'm more than happy to throw preparation in a nearby irrigation ditch and run with whatever the players seem to find more interesting.

I find this a good introductory game for people who are curious about role-playing games but have never played one. It demands next to nothing in terms of player preparation, it gives a fast and somewhat silly highlights tour, and it's over quickly, encouraging players to move on to something more substantial.

What's the game world?

For this game, we will play out a story in a world that runs on fairy-tale logic. A bit of ye-unspecifically-olde-days, a bit of feudalism that doesn't necessarily prevent characters from traveling wherever they want, the odd mythical creature, maybe a little magic or the occasional supernatural power. And if at first you don't succeed, try the Rule of Three.

At least, that's where we'll start. Where we end up may be a different matter entirely.

What do players need to know, buy, or do?

In terms of the mechanics of the game: Nothing. I'll teach you what rules there are before the game begins.

During the game you should keep up with what is happening, and make time to post your own contributions several times per week.

What's the tone of the game?

You should expect a certain level of over-the-top, borderline gonzo play if you join this game. That said, I very much expect my players to "read the room" and find a level of levity that everyone is comfortable with.

What on Earth is that picture on the right!?

It's what happens when a GM needs an illustration for a game that doesn't have any. It's also, apparently, a genuine pair of shoes which you can buy if you're that way inclined (pun not entirely intended).

This adventure will take up to 5 players.

If you'd like to play, please add a comment directly to this geeklist item indicating your interest.

The game master (GM) for this game is:

Xander
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
mb

First time PBF GM here, so feedback is welcome. Does this look feasible? Is anything missing or unclear? Too much text, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

Looks great, Xander!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The sole idea had me head over heels...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've never GM'd a PBF, I'm a little reluctant to join, but it does seem like a great opportunity for fun.

I've got a few games I'm considering, but at the moment the main contender would be a World of Darkness game using the april fools joke totally rad Dudes of Legend: How To Be Fucking Awesome supplement (with a few big omissions). Thinking a vibe of Stranger Things meets Kung Fury.

Does anyone know if World of Darkness lends itself well to PBF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
vialick wrote:
As I've never GM'd a PBF, I'm a little reluctant to join, but it does seem like a great opportunity for fun.

I've got a few games I'm considering, but at the moment the main contender would be a World of Darkness game using the april fools joke totally rad Dudes of Legend: How To Be Fucking Awesome supplement (with a few big omissions). Thinking a vibe of Stranger Things meets Kung Fury.

Does anyone know if World of Darkness lends itself well to PBF?

I can't say how it runs via PbF, but it sounds like an interesting game. I would mention that if there will be Mature themes involved that you should absolutely make that clear up front by stating as much in your elevator pitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One month to go y’all! I am almost done with my crazy labyrinth, just have a handful of rooms to finish to reach the magic number. Can’t wait to murder all eight PCs see how it plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
One month to go y’all! I am almost done with my crazy labyrinth, just have a handful of rooms to finish to reach the magic number. Can’t wait to murder all eight PCs see how it plays!

I already have an OOC thread up with rules for character creation and how to play. I figured if I started now, I could work out how best to explain things while I have time, instead of rushing when the event starts.

I still have two more rules posts I want to make, but I'm pretty happy with how I'm distilling the rules down thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to run 1 table of Tales of the Village but with a difference.

These will be ONLY for family units. The new to PbF would be the child. The adult can be new or old to PbF.

Each game will be for one family unit and as it will be individual stories I should be able to run 2 or 3 tables.

Quote:

Do you have a young Witch or Wizard who wants to play?
Then it's time to bring your offspring to The Geek and to tell a
Tale of the Village!

How many games am I running?
I will run one (or maybe two) game. Each game will be for one family unit. There should be at least one adult and one child.

Who is this for and what experience level should they be?
This is a New Player Initiative, however the adult who signs up can be of any experience level - old hand or new player.
The child(ren), however, should be the new-to-PbF-on-the-Geek person(s).
I want to help a parent or two out there bring their child into the fold and help them to enjoy a PbF game here and with their offspring where they do not have to do the GMing but instead can enjoy playing the game too.

What type of game will I run?
That is for YOU to decide. Each of the tables will have the child(ren) asked what they want to do/play. I will style each game to the Child's wants, so if they want to have a Troll, there will be a Troll, if they want Dragon's then there be Dragons! If they want snot-nosed-naughty-fairies then there will be a ..well you get the point

How will it work? Who will be in charge?
The parent will have their own Witch/Warlock who will act as the COMPANION to the Child(s) Witch(es)/Warlock(s). The child will be the one taking point and the game will go where the CHILD wants it to go. Naturally the adult's character (who will still be a young adult witch/warlock) can help and influence - it's about family working together. Depending on the age of the child the parent can either let them write things themselves with supervision and advice or do it for them with the child saying what they want to happen/do.

If the child has their own Geek account then feel free to use it, but I don't expect that to be the case, so they can use the parent's account. There are a few ways we could run it to help show which post is by the adult and which by the child, but that can be discussed in the OOC (Out Of Character) thread.

How long will the game last and what commitment level do I expect?
The length of these games will be pretty short. Though it does depend a bit on a few factors: How often you and your children post; their engagement levels (they are kids after all) and how long you want it to run for. I imagine at the quickest it might be two months but that's a guess.

What age should my child(ren) be for you to run this for them?
The age of the child(ren) does not bother me. If you feel they can roleplay with us then please join!
If they are a proper youngling and you as the adult have to do all of the typing for them, reading the posts and asking them what THEY want to do then so be it. If they are bordering on teenager territory and what to see what this PbF lark is all about then that's cool too. That game might edge into Harry Potter like territory if need be.

Whoever you and yours are, I look forward to helping to bring your family together with RolePlaying and to introduce them to the friendliest forum on the planet! Welcome to The Geek, Younglings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I already have an OOC thread up with rules for character creation and how to play. I figured if I started now, I could work out how best to explain things while I have time, instead of rushing when the event starts.

I still have two more rules posts I want to make, but I'm pretty happy with how I'm distilling the rules down thus far.

This is such a brilliant yet (with hindsight) blindingly obvious idea. OF COURSE we should be doing that! It makes complete sense!! AAAAAAAAAAAAA this is going to go much better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

This is such a brilliant yet (with hindsight) blindingly obvious idea. OF COURSE we should be doing that! It makes complete sense!! AAAAAAAAAAAAA this is going to go much better!

Thanks!

I mean, I can understand waiting to get an OOC thread set up if you don't think you will get enough people to join a game... but in my case, even if newbies completely reject my game, I still plan on running it for others who are interested. Or, people can cannibalize what I've written in case they are interested in creating a character or learning how combat rules work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You stand accused of capital crimes, and The Labyrinth will determine your guilt or innocence.

If you make it to the center alive, you are found innocent. If you do not...well, you are accused of capital crimes. You can take some solace in your death providing entertainment to the populace assembled to watch the trial (not attending a trial is a capital crime).

The Labyrinth twists and turns in upon itself, bending stone paths in ways that are impossible, and time even more so. Your only hope of getting through it with your mind and body intact is to work together and gain the favor of the crowd. But they favor bold stupidity and crave blood, and you start out alone. Perhaps you will find some of your fellow criminals before your life or sanity is torn from your soon-to-be crippled form?

This is a 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons adventure in the style of an old school fun-house dungeon for eight third level characters. This is not a standard adventure module. Expect wackiness, overpowered and/or useless magic items, high lethality, puzzles, secret objectives, and lots of fun.

No experience with the system is necessary. You will not require any materials to play the game. A basic guide is available for free online. Pre-generated characters are provided, or you can make your own, with or without my help.

You should be willing and able to update at least once per day, weekends excepted (though I am willing to continue playing through the weekend). Unavoidable absence is acceptable if announced. If you do not update in time, I will 'bot' your character as appropriate in order to keep the game flowing.

The GM for this game is:
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

I am finally done! I will take bets on how many PCs die and who dies first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
3; the Sex Bard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmb
Anonyme wrote:
...the Sex Bard.

But it will be glorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
downeymb wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate - is this really the best play style to introduce people to a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
downeymb wrote:
downeymb wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate - is this really the best play style to introduce people to a game?

I actually think it is perfect for PBF. If someone loses a character, they can easily drop without impacting the rest of the group. And I will have the option of just throwing another character into the fun house if they die too quickly and want to continue.

I also am probably overstating the lethality by a smidge for comedic effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
zayzayem wrote:
downeymb wrote:
downeymb wrote:

I actually think it is perfect for PBF. If someone loses a character, they can easily drop without impacting the rest of the group. And I will have the option of just throwing another character into the fun house if they die too quickly and want to continue.

I didn't say PBF.

I said for *introducing* people to RPGs and/or PBF, which is the point of this initiative.

But, you do as you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
downeymb wrote:
zayzayem wrote:
downeymb wrote:
downeymb wrote:

I didn't say PBF.

I said for *introducing* people to RPGs and/or PBF, which is the point of this initiative.

But, you do as you do.

I think as long as the elevator pitch makes it perfectly clear that this game will be different than other D&D adventures due to X, Y, and Z, you should be okay here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s important in these initiatives to offer a variety of game systems and types of games. This is definitely a different type of game than what is typically offered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Kabara
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to be a cool kid!

Biotech66 wrote:

Elevator Pitch
A stone slab shifts unexpectedly, trapping the investigators in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings. Only then do the explorers discover that they might not be down here alone. Can you escape before doom engulfs you all? This mystery set in the classic H.P. Lovecraft 1930's immediately plunges investigators into danger and insanity. This is a perfect introduction to the system, while also asking players to solve the mystery before death strikes again! (Call of Cthulhu 7th ed. 3-6 Players. Pre-gens provided.)

https://rpggeek.com/article/29794004#29794004

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Biotech66 wrote:
I want to be a cool kid!

Biotech66 wrote:

Elevator Pitch
A stone slab shifts unexpectedly, trapping the investigators in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings. Only then do the explorers discover that they might not be down here alone. Can you escape before doom engulfs you all? This mystery set in the classic H.P. Lovecraft 1930's immediately plunges investigators into danger and insanity. This is a perfect introduction to the system, while also asking players to solve the mystery before death strikes again! (Call of Cthulhu 7th ed. 3-6 Players. Pre-gens provided.)

https://rpggeek.com/article/29794004#29794004

Excellent! I hope you don't mind, I responded to the player who posted on that linked thread to inform them that signups are set to open on September 1st.

All elevator pitches will be placed into a geeklist for signups and no spots should be held before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb

Okay, GMs! Looking pretty good so far, but more games is always better. If you've already pitched a game, make sure your pitch is finalized. You're good to go! Don't add additional games for the sake of it, it's better to have one good game that runs to completion than two okay games that don't!

If you're on the fence, it's time to pick a side!

The deadline for submitting games is quickly approaching!

Scheduled Launch Date is September 1st. Pitches should be finalized before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.