Adventures in Austerion
The Powder Mage Roleplaying Game
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Silent Titans
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
Blue Planet Player's Guide
Sons of Liberty
D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Keeper Rulebook
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tomb of Annihilation
Hack the Planet: Cyberpunk Forged in the Dark
Lost in the Fantasy World
Bleach D20 Classless Board 5th Anniversary Special
Enemy in Shadows Companion
The Folio Black Label: The Sins of the Three Sisters
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Delve
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
James Bond 007
Vampire: The Masquerade (Revised Edition)
Iron Kingdoms Character Guide: Full Metal Fantasy, Volume 1
The Book of Mystery
The Rise of Tiamat
Princes of the Apocalypse
Storm King's Thunder
The GenIsys Tome
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
ZoneQuest
Bleach D20
American Genesis: The Orphen Project
Enemy in Shadows
La Trilogie de la Crasse
H1: Keep on the Shadowfell
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pagan Shore
Teenagers from Outer Space (2nd Edition)
Microscope
Carnage Amongst The Tribes
Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Nova Praxis
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
545 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2018 PbF New Player Initiative - Call for GMs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie-Initiative [+] Fiasco [+] 2018_PbF_Newbie_Initiative [+] [View All]
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
rebuscarnival wrote:
I might run an X-Men/Maze of the Blue Medusa crossover. Looking into how it might work.

That sounds awesome!

I'm a little daunted by the notion of converting all the MotBM stuff to FASERIP, and I'm not sure that system will work well anyway.

I'm also torn as whether to use pre-gen classic x-men or have the players create their own mutants. Probably the latter, as character gen is a exciting part of RPGs and prevents conflict over favorite characters and getting out of character.

We will see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb

EXPLORE DANGEROUS WORLDS!
FLY EXOTIC STARSHIPS!
MEET SEXY ALIENS!

Join the United Consortium of Planets as one of many critical roles in the space navy! Will you be the gun-shy Engineer with a desire to prove himself? A street-savvy Doctor who won't let her guard down? A debaucherous Pilot with too many axes to grind?

Take on amazing threats like the Space Pirate Queen, The Living Planet of Doom, and the Quantum Tunnel Master in a daring adventure of action and adventure! But, also, really, make sure that you're emotionally stable and hydrate well, because space is a volatile and terrifying place, and not everyone you meet wants to beam you up to a happy state of mind...

Simple rules. Lots of agency. Constant hilarity.

IT'S LASERS & FEELINGS!

This table will be for five players. You don’t need to purchase anything to play!

Related microbadge: mb

The air is getting thin, and your ears feel fuzzy and cold...

You're not sure how much longer you will be able to breathe now that the glass is cracked. This was just supposed to be a fun treasure hunt with your friends, but after opening that box in your grandfather's study, you ended up in this ship, somehow floating past Jupiter. You can't explain it, but you have to do... something!

To look through the display prompts on the navicomputer, turn to page 132.
To take one last big breath and float into the next room, turn to page 56.
To pick up the nearby crowbar and smash the big window, turn to page 1,110.

To skip the bad ending where everyone dies, CHEAT.

In this game, everyone contributes to a shared Choose Your Own Adventure novella, where players are able to write what happens next and weave the story towards its conclusion. However, each round of play forces everyone closer to one of many inevitable horrible endings which are the hallmarks of these sorts of stories.

One trick up everyone's sleeve? If you're in a bind, just CHEAT and push past to another choice! Whether exploring the Swamps of Misery, the Temple of Impossible Horror, the Starship of Exoda Primus, or some other fantastical locale, we can join together to write a unique story and fudge the details when things get rough!

Easy to play. Collaborative narrative. Write your own story.

CHEAT YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!

This table will be for five players. You don’t need to purchase anything to play!

Related microbadge: mb

ARE YOU SEEKING ADVENTURE?
HANKERING FOR SKULLDUGGERY?
WANT BIG GAINS AT LOW RISK?

If the answer to the above questions is "yes!" then there is only one satisfying option--seek work with The Xanathar, the premier businessman/maniacal crimelord in all of Faerun! The great and powerful Beholder is currently hiring full-time positions and applicants simply need to show up in Waterdeep to apply.

Benefits include:

- Competitive, modern salary
- Arcane accident insurance
- Progressive work/life balance
- 401(5e) profit sharing
- Fitness club memberships
- Quarterly cultural outings ...and much more!

This is an introductory adventure for Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, perfect for players new to the game or with minimal experience. Come for the intrigue, mystery, combat, and enjoyable roleplaying with either made-from-scratch or pre-generated characters. D&D 5e is a game with plenty of nuance, but is exceedingly easy to pick up, learn, and play over and over again. Look, there's a reason it's the "most popular" RPG--it's a ton of fun!

No prior Dungeons and Dragons experience is necessary to play, and we'll be using the Adventurer's League rules (the official Organized Play system). While you're at it, join the RPGG Adventurer's League Guild for even more active play-by-forum games!

You can find the free basic rules for D&D 5e here.

Related microbadges: mb mb mb
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
Mulligans wrote:
rebuscarnival wrote:
I might run an X-Men/Maze of the Blue Medusa crossover. Looking into how it might work.

That sounds awesome!

I'm a little daunted by the notion of converting all the MotBM stuff to FASERIP, and I'm not sure that system will work well anyway.

I'm also torn as whether to use pre-gen classic x-men or have the players create their own mutants. Probably the latter, as character gen is a exciting part of RPGs and prevents conflict over favorite characters and getting out of character.

We will see.

How lengthy would character creation be? While I agree that creating your own character is a blast, I would be careful of delaying actual game play for too long. For players that have never played an RPG, the game itself is what they're signing up for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
rebuscarnival wrote:
Mulligans wrote:
rebuscarnival wrote:

That sounds awesome!

We will see.

How lengthy would character creation be? While I agree that creating your own character is a blast, I would be careful of delaying actual game play for too long. For players that have never played an RPG, the game itself is what they're signing up for.

We'll just roll random mutant powers, no biggie, or pick from the list. Quicker than learning spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
I'll be doing a Fiasco, will have 4 (freely available) playsets for the players to choose from. Call-out for players will be added here later.

I'll be doing the same. I will pick four different playsets from you. Let's coordinate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may also have a MHRP game, depending on how many games we have going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb

Not Your Typical Roleplaying Game

* Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple *

A collaborative story in 3-8 weeks

Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple is a fantastic game full of humor and wonder and creativity, that's quite different from what you might expect from an RPG. Let me explain.

If your idea of a roleplaying game is something like D&D, where you play a character with a bunch of stats and hit points and weapons, rolling dice and doing whatever you can imagine, you might be surprised by Do. In Do, we write a story together, one sentence at a time, in a structured fashion. You decide what your character does, everybody together decides what happens to your character. Although I facilitate the game, there is no game master - we all have the same power.

The story we're telling is slapstick fantasy, about a bunch of flying monks in their early teens who may or may not have magical or whimsical powers, who try to compassionately save worlds from ridiculous problems, getting themselves in hilarious trouble in the process.

Why would you want to play Do?

It's a surprising amount of fun! We work together and make a weird and funny and touching story happen.
It's easy to learn, light, well-structured. No experience with any RPG's necessary. I've played Do with my mother and she loved it.
It's quick. Most PbF's take many months or years, if they don't fizzle out. Do can be played in weeks (or an hour or two face to face). We can play multiple adventures in a row if we want, while our characters slowly grow into adulthood, but if you're done after the first, that's perfectly fine.

If you're looking for a more traditional RPG, there are plenty of games on offer. But if you're just dipping your toes in the PbF RPG waters and you'd like to play something short, simple, and creative, I'm confident you'll love Do.

I'll take two tables of up to 3 people (so 6 people max). I expect you to check the game thread at least once every weekday to offer creative input, but occasionally skipping a day is no problem.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
A table for 3 to 6 Play by Forum RPG newcomers for:

Beyond the Shadow of a Dream,
an introductory town adventure using Advanced Fighting Fantasy, a simple d6-based RPG.

As young, keen adventurers you expect to make your mark with wild exploits in far-away places. But sometimes the adventure comes to you... With a lull in your quests, researches and other duties you find yourselves gathering most nights at The Seal, a popular inn in the bazaar quarter with a varied clientele. The beer is passable, but along with the other drinkers the main draw is the entertainment that the landlord provides. Over the last two nights, a new storyteller has had even the most hard-bitten among you thrilled and moved.

But this evening the tale is just the beginning...

Relaxing at the Inn; Merchants at the Bar

RULES FOR THE PLAY-BY-POST GAME:

Character generation is simple, but I will also have pre-generated characters to choose from or to use as guides. You will all be warriors or rogues - no magic users in this group.

1. Posting Schedule: players should be prepared to check the gamer every day, and post a minimum of once every 2 days, more if possible. I do understand the difficulties of posting more than once every day or two, and this can be complicated by time zones, so I ask that everyone try to be courteous and patient. I will be online every day and will check and respond to anyone who has performed an action or asked a question.

2. If a player misses the posting deadline, the game will go on and that person will be skipped. If this happens in the middle of combat the PC will make a standard action in line with previous choices. If it happens during a role-playing or decision making point, then that PC is assumed to remain quiet and assent to whatever decision the other PCs have come to.

3. If a player knows they are going to be out of internet range for an extended period, they can arrange for another player to post for their PC if they feel it necessary. This is at the discretion of the two players and the DM will okay it with a word of approval from BOTH players.

4. This should go without saying in this awesome group, but please be respectful towards your fellow players and the DM. This game is meant to be fun and I’d like to keep it that way. I know none of you really need this reminder, but it is better to have it as a general rule than not mention it.

5. Please feel free to ask me anything else that you would like to know.

6. Good luck, hope you enjoy the game!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okey dokie, I added a D&D 5e game to my listing above. That puts me at three hosted games for the Initiative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Okey dokie, I added a D&D 5e game to my listing above. That puts me at three hosted games for the Initiative.

Awesome! Are you giving microbadges to your players? More awesome!

Could you please include an exact number for the maximum amount of players you'll take for each entry?

Everyone will need to include that with their elevator pitches!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, can't wait! I will be running InSpectres.

---

Join the InSpectres!
"Fighting the forces of darkness so you don't have to."

Join a team of licensed paranormal investigators. Work in an exciting, fast-paced environment with dynamic, interesting people. Knowledge of Angelic script, Native American burial rites, cryptozoology, 12th century textile design, lycanthropy, Ouija board maintenance, remote viewing, and migratory patters of sponges preferred but not necessary.

Post application below.

Ghostbusters meets The Office in InSpectres, a game of paranormal investigators just trying to earn their next pay check (preferably without getting slimed).

Together you’ll...
Make your paranormal investigators. Para-psychologists, ex-military, used car salesmen, ex-strippers, and professional athletes among others can find a place with the InSpectres.

Create your own franchise. Whether a poorly funded startup or a million dollar corporation, you decide.

Reveal what happens next. It’s not just the GM, players get a chance to narrate, revealing paranormal surprises and character details as we go.

Alter events and reveal new information through the reality TV-staple: confessionals. That’s right, your character can break the fourth wall and talk to the camera!

You may like this if you...
Are a fan of all things Ghostbusters, Laundry Files, and/or paranormal mysteries.

Enjoy your supernatural investigations and vampire butt-kicking with a side of humour and quirky characters.

Want a game that is light on rules and heavy on fun.

Fancy having a high degree of narrative control and are excited by the chance to describe what happens next (whether glorious success or epic fail).

Join the InSpectres!
I'm looking for 3-5 wannabe investigators ready to gear up and not cross the streams.

No prior RPG experience required. Anyone is welcome and all rules will be taught as we go (no need to buy any books!).

Still not sold? You can also check out this awesome thread to learn more about the game. Or ask away, I'm happy to help!

Post below to join the InSpectres!

God bless,
Kezle
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Cimbaljević
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrote the pitch and now I let the realisation of what I have done settle deep in my soul and eat me from the inside.

It is so scary GMing for the first time on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
But so fun and rewarding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cimbaman wrote:
Wrote the pitch and now I let the realisation of what I have done settle deep in my soul and eat me from the inside.

Last year during the initiative was my first DM also. It is scary, but once the game starts, you will get into it and have a blast. Enjoy the scary, kind of like a haunted house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmb
cimbaman wrote:

Awesome! You'll be just fine. Congrats for taking the plunge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the words of confidence and encouragement, but I'm going to sit this one out. I might offer the game again in the spring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to offer a game of Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures. Here's my pitch:

Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures

Every home needs its heroes!

"Your small village seems like a haven to you and your friends, but it is not safe. Dangerous faeries lurk in the forest just outside of town, wicked men and ferocious monsters are a constant threat, and sometimes dark forces find their way into your neighbours’ hearts. You and your companions are young and untested, but ready to protect what matters."

In this game, you’ll play one of a group of friends who have known each other since childhood, as they take on the challenge of defending their village and those they love against some rising threat. Your character might be an aspiring warrior, rogue or mage – or some combination of those types. Character creation is an integral part of the game, and we’ll work through this collaboratively using character playbooks that will help define your character’s background, skills and abilities as well as their links and connections with other characters and with the village and its environs.

The rules themselves are fairly simple, and there’s no need for you to own / buy / download anything – I will take everyone through what you need to know. Beyond the Wall "is particularly well-suited for the brand of fantasy literature exemplified by Ursula K. LeGuin’s first three Earthsea novels and Lloyd Alexander’s Chronicles of Prydain. These are stories of low fantasy about young heroes finding their way in dangerous situations." So while some of the mechanics of the rules are very similar to "old school" games like Basic D&D, the setting and feel of the game is somewhat different. There will be adventure and action, but this won’t be a dungeon crawl to kill monsters and steal their treasure.

You’ll be able to choose your character class by selecting a suitable playbook (for example, The Witch’s Prentice is a mage, while The Young Woodsman is a rogue), but character generation is then very random based on rolling dice on a series of tables. All the characters will end up with a good range of abilities, but if you like to "build" a very specific type of character, this might not suit you.

I can take up to four players for the game. Beyond the Wall is designed to be played in a single evening, and I estimate that to translate to a manageable 3-4 months of PBF play, if we can keep up a reasonable posting rate – daily posting is the aim, though we can be flexible on occasions when that’s not possible.

• [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything inspired by Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea is inherently awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those not aware of it, here's the fantastic CHARACTER SHEET COMPENDIUM maintained by Kat Tastrophy. Having a ready-to-go template will go a long way to getting your players playing. It also does a fine job of demonstrating what rules are most important to understanding the game.

(Many people will intuitively like/dislike a game based off its character sheet alone.)

If you don't see a template for the game you want to run, whip one up. The community will thank you!

If you know of a good template that's not in the list, add it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated my post on page one (first comment after the OP). Please feel free to suggest any edits or questions I have not thought of.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been editing mine as well as the days pass, trying to make sure I get all the info down we need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been editing mine trying to make it sound more exciting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Lexicon

One of my favorite PbF experiences here was with this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keen to try that game if Caroline's tables aren't filled exclusively with new PbF users.

Just looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've been making constant tweaks to my posting, so feel free to make suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.