Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
545 Posts
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [22] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2018 PbF New Player Initiative - Call for GMs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie-Initiative [+] Fiasco [+] 2018_PbF_Newbie_Initiative [+] [View All]
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
That's awesome! I think my Lasers & Feelings game is officially dead.

Lasers and Feelings always dies. #truth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
downeymb wrote:
My Fiasco game is juuuust about over. This past week was a tad bit slow, but we will wrap up Act II today, then roll for the Aftermath and cruise through that. I suspect we will be done by the end of the week!

And we finished! Everyone had so much fun that we will be starting another game with a different playset in a couple weeks! PBF Initiative: successful!

This started yesterday and I think we are already on the third page and our setup is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I was wrong. We are now on page 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Cimbaljević
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Open Legend game is going awesomely great.
I am having fun, I think the players are having fun.
We have finished many fights and a few social encounters.
They have made a friend from an NPC, and now have one more member of the party, even though he is much much weaker than them (not a GMPC I swear).
They are in possession of the most important item in the story and can finish the game whenever they want if they give it to any of the interested parties, but they do not want to finish the game, so I think it will

So for the first GM game on the site, and the first one that is not a one-shot all together, I am very satisfied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Annowme wrote:

Three out of three games I’ve run all crashed and burned. I don’t really get it, frankly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
Annowme wrote:

Three out of three games I’ve run all crashed and burned. I don’t really get it, frankly.

It has to be extremely bad luck. You are a heck of an imaginative guy and I am glad we are in games together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
Annowme wrote:

That's PBF. Sometimes the game really, really hits, and sometimes it really, really misses. And not necessarily through any fault of your own. Just one unengaged player (whether from a bad fit with the game or other players, or just RL stuff going on) can kill a game.

And Lasers and Feelings is one of those games that is not everyone's cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guyfumble wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
Annowme wrote:

It has to be extremely bad luck. You are a heck of an imaginative guy and I am glad we are in games together.

Aw, shucks, Craig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
Annowme wrote:

I'd play Lasers & Feelings with you!

Heh, I question what went wrong with my second table for Lexicon as it is soooo different from the first table (and seemingly so confused/lost). We'll see if it limps on to the finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are on page 12 for Cheat your own Adventure, just qaiting for it to be posted. The last couple of pages the pacing really went down and the number of players as well... We're finishing with 3 players (myself included)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Guyfumble wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
Annowme wrote:

Aw, shucks, Craig.

It has nothing to do with GMing; it’s the game. Check the archives.
Maybe the tone is difficult to get right, or the system is alienating after all. Lasers&Feelings is a bloody albatross.
A space albatross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Guyfumble wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
Annowme wrote:

Aw, shucks, Craig.

Maybe the tone is difficult to get right, or the system is alienating after all. Lasers&Feelings is a bloody albatross.
A space albatross.

If I do run it again here, I'm definitely naming the IC thread "Space Albatross."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
A space albatross.

If I do run it again here, I'm definitely naming the IC thread "Space Albatross."

When you start that game, I'll be there, playing in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
A space albatross.

Duly noted! Huzzah!

EDIT: I missed this above. Thanks, Carrie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be sitting on the sidelines shaking my grizzled head about those damn foolish kids who are trying to make work what never has worked before.

Edit: Just kidding, if the esteemed Ms. Berg is playing, I would be well tempted to try and dispel the curse with her. And you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
A space albatross.

Duly noted! Huzzah!

I'll give L&F a 2nd attempt too (my 1st attemp fizzled too!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Annowme wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Againsto wrote:
A space albatross.

Duly noted! Huzzah!

I'll give L&F a 2nd attempt too (my 1st attemp fizzled too!!)

I would also play. New game for me, new games are always good (well almost always..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
irregular guest for a couple of days - mostly offline
mb
Againsto wrote:
Lasers&Feelings is a bloody albatross.
A space albatross.

For PBF, or in general? It's worked perfectly for me in face-2-face games a couple of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one problem is that GMs try to get six players so as to fill the roster and have every role in the game, and then in PbF it gets bloated, goes gonzo/silly/pulp (at best!), and eventually the buy-in fades and the system is not strong enough to bind people to the game, especially if there is six of them and you roll like once every other page.
If somebody ran this again as a PbF, I would strongly recommend a maximum of 3-4 players. Because it seems silly, but your mechanical decisions are supposed to matter storewise; and with 6 players, you'll just be making very few of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
I think one problem is that GMs try to get six players so as to fill the roster and have every role in the game, and then in PbF it gets bloated, goes gonzo/silly/pulp (at best!), and eventually the buy-in fades and the system is not strong enough to bind people to the game, especially if there is six of them and you roll like once every other page.
If somebody ran this again as a PbF, I would strongly recommend a maximum of 3-4 players. Because it seems silly, but your mechanical decisions are supposed to matter storewise; and with 6 players, you'll just be making very few of them.

I agree 100%. Granted, only the Newbie game featured six players. The first was four folks and the second was three--both bombed. So be it! I'll revisit this next week. I must admit, however, that the Banner Makers did a bang-up job with the crew of the SS Probable Demise for the latest game that fizzled out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Heh, I question what went wrong with my second table for Lexicon as it is soooo different from the first table (and seemingly so confused/lost). We'll see if it limps on to the finish.

Carrie, maybe the players are having a problem with how to create the pages and lists necessary for Lexicon.

I had a blast playing it, and in the beginning was a ton of fun, then you have to start linking to other articles and lists and I really struggled with that until I had some help. Once that happened the game became one of my favorites again.

I wonder if some are having that same issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guyfumble wrote:
Quote:

Carrie, maybe the players are having a problem with how to create the pages and lists necessary for Lexicon.

I had a blast playing it, and in the beginning was a ton of fun, then you have to start linking to other articles and lists and I really struggled with that until I had some help. Once that happened the game became one of my favorites again.

I wonder if some are having that same issue?

That's a good question - I asked if they had any questions, and no responses so far... so... could be?

I think there is a bigger issue of them not understanding the telephone alphabet system - how we are supposed to only post entries for certain letters groups at a time, and how their citations need to be for letters that aren't already full of citations. Both of which were explained, but don't seem to have sunk in.

I'll post all the completed entries so they can easily grab them for their posts, and then I'll move on to the next letter. However, it's down to something like one post every few weeks. *shrugs*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they will get posting again, at least it isn't dead, totally.

Jim,

Those banners are fantastic. I think that is the coolest thing the way the players were able to request those. I know my MOTW players each got them and have had a lot of fun, it seems to keep them into character. We just started the new IC for First Rule: Don't talk about Monster Fight Club
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am of two minds about character banners. On the one hand: awesome, yes, let's keep everyone in the spirit of the theme, especially when playing over the course of several months! On the other, I sometimes feel like it boxes in my imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thoroughly love banners, mostly because I'm a visually oriented person and at a glance I can tell who is talking/doing rather than cross referencing a player name to a character name, or trying to remember if "Bill" is the half-orc, or the cyborg, or the pink floating spirit of doom.

So I like banners more for how it helps me see & remember other players than anything it really does about my own.

I see them like a snapshot, capturing the essence of the character, as they were when the banner was made. Sometimes the character out grows them, which is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.