Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: QOTD Sept 13: Do you collect anything other than RPG's? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] collecting_collector [+] [View All]
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been asked before but...

Do you collect anything other than RPG's?

What do you collect?

How extensive is your collection?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Today I want to be a hypocrite.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I deliberately collect anything else. Some might say boardgames, but I haven't bought one without playing it in a long time.

At one point, I think an argument could have been made that I collected web domains, but I don't own nearly as many as I used to.

So I'm going with nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
Where the other half of my money goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Board games and HO Scale model trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games, Chess Life magazine, nutcrackers, and miniature figurines of red dragons, the Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings.

Edit: and Groo the Wanderer comic books.

And oh, they collect dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't even collect RPGs. Stuff for the sake of stuff... no thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even collect RPGs. If anything, now, I'm an un-collector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames, but I'm not a serious collector. I currently own 166 of all kinds (many for sale in the Marketplace) but only 30 Eurogames that I currently play. Another person in my game group owns more than me. I "suggest" a couple of new ones at Christmas time each year for my spousal unit to gift me. I rarely buy at other times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames. I continue to add to that collection and some of them get played!

I have collections of concert ticket stubs and keychains from various places I've visited, but I'm not adding much to those these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not really. Well, maybe books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
National Geographic Maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also not much of a collector of RPGs. I am a bit of a one trick pony. though I have dabbled in a few others.

I have a growing collection of Dwarven Forge terrain.

I do collect dragon miniatures.

I also collect autographed NFL jerseys.

I have an extensive collection of books on medieval warfare.

I have a small collection of medieval weapons and helmets.

When I traveled through Europe, I collected metal plaques for my walking stick. And I collect caps of the places I visit worldwide.

I have kids, so I guess I'll have to add by collection of Disney Movies (and Pixar).

Most the collections have stagnated. I still maintain what I have, but I haven't added much to most of the collections, (except the movies and Dwarven Forge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Books. It seems I buy them faster than I can read them. Luckily, they're cheap because I buy them used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I "collect" RPGs. I definitely "accumulate" them. But that's not really a collection. It's just a dumb habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly accumulate boardgames (a small collection), books and a few comics, CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays, and guitars.

Also dust. And medical ailments.

I do read, watch, and play the things I buy, though, so I'm not a "collector" in the full-blown speculator/keep-it-in-the-original-packaging-to-preserve-its-market-value sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Way too much.

I also collect toys. Mostly Japanese Kamen Rider ones these days but I also get other IPs when they come out by the same manufacturer/same line (so it also includes DC & Marvel dudes, Star Wars, and some sentai stuff). At one point, my collection took up 14 full sized book cases (opened items) and a storage unit. I sold off about half of them in 2012 when I moved halfway across the country. I brought in a little over $27k for my "extras" and "lower priority" stuff over the 10 months I was selling.

I stopped collecting comics in the early 00's, but I still have 28 (I think) long boxes full (at @400 books each...it's a lot). Most of it is late 70's to early 90's stuff so there's a lot of hot/famous first printings in there.

I used to collect DVDs but they are all just boxed up since I switched to maintaining a media server, instead.

I collect prop replicas (lightsabers, rings, helmets, jackets, etc) and knives. I have a few swords. When I get another display case, I won't have any excuse not to start buying up Kamen Rider helmets. There's a couple places online that make some nigh-flawless wearable replicas.

Board games, too. More than I can guess at a number, but a great many. Shadows of Brimstone is currently taking up a lot of time with all the assembly, organizing, and so on.

I cherrypick Masterpiece edition Transformers, Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, and I still have far too many vintage items (lots of original Star Wars and Micronauts, 80's G.I. Joe, Mego, a complete set of Silverhawks). I have most of the '99 Microman (Micronauts) line and most of the Microforce Microman line. I have pretty much the whole run of the 25th Anniversary Edition G.I. Joe stuff up until they switched to the mvie line - just need a couple convention exclusives to finish off the set.

I sold off most of my MTG collection (2 of my Black Lotus cards paid for my wedding and honeymoon) but I still have boxes of other CCGs packed away.

Oh, and bills. I have lots and lots of bills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm known as the collector of collections here. Boardgames, CDs, comics, Malt Whisky, miniatures, war games, some card games (not magic though. I had to get out of that or I'd be broke), books,...

I believe that's it currently. There used to be more but I got better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games: 400+
Guitars: 11

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames ... I recently was awarded this one: mb

CDs ... even if I nowadays rip them immediately after buying, I still buy new ones and put them onto my shelf. And even if I listen to the digital FLAC files, I get the CD from the shelf and browse through the booklet while listening. There are 3200+ albums in my collection.

Comic books. Mainly the old Franco-Belgian school. But also many others. I own about 2000 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D.
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bass guitars amps and assorted gear (effects and such)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Richter
Germany
Göttingen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
GO!
badge
What is this overtext thing people are talking about?
mbmbmbmbmb
As a kid, I collected stamps and coins (though without a particular system/ interest or thoroughness). As a teenager, I started collecting gemstones. And books. I guess I still collect books, in some way. I still have the stamps, coins, and gemstones, and think about giving away the stamps to a colleague.

But nowadays, what particularly would come to mind are
mb dice. I have about 1800, I think.
German RPG periodicals (fanzines etc.). Several hundred issues. I hope to someday have the time to enter them into our database, list the articles etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The usual fare: Board games, European/Asian comics, books.

But really, board games is the only think I can actually classify as a collection, the rest is more accumulation, as previous posters mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars.

I don't have the usual collection of figures or books or comics. I collect versions of the original trilogy. I've got the original CBS video VHS release, the 1990ish THX Remastered version, the Special Edition in both widescreen and Pan-and-scan formats and the 2004 DVD re-release that has both the re-remastered Special Editions and the original theatrical releases. One day I hope to have the lazerdiscs, the original Betamax release and the Video-record version (can't remember the name of the format but they're records in these big plastic cartridges and you had to flip them half way through, and most movies had to come on 2 or more discs) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I don't even collect RPGs. Stuff for the sake of stuff... no thank you.

I'm a collector - maybe Clark and Doug have it right, accumulator - by nature. I have really cut back on that the past few years though.

When I realized I wasn't really reading - and especially enjoying - comics, I stopped cold turkey. I've really cut back on RPGs.

That leaves board games. I increased the collection, but now things are getting played instead of sitting. I still have the issue of having so many games that I enjoy that I want to play more. So, why am I buying new stuff?

I've recently put an artificial restraint on myself to only purchase a board game when I've put three to bed (or an rpg book when I've read three from my reading pile). At my pace, this is a pretty severe restraint. We'll see how it goes. I'm trying hard to get three books read before The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game hits Kickstarter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:

I've recently put an artificial restraint on myself to only purchase a board game when I've put three to bed (or an rpg book when I've read three from my reading pile). At my pace, this is a pretty severe restraint. We'll see how it goes. I'm trying hard to get three books read before The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game hits Kickstarter...

I have the same restraint on a handful of other items, namely video games. It is too easy to buy the next new thing. I have a game in a couple of different genres, but I prevent myself from buying a new game in a genre until I finish the old game. Sometimes, this makes me late to the next big thing, but the good thing is that the game is usually discounted by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.