Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
MWChapel wrote:
quozl wrote:
I've been reading the Appendix N novels from AD&D recently. It's really cool to read fantasy before D&D codified everything and fantasy changed to fit D&D.

Interesting, I didn't even remember that appendix. In it Three Hearts and Three Lions by Paul Anderson has piqued my interest. I may have to put that into my queue.

That's a really fun one. There's so many things in there that clearly inspired Gygax -- regenerating trolls, paladins losing their powers due to impure thoughts or actions, the cosmic war of law v. chaos... good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lincoln
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GURPS Swashbucklers has a great bibliography that introduced me to Sabatini's Captain Blood and Anthony Hope.

I think I only started reading the Dresden Files after I heard about the RPG (although I don't own the RPG).

As a kid I was into Dragonlance, but I think my Mum picked Legend of Huma second hand somewhere as my introduction thinking about it, so that doesn't really count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see the nonfiction part before. I didn't necessarily discover anything because of RPGs, but I read a lot of things that I might not have because of wanting to know something about them in running RPGs.

Such as, about 1/3 of the Encyclopedia Britannica I was looking for tech info, government options, etc. Then I read a bunch of "Foxfire" books, which are about hand crafts from a later era than I usually run, but still interesting for possibilities on what might be occurring in a society.

Finally, I really enjoyed Naval Warfare Under Oars. Most nautical books for the layman are heavy on pictures, short on explanations, or are focused on modern sailing. Rodgers book is an exception to that trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
quozl wrote:
I've been reading the Appendix N novels from AD&D recently. It's really cool to read fantasy before D&D codified everything and fantasy changed to fit D&D.

Interesting, I didn't even remember that appendix. In it Three Hearts and Three Lions by Paul Anderson has piqued my interest. I may have to put that into my queue.

That's a really fun one. There's so many things in there that clearly inspired Gygax -- regenerating trolls, paladins losing their powers due to impure thoughts or actions, the cosmic war of law v. chaos... good times.

Yeah, that troll is scary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Already knew about Tolkien (Hobbit/LOTR) priorate AD&D. I went for the reference section and quickly added these favorites (in order of preference) to my reading list:
Conan series by Robert E. Howard
John Carter of Mars by Edgar Rice Boroughs
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series by Fritz Leiber.
the books about Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock
H. P. Lovecraft
(the first two led to also collecting comics)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
The Warhammer Gotrek & Felix series I found very enjoyable.

Oh yeah now that you mention it I've read the first in the Gotrek & Felix series (an anthology I think it was?), as well as the Dan Abnett first of the Horus Heresy books (there's 40+ of them??)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
quozl wrote:

I tracked it down and read it due to knowing its influence, but I wasn't very impressed with it as a novel. It was a bit neat seeing all the random one-off things that got codified as D&D tropes, but it was kind of plodding, suffers from the common fantasy problem of being a succession of set-pieces which are fine individually but don't add up to an interesting plot, and, like most SF/F pre-1980, has some issues with the characterization of women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poul Anderson was pretty dialed into the ancient Nordic mindset, and was able to portray it from multiple angles. But he wasn't limited to that. The "Kingdom of Ys" is a fantasy early dark ages tale that particularly does a good job of getting into different mindsets. (Fair warning, it's a bit brutal, and there is no sugar coating some of it.)

He also has a set of collected essays and short stories, called, "On Fantasy," which is thought provoking at times and hilarious at others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Larry Niven & Lovecraft, I got to quite a few books from the bibliography of the GURPS Horror sourcebooks (both editions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiction:

Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series and other works; I started the Elric stories after reading about them in Deities & Demigods, and just went on from there.

H. P. Lovecraft's entire corpus; he was mentioned in Deities & Demigods as well, but I wasn't inspired to try him until I bought Call of Cthulhu (2nd edition)

I only started reading Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur after acquiring King Arthur Pendragon.

Do tie-ins count? I've read a handful of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay tie-in books (of variable quality) to get a better feel for the Old World... and I bought and read a Dragon Age tie-in, of which the less said the better. And I guess I'd have to include the Dragonlance novels and short-story collections I bought, as I got DL1 Dragons of Despair and DL2 Dragons of Flame long before I knew there would be fiction to go along with the game adventures.

Non-fiction:

Nothing's leaping immediately to mind, though I'm sure there must have been at least one book discovered in this way. RPGs have certainly inspired me to pick up a lot of books on history (Penguin Historical Atlas books, Osprey books, etc.), but I can't think of any cases where these books were mentioned explicitly in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Shattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Benevolentgamemaster wrote:
Lovecraft here as well...

While gaming caused be to read HPL, reading HPL caused me to detest his writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Benevolentgamemaster wrote:
Lovecraft here as well...

While gaming caused be to read HPL, reading HPL caused me to detest his writing.

thumbsup

I find I prefer other writers who took his ideas and made them their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.