Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this question makes sense.

Which fiction books have you discovered and enjoyed only after first learning about them from playing or reading an RPG?

Which non-fiction books have you discovered and enjoyed only after first learning about them from playing or reading an RPG?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovecraft - I would probably never have read it if not for Call of Cthulhu (1st Edition).

The Princes of Amber - great series of novels that I started reading after getting the brilliant Amber Diceless Role-Playing.

As for non-fiction, not much that I can think of, really...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read a lot of Lovecraft as a result of playing Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Shattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
ElfQuest - I found the game in a bargain bin. Licensed game.
Albedo - I found the game in a bargain bin. Licensed game.
Lensmen - References in Traveller.
Ringworld - References in Traveller.
Bill the Galactic Hero - References in Traveller
Vance's Dying Earth - after many years, I finally saw the DE RPG, grabbed it to see what Vance was REALLY about, which lead me to read 3.5 books in. Cugel is NOT clever, Rhialto is NOT magnificent.
Mouse Guard - bought the RPG on preorder because I loved the other BW line games. Got into the comics from there.

Elric I learned about from a boardgame. Same with Dune... and Aspirin's Myth series. And Dragonriders of Pern.

I read a couple of Vondra McIntire's Trek novels because I'd seen her on the forums for SFB...

I read one of Bill Kieth's novels because of his work in Traveller. I prefer his traveller writing to his novels. (Sorry, Bill.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
“I can't bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.' It isn't that I can't toddle. It's just that I can't guess I'll toddle.” ― Robert Benchley
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much, really. Long before the first RPG was published, I grew up reading all the classic fiction that influenced it.

I had to rack my brain to think of a book that does answer this question, and finally came up with Nor Crystal Tears, which I was inspired to try after reading GURPS Humanx. And it's a pretty good first contact novel, so that was a bonus. I did start a novel by Paul Kidd based on his Lace & Steel RPG, but it wasn't very good so doesn't qualify for the "... and enjoy" part of this question.

I did discover and read a ton of non-fiction in order to write many of my books, but that's not quite the same thing as is being asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Certainly Vance, but other than that its much harder say. I had read LOTR before finding D&D, and read HPL before I actually played CoC. I think I even read some Dragonlance books before I actually played, but the past appears but darkly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun (1st Edition): Never Cut A Deal With A Dragon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Few, The Proud, The Steves
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend ran a D&D campaign based on Bridge of Birds. Without having read the book (or knowing the campaign was based on a book), I played a character who wound up being a lot like Number 10 Ox, one of the protagonists of the novel.

Once the first story arc finished I read and loved the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had already read some of the classics, Lord of the Rings, and some of Vance's Sci/fi, but most of the rest of Appendix N was new to me when I first got the AD&D DMG. Vance and Poul Anderson are probably my favorites from that list. Where I was at the time, you couldn't get much fantasy. They'd have an occasional book in the sci/fi section of a bookstore, and nothing in the libraries.

I envied my cousin. His gaming group all volunteered to work in their school library. The librarian appreciated their effort so much, she gave them a lot of leeway in what the school ordered. I think that little country school probably had the best fantasy section in a 100 mile radius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
The Princes of Amber - great series of novels that I started reading after getting the brilliant Amber Diceless Role-Playing.

Yup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Web
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the first two books of the Dark Elf Trilogy which are Drizzt books. I wanted to make a story as close to the "canon" as possible and I really enjoyed reading them. I should probably get around the reading the final installment in the trilogy soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've discovered the Forgotten Realms thanks to D&D, but haven't read any of the novels yet. I'm intrigued and would like to discover more, but the sheer number of offerings in that setting makes getting into it seem a bit daunting. I wouldn't know where to begin, and reading all of the books would take up WAY too much time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovecraft here as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
The only series that springs to mind are The Laundry Files by Charles Stross
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually read them yet, but I'm interested in reading the Mistborn books as a result of the RPG. I backed the dice on kickstarter, because they looked cool and I like pretty dice, and they included the PDF of the RPG, which I read, and I liked the setting, especially the detail that there's shapeshifter, but they have an ironclad religious prohibition on killing, to immediately circumvent the obvious plots and force the story in more interesting directions, like a Three Laws of Robotics for doppelgängers. That bit of worldbuilding got me sufficiently interested to want to read the books. (Also, my brother is an author who learned to self-publish and attended a seminar with Brandon Sanderson, and says he's a great person.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Clare
United Kingdom
Watford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Viking by H Beam Piper
Shadow of the Storm Martin J Dougherty
Shadowrun novels
Neuromancer
Snowcrash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiction

Amber
Weapons of the Gods

Non-fiction

Some astrophysics, and a bunch of history that I likely would have never read otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovecraft, and following from there, Lord Dunsany. Discovering Dunsany is the greatest thing reading Lovecraft has done to me.

Dragonlance. I read the first three books and decided not to go any further.
Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Which fiction books have you discovered and enjoyed only after first learning about them from playing or reading an RPG?

I wouldn't say I enjoyed them, but Lovecraft's works and the DragonLance Forgotten History series are the only ones. In the case of all the other RPGs I've played/read, I've read the source material long before I've played the RPGs which use said material!

And I can't think of any non-fiction books I've learned about from playing RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
None from RPG's, but I did read the Bolo series after playing playing OGRE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So, so many. I'd read a lot of the popular stuff before I got into RPGs (Tolkien, Dragonlance, Asimov, etc.).

But during my GURPS obsession in the late 80s through early 90s, I bought tons of sourcebooks. And one of the many excellent things about GURPS sourcebooks (in addition to the otherwise general high quality of them) is their extensive bibliography. I used that as a jumping-off point for years of reading. Among others:

Lovecraft (leading into other Mythos writers)
Zelazny
Pohl
Bester
Stephenson
Le Guin
RA Wilson (and Discordiana in general)

... and many, many more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warhammer Gotrek & Felix series I found very enjoyable.

And I probably wouldn't know or have read Lovecraft without the Call of Cthulhu RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the Appendix N novels from AD&D recently. It's really cool to read fantasy before D&D codified everything and fantasy changed to fit D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pennisi
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I've read the Hobbit, Song of Roland, and Beowulf after I started playing D&D.

Later I read Lovecraft and Clarke Aston Smith because of Call of Cthulhu.

I haven't read any non-fiction books per se. I've done extensive reading and research on the web for Call of Cthulhu about The Great War and the 1920s in Cuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
quozl wrote:
I've been reading the Appendix N novels from AD&D recently. It's really cool to read fantasy before D&D codified everything and fantasy changed to fit D&D.

Interesting, I didn't even remember that appendix. In it Three Hearts and Three Lions by Paul Anderson has piqued my interest. I may have to put that into my queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.