Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Let's Make a Derelict Together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I read the map, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
That's how I read the map, too.

Excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Clare
United Kingdom
Watford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
carlc wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Can we have more than one area?

I'd love to take both Middle 12a (the first set of isolation cells) and Upper 9 (the galley).

Caroline,

Just to make sure that I don't step in your toes. I'm presuming the isolation cells are in the 4 black areas in the middle of the area?

Yep!

The black areas are the walls/pillars, and there are eight small cells within those four.

Cool. That's what I meant - just didn't say it very well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never done any rpg design but the other thread looked so fun, I have to give it a shot.

I will take the fuel areas: Lower 3/Middle 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
carlc wrote:
Cool. That's what I meant - just didn't say it very well!

Feel free to have things leading in/out of them in your section. I'm only going to deal with what is (or isn't) inside each cell.

Which brings me to my next general question... how scary/gruesome are we aiming at here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, more maps to detail! I'm in!

Are Middle Deck areas 11c/d and 12b still unclaimed? I'd like to take them.

Thank you once more for taking your time to run another communal project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will take Middle 5. I'll see what kind of bizarre things I can populate the Guards' Quarters with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
By necessity it will be a "gonzo" style derelict, more along the lines of Metamorphosis Alpha than something more controlled.

To save other people looking this up:
https://rpggeek.com/rpgfamily/39014/metamorphosis-alpha
https://rpggeek.com/thread/1387123/metamorphosis-alpha-syste...
AKA early dungeon crawl in space.

Personally, I'd prefer to avoid heavy horror (gore, extreme weirdness), but I'm okay with lite horror atmosphere, given that it is a derelict for unknown reasons with escaped prisoners aboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a preliminary DRAFT version of Random Events. I intend to, hopefully, update this as I get more ideas and as I see what other people write for their sections.

If you roll a result that you’ve already used, carefully consider whether it is appropriate to use the same result again or instead reroll.

1-2 wandering monster/prisoner
3-4 senses
5-6 environment

Monsters:
1 The Cracker
'The Cracker' is a 4 armed octopus-like, camouflage capable, bio-harpoon wielding, alien wanted for murdering his food. Has a chance of cracking space suits, and on fleshy beings has a chance of puncturing equipment behind them. Likes the warmth of various engineering areas, but is not above acquiring more food, particularly if disturbed. The bio harpoon runs the length of his body, propelled by hydraulics, and tipped with corundum. Mini feeder tentacles serve to transport cracked food to the mouth. For camo reference, see Hank from the movie Finding Dory.

2 Antbats
A shadowy mound rises from the floor or hangs from the ceiling. It is composed of a hivemind of antbat individuals with the bite of bullet ants, the flying and echolocation of bats, and the collective intelligence of a primitive. They are known to farm, but they don’t understand the concept of outer space. They believe possession is ownership, and so they are a thieving race, picking up anything that anyone lays down. They can ‘see’ around corners. They are vulnerable to are effect weapons, and resistant to piercing or slashing ones.

3 Incorporeal Insubstantial Wall Rats
You hear a scratching sound and then it as if the very walls pour forth a swarm of rats. But they pass right through you. They will only scavenge the already wounded. They are doubly attracted to fresh blood. (Count a reroll as this event instead, if there is an open wound present.) Perhaps biological specimens were being transported in addition to prisoners.

4 Organized Crime Functionary plus player number of thugs
He arrogantly thinks that organized crime has come to bust him out. He’s already taken the precaution of deleting the prisoner/passenger records on the ship. The thugs are no match for a group of marines, but could be a problem for an isolated marine, and certainly for a small number of crewmembers.

5 Cook or assistant cook, doctor or nurse, and security guard
These 3 crewmembers are suffering paranoid delusions from an unknown source. Each is convinced that one of the other 2 is responsible for the mess the ship is in, after all anyone of them *could* have done it.

6 Brain
A hypnotically pulsing naked brain directs one of you to turn against the others (mental or psychic attack). Upon closer examination, the brain is more coral like, made of sharp silicon blades atop a dog like body with webbed feet.

Senses:
1 The sound of little girl laughter is followed by 5 seconds of deranged screaming abruptly cut off.

2 Coded banging starts and fades away before you get more than a word or two.

3 The corridor itself groans as if the metal is being twisted.

4 Rapid bursts of weapon’s fire echoes down the passageway.

5 You experience flavor burst of orange followed by bitter smokiness and then an almost drowning saltiness. It is as if something is trying to communicate with you in a language it is just starting to learn. Your head aches.

6 Coppery smell of blood.

7 You smell stale vomit, probably from zero g disorientation.

8 Strong antiseptic assaults your nose.

9 The vents bring the delicious smell of cooked food to you from somewhere on the ship.

10 It is as if cold slime is running down your back, but nothing is there.

11 A broken piece of conduit falls on your shoulder from behind.

Environment:
1 A small object on the floor suddenly spurts glow in the dark liquid over you. It will take time to clean it off.

2 A cloud of obscuring smoke rolls toward you.

3 The ceiling sprays prisoner restraint foam over you that quickly hardens.

4 The lights switch from on to off or off to on.

5 Gravity fails here.

6 Exposed wiring is sparking and is clearly a fire hazard.

7 Oil is dripping into a puddle on the floor. Drip, drip, drip.

8 A computer is flashing an error message over and over. You can’t clear it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have an internal gore meter I can use (how much is too much? I have no idea!)

So would these be a bit much?

Option 1:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a fine pink mist coating the walls of the cell. Upon a closer investigation is a fine red droplets dotting the white of the cell walls. And then you notice an ear stuck to the wall. Suddenly you realize other shapes of what used to be a prisoner.

Options 2:
A body is stacked, lying in the cell, perfectly sheared in half. Almost more disturbing is that there is no blood to be seen. There is a faint odor of chemical preservatives, and a bit of white dust can be seen on the body. It seems it has been stored here on purpose.

Option 3:
The walls of the cell are a pale blue color, with faint tracery of darker blue lines in abstract patterns running up them. They seem to pulse faintly and are warm to the touch. Too warm. As your hand sinks deeper into the walls, you get the feeling the tracery of lines wasn't drawn by a bored inmate. These walls are alive, and would like you to merge with it!

I mean, not all the cells are going to be like these; I do want to mix it up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:

Environment:
4 The lights switch from on to off or off to on.

5 Gravity fails here.

I think maybe I should change these 2 to 'momentary flickers', so as not to disturb the 'room' they are in too much. ??

I'm open to suggestions, though I'd prefer not to receive a full, detailed, dissection about how everything I wrote is wrong and I should feel bad about having written it. You know, somewhere in the positive criticism / encouraging realm instead. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's my initial idea for the fuel tanks:

Middle 3A & 3B would be collection points for all the gray water and waste from the ship, along with a Goldberg machine of filtration media covered by various bacteria, etc collected from across the galaxy. Collectively, the biological filtration processes create exhaust heat which is collected and sent to the engine. These collection tanks have valve mechanisms which control the speed of sewage flow through the giant filter and thus the amount of "fuel" being sent to the engine. Oxygen is also produced and circulated back into the living areas.

Lower 3A & 3C would be a continuation of the above - the waste filtration process consumes all this space vertically. They ultimately produce the other output: water. It is sent to storage in...

Lower 3B is a huge tank full of water officially deemed just clean enough for use by prisoners. It is piped to their cells from here for their use. Water is also siphoned and sent to the crew areas but undergoes additional filtration on the way.

So I think rather than encounters in any of these spots, the whole system could be used to manipulate the environment of the ship.

I was thinking the initial state would be somewhat intermittent venting of waste into the filtration system on one side, enough to keep life support going anyway per the description. The valve on the other side would be shut, so any breach before it is opened will result in a huge sewage spill.

So there would be controls for the various valves between the areas which could be manipulated by smart PCs creating possible passages, death traps, permanently fixing or destroying life support, etc.

And for PCs who don't figure out how it works, possibly serious problems.

I don't want to force too much on whoever is doing Engineering so I am very willing to change any or all of this. And I would also still need to figure out how to actually convey all this information via the key format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I don't really have an internal gore meter I can use (how much is too much? I have no idea!)

So would these be a bit much?
snip
I mean, not all the cells are going to be like these; I do want to mix it up a bit.

If there are an assortment and those represent the most questionable, that seems just fine to me personally.

I think maybe I should change these 2 to 'momentary flickers', so as not to disturb the 'room' they are in too much. ??

I'm open to suggestions, though I'd prefer not to receive a full, detailed, dissection about how everything I wrote is wrong and I should feel bad about having written it. You know, somewhere in the positive criticism / encouraging realm instead. robot

I found all your lists evocative personally.

If you are concerned about hijacking a room, you could just put a note to that effect like the one you already have about rerolling the same result. Let the GM decide if they like/can figure out the impact or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fine to work out stuff here in this thread. Once you're room is reasonably complete, please put your work directly into the wiki:

https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/RPGG_Build_a_Derelict_Together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Still no one interested in the Introduction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How does this sound for an Introduction?

"The Tantalus Gambit"

Introduction

When the ConFed has prisoners too valuable to execute and too dangerous to keep in the HighSec facilities coreward, they secure the criminals aboard the ships in the Maximum Security Fleet. The longest serving in this capacity is the Tartarus, a hardened and upgraded version of the common heavy freight liner Niobe class. Exact specifications are closely guarded secrets and the location and itinerary are need to know only.

But word travels fast in your circles.

The Tartarus is late to rendezvous with sister ship the Erebus to transfer prisoners. And your contacts have tipped you off to where it might be found. Can you profit from the knowledge?

Heit Ghul, the infamous crime boss, was supposedly aboard. Are mercenaries of his syndicate trying to free him? Poet Jhota Bell, famous for her heretical works defaming The Whisperers of Truth, tipped her location as Tartarus to her devotees. Are the Whisperers looking for revenge? Or is there some as yet unknown cause? ConFed are surely looking for the ship to maintain law and order too.

You've got jump coordinates. You'll have to work fast; if you know, who else does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
How does this sound for an Introduction?

"The Tantalus Gambit"

Introduction

When the ConFed has prisoners too valuable to execute and too dangerous to keep in the HighSec facilities coreward, they secure the criminals aboard the ships in the Maximum Security Fleet. The longest serving in this capacity is the Tartarus, a hardened and upgraded version of the common heavy freight liner Niobe class. Exact specifications are closely guarded secrets and the location and itinerary are need to know only.

The Tartarus is late to rendezvous with sister ship the Erebus to transfer prisoners. And your contacts have tipped you off to where it might be found. Can you profit from the knowledge?

Heit Ghul, the infamous crime boss, was supposedly aboard. Are mercenaries of his syndicate trying to free him? Poet Jhota Bell, famous for her heretical works defaming The Whisperers of Truth, tipped her location as Tartarus to her devotees. Are the Whisperers looking for revenge? Or is there some as yet unknown cause? ConFed are surely looking for the ship to maintain law and order too.

You've got jump coordinates. You'll have to work fast; if you know, who else does?

Is there a way to give the players the option of being a group of marines from the ConFed sent to recapture the ship? In other words, I think it would be cool if the players can play through once as marines, once as mercenaries, once as organized crime, once as revenge poets, once as non-military rescue, etc. I'd expect each group would have a different loadout of character types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Is there a way to give the players the option of being a group of ...

What about the introduction suggests you can't be anything you like?

You sign up to work with the ConFed to rescue the ship. Or you get the mob boss first; do you kill him or rescue him before rivals? Are you there to hep the poet? Punish her? Capture Whisperers for an unrelated task?

The Intro was written to allow many variations and points of interest. Do you feel it misses that goal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a WIP on Random Events. I've added:

Senses:
12 Locally chilled area due to a pinhole refrigerant leak.

Items:
1 Jetpack, but no suit. Wall seems dented here.

2 Medikit: it seems mostly complete but it is missing its painkiller drugs.

3 Scattered dry foods and broken packaging on the floor. Looks like someone ran away suddenly.

4 Clothes are glued to a wall to form a startling silhouette. What is that out of the corner of your eye!?

5 A food tray has been broken, then sharpened into an improvised weapon. It could probably chop a head off.

6 Reader with Biographies of the Criminally Insane volumes 1-10 on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Is there a way to give the players the option of being a group of ...

What about the introduction suggests you can't be anything you like?

You sign up to work with the ConFed to rescue the ship. Or you get the mob b oss first; do you kill him or rescue him before rivals? Are you there to hep the poet? Punish her? Capture Whisperers for an unrelated task?

The Intro was written to allow many variations and points of interest. Do you feel it misses that goal?

cosine wrote:

'your, your, you and you' here suggest to me only the mercenary option. I don't know... maybe someone else reads that differently. I'd just prefer to be explicit about the possibility of the players being from one of several groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'd just prefer to be explicit about the possibility of the players being from one of several groups.

The instructions in the project header suggest it be kept as flexible as possible. I think explicit designations would run counter to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
I'd just prefer to be explicit about the possibility of the players being from one of several groups.

The instructions in the project header suggest it be kept as flexible as possible. I think explicit designations would run counter to that.

In which case, perhaps some edits like these would invite more flexibility?

Quote:

The Tartarus is late to rendezvous with sister ship the Erebus to transfer prisoners. And you have the coordinates of where it might be found. Can you act fast enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been reminding me of some similar games, theme wise at least:
Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident
The Wreck of the B.S.M. Pandora
Obviously there are differences, but they may provide some inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Orel
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the First Mate's quarters (Upper 8) is still free, I'd like to give it a go.

Loved the last collaboration, this one looks a lot more complex!

Also, just noticed the link on the wiki page is going to the dungeon project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
kazozza wrote:
Also, just noticed the link on the wiki page is going to the dungeon project.

You got Upper 8 and I fixed the link - thanks for noting the error!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.